PDA

View Full Version : On the Pirates

DSpivack
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4199102

DumpJerry
05-23-2009, 03:45 PM
The Pittsburgh Twins. I hope it works.

By the way, why can't other teams *cough* White Sox *cough* follow a similar model? The Sox can still sign big name FAs while pursuing the diamond in the rough draft choices by implementing minor league training systems like the Twins and Pirates. I guess they are starting that under Buddy Bell.

Tragg
05-23-2009, 09:52 PM
The Pittsburgh Twins. I hope it works.

By the way, why can't other teams *cough* White Sox *cough* follow a similar model? The Sox can still sign big name FAs while pursuing the diamond in the rough draft choices by implementing minor league training systems like the Twins and Pirates. I guess they are starting that under Buddy Bell.
But even with Bell, the Sox remain more than willing to trade its prospects for veterans, something the twins don't do much of.

DumpJerry
05-23-2009, 11:34 PM
But even with Bell, the Sox remain more than willing to trade its prospects for veterans, something the twins don't do much of.
Twins don't like to spend money. They prefer to use homegrown talent until it is time to trade for more talent (except Mauer, he's a lifer with them being a local boy).

TomC727
05-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I see the Twins and their homegrown talent taking a big hit in the win column when their new stadium is built.

Their advantage on the crap turf will be dying soon.

palehozenychicty
05-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Good article. Huntington seems like he's taking a methodical approach. They are an absolute wreck, but Alvarez, Tabata, and McCutchen may become their next great nucleus with time.

ChicagoG19
05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I always thought it was a shame when great baseball towns like Cincy, Pittsburgh, and even Kansas City stink for so long. I like to see a little diversity in the playoffs from time to time. Hopefully these franchises can turn it around with the odds stacked against them (Not at the Sox expense though of course).

Madscout
05-24-2009, 11:56 AM
The Bucs will improve when they stop walking guys and have bullpen worth something. Until that happens, nothing else they do will matter.

TheVulture
05-24-2009, 02:16 PM
By the way, why can't other teams *cough* White Sox *cough* follow a similar model?

Yes, why can't the Sox follow the model of a team that hasn't had a winning season since 1992?

russ99
05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
The Bucs will improve when they stop walking guys and have bullpen worth something. Until that happens, nothing else they do will matter.

The Bucs will improve when they stop selling off their best players every year,