PDA

View Full Version : Harden on the DL

SoxGirl4Life
05-22-2009, 05:42 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/harden-goes-to-cubs-dl-with-back-strain.html

thomas35forever
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Here's what we warned Cubs fans about.

rdivaldi
05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
and the sun sets in the west....

Jaffar
05-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Now they can get Peavy and all will be right again in the universe.

Woofer
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Now they can get Peavy and all will be right again in the universe.

Yeah. I see Peavy on the scrubs within the next two weeks. They belong together.

DumpJerry
05-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Just today a caller on The Score was drooling at the fact that "Harden is just now getting his stride. The Cubs will be unstoppable!"

Oh well.

jabrch
05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Anyone surprised by this?

Not me...

SoxGirl4Life
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Just today a caller on The Score was drooling at the fact that "Harden is just now getting his stride. The Cubs will be unstoppable!"

Oh well.

Well, they were kinda right about hitting his stride. Its about time for his first DL stint of the season, isn't it?

GlassSox
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Anyone surprised by this?

Not me...

Not I :wink:

palehozenychicty
05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Water is wet.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Well, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

WizardsofOzzie
05-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm really starting to think he hurts them more than helps, even when he's not on the DL. Because he's so fragile, he can only go 5-6 innings most of the time and that taxes the bullpen. Throw in a couple more bad starts and you have your pen, which isn't great to begin with, giving up a lot of runs.

Red Barchetta
05-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Why do the Cubs fans think their .500 team is better than Peavy's current .500 team?! The Padres have gone on a roll and the NL West may turn into a two-horse race. Peavy's best move might be not making a move.

The SOX tried and I applaud KW for doing something to try and improve the team after watching Colon and Contreras struggle early.

Listening to the Cub fans comments, they feel it's only a matter of time before the team lives up to all it's potential and everyone get healthy. Do they realize the Brewers, Cardinals, Reds and other top national league teams might have a different opinion on the subject?! :rolleyes:

areilly
05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Listening to the Cub fans comments, they feel it's only a matter of time before the team lives up to all it's potential and everyone get healthy.

This type of belief system isn't exclusive to the Cubs' fanbase...

TommyJohn
05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
This type of belief system isn't exclusive to the Cubs' fanbase...No....really? Gee, thanks for that useful information.

kittle42
05-25-2009, 12:17 PM
This type of belief system isn't exclusive to the Cubs' fanbase...

No....really? Gee, thanks for that useful information.

That was a pretty uncalled for response.

areilly
05-25-2009, 12:18 PM
No....really? Gee, thanks for that useful information.

My point being that, considering we're in the exact same boat and with the Sox fanbase (hell, even the Sox themselves (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1590049,CST-SPT-ssep25.article)) clinging to the same idea, this isn't really the time for condescension towards the Northsiders' blind hope.

Red Barchetta
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
My point being that, considering we're in the exact same boat and with the Sox fanbase (hell, even the Sox themselves (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1590049,CST-SPT-ssep25.article)) clinging to the same idea, this isn't really the time for condescension towards the Northsiders' blind hope.

My original point was that Cubs fans (yes, more than other teams) often carry this blind hope too far. I have a few friends and family members who are Cub fans and they take this "if we were just healthy..." approach to an extreme.

Of course all teams, including the SOX, would like to be firing on all cylinders, however it's rare for any team to go through a season without fighting the injury bug. How good would the SOX have been those years when Frank was down with a bad foot? How good would the SOX have been last (post) season if Quentin, Contreras were healthy and Paulie wasn't playing hurt?

Sorry, but I lived through the Pryor-Wood era and it was painful to hear this stuff every season. My point was that my Cub fan friends and family are insistent that Peavy should sign with the Cubs now that Harden is down (again) as that would be his best chance at a post-season. Why?! The Cubs currently have three teams to climb over in the NL Central, two of which may be among the best teams in the league, so nothing is guaranteed even if the Cubs do get healthy. San Diego currently only have the Dodgers in front of them who have been playing .500 ball since Ramirez was suspended. Heck, the SOX won 90 games in 2006 and came in third place in the AL Central.

DrCrawdad
05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
My original point was that Cubs fans (yes, more than other teams) often carry this blind hope too far. I have a few friends and family members who are Cub fans and they take this "if we were just healthy..." approach to an extreme.

Of course all teams, including the SOX, would like to be firing on all cylinders, however it's rare for any team to go through a season without fighting the injury bug. How good would the SOX have been those years when Frank was down with a bad foot? How good would the SOX have been last (post) season if Quentin, Contreras were healthy and Paulie wasn't playing hurt?

Sorry, but I lived through the Pryor-Wood era and it was painful to hear this stuff every season. My point was that my Cub fan friends and family are insistent that Peavy should sign with the Cubs now that Harden is down (again) as that would be his best chance at a post-season. Why?! The Cubs currently have three teams to climb over in the NL Central, two of which may be among the best teams in the league, so nothing is guaranteed even if the Cubs do get healthy. San Diego currently only have the Dodgers in front of them who have been playing .500 ball since Ramirez was suspended. Heck, the SOX won 90 games in 2006 and came in third place in the AL Central.

How anyone, especially someone who calls themselves a Sox fan, could think that Cubbie fans and Sox fans are on par with each other as far "blind hope" (credulity?) boggles my mind. I think Sox fans and Cubbie fans are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as "blind hope" (credulity, or being pollannas).

BTW here are the current Cubbie starting pitching staff ERA [you know the staff ballyhooed (even by a few here) as a staff locked for a slot in the World Series]:

Zambrano 4.64
Dempster: 4.99
Lilly: 3.77
Harden: 4.74
Marshall: 3.96

TheOldRoman
05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I think Sox fans and Cubbie fans are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as "blind hope" (credulity, or being pollannas).I agree. Maybe it is in response to the blind optimism of Cubs fans, but it seems like a large portion of the Sox fanbase has blind pessimism. I would say both extremes are equally annoying.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Listening to the Cub fans comments, they feel it's only a matter of time before the team lives up to all it's potential and everyone get healthy.

The dinosaurs also believed they'd live forever. Ask Sue at the Field Museum how that worked out for her. :tongue:

TommyJohn
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I agree. Maybe it is in response to the blind optimism of Cubs fans, but it seems like a large portion of the Sox fanbase has blind pessimism. I would say both extremes are equally annoying.

OK, now this statement I agree with.

Red Barchetta
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
OK, now this statement I agree with.

Me too!

white sox bill
05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I agree. Maybe it is in response to the blind optimism of Cubs fans, but it seems like a large portion of the Sox fanbase has blind pessimism. I would say both extremes are equally annoying.

Is this tied in any shape or form as to why cub fans tell you why they go to games and Sox fans tell you why they don't?

soxfan2504
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
In other news, islands are pieces of land completely surrounded by water.