PDA

View Full Version : I can't be mad at Peavy for staying in San Diego

captainclutch24
05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I can't blame peavy for not wanting to come here and either should you. For one he has always said the only AL team he was interested in playing for was the Angels and that is because they are in Southern California.

Why would he want to go from one team with a piss poor offense to another team with piss poor offense. The Padres are ranked 30th in BA, 28th in OBP, 30th in Runs, and 16th in HRs.The White Sox are ranked 26th in BA, 26th in OBP, 28th in Runs, and 20th in HRs. His major complaint with the Padres has been their inability to score runs, constantly forcing the pitchers to pitch shut outs to have a shot at winning. It would be no different for him coming to the White Sox right now, as the Sox offense is dismal and pathetic. It wouldn't be fair to him night after night to watch him give up 2 or 3 runs, and be in line for the loss. Plus our bullpen has been crappy with a 4.40 ERA so why would he want to come here with a bullpen that is worse than San Diegos which has a 4.22 era.

Also, why would he want to accept a trade from a team that is gonna probably win between 66-74 games, to a team that will win around 74-80 games. It is not a better situation for him to go to right now. If the Sox were a contender, and this had been near the all star break then he might of said yes but at this point I can't blame him for not wanting to come to the southside.

Finally, for those of you who think he is scared of AL hitting that is a load of crap.
Here are his interleague stats.
20Games/12HOME/8AWAY/8W/8L/120.1INN/48R45ER/113K/109H/33BB/13HR
That is a game average of
6.0INN/3.37ERA/8.45K9/8.15H9/1.18WHIP/0.97HR9
His stats on the road when there is a DH
8GAMES/4W/4L/48.2INN/17R16ER/50K/35H/15W/7HR
6.0INN/2.96ERA/9.34K9/6.54H9/1.04WHIP/1.31HR9.

As you can see, Peavy pitched much better playing American League teams when a DH was present. In 6 of his 8 losses the Padres scored 2 runs or less, and in 6 of the 8 losses he gave up only 3 Earned runs, and 4 earned in the other 2. Peavy was not gonna turn the Sox season around, as this team needs a lot more help. There is no reason to bitch, moan, and groan because he did the smart thing for his career right now by staying with San Diego. I would have loved to have seen him in a Sox uniform, but it is very easy to understand why he didn't accept that trade.

Flight #24
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Finally, for those of you who think he is scared of AL hitting that is a load of crap.
Here are his interleague stats.
20Games/12HOME/8AWAY/8W/8L/120.1INN/48R45ER/113K/109H/33BB/13HR
6.0INN/3.37ERA/8.45K9/8.15H9/1.18WHIP/0.97HR9
His stats on the road when there is a DH
8GAMES/4W/4L/48.2INN/17R16ER/50K/35H/15W/7HR
6.0INN/2.96ERA/9.34K9/6.54H9/1.04WHIP/1.31HR9.

Ah, now I get it....clear as day!

SoxGirl4Life
05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't we have 105 of these threads already?

kittle42
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
None quite as sucky as this one.

psyclonis
05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
That's a small sample size and doesn't take into account the talent of the opposing teams.
Also when you factor in it was the first time he faced those AL teams, the stats will seem bloated.
Is he a great NL pitcher? Yes.
Would he be a great AL pitcher? We'll never know.

scarsofthumper
05-22-2009, 05:35 PM
The Sox can do a lot better for that money, that's for sure. and for less commitment too.

Woofer
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, they could have kept Vazquez, and signed Garland for that kind of money.

chisox77
05-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Give KW credit for thinking big. But I don't blame Peavy for not coming here either.

guillensdisciple
05-22-2009, 07:04 PM
The White Sox have one of the better bullpens, if not the best, in the majors. Your stat is inflated because we throw out people like Gobble and Broadway to pitch. Watch Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, and Jenks then speak to me about our bullpen.

Give our bullpen a lead and you are almost guaranteed a win.

NLaloosh
05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
This trade was a bad deal for everyone except the Padres. They would atleast be free of a monstrous contract and would have received 4 solid pitching prospects - 1 a big leaguer already.

And, they can finish last with or without Peavy.

If I were Peavy I would have turned the trade down as well. He's much better off waiting for the Pads to trade him to a NL team- which they will.

The Sox have way too many holes to benefit from adding 1 good starting pitcher with all of their cash. They wouldn't win the division this year or next just by adding Peavy. They would need to add a lot more.

Thatguyoverthere
05-22-2009, 07:29 PM
The front end of the bullpen completely blows, but the back end of it is awesome. They're the only strength of this team right now. Unfortunately they don't get many leads to protect.

DSpivack
05-22-2009, 09:49 PM
This trade was a bad deal for everyone except the Padres. They would atleast be free of a monstrous contract and would have received 4 solid pitching prospects - 1 a big leaguer already.

And, they can finish last with or without Peavy.

If I were Peavy I would have turned the trade down as well. He's much better off waiting for the Pads to trade him to a NL team- which they will.

The Sox have way too many holes to benefit from adding 1 good starting pitcher with all of their cash. They wouldn't win the division this year or next just by adding Peavy. They would need to add a lot more.

Really? Adding a top-of-the-line SP to a team that is mediocre at the worst wouldn't make them a contender in one of baseball's weakest divisions?

jabrch
05-22-2009, 10:56 PM
I can't be MAD at him. I do hope that the Pads find a way to hold on to him until his full NTC is gone, and then they really stick it to him and send him somewhere ****ty.

I'm not mad at him. He doesn't want to be here - I'm glad he didn't come just to make a few extra mm guaranteed. I'd be mad if he showed up here, didn't want to be here, and acted like a rotten turd.

Tragg
05-23-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm glad he stayed in San Diego. Pitchers park, flyballs, national league to launching pad, flyballs and the American league.

We don't need to be trading our pitching prospects anyway.

Average Homeboy
05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Why would he accept a trade to a worse team, in a tougher league, and 2,000 miles away from his home?

NLaloosh
05-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Really? Adding a top-of-the-line SP to a team that is mediocre at the worst wouldn't make them a contender in one of baseball's weakest divisions?

Really. I wouldn't bet on the Sox winning the division if they added him right now without giving up anything.

The lineup is a complete mess. They have NO offensive stars on the team. Offensively, they get average production from C, LF, RF, 1B and DH. They get almost nothing from CF, 2B, SS and 3B. That's why this has been the least productive offense in baseball thus far.

And, the defense.........? OMFG!

Oh, did I mention fundamentals, execution, base running etc. ? They're almost like a high school team in their inabilities to play the game at a professional level up and down the lineup.

southside rocks
05-23-2009, 07:17 AM
The White Sox's bad Thursday made The Dugout ...

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/05/22/the-dugout-the-white-sox-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad/