PDA

View Full Version : Pitching and Hitting but what about DEFENSE? AKA Missing Uribe

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Pods still plays a scary OF, Dye is OK if it's hit to him.
Didn't resign Crede, Uribe in favor of Josh Fields.
Ramirez-major ????
AJ-no one holds the runners vs. ability to throw runners out.

Is BA the best defensive player on this team?

This is starting to remind me of the post 77 Veeck years with guys like Lamar Johnson.

I wonder where the Sox are ranked in defense.

nccwsfan
05-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=3&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2009&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1)

If you go by Team Fielding % they're at the bottom 1/3 of the majors- and yes BA is easily the best defensive player on this team.

Woofer
05-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Betemit has no reason to ever put on a mitt again. He is killing us. Alexei has had some problems at short. Pods has been pretty bad with the glove also, but he never was all that great. We all knew that going in, that Fields was no Crede, in fact, he's also no Uribe. In my opinion, everyone else has been pretty solid.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Betemit has no reason to ever put on a mitt again.

Maybe he needs a betta mit. :redneck

GoGoCrede
05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe he needs a betta mit. :redneck

:rolling:

Daver
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
The White Sox organizational model is offense oriented, from the lowest level of the minors up, if you can hit you get promoted. Defense is almost purely optional.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
The White Sox organizational model is offense oriented, from the lowest level of the minors up, if you can hit you get promoted. Defense is almost purely optional.

I think I've witnessed 4 decades of that.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Betemit has no reason to ever put on a mitt again. He is killing us. Alexei has had some problems at short. Pods has been pretty bad with the glove also, but he never was all that great. We all knew that going in, that Fields was no Crede, in fact, he's also no Uribe. In my opinion, everyone else has been pretty solid.
I didn't support that trade from the beginning. This team just seems emotionless and could use the liveliness Swisher brought to the clubhouse (and I thought Swisher was a better player anyways).

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I didn't support that trade from the beginning. This team just seems emotionless and could use the liveliness Swisher brought to the clubhouse (and I thought Swisher was a better player anyways).

I don't think his personality would have any effect. I'm sure he would be emotionless too.

How is that other guy doing in the minors they got out of that deal?

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Even though he wasn't Robin Ventura out there, Uribe was pretty solid defensively and came through with his bat more than a few times. I didn't think I'd be missing him this much when I found out he wasn't gonna be with this team anymore. Right now, the only infielder I have total confidence in is Paulie and NOBODY else!

I miss...Juan Uribe! :o:

eastchicagosoxfan
05-21-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm with you on this one.

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Even though he wasn't Robin Ventura out there, Uribe was pretty solid defensively and came through with his bat more than a few times. I didn't think I'd be missing him this much when I found out he wasn't gonna be with this team anymore. Right now, the only infielder I have total confidence in is Paulie and NOBODY else!

+1

Uribe 10X better than Betemit.

Unfortunately I don't think we could have signed him w/out offering arbitration first.

Am I correct on that?

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
all aspects of our game are bad right not with the exception the bullpen.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately I don't think we could have signed him w/out offering arbitration first.

Am I correct on that?

That's exactly why he was let go. Uribe would have at least cost the Sox 4x what Betemit is earning. Unfortunately, I never though Betemit would be 1/1,000th the player Uribe is.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
So glad we traded Ryan Sweeney so we could end up with Betemit.

I would much rather have Uribe at third base. He strikes out as much as Fields, but is a much better fielder.

JB98
05-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I can't say that I miss Juan Uribe, but 3B is obviously a problem for the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
So glad we traded Ryan Sweeney so we could end up with Betemit.

I would much rather have Uribe at third base. He strikes out as much as Fields, but is a much better fielder.
May we permanently change Josh's last name to Antifields? Where's this impressive defense I've been hearing of?

JB98
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
May we permanently change Josh's last name to Antifields? Where's this impressive defense I've been hearing of?

I believe it is Josh "I Can't" Fields.

Apparently, he can't hit either.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM

He wasn't very impressive during his stints up here prior to this season. I wonder why KW was so willing to go with him and not even try to re-sign Crede.

JB98
05-21-2009, 10:59 PM
He wasn't very impressive during his stints up here prior to this season. I wonder why KW was so willing to go with him and not even try to re-sign Crede.

Crede hasn't been healthy in two years. I agreed with the decision to let him go.

It's a little early to give up on Fields, but I'm discouraged by what I've seen so far this year.

MetroPD
05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm not going to go that far in missing Juan Uribe. There are a great number of things wrong with the ball club. Defensively we're attrocious, however that still doesnt negate the fact that we hit like a high school ball club.

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Crede hasn't been healthy in two years. I agreed with the decision to let him go.

It's a little early to give up on Fields, but I'm discouraged by what I've seen so far this year.

I think May is a bit late to give up on him, but this is THE year for Josh. If he keeps playing like this, time to put this experiment to an end.

JB98
05-21-2009, 11:12 PM
I think May is a bit late to give up on him, but this is THE year for Josh. If he keeps playing like this, time to put this experiment to an end.

Yeah, it's now or never for Fields.

Redus Redux
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, it's now or never for Fields.

Yes. It is now or never or endless-Brian-Anderson-type-banter-about-how-the-chance-he-got-wasnt-real

kevingrt
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM

Uribe was more then pretty solid defensively. He played above average at 2B, SS, and 3B. I definitely wondered why we let go of him after this year and thought we would regret it especially with Fields taking over at 3B and an unknown 2B taking over. I was definitely right for once. I thought Betemit would more then cover for Uribe's AB but Betemit just has no idea what to do on the field.

I agree why'd we not sign Uribe?

DSpivack
05-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Reading this made me think I may be just as bad as Kittle. I prefer Josh "Seldom" Fields because it's closer to being grammatically correct. :redface:

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
As I stated in the "If you were KW" he sure would look good at 3b right now.

russ99
05-22-2009, 06:49 AM
How is Alexei a question mark? Maybe at the plate so far, but certainly not in the field.

He has tremendous range, especially to the third base side, and a heck of an arm. He's been better than Cabrera defensively and that's saying something.

Hmmm... is this just another "We love BA" and bash Pods thread in disguise? Besides, Brian misread a ball and missed wide on an easy throw to to the plate yesterday, so don't give him the gold glove just yet.

Again, infield defense has vastly more impact on a game than CF defense and our infield defence is pretty decent. I'd go as a far as saying it's in the top half of the league.

And lumping in Betemit doesn't count. He's a bench player.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2009, 06:53 AM
...and our infield defence is pretty decent. I'd go as a far as saying it's in the top half of the league.

And lumping in Betemit doesn't count. He's a bench player.

Any infield with Fields starting at third cannot be considered "in the top half of the league."

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Yes. It is now or never or endless-Brian-Anderson-type-banter-about-how-the-chance-he-got-wasnt-real

At least that certain center fielder fields his position very well. Fields cannot field his position very well at all. So, because he's so bad with the glove, Fields needs to hit well enough to outweigh glove, and/or to be good enough for teams to consider him at 1B/DH. If not, he's Jeff Liefer.

russ99
05-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Any infield with Fields starting at third cannot be considered "in the top half of the league."

I don't have a problem with Fields defensively. He's certainly our weak link, but he's improved a lot since last year. My issue with him is his bat.

FoulkeFan
05-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Another plus for Uribe - he could lay down a bunt.

Heffalump
05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I too am embarassed to say that I miss Juany!

I didn't think we could find a guy that hacks worse and strikes out more than Uribe, but we did!

And boy, do I miss Uribe's defense! Not only does Fields make some stupid errors, but there are soooo many balls hit his way that he can't get to that Uribe would have had a play on.

If Josh's bat ever wakes up, I can deal with the D, but right now, I REALLY miss Juany!

kitekrazy
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM

I think that was Kenny's plan all long.

ode to veeck
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Exactly and we already knew he was never gonna be a real 3rd baseman, let alone solid with the stick, been obvious all along he's a question mark for where you use him in the field and we alredy have a quality 1B (offensively and with the leather too--Paulie's more than decent on D at 1B)

ode to veeck
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM

This is the sad truth of the matter and really lies on KW's shoulders more than anyone else's--it has really become much more so as KW's reign matured.

Chicken Dinner
05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
This is the scary stat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=mlb&groupByTeam=true&sitSplit=&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=R

doublem23
05-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Another plus for Uribe - he could lay down a bunt.

No he couldn't.

khan
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

I think what we're getting out of Fields is exactly what he's always been: A middling [at best] defender, and a K-in-waiting.

I supported trading away Fields before 2008, before the rest of the world discovered what we already knew about Fields and his blaring inadequacies as a player. Now, we're stuck with him, for better, or for worse. [No wonder KW signed Viciedo; Here's hoping he doesn't develop the same allergy to defense that Fields has had his entire career.]

Frankfan4life
05-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I didn't support that trade from the beginning. This team just seems emotionless and could use the liveliness Swisher brought to the clubhouse (and I thought Swisher was a better player anyways).Thanks for having the courage to express an unpopular opinion around here about Swisher. I happen to agree with you.

As for the defensive play, yes it's not good but it has been difficult for the defense to perform together consistently with all the different lineup changes due to Ozzie and injuries. Lately, the injuries have been like a plague upon this team.

Nevertheless, right now I have to give KW a thumbs-down on his moves this season. :fail:

Rohan
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
maybe he needs a betta mit. :redneck

potw material

angiew
05-22-2009, 12:49 PM
This is the scary stat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&c_id=mlb&groupByTeam=true&sitSplit=&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=R

How depressing:whiner:

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
What else would you expect from a product of the Sox farm system?

balke
05-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I said this last year when everyone hated Uribe. We were very spoiled with Uribe and Crede on that left side of the infield. Uribe even if he hits .200 really played solid Defensively and helped the Sox win ball games.

Now fields is hitting worse than Even Uribe did, and looks like a target at 3rd base more than a defender.

I would love to see the Sox find a way to dump Betemit from the face of the planet, and acquire a Blum/Uribe type of low avg. and good defense at 3rd for bench play.

EDIT: I should clarify that I think Fields will hit better, and should be. I even see small improvement at defense, but right now he's not ready to be the Sox everyday 3Bman. He should be splitting time with a good defender.

ChicagoG19
05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Well Kenny has no problems bringing players back (e.g. Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar), so maybe some of you will get your wish and Uribe will be back on the southside. I am actually indifferent.

kitekrazy
05-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Well Kenny has no problems bringing players back (e.g. Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar), so maybe some of you will get your wish and Uribe will be back on the southside. I am actually indifferent.

I'm afraid he'll bring back the Alomars.