PDA

View Full Version : White Sox-Padres, Jake Peavy Trade Speculation Thread, Part 3

Pages : [1] 2 3

doublem23
05-21-2009, 12:30 PM
That's 10 tomatoes, people.

Continue...

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:30 PM
This guy sounds like a tool. Who cares if your ERA is a little lower in the NL. It is all relative, and he has just a good of shot at winning in the AL. Actually better since there are only 14 teams. I really doubt this goes through. As I previously said, when a story breaks this early they usually fall apart. Except the Griffey deal of course.:D:

It didn't break early, though. They have supposedly been talking for a week, and nothing broke until the deal was either already done or very close to it, because Peavy was asked about it last night.

EndemicSox
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
:gulp:

What I'll be doing if/when this falls through...

I kind of wish this was kept private...

Frankie5Angels
I say let him stay in San Diego. If he is that worried about coming to the AL, I don't want him. Evidently he wants to stay in the NL for a reason.

rocky biddle
Awesome. Now Kaplan's co-hosting the pre-game show.

ChiSoxFan81
It didn't break early, though. They have supposedly been talking for a week, and nothing broke until the deal was either already done or very close to it, because Peavy was asked about it last night.

Didn't I see somewhere that KW has been looking into Peavy for 11 months too?

DSpivack
05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I think that talk is all BS. Linebrink said that it isn't a factor to him, and I don't see any reason why Linebrink would lie about it.

Linebrink would probably be referring to discussions he had with Peavy. What his agent is telling him is another thing.

kruzer31
05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess if my bosses at work had the option to trade me to another police department pending my approval I would have to take a day or two to think about it as well. I am comfortable where and who I work for and really get along with the people I work with. Wakin up and goin to work knowing its a comfortable atmoshpere is really soothing. So I guess I can empatize with Jake Peavy. Its a big life change for him and his family , etc. So if he does reject the trade, I will not HATE him like I though I would

JEFF

Dibbs
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Perhaps, but it would be nice if Kenny stopped going after guys with a NTC. It would be a little better for my personal health and well being.

30 minutes until the game starts I need something to take my mind off this deal.

soxfan21
I say let him stay in San Diego. If he is that worried about coming to the AL, I don't want him. Evidently he wants to stay in the NL for a reason.

It's cause he's not Chicago tough.

Konerko05
05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Linebrink would probably be referring to discussions he had with Peavy. What his agent is telling him is another thing.

What's weird is that his agent made statements like "if I had to bet on it." Then he said he only spoke with Peavy for a half hour last night. I wonder how old this information is. He's had to be talking to Peavy about it today.

pythons007
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Awesome. Now Kaplan's co-hosting the pre-game show.

I hate Kaplan! Complete and moronic sports anaylist or whatever the hell he is. I still rememeber during a White Sox rain delay this year, he talked nothing but Cubs.

cws05champ
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
If Peavy was just told about it last night, it's a big move to think about moving two school age kids. But, he seemingly already was set to move to Chicago for the other team, and it is the perfect time to move with the kids done with school in a week or so. So what does this really come down to?

Frankie5Angels
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
It's cause he's not Chicago tough.
He's a *****. A player that has balls, takes the trade to wherever it is they are traded to. To say you want to stay in the NL, shows me, he is a *****.

EndemicSox
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
If Peavy was just told about it last night, it's a big move to think about moving two school age kids. But, he seemingly already was set to move to Chicago for the other team, and it is the perfect time to move with the kids done with school in a week or so. So what does this really come down to?

Him liking or disliking the Sox's chances over the next 5 years. I'm not holding my breath.

Frankie5Angels
He wants to stay in the NL. He was lobbying to be traded to the CUbs in the offseason, but now he needs to think about it? Bull****. The guy is a coward and he is basically saying he will get lit up in the AL. Stay your ass in S.D. you coward.

soltrain21
He's a *****. A player that has balls, takes the trade to wherever it is they are traded to. To say you want to stay in the NL, shows me, he is a *****.

You realize they have many personal issues that go into this decision, right? They are, when it comes down to it, normal human beings.

Konerko05
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Great. Now you just scared him away. He was reading this thread to get an gauge on Sox fans before accepting the trade.

soxfan43
Not sure if this update has been posted in the 3 threads: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9596644/Sources:-Approval-needed-for-Peavy-to-ChiSox

Another quote from his agent saying if thinks were made more desirable(most likely guaranteeing that final yr) a deal might happen.

dwalteroo
More kinda-relevant info:

http://www.gaslampball.com/2009/5/21/882497/jake-peavy-did-not-show-up-at-gym

rdwj
I don't know why, but I still have a REALLY good feeling about this?

In fact, I'm ordering my Peavy jersey RIGHT ****ING NOW!

DSpivack
05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Not sure if this update has been posted in the 3 threads: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9596644/Sources:-Approval-needed-for-Peavy-to-ChiSox

Another quote from his agent saying if thinks were made more desirable(most likely guaranteeing that final yr) a deal might happen.

I'm honestly not sure that's it. I think his agent has an agenda to steer him away from the Sox.

Frankie5Angels
You realize they have many personal issues that go into this decision, right? They are, when it comes down to it, normal human beings.
Bull****. He would come to Chicago in a heartbeat if it was the Cubs. I guarantee it and everyone knows it.

Boondock Saint

He wants to stay in the NL. He was lobbying to be traded to the CUbs in the offseason, but now he needs to think about it? Bull****. The guy is a coward and he is basically saying he will get lit up in the AL. Stay your ass in S.D. you coward.

Epic :rolleyes:.

oeo
More kinda-relevant info:

http://www.gaslampball.com/2009/5/21/882497/jake-peavy-did-not-show-up-at-gym

This is kind of like baggage claim information.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Bull****. He would come to Chicago in a heartbeat if it was the Cubs. I guarantee it and everyone knows it.

...because you're so informed on the situation, right? Again, :rolleyes:.

dwalteroo
05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
This is kind of like baggage claim information.

I hear he ate Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies this morning too. Clearly, he's accepting.

ChiSoxFan81

Cost of living? Really? The guy lives around San Diego now. Where could he possibly go that could be much worse?

soxfan43
...because you're so informed on the situation, right? Again, :rolleyes:.

Didn't him and his agent basically say he wanted to be a cub all winter?

Jimmy John
Um, I'd say he obviously has bigger fish to fry at the moment than go to the gym. I wouldn't read too much into that.

It's Time
I'm REALLY starting to think that Towers just played KW to up the asking price for teams interested in Peavy at the deadline.

It's called a GM chess match and KW is the pawn. I have no doubt Hendry has been in touch with Towers since this trade was agreed to. :angry:

Redus Redux
Peavy wants that last year picked up.

Now that the Sox fanbase has been electrified perhaps they have some leverage here.

But to their credit, the Sox have shown no compunction about letting us down time and time again when expectations over a deal are high. As much as I hate it, it probably contributed to the 05 ring in a few ways.

BadBobbyJenks
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He has the no trade clause in his contract. It is solely up to him to decide what the best move for him is.

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I hear he ate Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies this morning too. Clearly, he's accepting.

Maybe he bought a Bo Flex? :shrug:

soltrain21

Yes. We COMPLETELY know that. With all of these multiple sources we surely know what he is thinking. Why does it suck so much to be the lowly White Sox?

FielderJones
Maybe Kenny asked him to not make it official until after 1:00pm CDT so the official announcement could be made at the game. :happyguy:

doublem23
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Oh my god, dude, at least let the man actually make a decision before you lambast him for it.

soltrain21
I'm REALLY starting to think that Towers just played KW to up the asking price for teams interested in Peavy at the deadline.

It's called a GM chess match and KW is the pawn. I have no doubt Hendry has been in touch with Towers since this trade was agreed to. :angry:

This is getting ****ing insane.

oeo
Yes. We COMPLETELY know that. With all of these multiple sources we surely know what he is thinking. Why does it suck so much to be the lowly White Sox?

Uh...don't you guys know that he was singing "Go Cubs Go!"...?

aryzner
Linebrink talking to Rongey now.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Except KW has apparently been working on this deal for a year now.

Frankie5Angels
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh my god, dude, at least let the man actually make a decision before you lambast him for it.
I call them as I see them.

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I have no doubt Hendry has been in touch with Towers since this trade was agreed to. :angry:

If there's an agreement, wouldn't that be illegal?

GoGoCrede
05-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Linebrink talking to Rongey now.

Can you update us on what he's saying? Can't tune in right now.

WhiteSox1983
cost of living? bwahahaha poor baseball players.

Boondock Saint
Except KW has apparently been working on this deal for a year now.

C'mon, don't you know that every GM in MLB has it in for the Sox? They get bonuses for screwing the Sox and crushing their fans.

soltrain21

You haven't seen anything yet.

ChiSoxFan81

Get your prescription checked.

doublem23

Congratulations.

So, if Jake actually accepts, you'll be the first to admit that your posts are ****ing crazy?

aryzner
Can you update us on what he's saying? Can't tune in right now.
Honestly he didn't really say anything of interest. Just how he doesn't know what he'll do, he had to talk to his family and think about it. That's it really.

soxfanatlanta
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He has the no trade clause in his contract. It is solely up to him to decide what the best move for him is.

Thank you.

Flight #24
That Rosenthal article actually made me feel a lot better. Talking about contractual things like picking up the option, changing the partial NTC to a full NTC, etc. Those make it sound like it's about the negotiations rather than him not wanting to come. For example, if he's willing to come if they pick up the option, then there's a possible compromise (say they increase the buyout in the option year). If he just didn't want to come to the AL, that would be a harder threshold to get over.

Plus, if these factors are still being negotiated, I'd fully expect the agent to say "right now I'd guess he won't come, but we're still talking" just to maintain PR leverage on the Sox.

Boondock Saint
Congratulations.

So, if Jake actually accepts, you'll be the first to admit that you're a ****ing idiot?

Dude, he's obviously a ***** and a coward, and you know it...

oeo
Honestly he didn't really say anything of interest. Just how he doesn't know what he'll do, he had to talk to his family and think about it. That's it really.

What's Linebrink doing? He should be flying out there right now to pull Peavy's ass onto a plane to Chicago.

Frankie5Angels
05-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Congratulations.

So, if Jake actually accepts, you'll be the first to admit that you're a ****ing idiot?
Do you really believe he is gonna accept this? The guy doesn't want to come to the AL. It's as simple as that.

Domeshot17
Maybe Burls and Thome can take him hunting

It's Time
If there's an agreement, wouldn't that be illegal?

Good question. However, I think the agreement is probably in principle, nothing in writing.

I'm just a bit miffed as to why the Pads would agree to this KNOWING Peavy's desire to stay in the NL. It all seems a bit strange.

scarsofthumper
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
He has a no trade clause and can pitch wherever the hell he wants to. If he wants to pitch for the Cubs, Braves, Brewers, or wherever, than that's entire up to him. If he doesn't want to pitch for the White Sox then he doesn't have to. There are players that like the AL better and players that like the NL better. To call him a ***** because he doesn't wanna pitch for the White Sox just shows your ignorance.

GoGoCrede

I'd still like to send him a fruit basket if it goes through. Hell, I'd send him an entire bushel.

soxfanreggie
Do we have a record going on for the number of viewers (members and guests) viewing a thread?

Sockinchisox
FWIW, Axelrod hasn't spoken to Peavy since yesterday afternoon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/wires/05/21/2010.ap.bbo.padres.white.sox.trade.0200/

ChiSoxFan81
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Do you really believe he is gonna accept this? The guy doesn't want to come to the AL. It's as simple as that.

Keep digging that hole....

Jimmy John
I still think if he really, REALLY didn't want to come to the Sox/the AL he would've rejected it from the beginning.

BadBobbyJenks
I got tickets for Saturday so this has to go down!

Boondock Saint

Christ almighty, would you just take this stupid negative crap elsewhere? You don't know any more what Peavy's thinking than anyone else, so stop with the definitives.

EndemicSox
05-21-2009, 12:51 PM
The only way I'll come out of this angry(I'll certainly be depressed for a day or two, hell probably the rest of this horrible season) is if we learn that Uncle Jerry and his merry band of owners played a role in this falling through. This info will probably be kept private, but someone will leak the info eventually.

JB98
Frankly, I don't think this has anything to do with moving his family to Chicago. If this were the Cubs, he would have already accepted and the entire North Side would be singing "Go Cubs Go" this afternoon.

It comes down to whether Peavy wants to pitch in the AL and play for Ozzie. I have no idea what he will decide. I hope he comes here, but if he declines, that is his right.

oeo

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/wires/05/21/2010.ap.bbo.padres.white.sox.trade.0200/

Why the hell is the agent talking to the media before his client? He sounds like a keeper.

Frankie5Angels
He has a no trade clause and can pitch wherever the hell he wants to. If he wants to pitch for the Cubs, Braves, Brewers, or wherever, than that's entire up to him. If he doesn't want to pitch for the White Sox then he doesn't have to. There are players that like the AL better and players that like the NL better. To call him a ***** because he doesn't wanna pitch for the White Sox just shows your ignorance.
And I say those players who refuse to be traded to another league, are also *******.

Flight #24

Adds fuel to the "its a negotiating stance" aspect of his comments that Peavy's leaning away from the deal.

voodoochile
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM

You need glasses... Coke bottle glasses.

Chez
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Which is almost exactly what Griffey said last year. I don't blame the guy for wanting to think about it.

amsteel
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
If KW has been working this deal for 11 months, why is the NTC a stumbling block now? They couldn't have figured this out before?

doublem23

And where the hell do you get off making definitive statements like he won't?

I fully expect you to link to these posts in your sig, if Jake Peavy accepts, so this way people will know what it means in the future when you "call 'em like you see 'em."

:rolleyes:

Flight #24
It comes down to whether Peavy wants to pitch in the AL and play for Ozzie. I have no idea what he will decide. I hope he comes here, but if he declines, that is his right.

My guess is it's about getting the option picked up and/or the partial NTC turned into a full NTC. Which could both be deal-breakers for the Sox. They wouldn't give Burls a full NTC, how could they give Peavy one?

But hopefully they can work something like a bigger buyout on the option year and/or a better but still partial NTC.

Boondock Saint
And I say those players who refuse to be traded to another league, are also *******.

And I'm sure these players are crying themselves to sleep over your disapproval of their freedom of choice.

EnglishChiSox
05-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Why the hell is the agent talking to the media before his client? He sounds like a keeper.

Awesome name though.

doublem23
Maybe Burls and Thome can take him hunting

At the very least, Mark's got room to carpool to the park on Gameday.

http://deadspin.com/5263393/mark-buehrles-truck-will-cause-ice-caps-to-melt

Foulke You
Not sure if this was mentioned but Scott Linebrink was just on the radio during the pre-game show and he said Peavy called him last night to ask a bunch of questions about the team, the city, and such. Linebrink mentioned that it is nice being in the central time zone and that Peavy would be closer to his home in Alabama. Linebrink told him mostly good things about us and the city but mentioned to him that it isn't as "low key" as San Diego which is a fair observation. When Ranger pressed him if he knew which way Peavy was leaning, Linebrink mentioned that he wasn't allowed to comment on that.

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
If KW has been working this deal for 11 months, why is the NTC a stumbling block now? They couldn't have figured this out before?

The NTC clause would be the very last thing to come up.

JB98
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Good questions. Why would San Diego spend the time scouting the Sox players involved in the deal - and spend a lot of time negotiating with KW - if Peavy wasn't willing to come here? :scratch:

It's Time
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
LOL at anyone thinking they'll trade him to the Dodgers. The Pads won't make a deal for him in they're division. Seriously now, get real.

Thome_Fan
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Would you rather Scott Boras?

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Good questions. Why would San Diego spend the time scouting the Sox players involved in the deal - and spend a lot of time negotiating with KW - if Peavy wasn't willing to come here? :scratch:

They likely did ask him if he was willing, but being willing and actually making the decision are two different things. That's a pretty big decision to just pick up and move across the country.

kobo
05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
They likely did ask him if he was willing, but being willing and actually making the decision are two different things. That's a pretty big decision to just pick up and move across the country.
Didn't seem to be that big of a decision when the Cubs were involved in trade talks over the winter.

It's Time

My ass! If this were the Cubs, he would have been here last night.

oeo
Would you rather Scott Boras?

As much of a dick he is, he would likely know for a fact the best interests of his client before blabbing to the media. That's not very good representation. Throw them a couple of no comments and get back to them after you know for a fact what is on Peavy's mind.

Big D

I'm guessing it's because they've already tried and failed to work out deals with the 3-4 NL teams Peavy's willing to go to, and they're desperate to unload his salary as soon as possible. This is pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres were the ones to make this public, to try to pressure Peavy to accept the deal. Now that it's public, if he rejects the deal he takes a PR hit by looking like he doesn't care about winning and is scared of the AL.

Boondock Saint

Exactly. If you ask if he's willing to waive it beforehand, it's easy to just dismiss the idea. After a deal is worked worked out, it becomes a bigger decision.

oeo
05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
My ass! If this were the Cubs, he would have been here last night.

Why, because someone said they saw him singing that lame Cubs song? Just like Kobe told that kid to buy a Bulls jersey?

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Gammons is on Sportscenter right now.

kruzer31
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
No Dodgers for Peavy

It's Time
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Why, because someone said they saw him singing that lame Cubs song? Just like Kobe told that kid to buy a Bulls jersey?

“Obviously, Chicago was a team that I did have an interest in playing for, and I respect [general manager] Jim Hendry and the organization,” he said. “I respect a lot of the players they have and feel like they have a good bunch, and obviously [it’s] a great city. [Those] were reasons I identified the Cubs as a team I wanted to be a part of if I had to move on from San Diego."

Peavy is full of it. He knows Chicago is a great city and he didn't need to ask Linebrink that.

guillensdisciple
Gammons is on Sportscenter right now.

What is he saying?

This trade would boost the Sox back into every kind of contention, and I mean every kind of contention. This kind of guy can probably straighten out pitchers like Floyd, and having a rotation of Peavy, Mark, and Danks as the first three would be amazing.

Come on Peavy, say yes, for me:D:.

mantis1212
Morrissey is reporting (toward the bottom) that the Sox have NOT given a Thursday afternoon deadline as reported earlier. This could take a while.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-090521-morrissey-jake-peavy-white-sox-padres,0,6124026.column

soxfan43
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
“Obviously, Chicago was a team that I did have an interest in playing for, and I respect [general manager] Jim Hendry and the organization,” he said. “I respect a lot of the players they have and feel like they have a good bunch, and obviously [it’s] a great city. [Those] were reasons I identified the Cubs as a team I wanted to be a part of if I had to move on from San Diego."

Peavy is full of it. He knows Chicago is a great city and he didn't need to ask Linebrink that.

I doubt his questions were about the city. more so on the team, org. coaches, ozzie, the cell, etc.

oeo

According to the report from last night, Peavy said he respected the Sox and their aggressiveness to acquire him, as well. :shrug:

Ask him the same question about the Sox, and I bet he gives you a similar answer to the one above. That doesn't mean he was going to accept. Again, being willing != to the decision.

DaveIsHere
What is he saying?

This trade would boost the Sox back into every kind of contention, and I mean every kind of contention. This kind of guy can probably straighten out pitchers like Floyd, and having a rotation of Peavy, Mark, and Danks as the first three would be amazing.

Nothing new, same crap spewing from his mouth

rocky biddle
Gammons- Coming to Chicago (either team) is a great opportunity, great city, etc. Said he felt deal was still 50/50 to go through.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Gammons- Coming to Chicago (either team) is a great opportunity, great city, etc. Said he felt deal was still 50/50 to go through.

Read: I have no clue.

rocky biddle
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hawk just said he and Stone don't think it's going to get done.

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
What is he saying?

Said he thought it was 50/50... But he did talk up Chicago quiet a bit. Said it was one of the greatest places to live and the Sox were a great organization to play for.

oeo
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Hawk just said he and Stone don't think it's going to get done.

Not that their opinion matters, but I missed it, any reason?

It's Time
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
According to the report from last night, Peavy said he respected the Sox and their aggressiveness to acquire him, as well. :shrug:

Ask him the same question about the Sox, and I bet he gives you a similar answer to the one above. That doesn't mean he was going to accept. Again, being willing != to the decision.

Point being that the cross country move has NOTHING to do with it. He'd be here if it were the North side team making the deal. There would be no "thinking about it" involved.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
The Cubs could benefit from getting Peavy only to trade another one of their starters to the AL for a much better hitter.

The Cubs could try to get A-Rod. It's not the first time they had a roids player on their team.

Sargeant79

His entire quote is straight from, "How to answer questions from the press regarding trade rumors you're involved in 101". Probably word for word. I wouldn't read anything into any statements from him until he either approves or declines the trade.

EndemicSox
This is going to get ugly...

rocky biddle
I missed it, any reason?

Still talking about it. Complaining about his full NTC.

oeo
Point being that the cross country move has NOTHING to do with it. He'd be here if it were the North side team making the deal. There would be no "thinking about it" involved.

No, there is not a guarantee of that.

soxlover
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't know if this has been asked, but has a deadline been set for an answer?

oeo
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't know if this has been asked, but has a deadline been set for an answer?

This morning they said, "the afternoon," but I don't know how true that is.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Who cares? He has every right to think that he'd be in a better situation with the Cubs.

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
From Heyman's Twitter:

if peavy wants big inducements to go to the #white sox, i dont think thats going to work. chicago likes his contract as is.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

It's Time
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
If Hawk doesn't think it's going to fly, then he's been on the phone with JR.

DSpivack
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

What gives you this assumption?

Rocky Soprano
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Who cares? He has every right to think that he'd be in a better situation with the Cubs.

He'd be crazy not to, with all those championships the Cubs win.

oeo
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM

Hawk was just blabbing about how he hates no trade clauses, and how they tie up the organization's hands.

kitekrazy
Who cares?. He has every right to think that he'd be in a better situation with the Cubs.

He definitely would as far as making it to the WS, but if he has any ego, he would have to get use to not being the top dog on the team.

It's Time
What gives you this assumption?

Are you serious? That's his right hand man.

basilesox
05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/21/padres-peavy-deal-white-sox-not-imminent-9274/?padres

Flight #24

I don't believe it's about Chicago, he's had Chicago (NL) on his list. I don't believe it's about Ozzie, most players like playing for him (although he certainly has his doghouse) and Linebrink supposedly had good things to say. The team is struggling but only 5 out and the division isn't running away by any means.

I also personally don't think it's about AL so much. If he was dead set against AL, I have a hard time beleiving that the Pads would take it this far down the line and that Linebrink wouldn't know that and tell KW.

To me, it's probably posturing to get his option picked up and the NTC extended. Doesn't mean a deal will get done in the end though.

It's Time
Hawk was just blabbing about how he hates no trade clauses, and how they tie up the organization's hands.

Yup. Right from JR's mouth. :cool:

JB98
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM

The point is that family considerations and moving to Chicago are non-issues for Peavy.

For whatever reason, he's reluctant to come to the Sox.

Rocky Soprano
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/21/padres-peavy-deal-white-sox-not-imminent-9274/?padres

That was posted last year, start reading people!

peelwonder

How many times are people going to post this link?

OmarLittle
He'd be crazy not to, with all those championships the Cubs win.

Yeah because the team that the Cubs have now has everything to do with all those Cubs teams from years past right?

Law11
Ok been gone for the past 90 minutes. I'm taking no real good news yet.

CHISOXFAN13

If i see this again, I'm going to SCREAM.

goon
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
So, I've had a fever for the past 4 days and just slept in until 1 o'clock. I read the thread in WTS last night, can anyone summarize what the hell is going on?

oeo

That was posted like ten times, hours ago.

Rocky Soprano
Yeah because the team that the Cubs have now has everything to do with all those Cubs teams from years past right?

You think this Cubs team is the best in the NL?

Sockinchisox
De Luca just updated his twitter saying Peavy wants his 2013 option picked up.

kruzer31
05-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Ok this was first posted 7 years ago

gobears1987
When I looked at his contract, I figured that would be the deciding factor.

downstairs
So, I've had a fever for the past 4 days and just slept in until 1 o'clock. I read the thread in WTS last night, can anyone summarize what the hell is going on?

Really nothing new. The deal is done between the teams. Peavy's decision now. Nothing substantive has been said by anyone.

Basically Peavy is saying nothing and everyone else is saying "50/50" because they have no idea.

Law11
05-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Isnt that some crazy number like 20 mil?

Boondock Saint

I'm sure Peavy was thinking that they could be with him pitching for them...and that's what matters.

scarsofthumper
Ok this was first posted 7 years ago
So were posts saying they were already posted

DSpivack

$22 million.

gobears1987
Isnt that some crazy number like 20 mil?22 million

Sockinchisox

Ya, 22 million.

DirtySox

It also says that it is unlikely to happen.

http://twitter.com/ChrisDeLuca

OmarLittle
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Uh what? What does that have to with anything?

What I was criticizing was your logic that the lack of WS titles that the Cubs have won in anyway affects their future prospects at winning a championship.

JohnTucker0814

Sounds easy to me, pick up the option, buy a big insurance policy so if his arm falls off, you're not out 22M...

Get it done!

laxtonto

3 years/$52M (2010-12), plus 2013 club option

signed extension with San Diego 12/12/07
10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$17M, 13:$22M club option ($4M buyout)
full no-trade clause for 2010, may block trades to 14 clubs in 2011 and 8 clubs in 2012 (also earns 10-and-5 rights in 2012)
award bonuses: $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.1M each for MVP or Cy Young ($50,000 for 2nd, $25,000 for 3rd); $50,000 for All Star starter; $25,000 for All Star selection; $50,000 each for LCS MVP, Gold Glove

Rocky Soprano
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Uh what? What does that have to with anything?

What I was criticizing was your logic that the lack of WS titles that the Cubs have won in anyway affects their future prospects at winning a championship.

I'm not even going to get into this because I'm so sick of the Cubs being mentioned in this thread.

basilesox
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
haha..Jesus people lay off. I dont have an hour to check every page of this thread. I had not seen it in the ten pages i had read so i figured it was new. I think its safe to say that people on here are a little on edge right now

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Peavy sounds like a complete douche. All of this, and the coward will probably not even waive it.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Peavy sounds like a complete douche. All of this, and the coward will probably not even waive it.

Right? Peavy and his stupid earning the right to pick where he wants to play...

Take a pill.

seventyseven
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

full no-trade clause for 2010, may block trades to 14 clubs in 2011 and 8 clubs in 2012 (also earns 10-and-5 rights in 2012)
award bonuses: $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.1M each for MVP or Cy Young ($50,000 for 2nd, $25,000 for 3rd); $50,000 for All Star starter; $25,000 for All Star selection; $50,000 each for LCS MVP, Gold Glove

It shouldn't be a huge deal for the Sox to pick up the option. With the buyout, it's only an effective $18M.

Peavy will be 32 in 2013.

DeadMoney
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM

I wonder what 14 teams those are ... seems like his reluctance to move to the AL could be more truth than rumor...

voodoochile

22, but it's only a net gain of 18 since the Sox would have to pay a $4M buyout to void the option.

kittle42
With Hawk already spewing the "company line" on no-trade clauses, I wouldn't be surprised if today's broadcast is a 3-hour softening of the blow that this won't happen.

And no, before everyone starts asking "how do you know what the company line is? Did you talk to someone? Etc, etc." No, it's just my opinion.

It's also my opinion that Peavy doesn't really want to play for the White Sox, that Peavy doesn't really want to come to the AL, and that if this were the Cubs, the deal would have been done already based on all the offseason chatter. Oh, and that it's very possible SD knew he wouldn't accept this and now can use the deal to their advantage somehow.

PennStater98r
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
It may be a paradox, but I've always thought that people who call others complete douches are complete...

DaveIsHere
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate these rumors. He needs to say yes or no so we can all move on in our day.

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
It may be a paradox, but I've always thought that people who call others complete douches are complete...

No need to get smart. I am obviously just frustrated.

nasox
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
With Hawk already spewing the "company line" on no-trade clauses, I wouldn't be surprised if today's broadcast is a 3-hour softening of the blow that this won't happen.

And no, before everyone starts asking "how do you know what the company line is? Did you talk to someone? Etc, etc." No, it's just my opinion.

It's also my opinion that Peavy doesn't really want to play for the White Sox, that Peavy doesn't really want to come to the AL, and that if this were the Cubs, the deal would have been done already based on all the offseason chatter. Oh, and that it's very possible SD knew he wouldn't accept this and now can use the deal to their advantage somehow.

I'll give Peavy the benefit of the doubt and say that he is mulling over the decision and wants to talk with his family, etc. There are no mulligans when it comes to these decisions, so understandably, he'll need a little time.

Flight #24
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Sounds like there's room for a middle ground. Give him 14 instead of 8 teams in the out years of the NTC, double the buyout for the option year. But good news is that if he's making the option year demands, then he's either convinced the Sox would never accept or he's willing to come. And if he's willing to come, there's room for negotiation.

This sounds pretty much like every other trade of a star with an NTC - Deal is done. Player says "No thanks, not unless you pick up the option (or as the case may be depending ont he market & player, decline the team option)". Then it's all about the $$$$.

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3740822

Andy Masur, voice of the Padres talks about how he would be very surprised if Jake approved a deal to any AL team.

JB98
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM

I agree with your opinion. All of it.

Lillian
05-21-2009, 01:39 PM

If that no trade clause would transfer to the Sox in its entirety, it doesn't seem like that great of a deal for the Sox. Seeing how Peavy is equivocating over coming to a solid team, in a great city, raises a big "red flag". What happens if the Sox decide that keeping him and his huge contract doesn't fit into their future plans? They would be placed in the same position in which Padres management now finds itself, stuck with a guy that they have a hard time trading.

pythons007
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Well I really hope Peavy isn't watching this game to base his decision off of because good god. Why would a pitcher want to come to a team that has the 3rd worst defense in the AL?

Brian26
05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
If Harrelson, the ultimate company mouthpiece and carnival barker, is truly whining about it on tv right now, the deal is dead. Everyone might as well get back to work now.

jabrch
If that no trade clause would transfer to the Sox in its entirety, it doesn't seem like that great of a deal for the Sox. Seeing how Peavy is equivocating over coming to a solid team, in a great city, raises a big "red flag". What happens if the Sox decide that keeping him and his huge contract doesn't fit into their future plans? They would be placed in the same position in which Padres management now finds itself, stuck with a guy that they have a hard time trading.

The good thing is that it is no longer a full NTC after 2010. So it gives us SOME flexibility. And he won't get 10/5 during this contract, so we don't have to worry about that either.

If we can get him without giving up Beckham or any vets, I don't see why we wouldn't.

It's not a lock. He hasn't been great this year, and he'd be moving to a much harder league/park. But this move would be a great one for KW/JR if they want a big upside, big splash.

Boondock Saint
A lot of the posts in these Peavy threads remind me of Louis CK's bit about how quickly people get upset about not having something that they didn't even know was available previously.

jdm2662
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM
If Harrelson, the ultimate company mouthpiece and carnival barker, is truly whining about it on tv right now, the deal is dead. Everyone might as well get back to work now.

Pretty much my opinion. Moving on. I don't get excited over trades/signings anyway. I won't be happy about the Sox until they actually get over .500...

UofCSoxFan
05-21-2009, 01:45 PM

They can be frustrating but honestly they are part of the value of the contract the player signs. Peevy likely would have wanted more money from the Pads absent the NTC. This is why I don't automatcially pan a player for not wanted to uproot his family, or go to a less than ideal situation for him.

I mean there really are few jobs in the world where you are privledged to have a say in what city you work. For most it's a given (and yes I know they are paid a lot to make up for this).

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Gammons on Tirico Show right now says the hold is up all money. He said he got a text right before Tirico called him that the snag is the length in contract, but was not sure if it was an option year plus more or just the option. He also said that it was 4 pitchers for Peavy.

rdwj
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
We don't need Peavy anyway - we have Colon! He looks fabulous today!!

Flight #24
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Aaaaaand after a brief interlude to watch the "game", that's pretty much done so let's start clamoring for the Sox to pick up the option and schedule a steel cage match between Colon & Contreras for the #5 slot!

(yes, I say that knowing that they should have been out of the inning but for the error.)

DaveFeelsRight
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
We don't need Peavy anyway - we have Colon! He looks fabulous today!!Yeah man! haha

tmill20
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
shouldnt that be in teal?

Gavin
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Don't worry guys, those runs aren't earned.

BadBobbyJenks

No it should not be. Something dripping with sarcasm doesn't need to be in teal.

DirtySox
Colon is heavily in favor of the Sox picking up Peavy's option.

aryzner
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Don't need teal for the obvious ones, come on.

WhiteSox5187
As pissed as we are, Towers must be pretty pissed too. I really don't think that they will get anywhere near what we are offering them.

The Sox game is only adding to my frustration.

pythons007

Hey give Colon some credit, only 2 are earned!:rolleyes:

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey give Colon some credit, only 2 are earned!:rolleyes:

5 I believe.

kittle42
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Gammons on Tirico Show right now says the hold is up all money. He said he got a text right before Tirico called him that the snag is the length in contract, but was not sure if it was an option year plus more or just the option. He also said that it was 4 pitchers for Peavy.

Hey, hey - does this mean that Reinsdorf actually bought that newspaper I mentioned earlier? Damn - back to 50 cents.

PaleHoser
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
If the deal is being held up because of the option year, who could blame him for trying to get it guaranteed? I don't like it, but it's part of negotiation.

The only way I consider guaranteeing option year is if San Diego throws in some cash for his option year. I don't want to see the Sox with $22M tied up with one player, particularly a starting pitcher. No one is worth $650K a start - $6,500 per thrown pitch. I don't care how good they are.

GregO23
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Peavy will never accept the clause with the way we look today!!

stacksedwards
At least these trade rumors arent affecting the teams' play today.

hi im skot
At least these trade rumors arent affecting the teams' play today.

Pretty sad if that's their excuse today...

BadBobbyJenks
If the deal is being held up because of the option year, who could blame him for trying to get it guaranteed? I don't like it, but it's part of negotiation.

The only way I consider guaranteeing option year is if San Diego throws in some cash for his option year. I don't want to see the Sox with $22M tied up with one player, particularly a starting pitcher. No one is worth $650K a start - $6,500 per thrown pitch. I don't care how good they are.

If that is what keeps this deal from going through, I am going to die a little inside.

PennStater98r
05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
No need to get smart. I am obviously just frustrated.

;) I was just trying to say - "You complete me!"

LITTLE NELL
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
If Peavy is watching todays game he's probably asking why would I want join that train wreck.

kittle42

Bah. If Peavy pitches like he can, that $22 mil 4 years from now will probably sound just about right the way salaries escalate.

kittle42
If that is what keeps this deal from going through, I am going to die a little inside.

Just another thing for us to blame on JR and co.!

Konerko05
After I pretty much gave up on the Peavy trade, I had to watch Colon give up 8 runs by the 2nd inning.

This is like torture.

guillensdisciple
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM

This should NOT be what stops this deal. The White Sox are in dire need of a pitcher that would solidify this rotation because it is obvious that our 3-5 are dead in the water right now. If this deal gets done, we can hope for a resurgence of Floyd and a .500 performance by Colon. Then the White Sox are looking at a pretty sunny outlook in terms of playoff positioning as well as how they do in the playoffs.

This deal MUST be done.

oeo
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
If Peavy is watching todays game he's probably asking why would I want join that train wreck.

It's not as bad as the train wreck he's currently in. That organization is in bad shape.

SoxFan78
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I am sitting here in my all inclusive honeymoon vacation in Mexico tracking this site waiting to see if we got peavy.

Got to love the internet!

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 02:02 PM

I usually get a good chuckle out of the 50 cent lines, but if this trade falls apart, I am going to want to break things.

Rocky Soprano
I am sitting here in my all inclusive honeymoon vacation in Mexico tracking this site waiting to see if we got peavy.

This is what you are doing on your honeymoon?

:D:

It's Time
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hawk.jpg
"I just spoke to JR, I mean this is my own opinion. I just don't like the option of 22M and the NTC. That's a deal breaker for me. I have not talked to Jerry".

LITTLE NELL
It's not as bad as the train wreck he's currently in. That organization is in bad shape.
Yeah, but the weather is a lot nicer.

Boondock Saint

Vacation on the internet...sounds like time well spent.

edit: honeymoon vacation...your spouse has got to be loving it!

rdwj
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Go drink something with an umbrella in it and go sit by the pool with your new wife. That has to beat reading most of this nonsense :drunken:

DaveIsHere
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
This is what you are doing on your honeymoon?

:D:

Maybe it is break time......:o:

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I usually get a good chuckle out of the 50 cent lines, but if this trade falls apart, I am going to want to break things.

Well, I guess I'm going to be in the minority here in saying I think it's a smart move to not guarantee that money. That's a lot of money to be guaranteeing 4 years down the road. Who knows what happens between now and then? Pitchers are too fragile to make that sort of commitment, IMO.

I like the way the Sox operate. It's the reason we have a lot less Mike MacDougal type contracts than most larger market teams.

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM

If it's the money that holds this deal up, there is no one to blame but them.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
No it should not be. Something dripping with sarcasm doesn't need to be in teal.

Isn't it wonderful to have 2-3 frivolous posts about whether or not something should be in sarcasm?

Yeah, teal sucks.

kittle42
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
If it's the money that holds this deal up, there is no one to blame but them.

Well, at that point it just comes down to whether you believe it is a good business deal or not from the financial end. Open to debate, but you already know my thoughts.

getonbckthr
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Peavy has to realize his option are not very deep. Where can he go where the would be willing to pick up that 22 million? Apparently we are after that who? Mets? Dodgers? Angels? Thats really about it.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, I guess I'm going to be in the minority here in saying I think it's a smart move to not guarantee that money. That's a lot of money to be guaranteeing 4 years down the road. Who knows what happens between now and then? Pitchers are too fragile to make that sort of commitment, IMO.

I like the way the Sox operate. It's the reason we have a lot less Mike MacDougal type contracts than most larger market teams.

I agree. 22 mil is a lot of money to guarantee to a pitcher 4 years down the line.

BadBobbyJenks
teal sucks.

:tealpolice:

soxinem1
Yeah, but the weather is a lot nicer.

Maybe so, but it wasn't a factor when he thought CHC was going to make a trade for him.

It also wasn't a factor having a rangeless OF, weak defensive middle INF, and a bandbox to pitch in on the Northside.

If Peavy does not want to come here, **** him, and go after Dan Haren instead.

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 02:08 PM

I just dont think you can worry about 4 years down the road. It is a great trade and he is still movable with just one year left on the deal if it comes to that.

getonbckthr
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Kenny and Jerry know that Peavy wants the option picked up. Im willing to bet that Jerry told Kenny try to do the deal without it. If they dont buy then use the 22 million as a deal closer.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Teal is a part of WSI. You don't like it, fine, but its one of our institutions that's in place for year.

Flight #24
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Maybe so, but it wasn't a factor when he thought CHC was going to make a trade for him.

It also wasn't a factor having a rangeless OF, weak defensive middle INF, and a bandbox to pitch in on the Northside.

Its. All. About. The. Money.

The rest is just windowdressing so that he can try to minimize fans saying "greedy bastard".

The only remaining question is whether they can find a middle ground on the $$$ (and maybe the NTC). This smacks of the Buehrle/Dye renegotiations, hopefully they can find a similar middle ground (high buyout for the option year).

Domeshot17
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Is Haren available for this little of a package? or at all?

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
After what is happening here with Colon and Gavin, $22 million is a price I'd be willing to pay for that 4th year.

Gavin
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Thread needs more bickering about internet message board decorum.

Anyway, Sox are on base!

thedudeabides
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM

There are no indications that he is.

getonbckthr
I dont know if Haren is but Webb will be when healthy.

BadBobbyJenks
Teal is a part of WSI. You don't like it, fine, but its one of our institutions that's in place for year.

Bartolo Colon gave up 8 runs today, we dont need Peavy, he is fabulous today!

I pity anyone that needs teal to realize that was a joke.

Viva Medias B's
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Get it done. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish and let this extension kill the deal!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM

For some reason, when I read that, I channeled the Bud Light commercial where the guy gets thrown out of the fourth-story office window after suggesting they stop buying Bud Light for every budget meeting.

"IT was a JOKE!!!!!"

As far as Peavy goes, let's hope that Colon didn't just scare him off.

Konerko05
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Shouldn't that be in teal?

oeo
I just dont think you can worry about 4 years down the road. It is a great trade and he is still movable with just one year left on the deal if it comes to that.

We don't know if he'll be movable, though. That's the problem. Pitchers are far too fragile. Next year, he could have a serious injury problem, and then we've got one guy taking up a significant part of the payroll for a few years who won't even contribute.

Call me conservative, but I think a lot of you are just on the high of acquiring Peavy. Contreras is an example of what looked like a pretty good contract that quickly turned bad, and we've been stuck with his contract eating up payroll for the last few years. Then you have to have an offseason like this past one in order to get by. I don't like the situation we're in right now, and 2-3 years from now, there's a very good chance we could have a repeat of that with a monster deal on the books.

DirtySox
Heyman again:

Peavy agent axelrod just told me NL remains "strong preference.'' but he has nothing against #chisox, oz. no call yet tho

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

JB98
For some reason, when I read that, I channeled the Bud Light commercial where the guy gets thrown out of the fourth-story office window after suggesting they stop buying Bud Light for every budget meeting.

"IT was a JOKE!!!!!"

As far as Peavy goes, let's hope that Colon didn't just scare him off.

Folks, today's game is not going to be a sticking point in the deal. I promise.

Thome_Fan
05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Sigh...

doublem23
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM

I agree with you in this instance, but still... Teal rules. Anti-teal people suck.

PaleHoser
After what is happening here with Colon and Gavin, $22 million is a price I'd be willing to pay for that 4th year.

I disagree. There's no way you could pay him that kind of money and still pay arbitration-eligible/free agent dollars to retain the likes John Danks, Floyd, TCQ, TCM, etc.

Attendance is down in MLB this year. Free agent contracts in both dollars and duration were down this past off-season, if you don't factor in what the Yankees gave their big three acquisitions.

I think the salary structure of baseball will be significantly different in four years compared to what it is now. And I for one don't want to see the Sox guarantee 100% of that option, even if it means killing the deal.

BadBobbyJenks
We don't know if he'll be movable, though. That's the problem. Pitchers are far too fragile. Next year, he could have a serious injury problem, and then we've got one guy taking up a significant part of the payroll for a few years who won't even contribute.

Call me conservative, but I think a lot of you are just on the high of acquiring Peavy. Contreras is an example of what looked like a pretty good contract that quickly turned bad, and we've been stuck with his contract eating up payroll for the last few years. Then you have to have an offseason like this past one in order to get by. I don't like the situation we're in right now, and 2-3 years from now, there's a very good chance we could have a repeat of that with a monster deal on the books.

Jake Peavy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jose Contreras. You shoudlnt be trading for Peavy in the first place if you are worried about him declining that much in 2013.

Next year Thome + Conteras = Peavy.

LuzinskiRoofShot

Agreed. Having Colon is like having 2 Jake Peavy's plus 1/2 of a Ramirez.

Konerko05
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Sigh...

Double sigh for you.

BadBobbyJenks
I think the salary structure of baseball will be significantly different in four years compared to what it is now. And I for one don't want to see the Sox guarantee 100% of that option, even if it means killing the deal.

Right odds are the economic climate will be significantly better in 2013.

MtGrnwdSoxFan

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/dk.gif

Thome_Fan
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Double sigh for you.
:tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Sigh...

Double sigh for you.

Hahahaha I love this place so much.

Harry Chappas
Its. All. About. The. Money.

The rest is just windowdressing so that he can try to minimize fans saying "greedy bastard".

The only remaining question is whether they can find a middle ground on the $$$ (and maybe the NTC). This smacks of the Buehrle/Dye renegotiations, hopefully they can find a similar middle ground (high buyout for the option year).

So instead of calling him a "greedy bastard" they can call him a "*&^%" for not wanting to pitch in the big, bad, AL.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Jim Shorts
A MLB leading seventh shutout is not going to convince any pitcher to even share a cup of coffee at the Cell.

peelwonder
[QUOTE=LuzinskiRoofShot;2235925]Agreed. Having Colon is like having 2 Jake Peavy's plus 1/2 of a Ramirez.[/QUOTE

Konerko05
Peavy's agent just said he wants a "No Betemit at 3B in Peavy starts" clause included in his contract before he even considers the deal.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Jake Peavy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jose Contreras. You shoudlnt be trading for Peavy in the first place if you are worried about him declining that much in 2013.

I'm not comparing Peavy and Contreras. If you want to do that, Peavy will be making a lot more than Contreras did, anyway. I'm making a point, that while things look good now, a year from now they may not look so hot. When Contreras signed that deal, he was the best pitcher in the game (at the time). It looked like a great deal, but then he started to have health issues and it all went downhill from there.

Banking on Peavy still being movable in a couple of years is quite risky. Instead we might have Peavy, Quentin, and Danks (maybe even Beckham by that time) eating up a good portion of our payroll. That's our problem right now. We have too much money wrapped up in only a small percentage of the team.

WhiteSox5187
Is there any word on when he will make his decision or if Jerry or Kenny want to actually spend their fifty cents?

soxlover
Maybe the Twins will score in every inning today!! Please come Peavy!!

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
:tealtutor:

voodoochile
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
I disagree. There's no way you could pay him that kind of money and still pay arbitration-eligible/free agent dollars to retain the likes John Danks, Floyd, TCQ, TCM, etc.

Attendance is down in MLB this year. Free agent contracts in both dollars and duration were down this past off-season, if you don't factor in what the Yankees gave their big three acquisitions.

Think about it this way...

If they make the trade without guaranteeing the final year, they are still on the hook for $4M that year for the buyout. Nothing can be done about that. It's part of the guaranteed money - sunk cost as it were. So, the net cost for that option year is $18M. Now odds are if he's worth $17M net the year before he'll be worth $18M net that year.

Add in the way the market is going and even the Sox will have to be at $18M/year minimum for a top of the rotation SP in 5 years.

Edit: And how much is it worth to Sox fans to have Buehrle, Danks, Floyd and Peavy under contract for the next 3 years? That's a heck of a top 4 possibly best in the Majors. If it sucks up some free money the final two years of the contract, it might still be worth it to take a few cracks at more pennants...

pythons007
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Peavy's agent just said he wants a "No Betemit at 3B in Peavy starts" clause included in his contract before he even considers the deal.

Maybe we could trade Wilson Betemit to a minor league team for eye black and a rosen bag.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe the Twins will score in every inning today!! Please come Peavy!!

:tealtutor:

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not comparing Peavy and Contreras. If you want to do that, Peavy will be making a lot more than Contreras did, anyway. I'm making a point, that while things look good now, a year from now they may not look so hot. When Contreras signed that deal, he was the best pitcher in the game (at the time). It looked like a great deal, but then he started to have health issues and it all went downhill from there.

Banking on Peavy still being movable in a couple of years is quite risky.

I am banking on Peavy still being our best pitcher in 2013, you are worried about him not being worth that contract. I say worst case scenario we can move Peavy and eat some of the contract if we had too in the last year.

The Sox have a chance to add one of the best right handed pitcher in baseball and to worry about 2013 is a huge mistake to me.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe we could trade Wilson Betemit to a minor league team for eye black and a rosen bag.

No way...no minor league team would be that stupid to give up that much for him.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I am banking on Peavy still being our best pitcher in 2013, you are worried about him not being worth that contract. I say worst case scenario we can move Peavy and eat some of the contract if we had too in the last year.

The Sox have a chance to add one of the best right handed pitcher in baseball and to worry about 2013 is a huge mistake to me.

If Peavy was going to put us over the top, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, that's not the case. We do need to worry about the future payroll when we currently have so many question marks on the roster.

Domeshot17
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
We have a chance to add the best starting pitcher to our rotation in a long time (maybe since Blackjack). If he turns it down, Like I said, I won't be upset with Peavy, and I won't be upset with the Sox. That said, if they lose him because they wouldn't kick in the option year, I'm gonna be livid