PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED by Sox Site: Sox, Padres agree to deal involving Jake Peavy

Pages : [1] 2

ChicagoG19
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-whitesox&tid=99890

This guy apparently broke the garland/cabrera trade a few hours before it was announced, so he does have some credibility.

I find this hard to believe since Peavy has a no-trade clause, but one can always hope.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I see no reason for it. And I see no way KW pays Towers' price.

october23sp
05-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm no MOD, but I believe this belongs in What's The Score?.

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey dude what's the score?

ChicagoG19
05-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm no MOD, but I believe this belongs in What's The Score?. You are right. Mods, can you please move this to the appropriate forum.

CashMan
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM

I am not saying Kenny is given up a lot, but what is Kenny's MO with prospects, hype them up.

Hartman
05-20-2009, 10:45 PM
What would the Sox do with Peavy?

mjmcend
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Centerfield?

doublem23
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Can he hit with RISP?

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Thank their lucky stars they have one of the best pitchers in baseball? :scratch:

I think this is nonsense though.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM

I guess it depends on who the PTBNL are, but Richard and Poreda are more or less garbage and slightly more promising garbage, but for Peavy, I'd pull their rickshaw from the Cell to Midway.

For a guy like Peavy, I'd assume on Beckham would be the only untouchable prospect in our system.

Konerko05
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Yeah, there's no way Peavy gets a spot in the rotation with Broadway waiting in the wings. He would probably be assigned to long relief.

CashMan
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I guess it depends on who the PTBNL are, but Richard and Poreda are more or less garbage and slightly more promising garbage, but for Peavy, I'd pull their rickshaw from the Cell to Midway.

For a guy like Peavy, I'd assume on Beckham would be the only untouchable prospect in our system.

I thought I read, one of the Sox higher ups, said they have been receiving calls about Beckham and Poreda. I would assume, Flowers and Beckham are untouchable?!? IF Peavy is indeed scratched from his start against the Cubs, I would take this more serious.

Konerko05
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Poreda is not garbage.

rdivaldi
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
but Richard and Poreda are more or less garbage and slightly more promising garbage.

Ridiculous....

doublem23
05-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought I read, one of the Sox higher ups, said they have been receiving calls about Beckham and Poreda. I would assume, Flowers and Beckham are untouchable?!? IF Peavy is indeed scratched from his start against the Cubs, I would take this more serious.

I'm certain Beckham won't be going anywhere unless the Yankees offer us A-Rod and are willing to pick up his entire contract, or some other unimaginably ridiculous offer like that.

As for Poreda, I admit, I'm still giddy at the thought of a lefty who can touch the high 90s with his fastball, but the guy still apparently has nothing in his arsenal that is consistently MLB-quality. I still think he projects to be a good relief pitcher, and while that's nothing to sneer at, if you can flip him for a front-line starter, you'd be crazy not to, right?

october23sp
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Hm. What if this were true?

CashMan
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
As for Poreda, I admit, I'm still giddy at the thought of a lefty who can touch the high 90s with his fastball, but the guy still apparently has nothing in his arsenal that is consistently MLB-quality. I still think he projects to be a good relief pitcher, and while that's nothing to sneer at, if you can flip him for a front-line starter, you'd be crazy not to, right?

I would say you are right, but IDK about NL pitchers switching to the AL, and pitching at Comiskey on top of that.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Poreda is not garbage.

Ridiculous....

You can throw your fastball as hard as you damn well want, if you don't have a 2nd pitch, your career in the Majors probably won't last very long.

Regardless, I'm more than willing to dump Poreda and all the uncertainty that comes with prospect pitchers who have never seen an MLB game for a front-line starter who is under contract until 2013.

kittle42
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
You can throw your fastball as hard as you damn well want, if you don't have a 2nd pitch, your career in the Majors probably won't last very long.

But Matt Anderson threw 102 MPH!

CashMan
Regardless, I'm more than willing to dump Poreda and all the uncertainty that comes with prospect pitchers who have never seen an MLB game for a front-line starter who is under contract until 2013.

I am liking dumping a prospect with 1 pitch for a front line starter. Isn't Peavy a power pitcher also?

doublem23
I would say you are right, but IDK about NL pitchers switching to the AL, and pitching at Comiskey on top of that.

Yeah, I've been a proponent of that theory but I think it affects middle of the road guys more than it does guys who are staff aces. And, even so, Peavy isn't a fly-ball pitcher, his career GB/FB ratio over his career is .74 which is basically the league average, plus he still strikes out a lot of hitters. In his career, he's struck out just about 1 of every 4 batters he's faced and this year he is punching out 10.1 batters every 9 innings, the best mark of his career.

Really, if all it takes to get a guy like Jake Peavy is Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, and pair of PTBNL, Kenny Williams should be arrested by the Chicago Police Department for grand theft.

CashMan
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I've been a proponent of that theory but I think it affects middle of the road guys more than it does guys who are staff aces. And, even so, Peavy isn't a fly-ball pitcher, his career GB/FB ratio over his career is .74 which is basically the league average, plus he still strikes out a lot of hitters. In his career, he's struck out just about 1 of every 4 batters he's faced.

Seems odd to me that Kenny is adding payroll and making a trade this early. Then again, this is just a rumor.

areilly
05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I thought I read, one of the Sox higher ups, said they have been receiving calls about Beckham and Poreda. I would assume, Flowers and Beckham are untouchable?!?

Long story short, I was in a position to ask Rick Hahn himself this very question Tuesday night and he answered in two parts.
1) No one is truly untouchable; for the right price, any Sox prospect or player can be had. The only difference is how insane the Sox will be in their demands.
2) Beckham and Poreda are the guys they get the most calls about.

Hahn also mentioned that Flowers, develop as he might, is still stuck behind A.J. unless either of them leaves the organization, either by early trade or the end of A.J.'s contract. He also hinted that Flowers' defense still needs work, but indicated it is progressing nicely all the same.

(George, if you're reading this: you missed a good one.)

Zisk77
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
But Matt Anderson threw 102 MPH!

Yes but the walkoff grand slam left Paulies' bat at 115 mph :D:

CashMan
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Really, if all it takes to get a guy like Jake Peavy is Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, and pair of PTBNL, Kenny Williams should be arrested by the Chicago Police Department for grand theft.

What were the Cubs offering?

voodoochile
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
I agree if that's all it takes, get it done...

Konerko05
05-20-2009, 11:25 PM
If by some miracle this rumor was true, do you guys think Peavy would wave his no trade clause to come here? I was under the impression he wanted to stay in the NL. The White Sox aren't a very good team right now. He would be moving from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
What were the Cubs offering?

Vitters +3

Vitters is the relative equivalent of Beckham.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Garbage? Isn't that a bit harsh Dubs?

doublem23
05-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Garbage? Isn't that a bit harsh Dubs?

Not really, I'd say 99% of all MiLB players are garbage.

I'm still very suspicious of any Sox prospect drafted in oh the last 20 years or so not named Gordon Beckham.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Vitters +3

Vitters is the relative equivalent of Beckham.

Maybe they were asking a higher ransom from the Cubs because they are an NL team?

I'd like to point here, that only about 1% of me actually believes this is true, especially given how little we'd apparently have to give up to get Jake. All of this is based on some rumor posted on another message board. I've run into plenty of otis and otis-wannabes in the last few years here and they're all the same, they get one right and suddenly their ego swells and they think we should charge people just to read their "deeply" insightful posts.

But... If this kid is right, wow I would be ecstatic.

soltrain21
05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
According to MLBtraderumors, today the Padres promoted their two top pitching prospects.

Soxfest
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I like it but I do not think it will happen and no one is talking about this but Sox fans off a website report!

palehozenychicty
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
If we could do that and Peavy waives his clause, I'd pick him up on my bicycle. Hell, if they want someone in the lineup, that's okay too.

jabrch
05-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Not really, I'd say 99% of all MiLB players are garbage.

We have very different definitions of garbage if you cover 99% of all MiLB guys in that list - that's cool.

I'm still very suspicious of any Sox prospect drafted in oh the last 20 years or so not named Gordon Beckham.

I'm suspicious of him too...but suspicious and "garbage" are two different things in my eyes.

Maybe they were asking a higher ransom from the Cubs because they are an NL team?

I don't see Towers giving him up cheap. He has no reason to do so. I'm sure Towers is going to hold this chip until he can get the best possible for it. If Beckham is untouchable, then I don't see any combination of prospects that gets us Peavy.

I'd like to point here, that only about 1% of me actually believes this is true, especially given how little we'd apparently have to give up to get Jake. All of this is based on some rumor posted on another message board. I've run into plenty of otis and otis-wannabes in the last few years here and they're all the same, they get one right and suddenly their ego swells and they think we should charge people just to read their "deeply" insightful posts.

I don't even believe it has a 1% chance. This just doesn't make sense to me.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 12:33 AM
We have very different definitions of garbage if you cover 99% of all MiLB guys in that list - that's cool.

Garbage as in, "will never be regular, positive contributors to the success of an MLB team."

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-21-2009, 01:14 AM
I'd love if this is true, but I can't see how it is. I don't see any trades for us until the deadline, and that's with us still in the race, or out of it.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Garbage as in, "will never be regular, positive contributors to the success of an MLB team."
That's a vague definition. If you want to make blanket statements about MiLB players and their relative value to organizations, you may need a new philosophy.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:08 AM

According to Rick Hahn, Poreda is liked by a lot of teams.

Still not believable, #44 is already taken.

EDIT: Although...apparently he met with Bud Black about tonight. He's scared of Ozzie, though.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/20/n70258234820-peavy-trade-chicago-white-sox-may-be-/?sports&zIndex=103019

psyclonis
05-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Props to Kenny...

Hope he wants to come here. :cool:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM
According to Rick Hahn, Poreda is liked by a lot of teams.

Still not believable, #44 is already taken.

EDIT: Although...apparently he met with Bud Black about tonight. He's scared of Ozzie, though.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/20/n70258234820-peavy-trade-chicago-white-sox-may-be-/?sports&zIndex=103019

...and Lou Piniella is any less volatile than Guillen? Funny how the manager's temper comes into play when the Sox are rumored to be in the hunt, but the Team That Shall Not Be Named would be the perfect place for him to play, despite the fact that Piniella is much more of a hothead on the field than Guillen.

As far as #44 goes, I'm pretty sure that Miller would not mind giving up his number for an extra stud pitcher that he can catch when he plays.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:26 AM
...and Lou Piniella is any less volatile than Guillen? Funny how the manager's temper comes into play when the Sox are rumored to be in the hunt, but the Team That Shall Not Be Named would be the perfect place for him to play, despite the fact that Piniella is much more of a hothead on the field than Guillen.

As far as #44 goes, I'm pretty sure that Miller would not mind giving up his number for an extra stud pitcher that he can catch when he plays.

I was joking. The way Corky is going, I don't think he'll be around all that much longer, anyway.

I can't sleep now.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:36 AM
I was joking. The way Corky is going, I don't think he'll be around all that much longer, anyway.

I can't sleep now.

Wasn't sure about that, lol.

Actually, Corky has been one of our better backup catchers in recent memory. Granted, we've had some real duds *coughWidgercough*, and maybe Corky looks like Yogi Berra in comparison, but he hasn't been too bad for a backup catcher. He has the same amount of CS's than AJ does, in about 20 less games. Sure, his average could use a little boost, but aside from Konerko and Dye, whose doesn't?

Me neither.

Ranger
05-21-2009, 02:44 AM

He's a backup catcher that is decent defensively with a good arm. He's not going anywhere.

central44
05-21-2009, 02:44 AM
This is a fantastic trade as long as Beckham isn't one of the two players to be named later. The only reason I say that is because I don't know how well Peavy would translate from the pitching park in San Diego to here, and it's hard not to suspect that San Diego might be selling high on a pitcher who's production has dropped off.

Poreda would be missed. But he hasn't proved a whole lot yet, and really, if the trade was Peavy for say, Poreda, Richard, Getz (expendable with Nix and Beckham and probably has decent value) and maybe a top prospect like Flowers (doubtful that KW would want to part with him though) the Sox would be pulling off an absolute heist.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:48 AM
He's a backup catcher that is decent defensively with a good arm. He's not going anywhere.

You can find that all over the place. He's been terrible at the plate, and that usually doesn't mean good things, backup catcher or not. Let's get back to the topic, though.

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Corky's exactly what you look for in a backup catcher. Very good defensively, calls a good game. Any offense from that position is a plus.

And he's rocking stirrups.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 02:53 AM
You can find that all over the place. He's been terrible at the plate, and that usually doesn't mean good things, backup catcher or not. Let's get back to the topic, though.

IF we re-signed him, it would be a heist. Otherwise, Flowers' bat is apparently ready, he just needs polish defensively.

Isn't Flowers' defense so bad behind the plate that there's concern that he'll end up a 1B/DH in the Majors?

If the Sox are really down on Flowers' defense, they might end up trading him since we got Viciedo and/or Allen as our future 1B/DH.

oeo
05-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Isn't Flowers' defense so bad behind the plate that there's concern that he'll end up a 1B/DH in the Majors?

If the Sox are really down on Flowers' defense, they might end up trading him since we got Viciedo and/or Allen as our future 1B/DH.

Flowers' bat is good enough to make him a first baseman or DH. Even if they were down on his defense, his bat is still very, very good.

Also, you could see Viciedo or Allen in the outfield.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Flowers' bat is good enough to make him a first baseman or DH. Even if they were down on his defense, his bat is still very, very good.

Also, you could see Viciedo or Allen in the outfield.

I'm not arguing that Flowers can't swing the stick, and I would love to see what the kid can do in the majors, but if his inclusion to the deal can help the Sox land a Cy Young-winning starting pitcher, I am willing to take my chances and trade him every time.

oeo
05-21-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm not arguing that Flowers can't swing the stick, and I would love to see what the kid can do in the majors, but if his inclusion to the deal can help the Sox land a Cy Young-winning starting pitcher, I am willing to take my chances and trade him every time.

Scratch all that anyway, I was under the impression that Peavy was going to be a free agent. He's already locked up, though.

Here's another link that mentions a possible deal, although the source was probably this thread: http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2024

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Scratch all that anyway, I was under the impression that Peavy was going to be a free agent. He's already locked up, though.

Here's another link that mentions a possible deal, although the source was probably this thread: http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2024

I wouldn't call trading Poreda, Richard and two PTBNL "gutting the system"...unless those PTBNL end up being Beckham and anyone else, which would be the only scenario where I would reject this trade.

He calls Peavy "solid". Um, he's won a Cy Young award, twice has led the NL in ERA in 2004 and 2007, has led the NL in K's in 2007, and has been selected to two All-Star teams in 2005 and 2007. I'd say that's a bit more than "solid".

BadBobbyJenks
05-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Let's just say the deal was Getz, Poreda, Richard and a player to be named, anyone not do that deal?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Let's just say the deal was Getz, Poreda, Richard and a player to be named, anyone not do that deal?

I would slap KW in the face if he does not pull the trigger on that deal. Put Nix at second, and groom Beckham for that position while Nix holds the fort down for a year or two.

EDIT: Or, if Fields doesn't pan out, just give Nix second and groom Beckham for third.

central44
05-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Or let Nix play third...he seems like the type of player who could make that transition relativley easily.

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Wow, this rumor is confirmed to be at least talked about. Buster Olney broke the news on Mike and Mike a few minutes ago. He said his gut feeling is that the trade gets done. Peavy would have to waive his no-trade obviously, and who knows if he will do that. Apparently he isn't a big fan of the A.L. God, I hope this gets done. I would go nuts.

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, it's Jake freaking Peavy. That's nothing to sneeze at. It would be nice just to have another guy you could have confidence in winning every five days, let alone someone that has done what he's done. On the other hand, his numbers as of late aren't as good as his Cy Young seasons, and he'd be moving from the most pitcher friendly park in the majors to the most hitter friendly park in the majors. I just can't get super excited about the idea.

Heffalump
05-21-2009, 06:54 AM
DO IT KW!

That may be the jumpstart this team needs.

Although, I highly doubt that Peavy would OK the trade. At least it's nice to hear the KW isn't sitting on his hands.

Let's get that SWEEP today !!!

DrCrawdad
05-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Peavy to Chicago, the White Sox that is, a possibility according to the San Diego Union Tribune. Click the image below...

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/05/17/peavy_t350.jpg?1640fae913a1dac1b26c7eb88806b9f9b03 41305 (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/20/n70258234820-peavy-trade-chicago-white-sox-may-be-/?sports&zIndex=)

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
I just doubt that he waives his no trade. I don't wanna get my hopes up. I really really want to be wrong though.

spawn
05-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Could you imagine how pissed Cubs fans would be if this deal gets done? I'll bet they'd turn it around and say he's garbage.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Adding Peavy turns the rotation from a question mark to a major strength:

Buehrle
Peavey
Danks
Colon (has been solid this year)
Floyd/Contreras (one starts, one takes Richard's place in the pen)

Also, acquiring Peavy has the added benefit of driving an emotional stake into the hearts of the Cubs faithful and the fawning lemming media. I wonder how long it would take certain media blowhards, who previously had written only wonderful things about Peavy, to all of a sudden "expose his flaws" if he joins the White Sox.

SoxGirl4Life
05-21-2009, 07:02 AM
I can see 500 posts in this thread before I get to work this morning.

Anyone worried about Peavy possibly pitching at the Cell? Petco is pretty much a pitcher's park and combine that with the normal NL-to-AL adjustment--could be a problem.

Bucky F. Dent
05-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Poreda and Richard are not garbage, and I will miss them when they are gone, but for Jake Peavy, I will drive them to the airport.

Bucky F. Dent
05-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Could you imagine how pissed Cubs fans would be if this deal gets done? I'll bet they'd turn it around and say he's garbage.

:):):):):)

DrCrawdad
05-21-2009, 07:11 AM

There is absolutely no doubt about that happening.

WhiteSox1989
05-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Interesting. My only concern would be something others have brought up-switching from the NL to AL, and going from a pitcher's ballpark to a hitter's ballpark.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Anyone worried about Peavy possibly pitching at the Cell? Petco is pretty much a pitcher's park and combine that with the normal NL-to-AL adjustment--could be a problem.

When it's 90 degrees and the wind blowing out it could be a shock to his system.

decolores9628
05-21-2009, 07:17 AM
He obviously won't have the same numbers he had in SD, but if he comes here, he is a definiite upgrade over everyone in the rotation except maybe Buehrle.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Poreda and Richard are not garbage, and I will miss them when they are gone, but for Jake Peavy, I will drive them to the airport.

Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo weren't either, right?

:rolleyes:

I know we love our prospects guys, but come on, our prospects have sucked for 20 years.

ms620
05-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Peavy is a strikeout pitcher. That lessens the affect that a ballpark change will have. Not saying there will be no effect at all, but he misses bats so I think he would be alright.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Dude strikes out 1 of every 4 batters he's faced over his career. Perhaps he wouldn't be the most ridiculously dominant force he is at PETCO, but he'd find ways to survive. :cool:

hawkjt
05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Mully and Hanley keep talking about JD being in the deal. Anyone hear that? If JD is in the deal, I have to give pause, with him being one of the few run producers on the this team right now. Granted, I might be willing to part with JD in July if the Sox are still scuffling, but if he is given up now, it seems almost like a concession on this season. I heard it was some middle infielders. If it is Richard and Poreda,along with Lillibridge and Getz/Fields/Nix....I could live with it.
Peavey- going NL to AL is a concern.
His contract is 11 million/2009,15 million/2010,16 million/2011,17 million/2012, with 22 million club option with 4 million buyout in 2013.
If the sox have to guarantee the 22 million, that is one expensive deal. But that should mean the Sox do not have to overpay on players.
It is interesting but Sox still need offense. Hopefully, bats are waking up and Carlos will be back to save the day soon. Sweep today,and hammer the Bucs this weekend, and acquire Peavey and a week could make a big diff in Sox fans psyche.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 07:27 AM
If this happens these servers are going to blow....

Lillian
05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
If this deal gets done, and assuming only prospects are involved, the Sox become the instant favorites not only in their division, but maybe in the A.L.
1) The starting rotation becomes a major strength.
2) They have perhaps the best, and deepest bullpen in the league.
3) Although the offense has struggled, it will probably still be one of the most productive in baseball. Once Quentin gets back on track, the middle of this order is as potent as any team's.
4) Peavy is a ground ball pitcher, and if we were to replace Fields with Nix at third, the infield of the Sox would be very good defensively. Good range, good hands and good arms, from third to first.

What's not to like?

Sockinchisox
05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope to God this is true, come on Jake! Please consent!

spawn
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
If this deal gets done, the Sox become the instant favorites not only in their division, but maybe in the A.L.

Le's not get carried away now.

WhiteSox1989
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
If this deal gets done, the Sox become the instant favorites not only in their division, but maybe in the A.L.
1) The starting rotation becomes a major strength.
2) They have perhaps the best, and deepest bullpen in the league.
3) Although the offense has struggled, it will probably still be one of the most productive in baseball. Once Quentin gets back on track, the middle of this order is as potent as any team's.
4) Peavy is a ground ball pitcher, and if we were to replace Fields with Nix at third, the infield of the Sox would be very good defensively. Good range, good hands and good arms, from third to first.

What's not to like?

It depends who the trade for him. Really. I wouldn't want to see Getz go.

Lillian
05-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Well, ok, at least favorites in the weak A.L. Central, right?

CashMan
05-21-2009, 07:36 AM

When I read PTBNL, I think of lower end prospects.

Oblong
05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
When I read PTBNL, I think of lower end prospects.

PTBNL could also be a guy taken in the 2008 draft. They are ineligible to be traded for 1 year after signing. When the Tigers traded Weaver in a 3 way, they received Carlos Pena, Franklyn German, and a PTBNL, who ended up being Jeremy Bonderman and the centerpiece of the deal. They just couldn't say so at the time even though he knew it.

WhiteSox1989
05-21-2009, 07:41 AM
It's going to be a long day..

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Seems odd to me that Kenny is adding payroll and making a trade this early. Then again, this is just a rumor.

That could be the reason he dumped payroll.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 07:51 AM

It could be the Cubs have less to offer in youth. They are stuck with long term contracts. I'm sure they would like to dump Soriano and Lee.

CaptUSN
05-21-2009, 07:53 AM
ESPN is reporting this deal ma go down...

twentywontowin
05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
We landed on the moon!!!

skobabe8
05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Wts?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Already a thread in WTS from last night. Olney "broke" it on M&M this morning but it was out there last night around 11PM.

Frater Perdurabo
PTBNL could also be a guy taken in the 2008 draft.

What would we think if the PTBNL is Beckham?

LoveYourSuit

Division yes, but AL?

Toronto is a pretty damn good club to go along with the Yankees.

Peavy helps the Sox win the division, that I agree on.

Wow! I can't believe we are talking about this.

I and others have been bitching about becoming relevant once again and how we dropped the ball post 2006. You make this move? Talk about becoming relevant once again.

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Out of all our young players, that's the best you can come up with?

:rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Division yes, but AL?

Toronto is a pretty damn good club to go along with the Yankees.

Buehrle, Peavy, Danks is a formidable playoff 1-3. Then you can have Colon, Contreras and Floyd all pitch three innings each to finish the sweep in Game 4. :tongue:

JohnTucker0814
05-21-2009, 08:01 AM
This is a guy that no question starts Game 1 of any playoff series... we haven't had that in a long long time! We got real lucky in '05 because Jose was lights out for the 2nd half of the year... Imagine what last year could have looked like if Peavy was pitching Game 1 vs. TB?

No question you take a serious run at this, but Beckham, Flowers and Allen have to be untouchable at this point...

I'd assume a package is centered around Poreda...

Sockinchisox
05-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Sources of the White Sox tell the Score that it's a done deal and they're waiting on Peavy.

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
This is a guy that no question starts Game 1 of any playoff series... we haven't had that in a long long time! We got real lucky in '05 because Jose was lights out for the 2nd half of the year... Imagine what last year could have looked like if Peavy was pitching Game 1 vs. TB?

No question you take a serious run at this, but Beckham, Flowers and Allen have to be untouchable at this point...

I'd assume a package is centered around Poreda...

You think the Padres just wan't to give Peavy away?

I think any trade for Peavy will involve Poreda and one of those two guys you mentioned. I rather it be Flowers or Allen over Beckham.

You have to give something of quality to get back a CY Young award winner.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:06 AM
What would we think if the PTBNL is Beckham?

:angry:

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm excited, but hesitant at the same time. I really don't want the farm system gutted again. I will sit on my hands until more specifics are known.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't think anyone is untouchable besides Beckham.

Frater Perdurabo

I agree that all three prospects look like they could be excellent players, especially Beckham.

But you wouldn't trade Beckham to acquire a Cy Young winner?

What the Sox have going for them is that they could shed $40 million in payroll this offseason, and Konerko's deal after 2010. Therefore, they can afford Peavy's contract.

Assuming that part of San Diego's motivation is salary relief, they may be willing to take "lesser" prospects in exchange for not having to send any cash to the Sox.

doublem23
You think the Padres just wan't to give Peavy away?

I think any trade for Peavy will involve Poreda and one of those two guys you mentioned. I rather it be Flowers or Allen over Beckham.

You have to give something of quality to get back a CY Young award winner.

That depends a lot on how much of Jake Peavy's salary will be coming to Chicago with him, I'd suspect.

esbrechtel
I agree that all three prospects look like they could be excellent players, especially Beckham.

But you wouldn't trade Beckham to acquire a Cy Young winner?

What the Sox have going for them is that they could shed $40 million in payroll this offseason, and Konerko's deal after 2010. Therefore, they can afford Peavy's contract.

Assuming that part of San Diego's motivation is salary relief, they may be willing to take "lesser" prospects in exchange for not having to send any cash to the Sox.

Great point

hawkjt
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Sounds like it could be just Peavey having to agree to make this happen. But listening to a San Diego sportswriter on the Score, he is saying that Peavey loves living in San Diego(duh) and knows that playing in SD is a magic carpet ride with a media scared of the players and the fans just happy to have a team to follow,as bad as they are.

So, no pressure SD or high pressure Chicago for Jake? Should know by the end of the day,it sounds like. If Peavey is not willing to take on the challenge...he has no stones and we do not want him anyway...not at 80 million anyway.

Average Homeboy
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
This would be a great addition to the rotation, but it's only going to sting a little more when the offense still can't put runs on the board, especially for him...

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds like it could be just Peavey having to agree to make this happen. But listening to a San Diego sportswriter on the Score, he is saying that Peavey loves living in San Diego(duh) and knows that playing in SD is a magic carpet ride with a media scared of the players and the fans just happy to have a team to follow,as bad as they are.

So, no pressure SD or high pressure Chicago for Jake? Should know by the end of the day,it sounds like. If Peavey is not willing to take on the challenge...he has no stones and we do not want him anyway...not at 80 million anyway.

Ha, and he said not too long ago that he wanted to play for the cubs...the sox have a lot of pressure from the Media...but the Cubs thats way worse...

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
This would be a great addition to the rotation, but it's only going to sting a little more when the offense still can't put runs on the board, especially for him...

The offense will be fine as long as it doesn't return to 40-degree weather.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
:angry:

I am as excited about Beckham as everyone else, but let's think about this. Peavy is a Cy Young winner and perennial All-Star strikeout pitcher. Beckham has not yet played a single game in the MLB.

That being said, if the Padres get Beckham as part of the package, I hope/expect them to send cash and/or take on a big Sox contract (Contreras, Konerko or Dye).

Marqhead
05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
This certainly makes my day more interesting.

Seems like the ball is in Peavy's court right now.

kevingrt
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
This certainly makes my day more interesting.

Seems like the ball is in Peavy's court right now.

Just being reported on Mike & Mike. Who are we rumored in giving away?

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:15 AM

It sounds like it is centered on Poreda...and that is the only name anyone has mentioned/seen

hawkjt
05-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Richard,Poreda,and a couple middle infielders to be named...that is the rumor.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 08:16 AM

The OP posted a link to another message board where someone claims to have insider info that it's Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, and 2 PTBNL.

DeuceUnit
05-21-2009, 08:18 AM
If this goes through, I think you could say this defines "under the radar"!!!!!:bandance:

Cuck the Fubs
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Well...my productivity at work went right down the drain for the rest of the day :tongue:

Jake, waive your no trade and get on over here! :D:

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I am not averse to this trade if Poreda is the centerpiece. The PTBNL are what worry me considering Beckham can't be traded until a year after signing.

JohnTucker0814
05-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Well...my productivity at work went right down the drain for the rest of the day :tongue:

Jake, waive your no trade and get on over here! :D:

And start Friday night, since I'll be there... that is his day to start, so jump on a plane, get here tonight and give us a win vs. Pittsburgh tomorrow!

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Get him here in time for interleague!

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
What's this plan B I'm hearing about:

Brandon Webb?

doublem23
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Brandon Webb?

Source?

The only guy from Arizona I'd want is Haren (Webb has been having shoulder problems this year).

LoveYourSuit
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Source?

The only guy from Arizona I'd want is Haren.

The Score

Sockinchisox
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM

Brandon Webb?

I believe they were being sarcastic when they brought that up.

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM

A teammate also reportedly said he's not sure about playing for Ozzie. Is Peavy a wuss, or what? Just making excuses to not come here (he wants to stay in the NL)?

seventyseven
05-21-2009, 08:25 AM
A key to Peavy waiving his NTC is that Linebrink is here. They were best friends in SD, and Peavy was really upset when they traded him to the Brewers.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 08:25 AM
The Score

Oh. Call me when you find a random post on another message board. :tongue:

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
A key to Peavy waiving his NTC is that Linebrink is here. They were best friends in SD, and Peavy was really upset when they traded him to the Brewers.

I forgot about Linebrink. Hopefully Peavy is receiving a call this morning from #71. :cool:

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:31 AM
ESPN just alluded to an update coming after a commercial. I have a feeling it's about his not wanting to play for Ozzie.

Craig Grebeck
I'm all for this. I'd imagine the PTBNL has to include Beckham, but I still think I may do it. I'd trade Alexei instead of Beckham, but I doubt SD wants him.

Dibbs
It seems every time a thread like this heats up with speculation, nothing happens. Hopefully it is a different story this time. Peavy would be a huge lift, and give the Sox a chance at competing this year.

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
It seems every time a thread like this heats up with speculation, nothing happens. Hopefully it is a different story this time. Peavy would be a huge lift, and give the Sox a chance at competing this year.

Keep in mind that it's still really early in San Diego. I wouldn't expect anything for at least a couple more hours.

Domeshot17
1/2 Joking 1/2 Serious question lol, If OZzie is the hold up would you can Ozzie to get Peavy? Alot harder to get a number 1 SP then it is to get a just above average manager.

Juice16
Where is this not wanting to play for Ozzie coming from?

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Buster Olney has been reporting his reluctance to play for Ozzie.

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM

Apparently one of his teammates said he wasn't so sure about playing for the "volatile" Ozzie. Linebrink will put in a good word.

soxpride724
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Man, I'm not getting **** done at work today.:tongue:

stacksedwards
The Score.
This has to get done! What a shot in the arm. Could be the perfect storm to a 9 or 10 game winning streak to get us back in this thing.
IKWWT

Rocky Soprano
1/2 Joking 1/2 Serious question lol, If OZzie is the hold up would you can Ozzie to get Peavy? Alot harder to get a number 1 SP then it is to get a just above average manager.

I'd get rid of Ozzie. :D:

Juice16
05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
That's what I meant, why would he have any problem with Ozzie? It make no sense.

Jjav829
WHAT? :o:

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. My favorite player possibly coming to play for my favorite team? :o:

RedHeadPaleHoser
Buster Olney has been reporting his reluctance to play for Ozzie.

If this trade happens, this will be the bullet point- "Can a potential Cy Young winner play for the volatile Guillen?"

If this trade doesn't happen, this will be the bullet point - "Did the explosive Guillen cost the White Sox a chance at the AL Crown?"

seventyseven
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
That's what I meant, why would he have any problem with Ozzie? It make no sense.

If anything Ozzie allows his starters to work themselves out of jams early and takes them out late when they only have a chance to get a W.

oeo

I think if this is true, Peavy is really blowing everything out of proportion. It's not like Ozzie is a nutjob. Don't get on his bad side, but I find it really hard to believe Peavy ever would. Ozzie has a lot of respect for veteran players, especially those of Peavy's stature.

twsoxfan5

The difference here is that the deal is already in place and it is just pending Peavey's approval. This is not just a rumor it is an actual trade that is waiting on approval from a player. He may still decide he wants to stay in SD, but this is not just Rockabilly reporting on something he may have heard from a reliable source.

ShoelessJoeS
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Man, I'm not getting **** done at work today.:tongue:Tell me about it! :cool:

Domeshot17
Atleast we know Ozzie will probably catch wind of this and talk a ton of crap to the media about it, probably putting the eventual kabash to the whole thing

DirtySox
And ESPN again provides nothing of value.

decolores9628
05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
And ESPN again provides nothing of value.

Why do I keep turning to them?

Juice16
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
As people were mentioning before, imagine how cub fans will react if the Sox get Peavy........well imagine how they will act if they don't get him, and it is because he doesn't want to play for Ozzie.

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Weren't the Cubs supposedly very close to a deal for Peavy in which Vitters wasn't even involved? If so, that gives me hope that Beckham isn't part of the deal.

oeo
05-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Why do I keep turning to them?

They have a bad odor? :dunno:

Craig Grebeck
Ozzie and Herm are good for starting pitchers. Hopefully someone gets through to Peavy.

kittle42
Is someone at the SD and Chicago airports looking for suit-wearing baseball execs with cell phones?

Craig Grebeck
Weren't the Cubs supposedly very close to a deal for Peavy in which Vitters wasn't even involved? If so, that gives me hope that Beckham isn't part of the deal.
That deal didn't happen, probably because Vitters wasn't involved. Beckham would probably be in this deal, unless Towers is dumb enough to take Alexei.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Is someone at the SD and Chicago airports looking for suit-wearing baseball execs with cell phones?

On my way to O'Hare now. :D:

Marqhead

I knew this thread was lacking something...

ChiSox89
i hope they get this done. waking up to this made my day.

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Is anyone else thinking that he won't approve the trade? :(:

Sockinchisox
Buster weighs in on why this could get done.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4191578&name=olney_buster&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4191578%26name%3dolne y_buster

oeo
i hope they get this done. waking up to this made my day.

Try attempting to go to sleep after the news broke early this morning.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Atleast we know Ozzie will probably catch wind of this and talk a ton of crap to the media about it, probably putting the eventual kabash to the whole thing

Or this is Jake's way of saying that he's just rather play in front of 10,000 fans for the 4th place Padres.

How 'bout we wait and see what actually happens before you start grinding your axe again? :rolleyes:

soxpride724
05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Is anyone else thinking that he won't approve the trade? :(:

I am, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Lillian
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
What kind of input from Linebrink would Peavy likely receive regarding Ozzie? I don't remember there ever being any tension between Linebrink and Guillen. Am I forgetting something?

Barring some specific problem that Scott may have with Ozzie, I suspect that he would tell his good friend that Ozzie is a player's manager, and a good guy to play for.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
If Beckham is involved they better eat some of the Peavy money or I will be :angry:

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
That deal didn't happen, probably because Vitters wasn't involved. Beckham would probably be in this deal, unless Towers is dumb enough to take Alexei.

I know you are probably right, but I choose to stay in denial.

PicktoCLick72
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Anyway this deal gets done without giving up Beckham?

seventyseven
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Rumor now that Eckstein will also be part of the deal?

Craig Grebeck
Only if Flowers intrigues them, or they take another middle infielder in the organization.

esbrechtel
Rumor now that Eckstein will also be part of the deal?
:?: why?

seventyseven
:?: why?

Maybe because Getz or Alexei is going the other way?

esbrechtel
Maybe they want Alexei?

Boondock Saint
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He's really the one guy I don't want to see go right now.

oeo
What kind of input from Linebrink would Peavy likely receive regarding Ozzie? I don't remember there ever being any tension between Linebrink and Guillen. Am I forgetting something?

Barring some specific problem that Scott may have with Ozzie, I suspect that he would tell his good friend that Ozzie is a player's manager, and a good guy to play for.

I think Linebrink has been asked the, "What's it like playing for Ozzie?" question before, and he's only said good things.

JohnTucker0814
Here's my guess... Poreda, Richard, Getz, Kuhn...

Craig Grebeck
Eckstein would be a great reserve infielder. Obviously he can't play third base, but he's a solid guy to start once or twice a week.

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Maybe they want Alexei?
Only if Kevin Towers is a dolt.

cws05champ
Wasn't sure about that, lol.

Actually, Corky has been one of our better backup catchers in recent memory. Granted, we've had some real duds *coughWidgercough*, and maybe Corky looks like Yogi Berra in comparison, but he hasn't been too bad for a backup catcher. He has the same amount of CS's than AJ does, in about 20 less games. Sure, his average could use a little boost, but aside from Konerko and Dye, whose doesn't?

Me neither.
I heard on the Twins broadcast last night that when Corky is catching the Sox PS have a full run less in ERA than with AJ. Given that AJ catches Buehrle every time that's saying something.

As long as we don't give up Alexei or Beckham I'm OK with the deal...

esbrechtel

I like Getz but I could deal with this...

Domeshot17
05-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Or this is Jake's way of saying that he's just rather play in front of 10,000 fans for the 4th place Padres.

How 'bout we wait and see what actually happens before you start grinding your axe again? :rolleyes:

I thought that was so obviously sarcastic I didn't need to teal it, guess not.

kittle42
I looked at his home/road splits since 2006. Not that pretty (2007 was good).

Also, out of curiosity if this gets done, I'd be interested in looking back at when his going to the Cubs was highly discussed in the spring and see exactly how many people clamoring for this now were acting like Peavy was Javier Vazquez or worse then.

rwcescato

It was just reported on espn this morning. They did say 4 players and its up to Peavy to wave no trade clause.

ChiSox89
05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
i could see getz or fields being part of the deal. nix could fill in at second or third or beckham could come up and fill in at those positions.

twsoxfan5

No one hs mentioned Beckham being part of this deal. I would think if he was a part he would not be a PTBNL. I would think that the White Sox's top prospect, who almost made the team, would be mentioned as one of the big names in this trade for sure. Not saying Beckham wont be dealt, but I have not heard his name come up yet.

Edit: My mistake Olney did mention his name.

Law11
Well since I cant get any radio here at work you guys are my ears for the day on this. keep those of us in the dark ages updated.

Thanks

RedHeadPaleHoser
I think KW gets props again for being under the radar and trying to improve the team. No towel throwing in that man, I think...

rwcescato

Who is Kuhn. Are you talking about Rust Kuntz. LOL

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
One thing to remember: the Padres would have no interest whatsoever in Alexei Ramirez, given the presence of Paul DePodesta. He's an ardent stats guy, and Alexei, using every SABR defensive method, plays atrocious defense. Perhaps they'd move Alexei to CF, but I can't see them taking on a free swinger who looks lost at the plate and in the field (by their evaluation).

This has to include Beckham.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 08:57 AM
One thing to remember: the Padres would have no interest whatsoever in Alexei Ramirez, given the presence of Paul DePodesta. He's an ardent stats guy, and Alexei, using every SABR defensive method, plays atrocious defense. Perhaps they'd move Alexei to CF, but I can't see them taking on a free swinger who looks lost at the plate and in the field (by their evaluation).

I dont think that is necessarily true. I think they are looking to shed salary...if it included Beckham the Sox might want them to take some $ or a bad contract...

Craig Grebeck
05-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Who is Kuhn. Are you talking about Rust Kuntz. LOL
Tyler Kuhn

RealFan
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM

No way does it include Beckham. Kenny wouldn't do it and the Padres don't have that kind of leverage. This is a salary dump from their end to one of six or seven teams that can absorb it. And they're getting back a couple of decent young lefthanders and some scrubs to be named later.

Beckham can't be traded until August anyway.

The Immigrant
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
There's no ****ing way this involves Beckham. None. Not for that kind of a contract coming to the White Sox. This is a salary dump by the Padres.

ChiSox89
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
for a while i have been considering poreda as an untouchable, but when he is in a rumored deal for a 27 year old cy young pitcher, my thoughts change and would be willing to give him up. but not poreda and beckham in the same deal

oeo

No, it doesn't have to. Keep in mind the other offers the Padres have gotten: no one wants to take on the money. If the Sox are willing to do that, and they can with big contracts coming off this offseason, then they could get him for less in terms of talent.

If it includes Poreda and Beckham, I'm not so sure about it. The Padres better pick up some good amount of money if that's the case. The way Rick Hahn mentioned that Poreda is the most talked about player in the Sox system, I have a feeling he's going to be considered a big time prospect in the very near future.

Boondock Saint
I dont think that is necessarily true. I think they are looking to shed salary...if it included Beckham the Sox might want them to take some $ or a bad contract...

If Beckham is to be part of this deal, SD paying part of Peavy's salary would be of little consolation to me. He's just got the look of a "can't miss" guy.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I actually think this trade would open up a spot for Beckham....

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Not to the intelligent ones. The Cubs hitting is similar to the Sox. They need more bats.

cws05champ
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM

And I think Alexei may try to boat back into Cuba instead of going to the PAdres :smile:. I would be sick if we gave up Richard, Poreda AND Beckham.

If I remember correctly Flowers was part of the deal that had Peavy going to ATL earlier in the offseason. Would think he would be involoved, no?

decolores9628
No way does it include Beckham. Kenny wouldn't do it and the Padres don't have that kind of leverage. This is a salary dump from their end to one of six or seven teams that can absorb it. And they're getting back a couple of decent young lefthanders and some scrubs to be named later.

Well that is why he could be one of the PTBNL. I don't want it to happen, but again, I do. Peavy is a Cy Young award winner and Beckham hasn't played a game in the Majors yet. I would like to keep him though.

Craig Grebeck

Yes, but the reports have often included one or two PTNBL -- probably 2008 draftees. Unless they're content with some combo of Hudson, Morel, Carter, etc.

I'd be shocked. But, I very well could be wrong. I guess SD could be trying like hell to dump his salary.

Dice
According to the Score, the deal is in place and Williams is giving Peavy and his agent an afternoon deadline to decide if he wants to come here or not.

esbrechtel
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
According to the Score, the deal is in place and Williams is giving Peavy and his agent an afternoon deadline to decide if he wants to come here or not.

:mg:

SoxGirl4Life
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
The offense will be fine as long as it doesn't return to 40-degree weather.

He's a Royals fan. What do you expect?

doublem23
05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I thought that was so obviously sarcastic I didn't need to teal it, guess not.

It would be more obviously sarcastic if that dark cloud, woe is me routine wasn't your M.O.

decolores9628
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Has the MLB Network gone into anymore detail that what ESPN has? I don't get it at my apartment.

soxfan21
I really hope Peavy man's up and says yes to this, and hopefully it's not one of those deals that is too good to be true.

seventyseven

There is a positive correlation between how long it take Peavy to figure this out and my productivity at work today. Hurry up already!

doublem23

Thanks, otis.

DePodesta is a failed GM. I'm sure he's there so Towers can bounce ideas off him or in case Towers needs an extra cream in his coffee, but come on, he's not the one calling the shots.

RealFan
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes, but the reports have often included one or two PTNBL -- probably 2008 draftees. Unless they're content with some combo of Hudson, Morel, Carter, etc.

I'd be shocked. But, I very well could be wrong. I guess SD could be trying like hell to dump his salary.

I hear you and I think you've got to get your mind on the salary dump part of this trade. The Padres franchise is in disarray and they are at the bottom in attendance. This Peavy contract is an albatross for them and the Sox in giving up Poreda and Richards (who I like a LOT) are offering decent player compensation AND taking the financial burden from the Padres. This is an example of a big market team taking advantage of a small market team. If the economy was normal and things were fine, I'd think this deal would have to include Beckham to help enhance our offer as other teams would be in on the bidding.

Iguana775

wow.....gotta give KW props for trying to improve the team. should be interesting to see what's given if this trade goes through

Sockinchisox
Of course I need to have a class right now. The suspense is killing me.

kittle42
If one of his issues is not being able to bat anymore, tell him we'll let him DH, since our lineup can always use another black hole.

oeo
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Well that is why he could be one of the PTBNL. I don't want it to happen, but again, I do. Peavy is a Cy Young award winner and Beckham hasn't played a game in the Majors yet. I would like to keep him though.

It's the whole Beckham and Poreda thing that has me unsure. One or the other, but please not both.

Sockinchisox
Gonzales is also confirming the Sox are waiting on confirmation from Peavy.

SportsPg
Mully & Hanley on the Score just said their sources say the deal is Poreda, Richard and two PTBNL.

I have to believe that one of those two is Beckham. How can the Padres do this if the two PTBNL are mediocre minor leaguers?

I think we should do it even if it is Beckham. Peavy is a top 3-4 pitcher in the Major Leagues, you can't have enough top end pitching period. We can live with Ramirez & Getz with Peavy on board IMO

drewcifer
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I looked at his home/road splits since 2006. Not that pretty (2007 was good).

Not great.

Career Interleauge stats:

Year W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
2002 0 2 .000 5.00 2 2 0 0 0 0 9.0 10 5 5 1 5 0 7 1 0 41 1.667 7.0 1.40
2003 3 0 1.000 2.00 4 4 0 0 0 0 27.0 21 6 6 2 6 0 13 0 0 108 1.000 4.3 2.17
2004 1 0 1.000 1.69 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.1 3 1 1 1 1 0 6 0 0 21 0.750 10.1 6.00
2005 2 2 .500 4.70 4 4 0 0 0 0 23.0 19 15 12 5 7 1 29 0 0 97 1.130 11.3 4.14
2006 0 1 .000 2.86 3 3 0 1 0 0 22.0 17 7 7 2 4 0 24 1 0 86 0.955 9.8 6.00
2007 2 1 .667 3.00 3 3 0 0 0 0 18.0 17 6 6 0 6 0 18 2 0 78 1.278 9.0 3.00
2008 0 2 .000 3.94 3 3 0 0 0 0 16.0 21 8 7 2 4 0 16 1 0 72 1.563 9.0 4.00
Career Total 8 8 .500 3.29 20 20 0 1 0 0 120.1 108 48 44 13 33 1 113 5 0 503 1.172 8.5 3.42

oeo
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Mully & Hanley on the Score just said their sources say the deal is Poreda, Richard and two PTBNL.

I have to believe that one of those two is Beckham. How can the Padres do this if the two PTBNL are mediocre minor leaguers?

How do you know they would be mediocre? We have some good pitching prospects from last year's draft, too.

Domeshot17
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
It would be more obviously sarcastic if that dark cloud, woe is me routine wasn't your M.O.

Apologies, I will have blind faith in the Sox from now on. I will be a sheep.

Anyway, this isn't the place, lets just hope the Sox do a good sell job to Peavy

stacksedwards
Reports Peavy rejected deal. John Heyman (sp) is reporting that. He wants to stay in NL

decolores9628
Not great.

Career Interleauge stats:

Year W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
2002 0 2 .000 5.00 2 2 0 0 0 0 9.0 10 5 5 1 5 0 7 1 0 41 1.667 7.0 1.40
2003 3 0 1.000 2.00 4 4 0 0 0 0 27.0 21 6 6 2 6 0 13 0 0 108 1.000 4.3 2.17
2004 1 0 1.000 1.69 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.1 3 1 1 1 1 0 6 0 0 21 0.750 10.1 6.00
2005 2 2 .500 4.70 4 4 0 0 0 0 23.0 19 15 12 5 7 1 29 0 0 97 1.130 11.3 4.14
2006 0 1 .000 2.86 3 3 0 1 0 0 22.0 17 7 7 2 4 0 24 1 0 86 0.955 9.8 6.00
2007 2 1 .667 3.00 3 3 0 0 0 0 18.0 17 6 6 0 6 0 18 2 0 78 1.278 9.0 3.00
2008 0 2 .000 3.94 3 3 0 0 0 0 16.0 21 8 7 2 4 0 16 1 0 72 1.563 9.0 4.00
Career Total 8 8 .500 3.29 20 20 0 1 0 0 120.1 108 48 44 13 33 1 113 5 0 503 1.172 8.5 3.42

3.29? I'll take it! His numbers look good, but he is on SD, so the lacking of wins is not all that surprising

Whitesoxfan23
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Reports Peavy rejected deal. John Heyman (sp) is reporting that. He wants to stay in NL

Ugh. Why am I not suprised?

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I think if this is true, Peavy is really blowing everything out of proportion. It's not like Ozzie is a nutjob. Don't get on his bad side, but I find it really hard to believe Peavy ever would. Ozzie has a lot of respect for veteran players, especially those of Peavy's stature.

It's funny how this point got stretched out of whack. Some teammate mentioned reluctance to play under Ozzie and probably has never played under Ozzie.

DirtySox
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Link on the denial?

soxfan21
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Figures...

doublem23
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Apologies, I will have blind faith in the Sox from now on. I will be a sheep.

Hey, no one said you have to be all "pie in the sky" about everything. Just don't get all upset when your "sarcasm" post is exactly like every other post, nobody reads your sarcasm.

:chillpill:

SportsPg
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Heymen also says in that report that Peavy's top two choices are the Cubs and the Brewers and that he wants to go to a NL West or Midwest team.

The Cubs have not been able to agree on a deal, and the Brewers have not even seriously had any dialogue with San Diego. The deal with the White Sox is AGREED UPON - the question is whether Peavy wants to go to the AL and play for Ozzie.

I give this a 50/50 shot as of now - nobody really knows what Peavy really wants - and his decision will decide the fate of this deal due to his no trade clause.

Oblong
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't buy into any of the "doesn't want to play for Ozzie" talk. He was a former player. A very good player and one who played during the high priced era so he can relate to these guys today.

soxyess
Sounds like Peavy is a wuss! Doesnt have the stones to play in the American League.

esbrechtel

blech...well that sucks...

Procol Harum
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
According to a story in the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are awaiting Peavy's approval:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/report-white-sox-close-to-deal-with-san-diego-for-peavy.html

MHOUSE
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't trade Beckham for Peavy with the current state of our middle infield. I think we have enough pitching as-is (if Gavin turns it around and Richard is consistently somewhere between his first start and his second) to win a mediocre central division. Our problem has been scoring runs. If we can get a lead to Dotel, Thornton, Linebrink, and Bobby we have a shut-down bullpen. Look at the game last night. That said I would think a bat should be on the way, but if we can get Peavy for Richard and Poreda and say two middle of the road prospects then GO FOR IT. We would have a stacked rotation: Burls, Peavy, Danks, Colon, Floyd. :gulp:In my opinion Beckham > Poreda in the grand scheme of prospects.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
FWIW, Heyman hasn't outright said Peavy has rejected the offer, this is mostly his posturing.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/1870755803

stacksedwards
They better come up with a better reason that he wants to bat and play in the NL. Because IMO if he rejects this just because its the AL this guy looks like a chump.

Domeshot17
I wouldn't buy into any of the "doesn't want to play for Ozzie" talk. He was a former player. A very good player and one who played during the high priced era so he can relate to these guys today.

It is a legit concern. Ozzie has a love him or hate him rep upon players. I am not saying this is the hold up, but I wouldn't dismiss it.

soxpride724
They better come up with a better reason that he wants to bat and play in the NL. Because IMO if he rejects this just because its the AL this guy looks like a chump.

I agree.

oeo
05-21-2009, 09:16 AM
blech...well that sucks...

I still think it's quite early for a decision to be made. Unless Peavy woke up having nightmares of Ozzie, I don't see why he wouldn't continue to sleep on it and give an answer later on. It's only 7am in San Diego right now.

kittle42
Well, I know who my least favorite player will be when this deal doesn't go down.

You know what? Let him go to the Cubs and be the next "savior." **** 'em.

He is really giving Towers no leverage if he wants to stay in the NL, but hey, that's his right with a NTC, I guess.

DirtySox
So where is the link that says Peavy rejected this?

kitekrazy
Sounds like Peavy is a wuss! Doesnt have the stones to play in the American League.

Until the Yankees or Red Sox offer him $25M a year.

kittle42
05-21-2009, 09:17 AM
FWIW, Heyman hasn't outright said Peavy has rejected the offer, this is mostly his posturing.

What does he have to posture about? The deal itself should be of no consequence to him aside from what team he goes to.

doublem23
05-21-2009, 09:17 AM
You're about 11 hours late. :cool:

Sockinchisox
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/report-white-sox-close-to-deal-with-san-diego-for-peavy.html

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Funny how Cutler still remains 1st page news on both paper's websites. The guy throws good passes in mini camp. Big deal.

MHOUSE
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM

This is unfortunate, if true. He was willing to go to the Flubs, but won't go a few miles south of there? While the Cubs are arguably the best team in the NL, the Sox would be the favorites in a weak division. I understand moving from an area like SD to the midwest and moving your family is tough, but to be willing to do all that to go to the Cubs, but not the Sox strictly because of the AL/NL switch is ridiculous. If this is the case, Peavy is soft. Perhaps why he always craps the bed in the playoffs?

kittle42
Funny how Cutler still remains 1st page news on both paper's websites. The guy throws good passes in mini camp. Big deal.

Bears, Schmears.

DaveIsHere
I agree with those that say if he vetoes this to stay in the NL he is a chump. Must be scared of failure.....hhhhmmmmmm. Makes you think.

kittle42
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
This is unfortunate, if true. He was willing to go to the Flubs, but won't go a few miles south of there? While the Cubs are arguably the best team in the NL, the Sox would be the favorites in a weak division. I understand moving from an area like SD to the midwest and moving your family is tough, but to be willing to do all that to go to the Cubs, but not the Sox strictly because of the AL/NL switch is ridiculous.

It's not totally ridiculous. He thinks he'd be all-star caliber in the NL and not the AL, perhaps? It's not too far-fetched. Look at the great Cy Piniero and Cy Lohse.

But, yes, **** him if it's true. I hope he plays for the Cubs and gets lit up like a ****ing Christmas tree.

SoxGirl4Life
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Heyman's twitter is all speculation on his part

WisSoxFan
05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Maybe I'm being obtuse but the Heyman twitter says nothing about turning the trade down. It says Peavy would prefer to play in the midwest and in the NL, but you have to read between the lines to see that trade negated. Or maybe I'm reading through Sox-colored glasses

Sockinchisox
Heyman updates, says trade has been agreed upon, waiting on Peavy.

doublem23
I'm moving this thread back over to the Clubhouse, this is a legitimate trade now, reported by media in Chicago, San Diego, and nationally.

Keep your fingers crossed, Sox fans. :praying:

oeo
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Heyman's twitter is all speculation on his part

That was also posted an hour ago. His latest update merely announces the trade. Sounds like the OP was overreacting.

drewcifer
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM

This is more recent:

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/1871117753