PDA

View Full Version : Did Pods miss second and advance to third?

sageofthesox
05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Early in tonight's game Pods stole second on a pickoff attempt and advanced to third on an error. However, I don't think he ever touched second base.

He was stranded at third so none of this matters. But had he scored and returned to the dugout, would he have then been called out? The Twins did not make an appeal, but the fact remains that he never touched second. What's the rule in this situation?

Rdy2PlayBall
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
He easily touched it as he was starting to turn to go to 3rd. I thought the same too but the replay made it obvious.

anewman35
05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
In a case like this, if the Twins never appealed, I think the run would count. And I could be wrong, but I think any appeal about missing second would have to take place right away, they couldn't wait a few batters and then get him called out.

DumpJerry
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I was sitting in 522 for the game tonight. Had a perfect view of the play. Pods got up, touched the outside corner of the bag and took off for Third.

voodoochile
05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
In a case like this, if the Twins never appealed, I think the run would count. And I could be wrong, but I think any appeal about missing second would have to take place right away, they couldn't wait a few batters and then get him called out.

Right, they would have had to tell the umps what they are doing then make the appeal play to second when the pitcher is on the mound with the ball before the next pitch. It's similar to the replay rule in football that way. You can't wait a down then ask for a replay...