PDA

View Full Version : Now pitching for Newark....Keith Foulke

Fenway
05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Save opportunity (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/05/20/save_opportunity)

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2009/05/20/f5__1242818883_5279.jpg

Woofer
05-20-2009, 06:45 PM
The article is a pretty good read. Interesting that Tim Raines is the manager. Good luck to both Foulke and Raines.

palehozenychicty
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
That guy was so sharp for the good guys, then he just fell off the cliff. But then he came back and threw brilliantly in Game 6 of the 04 LCS. He has my respect.

Rockin Robin
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Rob Mackowiak, Jurassic Carl, and Ryan Bukvich?!

:o:

doublem23
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM

They could probably still win the Central.

Konerko05
05-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I love Keith Foulke. His season in '99 was simply amazing. He was my favorite pitcher with the White Sox. I even modeled my traveling team pitching career after him in my teen years.

I only pitched out of the stretch. I succeeded with an average fastball and a very good change up.

ode to veeck
05-21-2009, 12:17 AM
They could probably still win the Central.

so could a bag o balls

ode to veeck
05-21-2009, 12:19 AM
the best two pitch reliever I can remember

oeo
05-21-2009, 12:27 AM

Mackowiak has fallen a long way since that trade.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Some more notables on the Newark roster:

Former Cubs "phenom" Bobby Hill
Their hitting coach is Ron Karkovice
Armando Benitez, former saves champion

WSox597
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Some more notables on the Newark roster:

Former Cubs "phenom" Bobby Hill
Their hitting coach is Ron Karkovice
Armando Benitez, former saves champion

It's really hard to believe Karkovice is the hitting coach. I could see a catching coach, or fielding coach.

Hitting coach? The guy couldn't hit a lick in the majors. Strange how that works sometimes. Heck of a catcher, very good arm, but a weak hitter.

white sox bill
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
It's really hard to believe Karkovice is the hitting coach. I could see a catching coach, or fielding coach.

Hitting coach? The guy couldn't hit a lick in the majors. Strange how that works sometimes. Heck of a catcher, very good arm, but a weak hitter.

I agree...Karko wasn't just another pretty face,

MeteorsSox4367
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Took a look at the Atlantic League's website and there are some "notables" playing there.

Somerset has fondly-remembered former Sox pitcher Bret Prinz, Newark also has Jerry Manuel's son, Anthony, and the Long Island Ducks have former Twins pain-in-the-ass Lew Ford and Sox bullpen performer Bill Simas.

Looking at the rosters brings up a lot of "Holy crap. I remember that guy..."

doublem23
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Took a look at the Atlantic League's website and there are some "notables" playing there.

Somerset has fondly-remembered former Sox pitcher Bret Prinz, Newark also has Jerry Manuel's son, Anthony, and the Long Island Ducks have former Twins pain-in-the-ass Lew Ford and Sox bullpen performer Bill Simas.

Looking at the rosters brings up a lot of "Holy crap. I remember that guy..."

I wish we could get an independent minor league team like that out in these parts. I would love to watch a bunch of guys way past their primes clinging to the game like a life saver. Instead, we get the A-ball Cougars, where maybe you'll recognize 2-3 players on the field at a time, or the crappy Northern League teams, where the biggest splash the last few years has been Mike Caruso. C'mon.

Fenway
05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
New England has the Cam-Am League which broke off from the Atlantic

Nashua has renamed themselves

http://www.americandefenders.us/index.html

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-25-2009, 06:54 PM

How bout mustache coach? :D:

Foulke You
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Foulke was one of my favorites which is why I chose him for my WSI handle. He had one of the most wicked change ups in the league earlier this decade. If his fastball was topping out at 84 mph in Newark like that one scout said, I don't know how he can be effective in the bigs again. What made Foulke devestating is that he always had hitters guessing between his 92mph fastball and his 80 mph change up. If the change and the fastball are now both the same speed, it might be tougher for him to get MLB hitters out. I wish him nothing but the best though. Sorry to hear he got a divorce too. I got to meet Mandy Foulke outside The Cell one day in 2001 and she was absolutely gorgeous.:cool: