PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Down here in SW Florida, a sports wtiter for the Naples Daily News is starting a campaign to lure the Cubs to Naples. I guess the Cubs are not happy with their deal in Arizona.
Has there been any talk up in Chicago about this?
With the Red Sox and the Twins in Ft. Myers and the Cubs in Naples this would be hell on earth for me.

cws05champ
05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Down here in SW Florida, a sports wtiter for the Naples Daily News is starting a campaign to lure the Cubs to Naples. I guess the Cubs are not happy with their deal in Arizona.
Has there been any talk up in Chicago about this?
With the Red Sox and the Twins in Ft. Myers and the Cubs in Naples this would be hell on earth for me.
I think it's just a ploy by the Cubs to get a better deal in AZ. With all the teams out there now, it would be stupid for them not to stay.

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Crane Kenney has been making noises about moving the Cubs' spring training operations to Florida. The facilities at HoHoKam park are reportedly nowhere near as good as they are at places like Camelback Ranch.

kittle42
05-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Crane Kenney has been making noises about moving the Cubs' spring training operations to Florida. The facilities at HoHoKam park are reportedly nowhere near as good as they are at places like Camelback Ranch.

Funny he cares about spring training facilities when the facilities at his regular season park are the worst in the majors.

esbrechtel
05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
There was alot of talk about this early on during ST. Basically, they want a facility that they do not have to share that is on par with Camelback....

If AZ won't give it to them then they will move down to Florida.

DumpJerry
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe they're considering this for the regular season, not ST.

SOXPHILE
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe they're considering this for the regular season, not ST.

That's what I initially thought when I first saw the thread. Naples was trying to lure them from Wrigley. Hell, I'd help them pack.

Dick Allen
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Let them go to Mars for all I care.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Funny he cares about spring training facilities when the facilities at his regular season park are the worst in the majors.

Shhh.....everyone knows The Friendly Confines is the Happiest Place on Earth. It rains gumdrops and ****s rainbows.

TDog
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Many people who have never been there, and many people who continue to go there, believe Wrigley Field is the best place in the world for baseball. There is no need to upgrade, other than adding an occasional feature.

I would be interested in knowing who the Naples sportswriter is. I worked with a reporter who went on to work as a sportswriter in Naples. When I knew him, he was falling asleep at night in the bed of his pickup truck to Dodger games he pulled in from Los Angeles.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Many people who have never been there, and many people who continue to go there, believe Wrigley Field is the best place in the world for baseball. There is no need to upgrade, other than adding an occasional feature.

I would be interested in knowing who the Naples sportswriter is. I worked with a reporter who went on to work as a sportswriter in Naples. When I knew him, he was falling asleep at night in the bed of his pickup truck to Dodger games he pulled in from Los Angeles.
His name is Dave Moulton.

TDog
05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
His name is Dave Moulton.

Not the same guy.

Steelrod
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
There was alot of talk about this early on during ST. Basically, they want a facility that they do not have to share that is on par with Camelback....

They are not going anywhere! Florida won't give it to them. The exodus is from Fla. not to it.
Sarasota was not even willing to upgrade an existing stadium. Not many Florida communities are as well healed as Sarasota!

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
They are not going anywhere! Florida won't give it to them. The exodus is from Fla. not to it.
Sarasota was not even willing to upgrade an existing stadium. Not many Florida communities are as well healed as Sarasota!
Trust me, Naples has the $$$$$$$.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Trust me, Naples has the $$$$$$$.

The exodus of Spring teams from Florida to Arizona is preciously why the Cubs will find someone willing to shell out a lot of money for them. People from Florida know how much Spring Training means money-wise, a team with a following like the Cubs will get a nice deal, wherever they chose to relocate to.

TDog
05-20-2009, 07:07 PM
The exodus of Spring teams from Florida to Arizona is preciously why the Cubs will find someone willing to shell out a lot of money for them. People from Florida know how much Spring Training means money-wise, a team with a following like the Cubs will get a nice deal, wherever they chose to relocate to.

I question whether Naples has the political will to throw money at a baseball team who would only be in town for about six weeks. I don't know anything about the demographics of the community.

I don't know if people who live there are looking at cuts in services or hikes in taxes. The money spring training means to a community is intangible to most people. I've lived in places where people complain bitterly about spending public money to support an enterprise that pays its employees million of dollars to play a game. The Miller Park deal cost ended at least one political career. Considering what a poor place it is to watch a game, the price should have been higher.

People who post at WSI tend to look down at places that don't spend public money to support professional sports, and certainly the White Sox have Illinois to thank for their current home. But, especially in this economy, I have to wonder if the political will is there to attract the Cubs to relocate their spring home.

Johnny Mostil
05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I question whether Naples has the political will to throw money at a baseball team who would only be in town for about six weeks. I don't know anything about the demographics of the community.

I don't know if people who live there are looking at cuts in services or hikes in taxes. The money spring training means to a community is intangible to most people. I've lived in places where people complain bitterly about spending public money to support an enterprise that pays its employees million of dollars to play a game. The Miller Park deal cost ended at least one political career. Considering what a poor place it is to watch a game, the price should have been higher.

People who post at WSI tend to look down at places that don't spend public money to support professional sports, and certainly the White Sox have Illinois to thank for their current home. But, especially in this economy, I have to wonder if the political will is there to attract the Cubs to relocate their spring home.

Naples is very well-heeled. The area also seems to have a high number of Midwesterners, but maybe that's just my perception and not demographic reality. At the same time, I thought the real estate crash had hit the community hard, which would seem to reinforce what you say, but I'll defer to Little Nell on the current market there.

Red Barchetta
05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I live near Sarasota and there are whispers of trying to lure the Cubs here as well since Cincinnati just finished their final season and are also moving to Arizona.

I moved here in 2005, however apparently next year will be the first spring season with no team in Sarasota in like 25 years. (I wish the SOX were still here).

I also read that Lou Pinnella mentioned that he thinks it's easier to get the players ready in Florida vs. Arizona. He indicated the humidity helps the players more than the dry heat and the pitchers get ready faster. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that or just his personal opinion, however I've been to AZ for spring training and it is a desert! The only green I saw flying in were the baseball fields and golf courses.

If the Cubs were to move to Sarasota, I think I would have to leave. I would be surrounded by Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees fans for 6 weeks every year. I don't know if I could take that! :?:

LITTLE NELL
05-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Naples is very well-heeled. The area also seems to have a high number of Midwesterners, but maybe that's just my perception and not demographic reality. At the same time, I thought the real estate crash had hit the community hard, which would seem to reinforce what you say, but I'll defer to Little Nell on the current market there.
Home prices really crashed here in the last 2 years but they were also inflated right before that. Sales are starting to pick up but because of the summer season things will be slow till the fall when the snowbirds return. When we moved here 16 years ago midwesterners were and still are the majority but we have had many more people from the northeast move in.

Hitmen77
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM

I like this reaction in the Arizona Republic to the Cubs desire for a new publicly-funded facility. :lol:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2009/04/03/20090403frilets031.html