PDA

View Full Version : Anderson activated, Lillibridge down

Sockinchisox
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Title pretty much says it all, Cowley just updated his twitter with it.

Jimmy Piersall
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Thumb facing upwards.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

soxfan21
05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
And I hope we don't see him the rest of the season. That is that....:bandance:

soxinem1
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Means nothing unless Pods is out of CF and BA is given a shot to play every day.

esbrechtel
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
:bliss:to Lillibridge going down

:smile: to Ba coming back

:popcorn: to the reaction on WSI if BA does not get playing time

DaveFeelsRight
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Means nothing unless Pods is out of CF and BA is given a shot to play every day.Yup.

Rohan
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Means nothing unless Pods is out of CF and BA is given a shot to play every day.

I don't think we need to worry about that too much. I'm pretty sure Brian has proven he's our best option in Center Field.
Besides, isn't Quentin still out?

oeo
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Here we go...

spawn
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Can we please not have this debate here? I'm asking nicely.

Madvora
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Has there been any news on Wise?

palehozenychicty
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Good. Put him in tonight. Then give Fields his #22 back.

kittle42
05-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Can this please mean no more keystone cops in the OF?

cheezheadsoxfan
05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Going to game, hope he's in lineup.:bliss:Bye Lillibridge!

SoxGirl4Life
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Better looking lineup

CashMan
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Ya, he still sucks.

Rohan
05-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Shoulder injuries can really mess up a player. Probably one of the most simple, serious injuries in terms of a season.

JB98
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Wise took batting practice yesterday. It is believed that he is about 7-10 days away from heading out on a rehab assignment.

doublem23
05-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Hallelujah

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, hopefully Anderson can help inject some offense into this team. He certainly can't be any worse than Lillibridge.

JB98
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, hopefully Anderson can help inject some offense into this team. He certainly can't be any worse than Lillibridge.

No, he won't be as bad as Lillibridge. But I don't see Anderson as the offensive savior either. He will, however, prevent clown-shoes defensive gaffes like the one we saw in the third inning yesterday.

CashMan
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Wasn't Anderson hitting .300 before he was hurt?

voodoochile
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Welcome back BA!

At least until Quentin gets healthy, both BA and Pods will be starting I would imagine.

doublem23
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Wasn't Anderson hitting .300 before he was hurt?

.288/.383/.327

I look forward to watching him get stranded in scoring position.

johnnyg83
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Hard to find bright spots these days, so I'll take it.

It's Dankerific
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I approve of this news.

voodoochile
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I approve of this news.

NO WAY!!! :tongue:

Rohan
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
.288/.383/.327

I look forward to watching him get stranded in scoring position.

Haha...
I don't look for anyone player to be a "savior".
But every bit of fundamentally sound baseball helps. And fundamental baseball is exactly what this team needs.

thomas35forever
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Good news to hear. I don't want Lillibridge back up here this season unless he's absolutely tearing it up in the minors.

LoveYourSuit
05-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Never thought I would see the day where a BA return brings a smile to everyone at WSI.

voodoochile
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Haha...
I don't look for anyone player to be a "savior".
But every bit of fundamentally sound baseball helps. And fundamental baseball is exactly what this team needs.

I'm not sure I agree with that anymore. I think it's getting close to the point where they should just start trying to jack every pitch into the seats and hope they connect a few times a game. This grinder ball crap isn't working. Time to play to our strengths, sit back and wait and when you see a pitch to hit swing as hard as you can in case you hit it...

daveeym
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that anymore. I think it's getting close to the point where they should just start trying to jack every pitch into the seats and hope they connect a few times a game. This grinder ball crap isn't working. Time to play to our strengths, sit back and wait and when you see a pitch to hit swing as hard as you can in case you hit it...Like they aren't doing that already? :scratch:

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
:bliss:to Lillibridge going down

:smile: to Ba coming back

:popcorn: to the reaction on WSI if BA does not get playing time

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lpwrwngWjNg/SMfT_AgZZVI/AAAAAAAADMM/vvDehMWVpiA/s400/RodSerling.jpg

"I'm quite certain I've been here before."

DonnieDarko
05-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Really?! Lillibridge's been sent down?!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ahem. Excuse me. I just got a little excited. :smile:

Britt Burns
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Let's hope Lillibridge can put it together in Charlotte. He didn't show much while he was with the team (to put it mildly), although he never should have been asked to learn to play the outfield at the Major League level.

russ99
05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Wise took batting practice yesterday. It is believed that he is about 7-10 days away from heading out on a rehab assignment.

Given the extent of his injury, that could be a fairly long rehab assignment. I'm thinking June 15th is a fair estimate.

Now is the time for Anderson to show what he can do. He's got 3 weeks to prove himself. If not, the Sox could be selling him at the deadline too...

Though I am glad the Sox also have Pods. He's done OK at the plate, and is probably a better option than Nix in LF while Quentin is out.

Domeshot17
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Thank god, Lillibridge is terrible. He did an awful job for us, and I hope we never see him again. He is worlds behind Nix, and that is not an easy task.

He will be back I am sure though, this year just has 2007 written all over it.

Domeshot17
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Given the extent of his injury, that could be a fairly long rehab assignment. I'm thinking June 15th is a fair estimate.

Now is the time for Anderson to show what he can do. He's got 3 weeks to prove himself. If not, the Sox could be selling him at the deadline too...

Though I am glad the Sox also have Pods. He's done OK at the plate, and is probably a better option than Nix in LF while Quentin is out.

Pods OPS in May was almost 150 points higher then Quentins. Unless he can get his head out of his ass, he hasn't been much use to us either.

HOpefully Anderson can stay hot, outside Konerko, hes been about the only thing to cheer for this year.

SBSoxFan
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Pods OPS in May was almost 150 points higher then Quentins. Unless he can get his head out of his ass, he hasn't been much use to us either.

HOpefully Anderson can stay hot, outside Konerko, hes been about the only thing to cheer for this year.
:burly

"aahem."

Rohan
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that anymore. I think it's getting close to the point where they should just start trying to jack every pitch into the seats and hope they connect a few times a game. This grinder ball crap isn't working. Time to play to our strengths, sit back and wait and when you see a pitch to hit swing as hard as you can in case you hit it...

That's exactly the kind of mentality that's going to fail us. When i say fundamental baseball i mean sound defense, hitting for a high base percentage, and sound pitching. I was implying that we don't need an all star player who's got an ERA of .5 or a batting average of .450.
We need guy's who consistently play baseball at a MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL.

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Some harsh words from Ozzie:

"You have to use your legs, play baseball, and when you have warning-track power you're going to go from minor leagues to the Mexican League to Korean League," Guillen said. "He has a tough road to come back here. He's not doing what he's supposed to do. I'm just being honest. He got the message three times, and he has to change his ballgame."

spawn
05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Some harsh words from Ozzie:

"You have to use your legs, play baseball, and when you have warning-track power you're going to go from minor leagues to the Mexican League to Korean League," Guillen said. "He has a tough road to come back here. He's not doing what he's supposed to do. I'm just being honest. He got the message three times, and he has to change his ballgame."
Ozzie is right. With his speed and lack of power, the last thing he needs to be doing is swinging for the fences.

thedudeabides
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Ozzie is right. With his speed and lack of power, the last thing he needs to be doing is swinging for the fences.

The Sox have been trying to hammer this home to him, but he just doesn't seem to want to listen. I've heard Ozzie, Walker, and Cora all talk about working with him to cut down his swing. I hope he figures it out in Charlotte.

AlleghenySoxFan
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Elves shouldn't play baseball

skobabe8
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Its amazing how much more comfortable I feel when BA is in CF.

kittle42
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM

It gives me strange feelings of warmth.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
It gives me strange feelings of warmth.

I always knew you'd come around... :tongue:

voodoochile
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I always knew you'd come around... :tongue:

I think he's shellshocked or has PTSD from all the battles he's been waging. Something snapped in Kittle's head. You FOBAs have broken Kittle. I hope you're happy now...:tongue:

jabrch
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Seriously?

I am more comfortable when Buehrle starts.

I am more comfortable when we hit 2 HRs in a game.

I am more comfortable when 3 - 4 - 5 go hit .500 with an obp of .750 and SLG of 1.416.

I'm more comfortable when the starter goes 7 and the pen can line up correctly.

Brian makes me comfortable when he executes as he did before getting hurt. I hope that happens and he can continue what he was doing before. But his mere presence does not make me any more comfortable. He has not earned that status yet.

voodoochile
05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Seriously?

I am more comfortable when 3 - 4 - 5 go hit .500 with an obp of .750 and SLG of 1.416.

Brian makes me comfortable when he executes as he did before getting hurt. I hope that happens and he can continue what he was doing before. But his mere presence does not make me any more comfortable. He has not earned that status yet.

Shhhhhh... You aren't going to win. You aren't going to change any minds. It's a thread about BA, just don't click on it...

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM

As someone who has gotten flamed for being a big critic of many of Ozzie's decisions, I am going to go out of my way to point out that I agree with Ozzie on the Lillibridge issue.

Ozzie is exactly right; Lillibridge has the tools to be a decent player, perhaps even a leadoff-hitting second baseman, if he can walk more, strike out much less, bunt for hits and sacrifices, and slap little singles through the infield defense. It's worth sending him to Charlotte in the hopes that he will develop and practice these skills in game situations. Basically, Lillibridge could become David Eckstein, who has had a nice MLB career.

kitekrazy
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Ya, he still sucks.

You missed the word "news".

doublem23
05-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Seriously?

That's all nice and well, but anytime you get dump a guy like Lillibridge off your roster, you got to feel good.

soxfan21
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
That's all nice and well, but anytime you get dump a guy like Lillibridge off your roster, you got to feel good.

I agree, and I was thrilled.

ode to veeck
05-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I think he's shellshocked or has PTSD from all the battles he's been waging. Something snapped in Kittle's head. You FOBAs have broken Kittle. I hope you're happy now...:tongue:

Snorted my coffee right up the nose on that one

we need a new optomism thread with this one game *streak* and BA back

ode to veeck
05-20-2009, 11:40 AM

he really needs work in the minors with the stick, without it, there's no compliment to his other skills

jabrch
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM

While that is true, I was responding to the specific statement that just having Brian around makes someone more comfortable. It had nothing to do with having Lillibridge or not.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
While that is true, I was responding to the specific statement that just having Brian around makes someone more comfortable. It had nothing to do with having Lillibridge or not.

You're overreacting. No one is saying Brian is the answer to all our problems, but its nice to have him back. Regardless of how you feel about BA, the Sox found absolutely the worst replacement for him in Lillibridge. The fact that he's gone makes me feel fantastic.

DonnieDarko
05-20-2009, 12:30 PM
What doublem said. I'm not 100% sold on Anderson, but I do hope that he does very well. After all, I'm donating money to charity based on his performance. :smile:

But again, he's just gotten back, so I'm more than willing to give him some time to get acclimated once again to the Majors. I honestly didn't expect him to start rocking the house or anything. As I said before, on one of his Ks he chased a low breaking ball, which was the book on him before. I just hope that he can lay off such a pitch in the future and continue to contribute to the club as he did before he got hurt.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
You're overreacting. No one is saying Brian is the answer to all our problems,

And I didn't say that anyone said that. Right? What I did say that someone said, which I responded to, and I don't believe overreacted to, is that they feel more comfortable when BA is in the lineup. I don't. BA replaces Pods in the lineup. Neither of them comfort me just in their existence on the roster if they aren't living up to expectations. My expectations aren't even very high. To make me comfortable, Brian needs to hit about .250. That's it. But he needs to do it over an extended period of time. Let's see what happens.

Regardless of how you feel about BA, the Sox found absolutely the worst replacement for him in Lillibridge. The fact that he's gone makes me feel fantastic.

Lillibridge was not a replacement for BA. Pods was. Lillibridge was forced into play lately with TCQ (and Wise) hurt, right? And it isn't regardless of how I feel about BA - that's EXACTLY the issue at hand that Skobabe8 posed, and that I was responding to.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
But again, he's just gotten back, so I'm more than willing to give him some time to get acclimated once again to the Majors. I honestly didn't expect him to start rocking the house or anything. As I said before, on one of his Ks he chased a low breaking ball, which was the book on him before. I just hope that he can lay off such a pitch in the future and continue to contribute to the club as he did before he got hurt.

Nobody said anything to the contrary...

My response was to the following

And until he performs consistently, no. I will be no more comfortable with him in CF than I was with him prior to 2009.

BA, Pods, Wise, Owens... It's all crap to me. If you replaced them with anyone with a proven track record, then yes, I'd be more comfortable.

DonnieDarko
05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Nobody said anything to the contrary...

My response was to the following

Oh, I know. I was simply adding in my own two cents, which happened to agree with him. Also, I agree with what you say in the last part of your post: I would feel much more comfortable, at least right now, with someone else with a proven track record playing CF. But we don't have that right now, so I'll live. If Anderson can keep things going at hit at near a .250-.260 clip, then I'll be very happy.

My apologies if my post wasn't that clear.

It's Dankerific
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
And it isn't regardless of how I feel about BA - that's EXACTLY the issue at hand that Skobabe8 posed, and that I was responding to.

There is no "issue" when someone says they feel more comfortable about something. There was no challenge that YOU must also feel comfortable.

Of course I agree with Skobabe8. Its comforting to know that when the ball is hit to CF it has a ML chance of being caught, instead of what HAD been going on.

I also feel more comfortable watching the game on my couch rather than on my computer chair. Maybe your computer chair is much more comfortable and that statement is also debatable. :rolleyes:

doublem23
05-20-2009, 02:02 PM
And until he performs consistently, no. I will be no more comfortable with him in CF than I was with him prior to 2009.

BA, Pods, Wise, Owens... It's all crap to me. If you replaced them with anyone with a proven track record, then yes, I'd be more comfortable.

Skobabe mearly said he's more comfortable with Anderson in CF, but he didn't say how comfortable that is (he may very well still be uncomfortable with our CF situation). You're the one putting words in someone's mouth here. I don't care how ****ty BA may or may not be, he's a thousand times better than Lillibridge.

Marqhead
05-20-2009, 02:19 PM
These conversations get funnier by the post. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

It's Dankerific
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm more comfortable when Marqhead finds a thread funny.

:D:

ode to veeck
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

256 shades of grey, good thing they haven't gone to 64-bit (or 32 bit for that matter)

jabrch
05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Skobabe mearly said he's more comfortable with Anderson in CF, but he didn't say how comfortable that is (he may very well still be uncomfortable with our CF situation). You're the one putting words in someone's mouth here. I don't care how ****ty BA may or may not be, he's a thousand times better than Lillibridge.

Where did I put words in her mouth? I just said that I am not comfortable and that I am surprised she is more comfortable. I stated things that would make me more comfortable. How's that putting words in her mouth?

She's welcome to whatever comfort level Brian gives her. Nobody said otherwise Dubs. I asked her why...and you are accusing me of putting words in her mouth? I don't get it.

Crap comes in a millions shades of brown. None more comforting than any other. Until one of these guys proves themself to be anything other than crap, I can't see myself comfortable.

kittle42
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
What is it about the name Brian Anderson that turns normally intelligent folk into complete morons (yours truly included).

Everyone should just stop and walk away. Anderson back = good; Lillibridge gone = good.

doublem23
05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Where did I put words in her mouth? I just said that I am not comfortable and that I am surprised she is more comfortable. I stated things that would make me more comfortable. How's that putting words in her mouth?

If you really don't see that Anderson, even at his ****tiest, is 10,000x times better than Lillibridge, then we just need to agree to disagree.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
If you really don't see that Anderson, even at his ****tiest, is 10,000x times better than Lillibridge, then we just need to agree to disagree.

What's 10,000 times Zero?

Seriously - I'm not sure what the impact is in terms of games won. I don't believe in win shares and that crap. But if there was a way to calculate it, I guarantee you the difference between the # of wins credited to Lillibridge is not 1/10,000 of what BA is worth. I've yet to see enough from BA to not lump him in the bucket with the proverbial "replacement player." Maybe Lillibridge is worth less than that "replacement player'. Maybe the same is true about Owens too. And Wise? Maybe. But I have yet to see that BA is worth more than the proverbial "replacement player". We keep taking risks on guys who have a greater upside/downside than just going out and signing the replacement player himself. I'm ok with that strategy - and I'll live with the good/bad. I'd like to eventually see the good.

But don't expect me to buy into the theory that the difference between Lillibridge, Brian and a "replacement player" (lets use Pods as an example) is significant. If we didn't have an injury to TCQ and to Wise, Lillibridge would not be in the lineup, and we'd be in virtually the exact same spot in my eyes.

BadBobbyJenks
05-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Another BA debate that has nothing to do with a "FOBA". I find these ones funny.

DirtySox
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I feel foolish asking this, but what does "FOBA" stand for?

Is it "Followers of Brian Anderson?"

doublem23
05-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I feel foolish asking this, but what does "FOBA" stand for?

Is it "Followers of Brian Anderson?"

Fans, Friends, Followers... Whatever you feel like, I suppose.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Fans, Friends, Followers... Whatever you feel like, I suppose.

I thought it was "Fearful of Omniprescent Brian's Abilities, like Aaron Rowand"