PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Trade possibility?

soxyess
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
The Mets just lost Delgado for an extended period of time. How about sending them Konerko for one of their prospects either Wilmer Flores (ss-3b) or Fernando Martinez (cf). Konerko has one year left after this year so the Mets wouldnt have a big contract to take on, and Konerko's bat in the NL would be a plus. His defense is as good if not better than Delgado. I know he is a 10-5 guy, but im sure he can be talked into a trade to a real contender. What do u think?

doublem23
05-19-2009, 09:39 AM
What do u think?

I think u should find the right forum.

DumpJerry
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Last time I looked at a map, New York is about as far from Arizona as you can get in MLB (only Boston is further).

Paulie has always shown an interest in playing close to his home in Arizona if he was not with the Sox. That is why the Angels were able to make a serious offer after the '05 season.

JohnTucker0814
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
The Mets just lost Delgado for an extended period of time. How about sending them Konerko for one of their prospects either Wilmer Flores (ss-3b) or Fernando Martinez (cf). Konerko has one year left after this year so the Mets wouldnt have a big contract to take on, and Konerko's bat in the NL would be a plus. His defense is as good if not better than Delgado. I know he is a 10-5 guy, but im sure he can be talked into a trade to a real contender. What do u think?

I'm definately okay with trading Konerko, but I doubt the Mets will give you a "top" prospect for him... I'd almost guarantee Martinez wouldn't be a part of it...

jabrch
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm definately okay with trading Konerko, but I doubt the Mets will give you a "top" prospect for him... I'd almost guarantee Martinez wouldn't be a part of it...

It doesn't matter unless something drastic has changed and Paul has a sudden interest in going to play on the East Coast.

spawn
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm just amazed we're talking about trading key players and it's not even June.

veeter
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I just don't think Kenny is ready to give up just yet.

esbrechtel
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I highly doubt Paulie is going anywhere. First he has a NTC. Second he is playing well and will put some butts in the seats even if the team is terrible....

soxyess
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Players can always be convinced to waive a no-trade clause. He would have a legitimate chance at winning another World Series. Thats not going to happen here. His time in NY would be minimal, and the Mets may try to move him back west after the season. His contract is not that bad compared with what is out there. Ive read that that the Mets have kind of soured a bit on Martinez, and where are they going to play Flores (think Wright and Reyes). I think its a good match up.

DumpJerry
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
It doesn't matter unless something drastic has changed and Paul has a sudden interest in going to play on the East Coast.
When he was a FA after '05, he laughed at the Orioles even trying to sign him.

DumpJerry
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Players can always be convinced to waive a no-trade clause. He would have a legitimate chance at winning another World Series. Thats not going to happen here. His time in NY would be minimal, and the Mets may try to move him back west after the season. His contract is not that bad compared with what is out there. Ive read that that the Mets have kind of soured a bit on Martinez, and where are they going to play Flores (think Wright and Reyes). I think its a good match up.
:cleo
I see I have competition.

JohnTucker0814
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
:cleo
I see I have competition.

If he is a FA, how would the Mets try to move him anywhere?

He's not a FA after this year.... still under contract for 2010!

kittle42
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the first of many ridiculous trade threads...and it's only mid-May! I can't wait!

soxyess
05-19-2009, 10:26 AM
When he was a FA after '05, he laughed at the Orioles even trying to sign him.

Paulie didnt want a long term deal on the east coast, but something short term with a chance to win a WS could be enticing. We might have to throw in a reliever to enhance the deal.

DumpJerry
He's not a FA after this year.... still under contract for 2010!
I realized that after I made my post and edited it. But how would they do that given his NTC?

I'm not asking you, I'm asking the OP.

Frater Perdurabo
He probably would veto a trade to the Mets. But the Mets' loss of Delgado would drive up the price of power in the mid-season trade market, which would be a sliver of silver lining among the dark clouds that scud over if the Sox decide to cell, sorry, sell, at midseason.

With Manny's suspension, the Dodgers might need a power-hitting outfielder like Dye. Both the Diamondbacks and Giants could use a first baseman, like Konerko. If Ortiz continues to suck, the Red Sox might need a LH DH like Thome. And if the Mets are shopping for power, too, it would increase the price. More buyers = higher prices.

Obviously it is way too early to sell out 2009. But if they continue their slide, and KW decides to selll, there may be a number of intriguing trade possibilities.

DumpJerry
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Paulie didnt want a long term deal on the east coast
Well, I see you agree that your thread is silly. Paulie won't consent to the East Coast.

soxyess
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, I see you agree that your thread is silly. Paulie won't consent to the East Coast.

He did not want to spend 4 or 5 years on the east coast

Woofer
05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of giving away someone who might end up with their White Sox number retired. You need to get major league talent, just getting a prospect or two won't cut it in my eyes.

Coolpapa
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
If Reyes keeps being a distraction he could be had

Coolpapa
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm just amazed we're talking about trading key players and it's not even June.
We started last year at 14-17. The trade stuff will die down soon.

DSpivack
05-19-2009, 12:20 PM

In your dreams, possibly...

thomas35forever
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Konerko is our most consistent hitter this season. Everyone else has had some sort of slump so far. Furthermore, the Mets are a hungry team after blowing the division the last two years. There's no way they give up more than an average AA player right now.

areilly
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
We started last year at 14-17. The trade stuff will die down soon.

2008 is the new 2005? Awesome.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I would like Paulie to finish his career with the Sox. In this day of free agency and team loyalty a thing of the past it would be refreshing to see PK spend 99% of his career on the Southside. He also will finish 2nd to the Big Hurt in most of the offensive catagories if he stays with the Sox.
He is also closest thing we have to a team leader.

getonbckthr
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Sure if the conversation starts with Danks and Beckham.

kaufsox
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
2008 is the new 2005? Awesome.
:scratch: