PDA

View Full Version : Jose's Latest Start

DeuceUnit
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Tonight for Charlotte: Complete game 1 hit shut out...Not bad!

BadBobbyJenks
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Bb/k?

JohnTucker0814
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Bb/k?

3 BB / 5 K's

DirtySox
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
3 Walks, 5 K's.

SoxGirl4Life
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
hmmmm.. I need to check out the box score. Just like no pitcher should be bragging about shutting out the Sox right now, Jose having a good game in the minors might be an illusion. I hope not, but I'm not going to get my hopes up

sunofgold
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
His first start at Charlotte was 6 IP and no runs. However, he had 5 BB/ 5Ks that start. Still ,very good so far.

Hartman
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
That tells me he has major mental issues.

jabrch
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Or that his stuff is good enough to get out kids in the minors, but not good enough to get out professional hitters who have seen him and know the book on him...

SoxGirl4Life
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Who are we to judge that? We're watching this team, for pete's sake! We may have a few issues of our own! lol

oeo
05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
What I'd like to know most is whether he could get his forkball over for a strike. Or at the very least get it close enough to a strike that it's tantalizing.

We're going to need Jose if this team has plans of going anywhere, so hopefully he can turn it around. I think he still has something left in the tank.

It's Dankerific
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
it should be noted that the no hitter was lost in the 8th inning, with 2 outs. 4 outs from immortality!

Woofer
05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Hopefully Jose is getting himself figured out. It would be great to have him back as an insurance poilcy.

ode to veeck
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Or that his stuff is good enough to get out kids in the minors, but not good enough to get out professional hitters who have seen him and know the book on him...

breaking stuff in the show is nothing like they've seen in the minors
if Jose could hit his spots consistently, he could be pitching again for us at the Cell

balke
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
This really wouldn't be shocking to see him dominate a few games up in the majors. Really it is his what he has done his entire career, lose 3 of the worst games in history by giving up 7 in one inning, then come back the next game and give up 1 through 7 IP.

This time was a longer stretch though, and he was coming off injury. The Sox had to do something. I have faith he can make it back up to the majors, he's just going to have to pitch like that 2-3 more times maybe.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
That 9 innings of shutout ball is enough to get us to extra innings...

TDog
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
breaking stuff in the show is nothing like they've seen in the minors
if Jose could hit his spots consistently, he could be pitching again for us at the Cell

I agree. In-person scouting is in order, probably after a few more starts. Really, the strikeouts-to-walks ratio doesn't tell the whole story. Players who don't face major league breaking stuff might be more easily retired on pitches that major leaguers would take for balls. Many major league pitchers get most of their strikeout on pitches out of the strike zone, but pitchers generally have to have pretty good stuff to accomplish that.

Contreras' stuff wasn't that good when he was with the Sox this season. My impression is that he had problems with his command, not his velocity. In the minors there is a greater margin of error at the fringes of success. Some pitchers have been quite successful at AAA and AA living within that margin of error. A few don't make as much use of it.

There is no such thing as a statistical conversion from one level to the next. A pitcher with an ERA under 2 in the PCL might get hit very hard in the AL, but a pitcher with an ERA of 3.50 in the PCL could end up having a lower average in the AL because he has better defense behind him. Scouting by statistics is a guessing game.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2009, 10:22 PM
I still think he's walking too many guys. As others mentioned, his command has been terrible all season. Jose's only useful if the forkball gets over for strikes. Otherwise, he's a liability.

DrCrawdad
05-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Go jose!

contreras in control at triple-a (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090518&content_id=587481&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp)
major league veteran tosses one-hitter in second start with charlotte (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090518&content_id=587481&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp)

doublem23
05-19-2009, 08:06 AM
That 9 innings of shutout ball is enough to get us to extra innings...

:rolling:

That's going to be the POTW later today when I get home from work.

Bravo. :thumbsup:

Huisj
05-19-2009, 08:55 AM
That's good to see. I think the most impressive thing about the whole situation with him seems to be his attitude about wanting to go down to get lots of work in to get the control and feel for pitching back.

veeter
05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
That's good to see. I think the most impressive thing about the whole situation with him seems to be his attitude about wanting to go down to get lots of work in to get the control and feel for pitching back.I agree. The man has his ego in check. If he could somehow turn things around, it would be a very cool story.

Britt Burns
05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
That's good to see. I think the most impressive thing about the whole situation with him seems to be his attitude about wanting to go down to get lots of work in to get the control and feel for pitching back.

Yes, I totally agree. A lot of vet players-maybe even most of them-would never agree to going back to the minors to work on their game like he has. Good for him.

DirtySox
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Apparently Jose's forkball and slider were pretty solid according to BA. Mark Gonzales suggests that if Jose keeps improving he might take Floyd's spot.

Jose Contreras could put Floyd's spot in Jeopardy (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-20-white-sox-bits-chicago-may20,0,4699359.story)

oeo
05-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Apparently Jose's forkball and slider were pretty solid according to BA.

If what he says is true (first pitch forkball strikes), then Jose could be back very shortly. :bandance:

Konerko05
05-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Apparently Jose's forkball and slider were pretty solid according to BA. Mark Gonzales suggests that if Jose keeps improving he might take Floyd's spot.

Jose Contreras could put Floyd's spot in Jeopardy (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-20-white-sox-bits-chicago-may20,0,4699359.story)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090519&content_id=4815606&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

In this article, BA says Contreras' split was the best he's ever seen from him.

That is extremely encouraging.