PDA

View Full Version : ALCS and WS games to start earlier

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 11:48 AM
....to appease those whiners on the East Coast again. I'm kidding, of course. This is good news.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090517&content_id=4791706&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

SBSoxFan
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Now they just need to push up the start date!

PKalltheway
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I found this particular part of the article interesting:

Selig also introduced a more dramatic, retro idea: weekend afternoon World Series games. The network ultimately deemed that impractical.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Not baseball...not the teams...not the fans...the network.

Hmm....I know they need to make $ at this, but I think a mid afternoon game in October for any city east of the Rockies would be better than a night game. But, what do I know.

jdm2662
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Not baseball...not the teams...not the fans...the network.

Hmm....I know they need to make $ at this, but I think a mid afternoon game in October for any city east of the Rockies would be better than a night game. But, what do I know.

The networks pay a lot of money to broadcast the games. Like it or not, they call the shots. When MLB pays for their rights to broadcast games, they will get to call the shots.

RichFitztightly
05-18-2009, 02:45 PM
It's a nice start, but they need to go on earlier. 7pm Eastern sounds reasonable and 4 or 5 ET on the weekends would work fine. Think about it, You don't need to be in prime time to attract an audience, you just need a compelling product and the fans will find it. 7pm Eastern will allow most people across the country to get home in plenty of time to catch the games. Certainly they can catch the most exciting endings of games.

All the advertisers should care about is raw numbers. They shouldn't care whether those numbers come in prime time or not.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
The networks pay a lot of money to broadcast the games. Like it or not, they call the shots. When MLB pays for their rights to broadcast games, they will get to call the shots.

I know how it works. See the post above me. It was said better than I tried....but I agree.

thomas35forever
05-18-2009, 03:11 PM
About damn time. I'm sick of seeing games end around 11:00 PM, and I agree with the poster who says they need to make sure the Series doesn't go beyond October 30.

thedudeabides
05-18-2009, 03:12 PM

They could have made it a stipulation in the contract, but it's too late for that.

I wish they would give it a shot. I know it's not going to draw in a prime time type of rating, but it may draw in more casual fans overall to the series.

I don't really have a problem with the night games, and I am glad to see they will be starting at a more reasonable time. That had to be miserable trying to watch these games on the east coast.

FloridaTigers
05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm glad selig atleast tried to get an afternoon WS game. FOX is full of fools. I wish the WS was on another network.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
It's a nice start, but they need to go on earlier. 7pm Eastern sounds reasonable and 4 or 5 ET on the weekends would work fine. Think about it, You don't need to be in prime time to attract an audience, you just need a compelling product and the fans will find it. 7pm Eastern will allow most people across the country to get home in plenty of time to catch the games. Certainly they can catch the most exciting endings of games.

Case in point, the NFL.

captainclutch24
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Red Sox and Dodger fans will be happy I guess

Brian26
05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Red Sox and Dodger fans will be happy I guess

I think every kid in America should be happy that there's a chance now that he/she may see the conclusion of some World Series games that usually end around 11pm Central/Midnight Eastern time.