PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox may sign Frank Thomas

Fenway
05-18-2009, 12:34 AM
WBZ-TV in Boston is reporting that the Red Sox are close to signing Frank Thomas to a contract at AAA Pawtucket for a look see as they are getting convinced David Ortiz may well be at the end of the road.

It's Dankerific
05-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Good for Frank! He deserves a chance. He wont do worse than Ortiz!

Fenway
05-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't think it would be possible to look as bad as Papi does right now. Thursday he was 0-7 and left 12 men on base.Red Sox have nothing to lose here.

Average Homeboy
05-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Good for Frank, Bonds would be a better signing for them though...

asindc
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I rooted for Frank when he played in Oakland. I rooted for Frank when he played in Toronto. I suppose my support for him is about to be tested...

Vestigio
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I wonder if he'll be inducted into the HOF as a member of Red Sox now...

DumpJerry
05-18-2009, 10:29 AM
:o:

jackbrohamer
05-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I wonder if he'll be inducted into the HOF as a member of Red Sox now...

No need for teal! If he played for the Red Sox and had a big year for them, it would significantly increase his HOF chances through the East Coast echo system.

Brian26
05-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm rooting for Frank too. I think he's one of the greatest hitters of our generation, but I'm skeptical his bat is going to be able to catch up to major league pitching after being out for so long.

It would be strange to see him in Red Sox colors, even moreso than the A's and Jays.

The other problem with Frank being on the Red Sox, of course, is that he won't be able to pad his stats off Wakefield anymore. :D:

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
While I might cringe at the sight of Hurt in a Sawx uni, I'd be happy just to see that he would get another chance to prove if he is done or not. It would be terrible for him to retire simply because no one would give him a shot.

gregoriop
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Add me to list of people with mixed feelings. I am a Frank Thomas fan, not a "whatever team Frank Thomas is on" fan.

soltrain21
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
How about we trade you Thome instead?! Cmonnnnnnn

LoveYourSuit
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm rooting for Frank too. I think he's one of the greatest hitters of our generation, but I'm skeptical his bat is going to be able to catch up to major league pitching after being out for so long.

It would be strange to see him in Red Sox colors, even moreso than the A's and Jays.

The other problem with Frank being on the Red Sox, of course, is that he won't be able to pad his stats off Wakefield anymore. :D:

Holly crap you are so right, he just feasted off him like a homeless man at a buffet table! I remeber that 3 HR performance he had off him at Fenway, awesome!!!

Frank is and will always be my favorite player to ever wear a Sox uniform. I will cheer for him wherever he goes. Very nice for him to have a chance to win a championship too.

Who would have ever thought that the "Great Big Papi" would be taking a backseat to Frank Thomas.

areilly
05-18-2009, 12:04 PM
No need for teal! If he played for the Red Sox and had a big year for them, it would significantly increase his HOF chances through the East Coast echo system.

You know, I love the Sox fan inferiority complex as much as anyone - indugle in it quite a bit myself - but this is a ridiculous assertion. There are no "chances" about Frank's induction into the Hall. Whatever happens with (and in) Boston, he's going to the Hall. End of story.

Sheesh.

Foulke You
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
You know, I love the Sox fan inferiority complex as much as anyone - indugle in it quite a bit myself - but this is a ridiculous assertion. There are no "chances" about Frank's induction into the Hall. Whatever happens with (and in) Boston, he's going to the Hall. End of story.

Sheesh.
Never underestimate the "White Sox" factor with the HOF. Billy Pierce never got in. Minoso didn't get much consideration. Nellie Fox got in only after he passed away. Harold Baines won't even get consideration despite other borderline HOF # guys getting at least some votes.

TDog
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Holly crap you are so right, he just feasted off him like a homeless man at a buffet table! I remeber that 3 HR performance he had off him at Fenway, awesome!!!

Thomas had a career batting average of .268 against Wakefield. He had 15 hits in 56 at bats. Seven of those hits were home runs (Thomas is in double digits against a lot of guys, though), and two more were doubles. But Wakefield struck out Thomas 16 times. There were two sacrifice flies, which should be counted as a time at bat against a hitter's batting average (it does count as an at bat against a player's on-base percentage), so .268 is a bit inflated. Essentially, it was usually all or nothing for Thomas against Wakefield. And I wouldn't doubt that Thomas hit singles off the Green Monster against Wakefield that might have been home runs elsewhere.

As much as I loved Frank Thomas when he was with the White Sox, when I saw him in Oakland last year, he looked like he was done. The Red Sox should be able to find more production elsewhere.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
We'll see what Frank can do, but I'm not sure.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
How about we trade you Thome instead?! Cmonnnnnnn

Now there's an idea I can agree with. Thome looks just as done as Papi. Bring back the best hitter in franchise history and let him retire in a Sox uni. I think KW's biggest mistake ever was the whole dump Frank, trade Rowand for Thome debacle.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Sheesh.

Many nationally-published assessments of Frank Thomas that I have read conclude that he is not an automatic for the hall of fame. While I think he should be a first-ballot selection, he certainly could benefit from additional support. There is no question, whatsoever, that if he had a season for a media-dominant team like Boston (or the Yankees or Mets), similar to his 2007 season in Toronto (or his 2006 season in Oakland), it could boost his chances substantially.

I have absolutely no inferiority complex, whatsoever, about anything. But thanks for caring.

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Sheesh.You honestly think he'll get in?

BadBobbyJenks
05-18-2009, 01:20 PM

:rolleyes: He is already a hall of famer.

doublem23
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
You honestly think he'll get in?

Do you have any shread of doubt he won't?

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Do you have any shread of doubt he won't?I don't think it'll be as cut-and-dried as everyone thinks.

pmck003
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm skeptical his bat is going to be able to catch up to major league pitching after being out for so long.

Nothing a few ZizZazzes can't take care of

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think it'll be as cut-and-dried as everyone thinks.

What would be the rationale for even doubting Thomas (pun intended)?

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
What would be the rationale for even doubting Thomas (pun intended)?

The sportswriters won't want to vote in a guy who spent half his career as a DH.

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
The sportswriters won't want to vote in a guy who spent half his career as a DH.

Why? DH is a position in the AL and has been for over 30 years. He played 1st to start his career. No self-respecting HOF voter should even justify voting against Thomas for that reason, or they should be stripped of their voting priviledges.

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Why? DH is a position in the AL and has been for over 30 years. He played 1st to start his career. No self-respecting HOF voter should even justify voting against Thomas for that reason, or they should be stripped of their voting priviledges.

One can only hope. But when writers in Chicago openly campaign against a DH getting the MVP award (as they did to Thomas in 2000) you have to wonder how they'll act once Thomas is eligible for the Hall.

TDog
05-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Some of the sportswriters who have publicly questioned Frank Thomas' Hall of Fame credentials are sportswriters who vote. I think it's entirely possible he won't get in on the first ballot. I am confident he will get in eventually.

If Thomas plays in Boston like he did in Oakland last year, it would hurt his cause, though.

BleacherBandit
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
George Brett and Tony Gwynn both got 97% of their HOF votes the first time. And they played for teams that have gotten comprable media attention if not less than the White Sox. And they played their entire careers for those teams. I don't know why playing for the White Sox will inhibit Frank Thomas--the greatest hitter from our generation (who didn't use steriods)--from getting into the hall of fame on his first ballot.

Fenway
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM

We DON'T need another circus

gosox41
05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
WBZ-TV in Boston is reporting that the Red Sox are close to signing Frank Thomas to a contract at AAA Pawtucket for a look see as they are getting convinced David Ortiz may well be at the end of the road.

If this happens, it puts me in a dilly of a pickle (as Ned would say). I hate Red Sox Nation etc, but love Frank. If our Sox continue to suck they will be the #2 team I follow as hard as it is.

Bob

LongLiveFisk
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM

See, I've always found this to be bull****. If the position exists in MLB, then it should be acknowledged just as other positions are. Otherwise don't have it.

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
See, I've always found this to be bull****. If the position exists in MLB, then it should be acknowledged just as other positions are. Otherwise don't have it.

I think it's BS, too. But most sportswriters seem to be mad that the American League instituted the rule without consulting them.

oeo
05-19-2009, 02:31 AM
What are the chances the Red Sox come calling for a certain current White Sox DH?

Now there's an idea I can agree with. Thome looks just as done as Papi.

Guess I should have read the thread first. If it 'looks' that way to you, then you're blind.

balke
05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
What are the chances the Red Sox come calling for a certain current White Sox DH?

Pretty darn low. take on a large portion of 13 million for a lefty DH who's hitting below .250 lately when you have a guy who might bounce back already, or trade for a young guy like Gamel Milwaukee's got.

soxfanreggie
05-19-2009, 11:58 AM
While I would seriously entertain any decent offer for Thome, why get him unless the Sox throw in a lot of money? You can try Frank for cheap and then make a move to get someone like Thome if the Hurt doesn't work.

Coolpapa
05-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I was hoping Frank was our next Hitting Coach:D:

Noneck
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
They will need left handed power, Bonds would be a great fit for most for the Blosox fans. Same attitude.

ode to veeck
05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
If Frank replaces Papi and with Manny in SMellA are these the new unjuiced RedSox?

cws05champ
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm sure that if he were to help the Red Sox win the World Series we'd hear Joe Buck say: "It's nice to see Frank Thomas get his 1st World Series ring". Just like So Taguchi (in 2006 w/ Cards), is the "1st Japanese born player to win a world series". :scratch:

oeo
05-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Pretty darn low. take on a large portion of 13 million for a lefty DH who's hitting below .250 lately when you have a guy who might bounce back already, or trade for a young guy like Gamel Milwaukee's got.

First, the Red Sox would not be paying $13 million. By the time any trade would happen, it would be about half that, and after that they're off the hook. Second, even if they were, since when do the Red Sox care? Thome has his OPS up to ~.900 now, which is better than they got from Ortiz last year. Thome fills in perfectly for what they've been missing from Ortiz this year.

Where did this trade with Milwaukee come from?

jabrch
05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
While I would seriously entertain any decent offer for Thome, why get him unless the Sox throw in a lot of money? You can try Frank for cheap and then make a move to get someone like Thome if the Hurt doesn't work.

Because Thome is .252/.379/.515 while Frank hit .240/.349/.374 last season and very likely is not in game shape - even the shape he was in last season.

1994 Frank Thomas would be awesome. 2009 Frank Thomas would not.

Despite all the whining about Thome, he is hitting fairly well right now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
1994 Frank Thomas would be awesome. 2009 Frank Thomas would not.

Projected over a full season, Frank's 1994 season would have been one of the greatest individual seasons in MLB history. Even if you just project it to 153 games - the number he played in 1993 -, it's 51 homers, 46 doubles, 136 RBI, 143 runs, 147 walks, 394 total bases. "Awesome" doesn't do it justice.

jabrch
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Projected over a full season, Frank's 1994 season would have been one of the greatest individual seasons in MLB history. Even if you just project it to 153 games - the number he played in 1993 -, it's 51 homers, 46 doubles, 136 RBI, 143 runs, 147 walks, 394 total bases. "Awesome" doesn't do it justice.

you choose the word to describe it... Either way, the question at hand is why would Boston want Thome over Frank, and the answer is, 1994 is long gone and forgotten. In 2009, it is an easy decision - Thome has a much greater chance of being an effective DH than does Big Hurt.

A. Cavatica
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
You honestly think he'll get in?

First ballot.

If he comes back and sucks and his career average drops under .300, it might delay his induction a few years.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM

Only swinging a bat doesn't fit my description of a HOF. He might get in. One of the best hitter's I've seen in my lifetime.

You could take all of the Jake Peavy's but I'll take a Big Hurt in his prime.

There's a lot of good arguments for putting him in. Great two strike hitter, team preferred not to pitch to him if possible.

Spending a lot of time at DH and staying healthy are what can go against him.