PDA

View Full Version : We are horrible at holding runners on base

sunofgold
05-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I haven't heard this mentioned too much. We have only thrown out 2 runners trying to steal all season.

AJ doesn't have the strongest arm, but he doesn't even has a chance. Our pitchers don't do enough to deter basestealing. Toronto really doesn't steal too many bases, but they surely are running on us.

It isn't just this year. It seems like every year. Hasn't this ever been addressed during spring training?

Noneck
05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
I haven't heard this mentioned too much. We have only thrown out 2 runners trying to steal all season.

AJ doesn't have the strongest arm, but he doesn't even has a chance. Our pitchers don't do enough to deter basestealing. Toronto really doesn't steal too many bases, but they surely are running on us.

It isn't just this year. It seems like every year. Hasn't this ever been addressed during spring training?

Its been a pet peeve of mine for years. From sweaty Freddie on. Everyone loves to jump on Walker, why not on Cooper for this then?

nasox
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Other teams do this too. The Red Sox come to mind. It is annoying, but in the end, you have to get the guy out at home plate.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I haven't heard this mentioned too much. We have only thrown out 2 runners trying to steal all season. Do you watch the games? I watch on MLB Extra Innings package, so sometimes I get Hawk and Stone, sometimes the other teams' feed. I think I've heard Sox announcers and other teams' announcers talk about this in just about every game.

lukeman89
05-18-2009, 01:04 AM
i feel bad for AJ because the cs% catchers relies largely on how well they can hold runners on. AJ would throw more runners out if he was at least given a chance on some of them.

4 points
05-18-2009, 04:22 AM
i feel bad for AJ because the cs% catchers relies largely on how well they can hold runners on. AJ would throw more runners out if he was at least given a chance on some of them.

:scratch: AJ couldn`t throw out the Aflac duck with glue traps on his webbed feet.:mad:

dickallen15
05-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Its been a pet peeve of mine for years. From sweaty Freddie on. Everyone loves to jump on Walker, why not on Cooper for this then?

It really is amazing Walker gets ripped for some of the things he gets ripped for, but if pitchers fail, it has nothing to do with Cooper. All message boards are very inconsistent with their Walker/Cooper arguments.

angiew
05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
:scratch: AJ couldn`t throw out the Aflac duck with glue traps on his webbed feet.:mad:

That's too funny:roflmao: IMO it's a combination of both AJ's arm and the pitchers. Either way, it's REALLY bad and just plain embarrassing.

CashMan
05-18-2009, 08:44 AM

I love that duck.

thedudeabides
05-18-2009, 09:15 AM

A lot of this goes on AJ, as well. His release is slow, his arm is innacurate, and weak.

Danks hasn't been good at holding runners on this season, but in the past he has been OK. Beuhrle is good, as is Bartolo. Richard also isn't bad. Gavin and Jose are horrible. Honestly, it's time people stop putting this comletely on the pitchers. AJ just cannot throw runners out. It's at about a 5% clip this year. There has been botched hit and runs I've seen and AJ still can't throw a runner out. He is becoming a liability.

If our pitchers are also just forgetting about runners, than the dugout and catchers need to start calling pick offs. If for no other reason to show we are paying attention to them.

This needs to be addressed, as are pitchers are in a real bad spot later in games.

pythons007
05-18-2009, 09:19 AM
This isn't new. Its been like this before the Sox won the World Series.

thedudeabides
05-18-2009, 09:53 AM
This isn't new. Its been like this before the Sox won the World Series.

It was not nearly this bad in 2005. There were 79 stolen bases against AJ in 2005, with 23 caught stealing. It has been getting worse every year since then. This year there has been 28 stolen basis against AJ already, with 2 caught stealing. I know at least 1 of those was a pickoff. I know some of it is on the pitching staff, but a lot is on AJ.

bhayes520
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Hawk does bring this up just about every game...usually after the steal a bag on us.

sunofgold
05-18-2009, 10:18 AM
But haven't seen it talked about on this board. Just one more thing to complain about. haha!

But, when was the last time we had a pitchout. Guess you only can do that when you trust the pitcher to throw strikes. And what is wrong about making a pickoff move once in awhile? haha!

If I am the opposing team, I would be running all of the time. Why not? Until it is shown that the White Sox can throw out a baserunner.

Jenks4Prez
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Was there anything more pathetic than Corky Miller hitting Scutaro in the stomach with his throw yesterday? HA!!! Fields didn't even bother to cover the base!?

This team is god awful.

Law11
05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
It really is amazing Walker gets ripped for some of the things he gets ripped for, but if pitchers fail, it has nothing to do with Cooper. All message boards are very inconsistent with their Walker/Cooper arguments.

I think a lot of that is because Coop comes off as a beer swilling guy next door who you joke with. Walk is that tough cowboy type who just rolls with the punches.

Woofer
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
It seems to me that a lot of AJ's throws are off the mark. His throws are to the shortstop side of second base quite often. Or high. You can't get any calls if the throw isn't on target.

Foulke You
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd like to see what AJ's throwing % was when he was with the Twins and Giants compared to his Sox numbers. I don't think AJ has a very strong arm, but I'm willing to bet his numbers were better when he didn't have to catch guys like Contreras and Floyd who can't hold a runner to save their lives. Even if we still had a cannon arm like Olivo, I'm not sure it would be enough with some of the jumps these guys are getting on our pitchers.:(:

thedudeabides
05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd like to see what AJ's throwing % was when he was with the Twins and Giants compared to his Sox numbers. I don't think AJ has a very strong arm, but I'm willing to bet his numbers were better when he didn't have to catch guys like Contreras and Floyd who can't hold a runner to save their lives. Even if we still had a cannon arm like Olivo, I'm not sure it would be enough with some of the jumps these guys are getting on our pitchers.:(:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/P/A.J.-Pierzynski.shtml

There is no doubt some of it is the pitchers, but he just can't throw a lick anymore. It's really a combination of both. He gets run on now even with guys who can hold a runner.

doublem23
05-18-2009, 11:09 AM
But haven't seen it talked about on this board. Just one more thing to complain about. haha!

We talk about this almost every other day.

kitekrazy
05-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Do you think AJ could throw out Konerko?

This is one position in the majors where there is a lack of quality compared to 2 or 3 decades ago.

I hard to find any that call a good game, throw out runners and have a decent bat.

Foulke You
05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Do you think AJ could throw out Konerko?

This is one position in the majors where there is a lack of quality compared to 2 or 3 decades ago.

I hard to find any that call a good game, throw out runners and have a decent bat.
You're right about that. There just aren't many great catchers in the game recently. Joe Mauer is probably the best but there aren't too many like him in the game right now.