PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Cub Fan Throws Back Pudge's 300 HR!

Red Barchetta
05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Idiot! Probably wasn't even paying attention to the game/stats. They announced Pudge Rodriguez was sitting on 299! :rolleyes:

He could have at least exchanged it for a signed ball/bat.

Amazing that the Shrine does not enforce the "no objects should be thrown on the field" policy.

Back to the slaughter in Toronto...:mad:

Daver
05-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Pudge retired a long time ago.

ChiSoxFan81
05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
What are they supposed to do when a wayward ball interrupts their frat party?

SoxGirl4Life
05-17-2009, 02:42 PM
lmao.. that's hilarious

TDog
05-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Indeed. I thought this was part of the complaints from Chicago baseball series.

I'm sure this new Pudge, whoever he may be, appreciated the gesture. Maybe that will inspire him to hit more home runs into the bleachers.

VenturaFan23
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey, Cub fans are passionate. Chris Berman said so!

october23sp
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
What are they supposed to do when a wayward ball interrupts their frat party?
POTW nominee.

WhiteSox1989
05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Just stupid.

BleacherBandit
05-17-2009, 04:37 PM
That's karma for you.

MarySwiss
05-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Indeed. I thought this was part of the complaints from Chicago baseball series. I'm sure this new Pudge, whoever he may be, appreciated the gesture. Maybe that will inspire him to hit more home runs into the bleachers.

Nicely done, guys! In my book--and probably most Sox fans'--calling this guy Pudge ranks right up there with calling the team from Boston the Sox.

Not even close. :smile:

scarsofthumper
05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I would have thrown it back too.

RadioheadRocks
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM
:dumbass:

TDog
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I would have thrown it back too.

Maybe Wrigley Field officials should start requiring fans to hand the balls to ushers. They should do that with foul balls, too.

Fans who don't give them to ushers or keep the balls hit out of play (or give them to kids), should be ejected. Such psychology would seem necessary to get Wrigley Field patrons to cease this idiotic "tradition."

Throwing things on the field, of course, is a crime, at least in California where such a law is enforced.

SOXSINCE'70
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Pudge Rodriguez was sitting on 299! :rolleyes:

:pudge

This is "Pudge".He will always be "Pudge",
if you were a White (or Red) Sox fan when he played.
This Rodriguez guy WILL NEVER BE "PUDGE".
(At least not in my eyes).

Thank you.

areilly
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't want to give too much credit to the type of person who hangs out at Wrigley Field, but has it occurred to anyone else here that maybe - just maybe - said fan was actually making some kind of statement?

Not saying that's the case, but you never know.

ChiSoxFan81
05-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't want to give too much credit to the type of person who hangs out at Wrigley Field, but has it occurred to anyone else here that maybe - just maybe - said fan was actually making some kind of statement?

Not saying that's the case, but you never know.

A statement? Like what? "IRod just spilled my beer! What an *******! Here, I'll show him by breaking the rules stated on my ticket!"

cnw8052
05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Another aspect about these idiots throwing the ball back is this. You're throwing a ball back that was in the hands of your own players. The guy who hit the ball never touched it, only with his bat.

If I was lucky enough to catch a homerun ball by the opposing team, it would be cool knowing that {insert player here} had just thrown the ball.

Just another way of looking at it IMO

DumpJerry
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Another aspect about these idiots throwing the ball back is this. You're throwing a ball back that was in the hands of your own players. The guy who hit the ball never touched it, only with his bat.

If I was lucky enough to catch a homerun ball by the opposing team, it would be cool knowing that {insert player here} had just thrown the ball.

Just another way of looking at it IMO
A couple of years ago I caught a foul ball from Sarge, Jr. I was telling people that the last person who touched it before me was Mark Buehrle.

spawn
05-17-2009, 08:56 PM
A statement? Like what? "IRod just spilled my beer! What an *******! Here, I'll show him by breaking the rules stated on my ticket!"
That IRod may have juiced, and the 300 HR ball is as legitimate as Barry Bonds' homerun breaking Hank Aaron's record. That's a statement that comes immediately to my mind.

kittle42
05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
That IRod may have juiced, and the 300 HR ball is as legitimate as Barry Bond's homerun breaking Hank Aaron's record. That's a statement that comes immediately to my mind.

Hate to do it, spawn, but Barry Bond is also my favorite baseball player.

TDog
05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
That IRod may have juiced, and the 300 HR ball is as legitimate as Barry Bond's homerun breaking Hank Aaron's record. That's a statement that comes immediately to my mind.

The "statement" attributed to Cubs fans who throw home runs back is, "We don't care about your home runs."

To make a statement that the achievement of Ivan Rodriguez (excuse my formality, but "IRod" is too cute and affectionate for me to repeat in referring to Rodriguez), is illegitimate can't be argued unless fans refrain from throwing back home runs hit by players above reproach.

Short the person throwing it being miked and screaming "sic semper tyrannus" or something similar over the public address system, you have no reason to attribute any statement about the legitimacy of a Rodriguez milestone to the routine, unoriginal and foolish action taken today in the Wrigley Field bleachers.

nasox
05-17-2009, 11:27 PM

I personally like Gold Bond better.

1908<2005
05-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't know Pudge hit his 300th home run until just now. I'm pretty sure the guy who threw it back had no clue as well. Plus Pudge is probably a roider so who cares.

chisox616
05-18-2009, 01:43 AM
I didn't know Pudge hit his 300th home run until just now. I'm pretty sure the guy who threw it back had no clue as well. Plus Pudge is probably a roider so who cares.

Well. Even if it was a home run ball hit by any other guy, that person is never gonna see another one again. Why throw it back? This is the worst tradition ever, there was probably a ****ing kid sitting near by that would've loved it.

Bah, I dunno who I'm even complaining to.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Well. Even if it was a home run ball hit by any other guy, that person is never gonna see another one again. Why throw it back? This is the worst tradition ever, there was probably a ****ing kid sitting near by that would've loved it.But I suspect that, if you handed it to a kid at Wrigley, that kid would immediately stand up and fire the ball back onto the field, and then bask in the applause he'd receive.

RadioheadRocks
05-18-2009, 02:53 AM
But I suspect that, if you handed it to a kid at Wrigley, that kid would immediately stand up and fire the ball back onto the field, and then bask in the applause he'd receive.

Exactly, because applause from a bunch of drunken idiots is Forever!!! :rolleyes:

spawn
05-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Damn...:redface:

Red Barchetta
05-18-2009, 07:17 AM

Roids or no roids, the guy will probably make the HOF and this is a milestone HR. They displayed the stat of 299 HRs on the LED board during his at bats so it's hard to believe this guy who caught the ball didn't see the stat or know the significance of the HR.

Also, if you saw the replay, you could see the other fans encouraging him to throw it back.

I can't say I'm a Ivan "Pudge" (oops, sorry I didn't know Carlton Fisk had the copyright on the nickname) Rodriguez fan, however it's still a baseball milestone and something worth holding on to or at least exchanging for an autograph.

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
But I suspect that, if you handed it to a kid at Wrigley, that kid would immediately stand up and fire the ball back onto the field, and then bask in the applause he'd receive.

Exactly.

Oblong
05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
The guy was too busy trying to get the wave started to notice who hit it.

Rodriguez needs the ball so he can have it implanted on his 9 foot statue of himself at his Miami mansion.

areilly
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Short the person throwing it being miked and screaming "sic semper tyrannus" or something similar over the public address system, you have no reason to attribute any statement about the legitimacy of a Rodriguez milestone to the routine, unoriginal and foolish action taken today in the Wrigley Field bleachers.

In that case, I apologize if my quasi-optimistic thinking offended your sensibilities.

Damn.

:rolleyes:

kittle42
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
In that case, I apologize if my quasi-optimistic thinking offended your sensibilities.

Damn.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, man, gotta agree with TDog...the very safe assumption is that the ball was thrown back because that's what people do. I'd make that same assumption in any stadium, but particularly in the ****hole where the "tradition" started.

Iwritecode
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
They displayed the stat of 299 HRs on the LED board during his at bats so it's hard to believe this guy who caught the ball didn't see the stat or know the significance of the HR.

That's making a huge assumption that 1) Cubs fans even realize that the LED board exists and 2) they actually look at it.

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Sorry, man, gotta agree with TDog...the very safe assumption is that the ball was thrown back because that's what people do. I'd make that same assumption in any stadium, but particularly in the ****hole where the "tradition" started.
Seconded. The idea that the ball was thrown back as some sort of steroid "protest" is utterly absurd.

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Seconded. The idea that the ball was thrown back as some sort of steroid &quot;protest&quot; is utterly absurd.

Especially considering they cheered Sammy Sosa through the 'roid years. When did they throw one of his HRs back?

Vestigio
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

How many kids actually sit in the Wrigley bleachers? I would assume not many with all that goes on in those seats.

kittle42
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
How many kids actually sit in the Wrigley bleachers? I would assume not many with all that goes on in those seats.

You'd be surprised, especially at weekend games. There are quite a few.

Red Barchetta
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
That's making a huge assumption that 1) Cubs fans even realize that the LED board exists and 2) they actually look at it.

You're right. My bad in making the assumption that they guy was actually paying attention to the game...:rolleyes:

TDog
05-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Some years ago, I was watching a White Sox-Twins game from the Metrodome on television. Someone hit a ball foul, the ball retriever down the firstbase line collected it and handed it to a small kid sitting in the first row. The kid immediately threw the ball onto the field. Because the kid was so young, the ball didn't go far. It was corralled and handed to the kids mother. Before the camera left them, the mother was shown talking to the little boy.

Unfortunately, it's the Wriglification of America, where little kids who watch the Cubs on television grow up thinking throwing the ball back is part of the game.

I don't know if WGN still makes a big deal about showing people throwing home runs back because I haven't had an opportunity to see a WGN game in about 10 years. But, really, they shouldn't show fans throwing the balls back on the field and announcers really shouldn't mention that it has been done, except to explain that the crowd cheer is for some village idiot.

As for Ivan Rodriguez, I'm guessing he will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, something Carlton Fisk was not. I'm sure that will be painful for a lot of White Sox and Red Sox fans.

spawn
05-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Especially considering they cheered Sammy Sosa through the 'roid years. When did they throw one of his HRs back?

Seconded. The idea that the ball was thrown back as some sort of steroid "protest" is utterly absurd.

For the record, I don't believe Rodriguez being linked to PED's was the reason the 300 HR ball was thrown back. It's just what they do in Wrigley. However, the idea that someone threw it back as a protest ageinst IRod isn't out of the realm of possibility, nor is it utterly absurd. Despite what most on this board believe, there are actually intelligent Cubs fans that attend their games. I know qiute a few of them personally.

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
For the record, I don't believe Rodriguez being linked to PED's was the reason the 300 HR ball was thrown back. It's just what they do in Wrigley. However, the idea that someone threw it back as a protest ageinst IRod isn't out of the realm of possibility, nor is it utterly absurd. Despite what most on this board believe, there are actually intelligent Cubs fans that attend their games. I know qiute a few of them personally.

While that may be the case, no "intelligent" person would throw a ball, or anything for that matter, onto the field of play.

Iwritecode
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Despite what most on this board believe, there are actually intelligent Cubs fans that attend their games. I know qiute a few of them personally.

Sadly, they are never the ones who catch the homerun balls.

spawn
05-18-2009, 02:48 PM
While that may be the case, no "intelligent" person would throw a ball, or anything for that matter, onto the field of play.
Why not? Intelligent people do stupid things too.

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Why not? Intelligent people do stupid things too.

Not to worry. The thread title clearly idicated it was an idiot Cubs fan.:redneck

doublem23
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
You guys obviously did not see the footage of the guy throwing the ball back. No protest. Just a tool.

spawn
05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
You guys obviously did not see the footage of the guy throwing the ball back. No protest. Just a tool.
As I said earlier, I don't believe it was a protest. It's typical Wrigley.

kittle42
05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Per Comcast Sports New this a.m., the dude tried calling the Cubs afterwards to request some payment, I would presume for being kind enough to throw the ball back, though his intent wasn't to give it to Rodriguez.

If that's true, he's even more of an imbecile.

TDog
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Per Comcast Sports New this a.m., the dude tried calling the Cubs afterwards to request some payment, I would presume for being kind enough to throw the ball back, though his intent wasn't to give it to Rodriguez.

Does he have a receipt?

doublem23
05-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Damn it, I would have loved to have fielded that call.

SoxGirl4Life
05-18-2009, 04:46 PM

I can hear it now.. "Oh crap! That might be worth something!" Although, probably only to Rodriguez

TommyJohn
05-18-2009, 04:51 PM

I love it when someone does something brainless, then realizes what an idiot he was. Although depending on the tone of his call, he's either an imbecile or just a jerk.

Johnny Mostil
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I can hear it now.. "Oh crap! That might be worth something!" Although, probably only to Rodriguez

If your appraisal of the value of the ball is accurate--and I think it may be--then is this really anything but garden-variety Wrigley stupidity?

Does anybody recall when this charming tradition started? Am I correct in recalling it was the '84 season, or was it later? I ask because I may have once seen a Wrigley fan decide to keep a homerun ball of comparable worth, but it's been more than twenty years now (and my memory may not be accurate over all that time).

LongLiveFisk
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I admit I didn't read through this whole thread and I'm sure I'm just rehashing something that has already been said, but I'll say it anyway. A good portion of those people can't even name the players on their own team, let alone realize a milestone of an opposing player. I'm sure whoever threw it back had no clue whatsoever its significance.

Red Barchetta
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I admit I didn't read through this whole thread and I'm sure I'm just rehashing something that has already been said, but I'll say it anyway. A good portion of those people can't even name the players on their own team, let alone realize a milestone of an opposing player. I'm sure whoever threw it back had no clue whatsoever its significance.

That was the point of my original post. Regardless if you think of him as "Pudge", or whether or not he did steroids, etc., the fact of the matter is that he will probably be a HOF player and that home run is a piece of MLB history.

Twenty years from now, you could pull that ball off your shelf and tell your children how you caught the 300 HR baseball by the Hall of Fame player___________(Fill in the blank).

Instead, you get to tell your children you were the idiot who threw the ball back after being encouraged to do so by a bunch of drunk bleacher bums. "Yeah, sure you caught it dad!" :whiner:

:D:

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2009, 01:00 AM

Like I said before, but it bears repeating...
:dumbass:

Johnny Mostil
05-19-2009, 07:37 AM
That was the point of my original post. Regardless if you think of him as "Pudge", or whether or not he did steroids, etc., the fact of the matter is that he will probably be a HOF player and that home run is a piece of MLB history.

Twenty years from now, you could pull that ball off your shelf and tell your children how you caught the 300 HR baseball by the Hall of Fame player___________(Fill in the blank).

Instead, you get to tell your children you were the idiot who threw the ball back after being encouraged to do so by a bunch of drunk bleacher bums. "Yeah, sure you caught it dad!" :whiner:

But what, really, is the difference between the 299th and the 301st?

To be clear, I largely agree with you (keep no balls, have no balls; keep the ball, throw back the Cub fan, etc.). And I'm sure I'd keep any HR ball I caught (or give it to a kid or something else appropriate).

I'm just not sure this is anything but garden-variety Wrigley stupidity. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Iwritecode
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM

I'm thinking he could have gotten a couple of signed balls and/or bats from Ivan in exchange for the ball.

FielderJones
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Does anybody recall when this charming tradition started? Am I correct in recalling it was the '84 season, or was it later?

It was much earlier. A ball is thrown back in the Bleacher Bums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher_Bums) play, written in 1977. I'm thinking the 1969 season, perhaps earlier still.

TommyJohn
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
It was much earlier. A ball is thrown back in the Bleacher Bums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher_Bums) play, written in 1977. I'm thinking the 1969 season, perhaps earlier still.

I was researching old Trib articles in the archives and saw a reference to throwing a home run ball back in a story from 1969.

Thread hijack: anybody who wants to read just how "charming" and "lovable" the Bleacher Bums were ought to read "Miracle Collapse." There are stories of just how rowdy and sometimes out-of-control they were. Example: One time Jim "Mudcat" Grant of the Cardinals was signing autographs in the visitor's bullpen when one of those lovable characters zinged a rubber ball at him that hit him in the side of the head. Grant went ballistic, grabbing baseballs and firing them in the direction of the lovable Bums. One witness who dodged a few of the bullets was Mike Murphy, who today would probably talk about the lovableness of it all.

Red Barchetta
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
But what, really, is the difference between the 299th and the 301st?

To be clear, I largely agree with you (keep no balls, have no balls; keep the ball, throw back the Cub fan, etc.). And I'm sure I'd keep any HR ball I caught (or give it to a kid or something else appropriate).

I'm just not sure this is anything but garden-variety Wrigley stupidity. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

You're not splitting hairs. The point is that the 300 HR is a "milestone" HR vs. 299 or 301 and the guy was not paying attention to the game, he did not know what was going on (even though this was the fourth inning and they had "299" on the LED board during both ABs and he got caught up in the "Wrigley Tradition".

Per an earlier post, I guess this guy after the fact, approached the Cubs in hoping to be "rewarded" for his generosity. Yeah right. He no doubt realized what a stupid thing he did after the fact. :rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Interesting. I asked because in '85 I went to a three-game series the Cubs had with the Reds. More precisely, I went to see Pete Rose tie Ty Cobb's career record for base hits.

Anyway, in the first game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198509060.shtml) of that series, Rose hit a HR. That ball didn't come back onto the field--I'm guessing (as I told a Cub-fan friend with whom I attended the game) because the fan who caught it realized it might be the last HR of Rose's career (which it was). I was surprised somebody in the bleachers was sober enough to realize that.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to compare the worth of that with this one, especially given that Rose wasn't known as a HR hitter. Maybe they're comparable but Wrigley fans have gotten stupider over the years? Or maybe they're not comparable at all. I haven't been to a game at Wrigley in at least 15 years, so I don't really have any basis for recent comparison.

Railsplitter
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
"Idiot Cub fan" Now, there's a redundancy if I ever heard one.

BigP50
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
if I caught a ball that was like a one in there career, i would make ridiculous demands to the player.

soxinem1
05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I remember in 1985 the guy who caught Pete Rose's last career HR held onto it despite his fellow 'fans' taunting him to toss it back. He knew he might have a valuable piece of history there.

This idiot is just that: A cub fan.