PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today at 1060 W Addison

Fenway
05-17-2009, 09:42 AM
A pitchers duel at Wrigley
PHIL 23
CUBS 22
NY TIMES looks back

Thirty Years Ago, Perfect Storm of Offense Formed at Wrigley ... (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/sports/baseball/17game.html?scp=3&sq=phillies&st=cse)

MeteorsSox4367
05-17-2009, 09:55 AM
When WGN re-ran the game over the following winter, one of the kids in my seventh-grade class bet another kid a week's worth of lunches and gave him the Cubs as the one genius thought the game was live - even though it was the middle of the winter.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Like a lot of posters on this board, I used to come home and turn on the Cub game on channel 9. This is one of three games I remember. The other two were the Mike Schmidt four homerun game, and the Pirates shutout when Rennie Stennet went 7-7. For some reason, I only remember the losses.

Fenway
05-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Interesting
Time of game 4:03
Attendance 14,952

Woofer
05-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I remember that this was a weekday game, because I must have gone to a friends house after school. That would have been the only way I would have seen the game, because I wouldn't have been watching from home. It actually seems longer than 30 years to me, time really flies.

SoxGirl4Life
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Interesting
Time of game 4:03
Attendance 14,952

Liars! Wrigley ALWAYS sells out!

SoxGirl4Life
05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Like a lot of posters on this board, I used to come home and turn on the Cub game on channel 9. This is one of three games I remember. The other two were the Mike Schmidt four homerun game, and the Pirates shutout when Rennie Stennet went 7-7. For some reason, I only remember the losses.

Yup, I used to watch the cubs after school too. But I don't remember any single game. Not one. Might be because my dad was constantly ripping the Cubs and asking me how I could watch that crap, but the only thing I remember is Dave Kingman hitting a homerun once.

Brian26
05-17-2009, 10:55 AM

You're four years older than me, but we grew up in the same era and have the same memories. I'd come home from school and watch Bozo at noon followed by the Cubs game at 1pm.

This 23-22 game is the first baseball game I have any definite recollection of. I know I saw games prior to this in '77 and '78, but this is the first game I really remember details about. I was so interested in the game that I downloaded it off iTunes over the winter when I saw it was available. I've meant to write a review of it but haven't had time. Listening to Brickhouse and Lou Boudreau do the commentary was like stepping into a time machine.

russ99
05-17-2009, 11:10 AM
I remember that game too, pretty crazy. That's the first time I ever liked Mike Schmidt. :D:

Most people don't know that in the late 70's & early 80's the Cubs were the worst team in the league. But everything's cyclical, so they'll go back to their rightful place soon enough.

This also reminds me, sadly, of how much the Sox missed out on kids watching their games when they went to all-cable.

voodoochile
05-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I remember this too. I didn't get to watch it because I was working as a tech on the school play (Alice in Wonderland - my sister got to play the Queen of Hearts - "Off with her head!") at an annual spring festival called the Rites of May (other Hyde Parkers will remember this too). My buddy comes up to me and asks me to guess the score before the play started. I figured it had to be high, so I guessed 16-15 or something. He laughed and told me the real score and my jaw just dropped. I remember this more because Schmidt hit the game winner in the 10th, but my memory is obviously fuzzy because I thought it was his only blast. I remember the story of Kingman hitting 3 and Schmidt hitting only one but it being the one that mattered - obviously my memory is fuzzy.

IIRC, Kingman's final blast landed on someone's back porch in a three flat walkup which does jibe with the story of it landing 3 houses down Kenmore.

Crazy day...

Edit: It was the following fall when I switched to the Sox - not because of this game, but because I knew the lovable losers would always bee losers and I didn't want to be a loser anymore...

slavko
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I remember that game too, pretty crazy. That's the first time I ever liked Mike Schmidt. :D:

Most people don't know that in the late 70's & early 80's the Cubs were the worst team in the league. But everything's cyclical, so they'll go back to their rightful place soon enough.

This also reminds me, sadly, of how much the Sox missed out on kids watching their games when they went to all-cable.

Well, they were never ALL cable and never played enough afternoon games on weekdays to matter to a school kid anyway. I vaguely remember a Sox game from really ancient times which topped this one for runs scored (IIRC).

voodoochile
05-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, they were never ALL cable and never played enough afternoon games on weekdays to matter to a school kid anyway. I vaguely remember a Sox game from really ancient times which topped this one for runs scored (IIRC).

According to the article, only one game since 1900 has topped that total score when (guess who) the flubbies beat the Phillies 26-23 at Wrigley in 1922...

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Can't forget that game, I worked evenings and always watched the lovable losers. Brickhouse's "Oh Brother" after another loss was classic.
Cubs always followed Bozo's Circus, one clown show after another.

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
According to the article, only one game since 1900 has topped that total score when (guess who) the flubbies beat the Phillies 26-23 at Wrigley in 1922...
Sox beat someone back in the 50s by a score of 29-6, maybe the KC As.
We also in one game against the As acored 11 runs in one inning on one hit.

C-Dawg
05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
When WGN re-ran the game over the following winter....

When they rebroadcast the game, I made an attempt to keep score. It was a VERY messy scorecard! Unfortunately I don't have those old scorecards anymore which is a shame since there were some old Sox ones in there too.

One game I attended in person, was a couple years earlier, the Reds vs. the Cubs at Wrigley Field. It too was a slugfest with the Cubs winning something like 16-15 or 15-14 in extra innings. Jack Brickhouse used that game as the "benchmark" slugfest for a couple years - until it was eclipsed by the Philly game. I remember him mentioning it several times during that game... "Brings back memories of that 16-15 game a couple years ago against the Reds..."

ChiSoxFan81
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Can't forget that game, I worked evenings and always watched the lovable losers. Brickhouse's "Oh Brother" after another loss was classic.

:rolling:

Fenway
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
he was busy running scoreboard that day

spawn
05-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow. I remember this game as well. Has it really been 30 years? I couldn't open the article. If I remember, Dave Kingman hit 3 homers and Mike Schmidt hit 2 homeruns, didn't he?

Fenway
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
try this link

Thirty Years Ago, Perfect Storm of Offense Formed at Wrigley ... (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/sports/baseball/17game.html?scp=3&sq=phillies&st=cse)

spawn
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
try this link

Yep, That worked!

DSpivack
05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
he was busy running scoreboard that day

Am I bad at math or are the Phillies missing one run on the innings board?

Brian26
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM

The 10th inning isn't shown.

voodoochile
05-18-2009, 11:40 PM

Manual scoreboard - only 9 slots and a total column. NL on the left, AL on the right. You aren't seeing the 10th inning solo shot by Schmidt recorded. IIRC, they used to start over, tearing out the earlier innings to make room for the extras if a game went on long enough, but in this case, there's no point to it since it ended in the 10th.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Sox beat someone back in the 50s by a score of 29-6, maybe the KC As.
We also in one game against the As acored 11 runs in one inning on one hit.

I'm pretty sure Jim Landis had the dubious distinction of making two of the three outs in that inning.

4 points
05-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Yeah, Schmidt hit the game winning homer off some relief pitcher who never amounted to anything. I think his name was Sutter, or something like that.:D:

Coolpapa
05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
You're four years older than me, but we grew up in the same era and have the same memories. I'd come home from school and watch Bozo at noon followed by the Cubs game at 1pm.

This 23-22 game is the first baseball game I have any definite recollection of. I know I saw games prior to this in '77 and '78, but this is the first game I really remember details about. I was so interested in the game that I downloaded it off iTunes over the winter when I saw it was available. I've meant to write a review of it but haven't had time. Listening to Brickhouse and Lou Boudreau do the commentary was like stepping into a time machine.
Ray Raynor dedicated much of his show the next morning to the "Highlights"

EastCoastSoxFan
06-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know if anyone can look this up, but I remember going to a Cubs game on an elementary school field trip around that time (1979 or so) that was a really low-scoring game (perhaps even 0-0) that went on for about 15 or 16 innings before being called by darkness.
Does anyone remember that game? I seem to remember it being against Cincinatti, but I'm not sure. It would be ironic if that occurred during the same season as the second highest-scoring combined game in baseball history...

Brian26
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't know if anyone can look this up, but I remember going to a Cubs game on an elementary school field trip around that time (1979 or so) that was a really low-scoring game (perhaps even 0-0) that went on for about 15 or 16 innings before being called by darkness.
Does anyone remember that game? I seem to remember it being against Cincinatti, but I'm not sure. It would be ironic if that occurred during the same season as the second highest-scoring combined game in baseball history...

That would be pretty easy to find using the game log sort feature on retrosheet.org

WSox597
06-06-2009, 06:58 AM

That might explain their uniforms. They do closely resemble Bozo's old costumes. :D:

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
I watched the last 4 innings on old channel 9 the day it happened, it was non-stop action

gaelhound
06-12-2009, 01:13 AM
When they rebroadcast the game, I made an attempt to keep score. It was a VERY messy scorecard! Unfortunately I don't have those old scorecards anymore which is a shame since there were some old Sox ones in there too.

One game I attended in person, was a couple years earlier, the Reds vs. the Cubs at Wrigley Field. It too was a slugfest with the Cubs winning something like 16-15 or 15-14 in extra innings. Jack Brickhouse used that game as the "benchmark" slugfest for a couple years - until it was eclipsed by the Philly game. I remember him mentioning it several times during that game... "Brings back memories of that 16-15 game a couple years ago against the Reds..."
An accqaintance of mine<since i have no friends that cheer for the cubs< has a huge collection of his scorecards from games attended. He had to buy a second scorecard and did show me this prizewinner and game ticket. A relly demented guy but an admirable feat of scoring a game