PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Bash 2009

ChiSoxGirl
05-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Did anyone get their invitation/tickets for this seemingly annual event yet? I'll be there, courtesy of one of my friends who is a season ticket holder and invited me to go with her. Her time slot is Friday, May 29 from 5-9p. I haven't seen the invitation, but I'm assuming there will be the same perks as in previous years- being allowed on the warning track, touring the visitor's clubhouse, access to the bullpens and dugouts, bottomless food & drink in the Bullpen Bar, etc.

Jim Shorts
05-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I wanna go...

SOXfnNlansing
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
This is my second year as a weekend ST holder and I never been invited by the WS:scratch:.

whtsox13
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I got my invite. Mine is Friday from 5:00pm-8:00pm. Tickets will be at will call.

Viva Medias B's
05-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I haven't gotten mine (as of this morning); looks like I'll be callin' my rep Monday morning.

soxfan21
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I haven't gotten mine (as of this morning); looks like I'll be callin' my rep Monday morning.

I'll be doing the same thing, no grinder bash info and still no media guide voucher.

DumpJerry
05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
They do two sets of Grinder Bashes. One now and one usually in July or August.

Media Guide vouchers usually come out in June or so.

grenda12
05-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I wanna go too.

Cuck the Fubs
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I've got nothing so far.....hopefully Monday!

chisoxfanatic
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I got my invite...Saturday from 11-2...I'll see if a friend wants to go (she's never been).

soxfan21
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Talked to my rep today, looks like I'll be at the July Grinder Bash. Also, media guide vouchers will be in the mail late this week and early next week if any one else wanted to know.

soxfan21
06-12-2009, 04:42 AM
Anyone else get the invite for the July 12th date? My timeslot is 11-2.

DumpJerry
06-12-2009, 06:42 AM
July 11th. 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

tebman
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
July 11, 11-2. We'll be there and taking notes. :cool:

Harry Potter
06-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Same here

SOXfnNlansing
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Anyone else get the invite for the July 12th date? My timeslot is 11-2.

That's when I'll be there also. I just got the email yesterday..

Cuck the Fubs
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM

:D: See ya there Dump! :D:

SSrep
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Could somebody explain how this event goes? My buddy just gave me a call and asked if I'd want to go (I'll be in from out of town)...he forwarded me the email and seems pretty cool.....access to the dugout, bullpen etc., all you can eat/drink...for free?

DumpJerry
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Could somebody explain how this event goes? My buddy just gave me a call and asked if I'd want to go (I'll be in from out of town)...he forwarded me the email and seems pretty cool.....access to the dugout, bullpen etc., all you can eat/drink...for free?
Yup. Walk around on the warning track, eat in The Patio.

ChiSoxGirl
06-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Yup. Walk around on the warning track, eat in The Patio.

You can also take a picture with the World Series trophy and a replica ring, can go into both bullpens, both dugouts, the Visitor's Clubhouse, and the Scout Seat Lounge.

Jerko
06-23-2009, 06:13 PM
They put all your names on the left field scoreboard too. it goes kinda fast but it would be cool to get a pic of your name on the board.

SOXfnNlansing
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm going Sunday. What else can you do? Is there a small number of fans that attend? Are they pretty stringent on what you can do? Has anyone seen people 'playing catch' in the bullpen or anything like that? Is it kind of boring to where you're on a tour? I've been to the 'Sox garage sale' before. I've been to the early batting practice. I know that I'd rather spend the most time I can in areas not normally accessible to fans than sit in the Patio and eat that "food". Just thought someone can give a more colorful picture of what to expect. Thanks.

Meixner007
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
There is no tour. Pretty much you're given free food and beer and can walk all around the areas mentioned. Quite a fun time.

DumpJerry
07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm going Sunday. What else can you do? Is there a small number of fans that attend? Are they pretty stringent on what you can do? Has anyone seen people 'playing catch' in the bullpen or anything like that? Is it kind of boring to where you're on a tour? I've been to the 'Sox garage sale' before. I've been to the early batting practice. I know that I'd rather spend the most time I can in areas not normally accessible to fans than sit in the Patio and eat that "food". Just thought someone can give a more colorful picture of what to expect. Thanks.
People play catch in the Bullpens. The only main restriction is you cannot, under any circumstances at all, touch the grass on the field. They have security on the field to make sure you don't do it and there might be snipers on the roof, too.

I'm in the 10:00 slot Saturday. I'll be wearing either my McDowell numbered jersey or my "Ozzie" numbered World Series home jersey.

soxfan21
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I'll be there Sunday in the 11:00 slot wearing my personalized alternate jersey, hope to see other WSIers there as well. Another question though, about how many people are in each time slot, 50, 100? Just want to know if it is really crowded or sort of empty, which would be nice.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2009, 05:38 AM
I called up my buddy and told him "I'm picking you up at 10am Sunday". That's all I said. He's going to be so surprised! I can't wait, he's such a fan. He has no idea what a grinder bash (I didn't know what it was last year either).

DumpJerry
07-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I'll be there Sunday in the 11:00 slot wearing my personalized alternate jersey, hope to see other WSIers there as well. Another question though, about how many people are in each time slot, 50, 100? Just want to know if it is really crowded or sort of empty, which would be nice.
Several hundred spread out over a large building.

dakuda
07-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I am supposed to be there Saturday as well. I do have one question:

Were tickets mailed and I accidentally threw them away, or is it will call?

All my login info for the ticket site is at home, while I am at work. Thanks.

fox23
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM

We received ours in the mail late last week.

Jerko
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Grinder bash earlier in the year was Will Call. Pick up at Gate 2, have ID's ready. FYI there was no admittance into Sox bullpen.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Mine came in a yellow envelope; the same kind that you get when ordering tickets through the mail.

DumpJerry
07-07-2009, 05:16 PM

All my login info for the ticket site is at home, while I am at work. Thanks.

They come in an envelope with the 333 W. 35th Street return address without the Sox name. Call your rep.

FYI there was no admittance into Sox bullpen.

That's new.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Hopefully someone here that is going Saturday can give an account afterwards to what can be expected.

Jerko
07-07-2009, 07:07 PM
They come in an envelope with the 333 W. 35th Street return address without the Sox name. Call your rep.

That's new.

yeah, i sat in there last year but in may it was cordoned off. :scratch:

dakuda
07-07-2009, 09:08 PM

I must've missed it. I called and they will have some in will call for me.

I am going to get the old man out of the house. He needs some social time with other people.

ChiSoxGirl
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Grinder bash earlier in the year was Will Call. Pick up at Gate 2, have ID's ready. FYI there was no admittance into Sox bullpen.

yeah, i sat in there last year but in may it was cordoned off. :scratch:

When I went at the end of May, the Sox bullpen was being re-sodded, so we couldn't go in there.

ewokpelts
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Grinder bash earlier in the year was Will Call. Pick up at Gate 2, have ID's ready. FYI there was no admittance into Sox bullpen.they were re-sodding the sox bullpen. that's why it was closed last time.

Jerko
07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
they were re-sodding the sox bullpen. that's why it was closed last time.

Now i feel ripped off.

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Did anyone go today and want to report on what activities are to be expected for tomorrow?

Viva Medias B's
07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Work would have prevented me from going this weeked, but I never got my invite!

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Work would have prevented me from going this weeked, but I never got my invite!
Check your My White Sox Account. It should be in your "Right of first refusal" section.

Cuck the Fubs
07-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Did anyone go today and want to report on what activities are to be expected for tomorrow?

We were there today.....both bullpens were open for "catch" I also saw a few folks playing catch on the warning track areas.

The big thrill was on the fan deck today, in addition to the trophy, they had a ring up there that you could "handle"...got a great shot of my oldest with the ring and the trophy...wearing that ring is something he's never going to forget!! Of course I got a shot of myself as well....

Picked up a couple of items today for the lad, and I twice had a Matt Thorton game used jersey in my hands but didn't pull the trigger..

As usual, we had a blast out there!

soxfan21
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM
We were there today.....both bullpens were open for "catch" I also saw a few folks playing catch on the warning track areas.

The big thrill was on the fan deck today, in addition to the trophy, they had a ring up there that you could "handle"...got a great shot of my oldest with the ring and the trophy...wearing that ring is something he's never going to forget!! Of course I got a shot of myself as well....

Picked up a couple of items today for the lad, and I twice had a Matt Thorton game used jersey in my hands but didn't pull the trigger..

Sounds like you had a great time, can't wait to go tomorrow now! It's going to be hard sleeping now tonite.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I saw a chick with a Thornton jersey on at Thursday's game a few rows in front of me. That's the first time I've ever seen someone with a Thornton jersey. I had to comment on it, because Thornton is my favorite guy in the bullpen.

You would've had a unique novelty if you decided to go with that!

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the update Cuck! I'm taking my buddy and he doesn't know where I'm taking him:bandance:

Cuck the Fubs
07-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I saw a chick with a Thornton jersey on at Thursday's game a few rows in front of me. That's the first time I've ever seen someone with a Thornton jersey. I had to comment on it, because Thornton is my favorite guy in the bullpen.

Mr. Thorton is my favorite pen guy as well....for numerous reasons...first he's lefty like me, secondly 97 frickin miles an hour!!!!

I wish I could get back there Sunday and buy the damn thing...they had the vest and full jersey...I really wanted to buy the vest.

Cuck the Fubs
07-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the update Cuck! I'm
taking my buddy and he doesn't know where I'm taking him:bandance:
Your buddy is in for a real treat!!!

ChiSoxGirl
07-12-2009, 01:11 AM

I did the same thing with an autographed game-worn Scott Podsednik jersey at the garage sale at SoxFest 2008... except I pulled the trigger. :wink: However, I toyed with the idea for about a half hour, and kept asking the friends I was with for advice on what to do. At the time, it was on sale because Pods wasn't on the team, so I actually got a heck of a deal when I look back. I really didn't know what to do, but considering WHOSE jersey it was, they convinced me to just spend the money and go for it. I'm glad I did.

A friend of mine who I go to Sox games with pretty frequently bought and frequently wears a game-worn Matt Thornton jersey at the garage sale at SoxFest last year.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 01:16 AM
I did the same thing with an autographed game-worn Scott Podsednik jersey at the garage sale at SoxFest 2008... except I pulled the trigger. :wink: However, I toyed with the idea for about a half hour, and kept asking the friends I was with for advice on what to do. At the time, it was on sale because Pods wasn't on the team, so I actually got a heck of a deal when I look back. I really didn't know what to do, but considering WHOSE jersey it was, they convinced me to just spend the money and go for it. I'm glad I did.
:o:

You actually thought twice before getting the Podsednik jersey? I'd thought you would've pushed everyone aside, grabbed it, headed home, and wore it to bed the first night. :wink:

ChiSoxGirl
07-12-2009, 01:22 AM
:o:

You actually thought twice before getting the Podsednik jersey? I'd thought you would've pushed everyone aside, grabbed it, headed home, and wore it to bed the first night. :wink:

Oh, I thought more than twice about it! It was more money than I planned on parting with on an item from SoxFest, but I just couldn't pass it up. And when I bought it, I never thought I'd see Scotty wearing the same jersey again. Fortunately, I came out ahead on the garage sale's "clearance" deal.

pdimas
07-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Good seein ya today brotha. Had a blast with the nephews. They had the Sox batting cages inside the dugout open for the little guys which was cool as well hope you guys had a chance to check it out. Also good to see a few other WSI guys there today like Dump. :gulp:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I do miss these events, which as a former ST holder I no longer qualify for in my own right. If any of my WSI friends ever has a spare ticket, last minute cancellation etc., it would be a kindness if you kept me in mind.

OK, importuning over.

At one of the first ones I attended -- it had a different name then -- I brought a friend who played catch on the field with his teenage son. I doubt either will ever forget the whole experience.

SOXfnNlansing
07-12-2009, 07:55 AM
I do miss these events, which as a former ST holder I no longer qualify for in my own right. If any of my WSI friends ever has a spare ticket, last minute cancellation etc., it would be a kindness if you kept me in mind.

OK, importuning over.

At one of the first ones I attended -- it had a different name then -- I brought a friend who played catch on the field with his teenage son. I doubt either will ever forget the whole experience.

FWIW, I see tickets available on another site's 'list' for pretty cheap. I'm kind of upset that I have 3 ST's and they only gave me 2 tickets.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
FWIW, I see tickets available on another site's 'list' for pretty cheap. I'm kind of upset that I have 3 ST's and they only gave me 2 tickets.

:o: :redface: I didn't know you could buy tickets to these events, in my faulty memory they were non-transferrable, or at least you had to be accompanied by the ST holder. Thanks for the tip, Lansing.

Brian26
07-12-2009, 10:08 AM
:o: :redface: I didn't know you could buy tickets to these events, in my faulty memory they were non-transferrable, or at least you had to be accompanied by the ST holder. Thanks for the tip, Lansing.

They have made an issue of this as recently as two years ago. Maybe some of the season ticket holders that have already attended can confirm if ID was required at the gate.

Cuck the Fubs
07-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Good seein ya today brotha. Had a blast with the nephews. They had the Sox batting cages inside the dugout open for the little guys which was cool as well hope you guys had a chance to check it out. Also good to see a few other WSI guys there today like Dump. :gulp:

Good to see you and your dad again as well....and I talked to my rep about the extra tickets...again thanks for the tip!

After reading about this whole jersey thing, I'm really kicking myself now...I should have just bought the damn thing!!!

Anyone knows what happens to the jeresys if they don't sell??? Think I could contact my rep about buying it after the fact?

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 11:43 AM
They have made an issue of this as recently as two years ago. Maybe some of the season ticket holders that have already attended can confirm if ID was required at the gate.
I've never been asked for ID. They just scan your tickets like they do at regular games, and you're free to go wherever you're allowed.

DumpJerry
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM

People can sell their own tickets.

They don't ask for ID. Even if they did, it would be meaningless since your name is not on the ticket. It is a standard Ticketmaster stock ticket. Even has a seat number on it!

I've never been asked for ID. They just scan your tickets like they do at regular games, and you're free to go wherever you're allowed.
Did not scan yesterday, just tore the ticket in half like the old days,

SOXfnNlansing
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Here's a few pics I took today. (http://photobucket.com/soxfnnlansing)

Saw Kittle and Carlos May signing autographs in Jim Beam club. It was a great experience. My arm is sore from playing catch. There were a lot of fans there. I'd say 400 or more. The line to get in wrapped around past the stadium club entrance.

soxfan21
07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Also had a blast today, and took many pictures that I will never forget!

It's Dankerific
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
My disappointment is that I've had my tickets for 3 years and never got to go to the bash. Never been able to make it back. Quite a few of my friends and family have though!

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
My disappointment is that I've had my tickets for 3 years and never got to go to the bash. Never been able to make it back. Quite a few of my friends and family have though!
How on earth are you a season ticket holder when you don't live near Chicago? Did you pull a deal with our beloved BA or something? :redneck

It's Dankerific
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
How on earth are you a season ticket holder when you don't live near Chicago? Did you pull a deal with our beloved BA or something? :redneck

Did the WS tickets for ST at the end of 2005. in 2006 put the playoff deposit, by 2007, someone was splitting, 2008 had the playoffs. this year (person dropped out) is a tough one. I don't know if I'll keep them next year.

twentywontowin
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Had an awesome time today. I picked up a game used Contreras home jersey from 2006, sleeveless, for $100.

DumpJerry
07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
There are hundreds of season ticket holders who live more than a day's drive from Chicago and never attend a game.

It's Dankerific
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
There are hundreds of season ticket holders who live more than a day's drive from Chicago and never attend a game.

If this holds up, this would be the first time I dont attend a game. I usually can make a series or two. But family obligations have eaten my disposable income this year.

DumpJerry
07-13-2009, 07:28 AM
If this holds up, this would be the first time I dont attend a game. I usually can make a series or two. But family obligations have eaten my disposable income this year.
The people I'm referring to are not White Sox fans. They are investors who buy season ticket packages and sell all the game on StubHub. I have seats all around me which are owned this way. I once asked the person next to me at a game in April last year how much he paid for his tickets on StubHub (the five seats to my right are almost always occupied by fans of the visiting team). The price he paid was below face. The owner makes up for the cold months/lousy opponent games with the "sexy" games and postseason.

Another ST holder I know tells me that the seats next to him are owned by someone in Texas who has never been to Chicago a day in his life.