PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Torres

Britt Burns
05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Righthanded starter Carlos Torres, a relatively unheralded prospect, pitched great-again-in Charlotte's first game of a DH tonight. His stat line was 6 IPs 2 H 1 R (earned) 2 BB 10 K. That gives him an 1.85 ERA on the season, and in 39 IPs he has allowed only 28 hits and 15 walks against 43 Ks-and no homers allowed. He threw pretty good last year between stops in B-ham and Charlotte, going 9-5 with a 3.42 ERA in 121 IPs with 40 BB 112K

In other words, I think he has earned a start or two with the Sox. I don't know if Torres' upside will ever be more than a 4th or 5th starter, but that certainly exceeds what we've seen from Richard and Broadway, and with the season going as it has what's the harm?

Even though Charlotte scored 0 runs in the two games--the Sox's hitting problems must extend all the way AAA--BA went 3-3 in the nightcap and hopefully we will see him back with the club soon and Lillibridge...not so much.

DirtySox
05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't have a problem giving him a shot. I don't think he is the solution but we don't have many other options. At worst he could be a bullpen piece.

JB98
05-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Whose spot would he take in the pen, though?

Relief pitching is the lone strength of the big-league club.

We need somebody who can start and give six quality innings. No idea whether Torres is that guy or not.

DirtySox
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm not advocating putting him in the bullpen at this point, I just don't see him as a reliable starter. He does deserve a shot due to the shortage of quality starters in our system though. I just think that if anything he would amount to a bullpen piece at sometime if needed.