PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose weighs in on steroids! Yay!

doublem23
05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow, Charlie Hustle is all over the place.

Believes taking steroids is worse than his crime (which he describes as betting on his team to win)
Believes Alex Rodriguez should be allowed in HOF
Still recognizes Barry Bonds as true HR King because you can't prove whether or not he did anything.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4166083

amsteel
05-14-2009, 03:42 PM
He must have a new book coming out, since that's the only time he ever seems to say something.

voodoochile
05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
So basically, every one of those sorry ass cheaters is worse than Pete and they still deserve to be in the HOF?

Hey Pete...

WHAT-EV-ER...:rolleyes:

****ing punk I hope they burn down the building before they let him in the HOF...

JohnTucker0814
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
So basically, every one of those sorry ass cheaters is worse than Pete and they still deserve to be in the HOF?

Hey Pete...

****ing punk I hope they burn down the building before they let him in the HOF...

There are probably worse character guys in the HOF currently, what Rose did while he played, the ALL-TIME HIT KING... he should be in the HOF! No questions! I don't care if he's an ass, he should be in the HOF!

voodoochile
05-14-2009, 04:01 PM
There are probably worse character guys in the HOF currently, what Rose did while he played, the ALL-TIME HIT KING... he should be in the HOF! No questions! I don't care if he's an ass, he should be in the HOF!

It has nothing to do with him being an ass. I don't care a rat's patoot whether he's a worse scumbag than Ty Cobb, Mike Tyson and OJ all rolled into one. I do care that he violated the game he claims to have loved in no uncertain terms. The minute he bet on baseball he crossed the line. The minute he bet on the team he was managing, he obliterated said line and spit on the spot where it used to be located.

**** Pete!

DSpivack
05-14-2009, 04:09 PM

It has nothing to do with him being an ass. I don't care a rat's patoot whether he's a worse scumbag than Ty Cobb, Mike Tyson and OJ all rolled into one. I do care that he violated the game he claims to have loved in no uncertain terms. The minute he bet on baseball he crossed the line. The minute he bet on the team he was managing, he obliterated said line and spit on the spot where it used to be located.

**** Pete!

I think he absolutely deserves to be in the Hall. However, I hope he's not elected while alive.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I think he absolutely deserves to be in the Hall. However, I hope he's not elected while alive.

Me, too.

Same with Shoeless Joe. He deserves it. It's a lifetime ban. The sentence has been served. What point is there in continuing to punish him?

TDog
05-14-2009, 04:36 PM

**** Pete!

Well put.

And it isn't like no one ever told Pete Rose the consequences of his actions.

I hope Pete Rose doesn't get into the Hall of Fame while I'm alive.

TDog
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Me, too.

Same with Shoeless Joe. He deserves it. It's a lifetime ban. The sentence has been served. What point is there in continuing to punish him?

It was a permanent ban.

Of course, Jackson's actions weren't as egregious as Rose's because there was no precedent set and it was common for baseball players to associate with gamblers without penalty. Many believe the 1918 World Series was fixed and baseball looked the other way.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
It was a permanent ban.

You're free to interpret it how you will, but Commissioner Landis' exact words were "banned for life," not "banned forever."

Shoeless Joe is dead. His banishment is over. He belongs in the Hall.

areilly
05-14-2009, 05:09 PM
You know what I really like about Pete Rose? His cards in the 1986 Topps set, retracing his entire professional career from Cincy to Philly and back via other baseball cards. It was like postmodern meta-narrative told through cardboard and sixteen-color ink:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/17/c2/40af_1.JPG

. . . except, you know, I was too young to think on that deep a level. But man, those were awesome.

TDog
05-14-2009, 05:17 PM
You're free to interpret it how you will, but Commissioner Landis' exact words were "banned for life," not "banned forever."

Officially, Rose's ban is a permanent ban.

And while a permanent ban is the (baseball) statutory punishment for betting on baseball, testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug will only get you a 50-day suspension under the current policies, which are stricter than they have ever previously been.

I would have no problem with Joe Jackson being admitted to the Hall of Fame.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Me, too.

I agree on both. Shoeless Joe in ASAP. Rose in after he dies.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Officially, Rose's ban is a permanent ban.

And while a permanent ban is the (baseball) statutory punishment for betting on baseball, testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug will only get you a 50-day suspension under the current policies, which are stricter than they have ever previously been.

I would have no problem with Joe Jackson being admitted to the Hall of Fame.

Maybe we're arguing the same thing, but ultimately, I feel Rose should be elected after he dies, and Shoeless Joe should be admitted.

TornLabrum
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Maybe Landis said "banned for life," but the list he was put on was titled "permanently ineligible."

Brian26
05-14-2009, 09:10 PM
You know what I really like about Pete Rose? His cards in the 1986 Topps set, retracing his entire professional career from Cincy to Philly and back via other baseball cards. It was like postmodern meta-narrative told through cardboard and sixteen-color ink:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/17/c2/40af_1.JPG

. . . except, you know, I was too young to think on that deep a level. But man, those were awesome.

Even better than that: On the back cover of one of the Topps Sticker Yearbook Albums (either the 1985 or 1986 version), they had a career synopsis for Rose and showed every one of his Topps cards in order from '63 to '86. I wish I still had that album, but it got tossed many years ago.

RKMeibalane
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Pete Rose should do everyone a favor and ****.

soxinem1
05-14-2009, 09:57 PM

**** Pete!

Exactly. This is posted in every locker room and that is that. This ******* deserves no exception to THE RULE.

Why should Rose get an exception? These people who say he should be in the HOF 'as a player' are insane.

Not to mention, his arrogance in denying it for almost two decades makes him even more repulsive. HE screwed himself, no one else is to blame but him.

NO PETE! NO PETE! NO PETE!

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Exactly. This is posted in every locker room and that is that. This ******* deserves no exception to THE RULE.

Why should Rose get an exception? These people who say he should be in the HOF 'as a player' are insane.

Not to mention, his arrogance in denying it for almost two decades makes him even more repulsive. HE screwed himself, no one else is to blame but him.

NO PETE! NO PETE! NO PETE!

Obviously as a human being Rose does not deserve to see/experience himself inducted.

But as a historical archive the HOF is incomplete without Pete Rose. It's like having a Hall of Fame of military leaders that leaves out Robert E. Lee because he fought for the Confederacy.

jabrch
05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I love Pete the ballplayer. I was a huge Rose fan growing up and I still am. The HOF is incomplete without him.

That said, he knew exactly what he was doing, did it, and then vehemently denied it. He showed no remorse and no regret until it was far too late. Pete Rose will pay for his failures for the remainder of his life, and for the eternity after that. I'm sad about it - always am - I wish Pete was in the HOF. But given what he was proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to have done is unforgivable.

voodoochile
05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Obviously as a human being Rose does not deserve to see/experience himself inducted.

But as a historical archive the HOF is incomplete without Pete Rose. It's like having a Hall of Fame of military leaders that leaves out Robert E. Lee because he fought for the Confederacy.

Never been there, but I am sure he is listed as the all-time hit leader in that display, so it's not like he's completely ignored. He's just banned from enshrinement personally as punishment for violating one of the most sacred rules in sports - thou shall not gamble on the sport you are being paid GOOD money to play.

EndemicSox
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Pete Rose should do everyone a favor and ****.
Agreed, Roger Clemens can join him...

Oblong
05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Pete Rose is scum and does not deserve enshrinement. He knew what the rules were, openly broke them, denied it, denied it, denied it, and ripped on Giammati, Vincent, etc. Until he had a book to sell. I don't care if he only bet on the team to win. Unless he bet every night then he made de facto bets on games he didn't bet on. It goes beyond just a character flaw like drugs, whoring, being racist, etc. It directly affects the integrity of the game. It was done between the lines as he was a manager. You cannot seperate the "as a player vs. as a manager". He did it as a participant. That'd be like honoring a cop who later became police chief and did shady things that gets cop banned. You still ban him even if he was an outstanding beat cop.

Just to be sure everyone understands some things (Some of these were already mentioned):

Rose is on the permanently ineligible list that MLB maintains. It's not "lifetime". It's permanent. And ineligible refers to baseball activities.

The HOF has said that anybody on baseball's permanently ineligible list is also not eligible for the HOF. They control whether he's on the ballot, not MLB.

The HOF and MLB are seperate institutions.

AZChiSoxFan
05-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Hey Pete...

Preach it Voodoo!

AZChiSoxFan
05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Pete Rose is scum and does not deserve enshrinement. He knew what the rules were, openly broke them, denied it, denied it, denied it, and ripped on Giammati, Vincent, etc. Until he had a book to sell. I don't care if he only bet on the team to win. Unless he bet every night then he made de facto bets on games he didn't bet on. It goes beyond just a character flaw like drugs, whoring, being racist, etc. It directly affects the integrity of the game. It was done between the lines as he was a manager. You cannot seperate the "as a player vs. as a manager". He did it as a participant. That'd be like honoring a cop who later became police chief and did shady things that gets cop banned. You still ban him even if he was an outstanding beat cop.

Just to be sure everyone understands some things (Some of these were already mentioned):

Rose is on the permanently ineligible list that MLB maintains. It's not "lifetime". It's permanent. And ineligible refers to baseball activities.

The HOF has said that anybody on baseball's permanently ineligible list is also not eligible for the HOF. They control whether he's on the ballot, not MLB.

Great post Oblong!!

TDog
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Strangely enough, Joe Jackson received Hall of Fame votes during his lifetime. He was never considered ineligible for the Hall of Fame, just undeserving by the requisite percentage of voters. Dickie Kerr, who received the same "lifetime ban" (he was clean during the 1919 World Series, winning his two starts, but he went to play in Mexico when Charles Comiskey refused his salary demands, and Landis couldn't have anyone challenging the reserve clause), and he received at least one vote for the Hall of Fame in his lifetime.

But, of course, I agree that Pete Rose shouldn't be enshrined.

Oblong
05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Strangely enough, Joe Jackson received Hall of Fame votes during his lifetime. He was never considered ineligible for the Hall of Fame, just undeserving by the requisite percentage of voters. Dickie Kerr, who received the same "lifetime ban" (he was clean during the 1919 World Series, winning his two starts, but he went to play in Mexico when Charles Comiskey refused his salary demands, and Landis couldn't have anyone challenging the reserve clause), and he received at least one vote for the Hall of Fame in his lifetime.

The HOF didn't make that rule until Rose's situation. It ticked off the BBWAA because they felt they did a good enough job on their own weeding them out and they also felt it took something away from their role in deciding who is in the HOF. I never bought the last argument because I see them as "guests" of the HOF. I can see their first point in a "Hey, don't you trust us?" kind of way.

AZChiSoxFan
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Never been there, but I am sure he is listed as the all-time hit leader in that display, so it's not like he's completely ignored.

You are correct. At the HOF there is a records room and he is listed first on the listing of players with the most hits.

TornLabrum
05-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Two points:

1) The ban of people on the permanently ineligible list being eligible for the HOF came about as a result of the Rose case. Hence the votes for Jackson.

2) Kerr was reinstated and even pitched a few games for the Sox after his reinstatement. Unfortunately for him, he'd lost it by then.

russ99
05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
It's funny to see the pot calling the kettle black.

It's widely known that Pete Rose broke the hit record while predominantly on uppers throughout his career. Which is now a banned performance enhancing drug.

So I guess he's saying what he did as a player is not worse than what he did when gambling as the Reds manager.

If the Hall acknowledges Rose's record somehow in a prominent way, I have no problem with that, but the man doesn't deserve the recognition. He's been a cheater from day one.

TDog
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Two points:

1) The ban of people on the permanently ineligible list being eligible for the HOF came about as a result of the Rose case. Hence the votes for Jackson.

2) Kerr was reinstated and even pitched a few games for the Sox after his reinstatement. Unfortunately for him, he'd lost it by then.

Your first point really is the point I was making. People seem to believe that Joe Jackson isn't in the Hall of Fame because he was ineligible. He isn't in the Hall of Fame because voters considered him unworthy because he disgraced baseball. And Pete Rose disgraced baseball. Pete Rose not being in the Hall of Fame is consistent with the principles of the Hall of Fame.

My point about Dickie Kerr was that Commissioner Landis was a mean, petty man. Off-topic, really.

kitekrazy
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM

**** Pete!

Excellent post. I was kinda in the let Pete in argument until I read this.