PDA

View Full Version : Could Nix play 3rd?

Harry Chappas
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
The Fields thread got me thinking about the future - so has this season, thus far...

Assuming Beckham comes up next year, would it make sense to move Alexei to CF, keep Beckham at SS, Getz at 2nd, and consider moving Nix to 3rd? Not to bag on Fields, but I don't think he's ever going to be good defensively. Uribe, for all of his flaws, saved us with some great defense while playing 3rd. Without him, I don't think we would have won the division. With Fields, we're seeing poor defense, a ton of Ks, and very little of the power.

Nix, on the other hand, has shown a good glove and surprising pop. We don't have much of a sample size to work with, but it has been said that he is one of the better fielders on the team. At 27, could the light be just turning on for him - offensively? At one point, he was a pretty high draft pick (44th) albeit 8 years ago.

Just spit ballin'

Craig Grebeck
05-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I've got no interest in Nix long term as anything more than a utility player.

As for third base, Adrian Beltre is a free agent after this season. Just saying.

Noneck
05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
For this year? Sure why not, Fields played left in 07. Its one of those years.

Next year? Hope not.

guillen4life13
05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Why would you want Adrian Beltre? He's been mediocre for the last 3 years and hasn't done anything spectacular since '05.

Craig Grebeck
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Why would you want Adrian Beltre? He's been mediocre for the last 3 years and hasn't done anything spectacular since '05.
Not true. Crede-esque defense and an OPS away from Safeco of:

2008: .862
2007: .858
2006: .805
2005: .736

If that kind of progression and production (combined with his glove) isn't spectacular, what is?

Eddo144
05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Not true. Crede-esque defense and an OPS away from Safeco of:

2008: .862
2007: .858
2006: .805
2005: .736

If that kind of progression and production (combined with his glove) isn't spectacular, what is?
Agreed. I was hoping the Sox would swing a trade for him this offseason.

Tragg
05-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Give the work to Fields. He actually COULD turn into a good player.

Shifting things around to accomodate utiility level talent is a good pathway to 75 wins with no player development.

Madvora
05-14-2009, 11:11 AM
I've got no interest in Nix long term as anything more than a utility player.
We have a guy in his second major league season that is currently playing well. What could you possibly have against that?

oeo
05-14-2009, 11:13 AM
We have a guy in his second major league season that is currently playing well. What could you possibly have against that?

He has some problem with Nix. I think it pisses him off that Nix actually looks really good at the plate right now. Whether that continues, we'll see, but he looks awfully confident and has shown a nice, short swing to this point.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
People judging again off an extremely limited sample size.

Nix has been fine. Maybe if Fields or Getz tanks, he'll get more playing time.

Harry Chappas
05-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Shifting things around to accomodate utiility level talent is a good pathway to 75 wins with no player development.

I guess that's what I was getting at. Is the book on Nix that he is, at best, a utility infielder? If so, based on what? He's only a year older than Getz and yet many here feel that Getz has a much higher ceiling.

California Sox
05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
This thread assumes Nix will hit, which I think he will as well. But if he is a good hitter, why play him at third when he is a spectacular second baseman? He's the best defender at his position we have on the team. That includes BA. Why play him where he is less competent and less comfortable? Move Getz instead.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Based on what, exactly?

oeo
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM
This thread assumes Nix will hit, which I think he will as well. But if he is a good hitter, why play him at third when he is a spectacular second baseman? He's the best defender at his position we have on the team. That includes BA. Why play him where he is less competent and less comfortable? Move Getz instead.

I'd much rather have Nix playing elsewhere than Getz.

Craig Grebeck
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
He has some problem with Nix. I think it pisses him off that Nix actually looks really good at the plate right now. Whether that continues, we'll see, but he looks awfully confident and has shown a nice, short swing to this point.
I giggled. That's an awfully small sample size to be making judgments. Like I've said all year, you can base your opinion off of the tiny sample size of spring training and his <50 AB in 2009, and I'll base mine off of the tons and tons of terrible statistics he's put up in his career.

It doesn't piss me off. I'm quite pleased. I'd love to be wrong, and I'd love for Nix to have some pixie dust that made him turn around his career in the most ludicrous and rarely-precedented fashion. I just don't believe in magic.

oeo
05-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I giggled. That's an awfully small sample size to be making judgments. Like I've said all year, you can base your opinion off of the tiny sample size of spring training and his <50 AB in 2009, and I'll base mine off of the tons and tons of terrible statistics he's put up in his career.

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen from him, and it's completely different from his track record. Tell me by watching him play that this is the guy you expected. He's shown a compact swing along with a great eye. Either he's just seeing the ball extremely well right now, or something clicked because this isn't the same guy that the statistics indicate.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen from him, and it's completely different from his track record. Tell me by watching him play that this is the guy you expected. He's shown a compact swing along with a great eye. Either he's just seeing the ball extremely well right now, or something clicked because this isn't the same guy that the statistics indicate.

He's played 7 games. Go look at stats from the end of the first week of the season across the majors and you'll see plenty of guys who were "clicking." I bet the grand majority of them aren't anymore.

oeo
05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
He's played 7 games. Go look at stats from the end of the first week of the season across the majors and you'll see plenty of guys who were "clicking." I bet the grand majority of them aren't anymore.

Once again, I'm not looking at the statistics. I'm basing my opinion off of watching him with my eyes. I think he can sustain his current success if he continues to do what he's doing.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Once again, I'm not looking at the statistics. I'm basing my opinion off of watching him with my eyes. I think he can sustain his current success if he continues to do what he's doing.

I bet you those guys' ABs looked pretty good at the time, too.

oeo
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I bet you those guys' ABs looked pretty good at the time, too.

Tell me you don't like what you've seen from him at the plate. Tell me you don't think he can continue to hit as long as he keeps that short stroke.

When you look at his track record, this is not the guy I envisioned. He's only 26, maybe something clicked.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Wait, so after Brandon Inge hit 4 HR the first week of the season, I shouldn't have invested in that T-shirt company making a line of "INGE - 92 HR SEASON" shirts?

I need to make a phone call.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Wait, so after Brandon Inge hit 4 HR the first week of the season, I shouldn't have invested in that T-shirt company making a line of "INGE - 92 HR SEASON" shirts?

I need to make a phone call.

You should have invested in them, if, while hitting those 4 HRs, he looked good at the plate. That would have meant something clicked.

oeo
05-14-2009, 01:50 PM
You should have invested in them, if, while hitting those 4 HRs, he looked good at the plate. That would have meant something clicked.

Funny, funny. I'm still waiting for you to add something worth a damn to the conversation. Other than your typical, "I'm indifferent, therefore I can't be wrong."

kittle42
05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Funny, funny. I'm still waiting for you to add something worth a damn to the conversation. Other than your typical, "I'm indifferent, therefore I can't be wrong."

I'm indifferent, therefore I can't be wrong.

oeo
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm indifferent, therefore I can't be wrong.

Exactly. Do you ever actually have an opinion on anything?

ChiSoxFan81
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Exactly. Do you ever actually have an opinion on anything?

Make a spelling error and find out.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Well aside from Nix's ability at the plate (which as of right now looks good, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall off the face of the earth either), does he have the arm to be a third baseman? I remember watching him play short in that game against Detroit it seemed like he was barely getting the ball over to first in order to beat out the likes of Miguel Cabrera. I don't think he has the arm to be a useful option at third for the rest of his career.

Illini Stripes
05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Topics like this come after a disappointing loss. Just saying.

oeo
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Make a spelling error and find out.

I'm talking baseball-wise. Most of his posts fall into a few categories: grammar correction, mocking (whether it's other posters, KW, whoever), and/or complete indifference on the topic at hand.

If you're going to mock me, at least form an opinion on the issue.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM

You're asking people to take a hard stance on who should play third, Josh Fields or Jayson Nix?

That's like asking someone to make a decision if they'd rather eat a plate of dog **** or cat ****... It's really just **** in the end.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm talking baseball-wise. Most of his posts fall into a few categories: grammar correction, mocking (whether it's other posters, KW, whoever), and/or complete indifference on the topic at hand.

You say you see great potential from him in 7 games because his approach looks great. I say that's too small a sample to get excited, regardless of how he looks in his approach. We both think (I believe) we should wait and see. Neither of us can be "right" until it all plays out, and both our sides have some merit.

Somewhere in there is an opinion.

#1swisher
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
The Fields thread got me thinking about the future - so has this season, thus far...

Assuming Beckham comes up next year, would it make sense to move Alexei to CF, keep Beckham at SS, Getz at 2nd, and consider moving Nix to 3rd? Not to bag on Fields, but I don't think he's ever going to be good defensively. Uribe, for all of his flaws, saved us with some great defense while playing 3rd. Without him, I don't think we would have won the division. With Fields, we're seeing poor defense, a ton of Ks, and very little of the power.

Nix, on the other hand, has shown a good glove and surprising pop. We don't have much of a sample size to work with, but it has been said that he is one of the better fielders on the team. At 27, could the light be just turning on for him - offensively? At one point, he was a pretty high draft pick (44th) albeit 8 years ago.

Just spit ballin'

Check May 15th starting lineup.

sunofgold
05-15-2009, 04:15 PM
If he continues to do well. At least, there is some competition in the infield. Fields, Ramirez, Nix, Getz (since he has struggled recently), all fighting for playing time. Should make them all better? You would think.

Gammons Peter
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
So now we know that Ozzie posts under the name of Harry Chappas

Tragg
05-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Based on what, exactly?
You're right - I just made that up. Fields isn't and never was a well regarded prospect. Very little talent.
Sox are much better off playing utility players and organizational minor leaguers, just like we did in 2007. And a utlility infielder at 3rd? Oh, that's brilliant. Who needs power - think of all of the runners he can move up!
2007's offense redux. That's all this is.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2009, 09:57 PM
You're right - I just made that up. Fields isn't and never was a well regarded prospect. Very little talent.
Sox are much better off playing utility players and organizational minor leaguers, just like we did in 2007. And a utlility infielder at 3rd? Oh, that's brilliant. Who needs power - think of all of the runners he can move up!
2007's offense redux. That's all this is.

Yea because Fields has just been mashing the ball of late. :rolleyes:

sunofgold
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Just curious. We have tried him now at 3B, SS , 2B. We are short an OF right now? How about OF?

DSpivack
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Just curious. We have tried him now at 3B, SS , 2B. We are short an OF right now? How about OF?

How about SP? That seems our biggest need.

JB98
05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I think the Sox should stick with Fields. Let him either succeed or fail. He's our best option at third right now, and now is as good a time as any to find out whether this guy is a long-term answer for anything.

DonnieDarko
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
I think the Sox should stick with Fields. Let him either succeed or fail. He's our best option at third right now, and now is as good a time as any to find out whether this guy is a long-term answer for anything.

He has to catch up to the damned fastball for that to happen. He's not "inbetween" or whatever, he's just playing like **** right now. At least that part Ozzie was right about: there are hitters striking out too much on this team.

Is it in his stance? His approach? Quentin I think has a mental block right now, or he isn't adjusting to the league again, but have confidence he will. But Fields? I can't begin to imagine what's wrong with him. Hate to say that he blows, but he really does right now.

I just pray that Lillibridge can be used as bait or can improve himself and THEN be used as trade bait. I dunno what else I like about this team thusfar, but offense is a problem, no doubt...either that, or we've just gotten so unlucky to be on the receiving end of an emergence of future Cy Young candidates or something. God.

JB98
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
He has to catch up to the damned fastball for that to happen. He's not "inbetween" or whatever, he's just playing like **** right now. At least that part Ozzie was right about: there are hitters striking out too much on this team.

Is it in his stance? His approach? Quentin I think has a mental block right now, or he isn't adjusting to the league again, but have confidence he will. But Fields? I can't begin to imagine what's wrong with him. Hate to say that he blows, but he really does right now.

I just pray that Lillibridge can be used as bait or can improve himself and THEN be used as trade bait. I dunno what else I like about this team thusfar, but offense is a problem, no doubt...either that, or we've just gotten so unlucky to be on the receiving end of an emergence of future Cy Young candidates or something. God.

I do not disagree that Fields is awful right now. But let's see if he can work himself out of it. Part of being a successful, everyday MLB player is being able to minimize slumps.

We'll find out a lot about Josh, one way or another, these next few weeks. Provided he gets an opportunity to play.

I like Nix's glove, but I don't see him being anything more than a utility guy/platoon player.

DonnieDarko
05-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Nix at 2B, though, doesn't sound too bad...if only in the short term. I wouldn't mind putting Beckham there next year, then retain Nix as a utility IF...assuming we trade Getz away.