PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld says Tiggers may RELEASE Magglio...

jabrch
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
How the mighty have fallen...

veeter
05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd love his bat, but he's a DH at this point.

dickallen15
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
The reason is the same as when Frank Thomas was released by Toronto. His $18 million option next season becomes vested with 135 starts or 540 plate appearances.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Get on the phone Kenny!!

2004!?!?!?!!

veeter
05-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Get on the phone Kenny!!

2004!?!?!?!!Would he take Betemit's role?

jabrch
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Just to be clear - I wouldn't want anything to do with Ordonez. I just think it is funny.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Just to be clear - I wouldn't want anything to do with Ordonez. I just think it is funny.

I doubt Ozzie does, either. :tongue:

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 01:56 PM
for the league minimum? why not.

oeo
05-13-2009, 02:00 PM
for the league minimum? why not.

1)Those bridges have already been burned.
2)Do we really want another old guy?
3)Canseco has named him as a juicer, so this year may be more than just a slow start.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
3)Canseco has named him as a juicer, so this year may be more than just a slow start.

We put worse out there, every night. So... :shrug:

oeo
05-13-2009, 02:03 PM
We put worse out there, every night. So... :shrug:

We do? Where? Are you going to put him in CF, or what? Maggs has been baaaaaad this year. He's slugging .304.

The grass isn't always greener. I'll take our current old guys over Maggs.

esbrechtel
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
wow....ha Maggs...

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
We do? Where? Are you going to put him in CF, or what? Maggs has been baaaaaad this year. He's slugging .304.

The grass isn't always greener. I'll take our current old guys over Maggs.

Should Betemit ever play the field? Can he hit better than Maggs?

oeo
05-13-2009, 02:09 PM

I'm sure Maggs would just be jumping at the opportunity to be a bench player for the White Sox.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm sure Maggs would just be jumping at the opportunity to be a bench player for the White Sox.

Thats not the question.

oeo
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Thats not the question.

Whether he's better than Betemit is irrelevant. Betemit is not a starter, he's a bench player, and Maggs isn't going to sit on the bench.

asindc
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Thats not the question.

It's true that you did not ask that question, but you should be asking that question. Just what role would you put him in if he did sign with the Sox?

kittle42
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Here's a guy who is most certainly not ending up back on this team.

beasly213
05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
OEO....MAGGGLIO would be the only thing I would enjoy if Maggs came back.

doublem23
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM

At this point in time? Yes.

cws05champ
05-13-2009, 02:46 PM
The reason is the same as when Frank Thomas was released by Toronto. His $18 million option next season becomes vested with 135 starts or 540 plate appearances.
A platoon w/ Thome against LHP may not be bad. He is hitting .281 aginst LHP, and .262 away from the god forsaken Comerica Park. A platoon would keep his PA down and give Thome some rest. I'm not saying we need another old slugger that is not hitting, but with 6 shutouts in 33 games...something has to be done soon.

thedudeabides
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Thats not the question.

And you didn't address any of the three valid points that OEO raised. Do you not remember how he left this organization? He's not coming back.

05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Put him in CF! :tongue:

russ99
05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
A platoon w/ Thome against LHP may not be bad. He is hitting .281 aginst LHP, and .262 away from the god forsaken Comerica Park. A platoon would keep his PA down and give Thome some rest. I'm not saying we need another old slugger that is not hitting, but with 6 shutouts in 33 games...something has to be done soon.

Agree, if the Sox could get him close to the minimum. And he would be further insurance against if Konerko, Dye or Quentin get hurt. Do we really want Lillibridge playing every day?

But he's burned giant bridges here, so I doubt that happens.

fusillirob1983
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Agree, if the Sox could get him close to the minimum. And he would be further insurance against if Konerko, Dye or Quentin get hurt. Do we really want Lillibridge playing every day?

But he's burned giant bridges here, so I doubt that happens.

I'm confused by today's date and the topic at hand.... is it May 13, 2009, or is it July 31, 2008.

Is the topic Magglio Ordonez or Ken Griffey Jr?

jabrch
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't get the anti-Betemit stance when it comes to his hitting. He's an adequate bat off the bench.

He can't field at all - but as a bat off the bench, if we were not counting on him to put the glove on so much due to injuries/failures, he's fine.

And I can't believe ANYONE seriously wants this guy back if they were a fan of this club when he left. It furthers my opinion that we have a lot of people here who just troll for the sake o arguing.

Craig Grebeck
05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't get the anti-Betemit stance when it comes to his hitting. He's an adequate bat off the bench.

He can't field at all - but as a bat off the bench, if we were not counting on him to put the glove on so much due to injuries/failures, he's fine.

And I can't believe ANYONE seriously wants this guy back if they were a fan of this club when he left. It furthers my opinion that we have a lot of people here who just troll for the sake o arguing.
Jabs, we've had so many injuries that we're giving ABs in the corner outfield spots to guys like Scott Podsednik. I was a fan then. I know about the bad blood, but we are so woebegone on the 25 man roster right now that there's no point in harboring a grudge.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Disagreeing with you does not = troll.

Ozzie cleared the air with Maggs. THAT should be good for any fan of this club when he left. Or perhaps, Ozzie is a troll?

doublem23
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Ozzie cleared the air with Maggs. THAT should be good for any fan of this club when he left. Or perhaps, Ozzie is a troll?

That doesn't, however, address the issue that Maggs now sucks.

munchman33
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Jabs, we've had so many injuries that we're giving ABs in the corner outfield spots to guys like Scott Podsednik. I was a fan then. I know about the bad blood, but we are so woebegone on the 25 man roster right now that there's no point in harboring a grudge.

Maggs won't make us not suck. Why give him the satisfaction?

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM

I think Maggs is better than Wilson Betemit. Especially considering that I never want to see Betemit in the field again, and Maggs could play the outfield corners, if necessary.

I never thought this was a likilihood thread. the chances of him actually playing for us is around 0%.

But, I think he's better than the current, and for the league minimum it makes sense.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I think Maggs is better than Wilson Betemit. Especially considering that I never want to see Betemit in the field again, and Maggs could play the outfield corners, if necessary.

I never thought this was a likilihood thread. the chances of him actually playing for us is around 0%.

But, I think he's better than the current, and for the league minimum it makes sense.

In what way? Betemit has shown to have at least a decent bat off the bench. Maggs sucks so far this season. And with TCQ and Dye in the corners, a backup corner OF won't get much playing time.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
In what way? Betemit has shown to have at least a decent bat off the bench. Maggs sucks so far this season. And with TCQ and Dye in the corners, a backup corner OF won't get much playing time.

Its amusing to me that ALL of OUR players who are performing below expectations in this young season are "likely" to improve, but maggs who hit .317 with 21 HR and 103 RBI LAST YEAR is worse than bench player Wilson Betemit.

doublem23
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
i think maggs is better than wilson betemit. Especially considering that i never want to see betemit in the field again, and maggs could play the outfield corners, if necessary.

I never thought this was a likilihood thread. The chances of him actually playing for us is around 0%.

But, i think he's better than the current, and for the league minimum it makes sense.

a: .241/.331/.304
b: .281/.324/.438

If that's your opinion, that's your opinion, and that's fine. I'm not sold on the ability of former suspected roiders to rebound after they start to slow down.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Its amusing to me that ALL of OUR players who are performing below expectations in this young season are "likely" to improve, but maggs who hit .317 with 21 HR and 103 RBI LAST YEAR is worse than bench player Wilson Betemit.

Huh? So you'd play Maggs ahead of Dye and TCQ? Betemit and Dye are hitting fine, too.

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Huh? So you'd play Maggs ahead of Dye and TCQ? Betemit and Dye are hitting fine, too.

Where does that come from? Huh? indeed.

Where does "bench player" and Dye and TCQ equate?

I said its amusing that OUR players will rebound, but other players are washed up and done. In no way, ever, did I say Maggs should replace a starter. Lets keep it in the field of play, ok?

I don't know about the roids. I would assume he would have had to be off them last year, too, no?

doublem23
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know about the roids. I would assume he would have had to be off them last year, too, no?

I have no idea, there's a lot of unknowns about this stuff because (most obviously) its hard to pinpoint exactly when who was on what, but... it appears to me that once someone suspected of taking steriods loses it... they lose it bad.

BigP50
05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
we really couldn't get any worse, I say we go for it

kittle42
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I said its amusing that OUR players will rebound, but other players are washed up and done.

I agreed with you at first, then remembered that, every season, "Thome is done, Konerko is done, Dye is done (at least playing the field)," etc.

But, still, your point is well-taken.

grenda12
05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Get on the phone Kenny!!

2004!?!?!?!!

LOL! Read my mind on this one.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Where does that come from? Huh? indeed.

Where does "bench player" and Dye and TCQ equate?

I said its amusing that OUR players will rebound, but other players are washed up and done. In no way, ever, did I say Maggs should replace a starter. Lets keep it in the field of play, ok?

I just had no idea what your statement about "our" players improving had anything to do with what I said.

Brian26
05-13-2009, 06:42 PM

I don't buy that a career .320 hitter for over nine years just completely loses it overnight. This happens with power hitters all the time when their bat speed starts to slow down, but not with pure hitters.

Now, if there's an injury he's not disclosing, that's one thing. Otherwise, I think Mags will get it back together.

$18 million of Mags with his act together as DH > $13 million of Thome as DH. I'd also make him cut that wig off.

oeo
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Thome is killing lefties this year...

Once again, Maggs is doing worse than all of our old guys. The only thing he's got is a batting average on Thome, but Thome has actually been somewhat of a slugger. Maggs, OTOH, has been basically a singles hitter. And yes, I do think it's possible that his career is about done. Canseco named him as a roider, and his bat looked awfully slow last week in Chicago.

palehozenychicty
05-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't buy that a career .320 hitter for over nine years just completely loses it overnight. This happens with power hitters all the time when their bat speed starts to slow down, but not with pure hitters.

Now, if there's an injury he's not disclosing, that's one thing. Otherwise, I think Mags will get it back together.

$18 million of Mags with his act together as DH > $13 million of Thome as DH. I'd also make him cut that wig off.

He'd become bizarro Samson. :redneck

Rdy2PlayBall
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Are we all taking about the same player? This guys batted .317 last year and had 103 RBIs. How is he in any way bad!? Who care about his slow start, that just means Alexei and Quentin suck too. I don't think the Sox should sign him but give the guy the credit he deserves. :scratch:

oeo
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Are we all taking about the same player? This guys batted .317 last year and had 103 RBIs. How is he in any way bad!? Who care about his slow start, that just means Alexei and Quentin suck too. I don't think the Sox should sign him but give the guy the credit he deserves. :scratch:

Maggs is 35 years old and a suspected steroid user. It's not totally out of the question that he could fall off the table very quickly.

voodoochile
05-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Maggs is 35 years old and a suspected steroid user. It's not totally out of the question that he could fall off the table very quickly.

Especially if the steroids were what was helping hold the knee together and allow him to play at a high level.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Especially if the steroids were what was helping hold the knee together and allow him to play at a high level.So when did I miss the press meeting of Magglio coming out and telling everyone he is getting off steroids this year?

Steelrod
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Great signing.
Didn't play the first year, apparently not the last year also. 35 million spread into his three good years makes him the highest paid player in baseball during that time

It's Dankerific
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Great signing.
Didn't play the first year, apparently not the last year also. 35 million spread into his three good years makes him the highest paid player in baseball during that time

They made it to the World Series. I would say, money well spent.

munchman33
05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
They made it to the World Series. I would say, money well spent.

We won the World Series by not giving him that contract. Money well not spent.

doublem23
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
So when did I miss the press meeting of Magglio coming out and telling everyone he is getting off steroids this year?

Do you know how steroids work? Do you know when he started and stopped (if he ever did at all)?

They're not miracle drugs, they don't turn you into a bodybuilder overnight and turn you back into a skinny twig the second you stop.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Not only has his game fallen off, but this guy's actions (in his home country) off of the field have been truly despicable. [Specifics on this would probably be dubbed "political," so I will leave the intellectually curious members to do their own investigation.]

I want him no where near the city of Chicago. It is bad enough that he was once a member the organization.

wsf4l
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Who cares if he is an old guy? what ever it takes to win. Who cares if he was a juicer. I bet 99.9% of everyone here would love to have A-Rod if he costs less than he does.

oeo
05-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Who cares if he is an old guy? what ever it takes to win. Who cares if he was a juicer. I bet 99.9% of everyone here would love to have A-Rod if he costs less than he does.

Because the combination of those two, or even one of the two, could mean his career is about finished.

voodoochile
05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I care if he's a juicer. I don't want the game to degenerate into who can buy the best drugs. I want a clean game. I back that up by hoping the team will sign players who are PED free. I'd rather lose clean and hope they clean the game up than cheat to win.

wsf4l
05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Ya know, I wish the MLB just forgets about it. Just release everyones names who did roids and then it can just be over. It gets really annoying hearing about these stars who has done roids. Just forget about it. We know 50% of the league was taking SOMETHING illegal to get an edge.

Nellie_Fox
05-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Who cares if he is an old guy? what ever it takes to win. Who cares if he was a juicer. I bet 99.9% of everyone here would love to have A-Rod if he costs less than he does.Count me among the .1%. I'd rather lose than cheat. That's just me.

FarWestChicago
05-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Count me among the .1%. I'd rather lose than cheat. That's just me.I'm in the .1%, too.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-17-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm a .1 percenter too. Outlaw motorcycle clubs have nothing on us.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
We may have to up it to .2%. I'm in.

Dibbs
05-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Count me in on that 99.9%. I'll happily take A-Rod any day.

Oblong
05-18-2009, 08:02 AM
FYI, Magglio has been placed on the bereavement list. His wife is undergoing some surgery. Won't be back until Thursday but it's a day game.

No word on what the surgery is but it sounds serious based on some comments Leyland made a few days ago about what "he's going through" or something like that.