PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset and the Reds

sunofgold
05-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I thought that this guy had decent stuff. Even Steve Stone said that he did. Don't know why it didn't work out with the White Sox.

This year, Masset has a 1.23 ERA, .104 BAA (WOW!) ..8 walks (that's high though) and 12 strikeouts in 14 2/3 innings.

Reds are the most surprising team in the NL. But, they have been developing some young talent the last few years. Wow, must be nice to have Volquez and Cueto to build a rotation around.

And ironically, there manager is...well you know who. We trusty.

kittle42
05-13-2009, 12:56 AM

A thread heralding the greatness of Nick Masset is an appropriate place for my grammatical corrections.

sunofgold
05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Weren't the Reds suppose to take MacDougal, Russell, or Broadway?

And Dusty had a reputation for never playing the young players. Players like Jacques Jones and Neifi Perez were Dusty's favorites.

Craig Grebeck
05-13-2009, 02:15 AM
You know, with such an amazing BAA, one would assume that there is a great deal of luck involved in Masset's start. Simply put, it isn't sustainable.

oeo
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I thought that this guy had decent stuff. Even Steve Stone said that he did. Don't know why it didn't work out with the White Sox.

It did, but only for short spurts. Walking guys = same old Masset.

NLaloosh
05-13-2009, 03:51 AM
The Reds are an interesting team. They have some real nice young talent but they are still a couple of pieces away from really contending.

Very interesting is the fact that Willy Taveras has been exactly the leadoff hitter and CFer that the Sox have wanted Owens, Wise or Pods to be. He's been great.

Also, Laynce Nix has been a good 4th OFer.

palehozenychicty
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
The Reds are an interesting team. They have some real nice young talent but they are still a couple of pieces away from really contending.

Very interesting is the fact that Willy Taveras has been exactly the leadoff hitter and CFer that the Sox have wanted Owens, Wise or Pods to be. He's been great.

I thought he'd be at worst an everyday player although he's had some injuries. Nobody really wanted him here.

asindc
05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I thought he'd be at worst an everyday player although he's had some injuries. Nobody really wanted him here.

Not for the money he was asking for.

soxinem1
05-13-2009, 11:29 AM

They have been fun to watch. I'd love to see them develop into a winner again.

Dusty named Nix his LF last week, and with the 430-foot bomb he hit the other day, along with other big hits, he deserves the shot.

But I'm not too sold on Masset, never was. He started out the same with us last year then started nibbling all over the place before he was traded.

BigP50
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Im definately not surprised by the Reds, if u look through there line up and pitching staff you could guess they would be good any of the last couple years.

TheCommander
05-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Im definately not surprised by the Reds, if u look through there line up and pitching staff you could guess they would be good any of the last couple years.

Your head must really be spinning now, kittle42!

kittle42
05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Your head must really be spinning now, kittle42!

Hey, some people either can't grasp the basics of English or just don't care.

BleacherBandit
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM

This is a sports forum. As long as it's not unreadable, I really don't care about grammar. I'm starting to get irritated with the grammar police around here, even if it isn't directed towards me.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
This is a sports forum. As long as it's not unreadable, I really don't care about grammar. I'm starting to get irritated with the grammar police around here, even if it isn't directed towards me.

Then use your Ignore List.

white sox bill
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
A few weeks ago, I made a doozy. I though you'd be over me like flies over poop. But you missed it Kittle!! Your slippin' :smile:

ChiSoxFan81
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
A few weeks ago, I made a doozy. I though you'd be over me like flies over poop. But you missed it Kittle!! Your slippin' :smile:

Uh oh....

BleacherBandit
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Then use your Ignore List.

Well, he might have something worthwhile to say once in a while. It's not worth putting him on mute. I'm just wondering if any of it can be limited.

doublem23
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, he might have something worthwhile to say once in a while. It's not worth putting him on mute. I'm just wondering if any of it can be limited.

Nope.

kittle42
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM

No. Thanks for the semi-vote of confidence, but in reality, I don't ever have anything worthwhile to say. Thus, you'll miss nothing by putting me on the ignore list.

white sox bill
05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Uh oh....
Nice catch ChiSoxFan...LOL! The first mistake was a typo--forgot a letter. The last one was a real life screw up!!:redface:

krispoulin
05-18-2009, 12:21 AM

A bunch of posts regarding grammar after the one quoted above and no one mentions that "definitely" is misspelled?!

I mean no harm - just playin' along. :)

waldo_the_wolf
06-07-2009, 03:08 AM
You know, with such an amazing BAA, one would assume that there is a great deal of luck involved in Masset's start. Simply put, it isn't sustainable.

Moving ahead to June 6, and Nick Masset's ERA and BAA stand at a humongous 0.86 and .103 respectively. I did not understand this trade at all when it happened and as each day passes, it looks worse and worse. KW has certainly pulled off some great trades but this one was complete idiocy.

Whitesoxfan23
06-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Moving ahead to June 6, and Nick Masset's ERA and BAA stand at a humongous 0.86 and .103 respectively. I did not understand this trade at all when it happened and as each day passes, it looks worse and worse. KW has certainly pulled off some great trades but this one was complete idiocy.

I wasn't a big fan of the trade either really, except for the nostalgia and it's cool to say Griffey played for us.

slavko
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM

Kenny is psycho about developing our own players. There was talent in Nick that any fool could see, granted that he was pitching snakebit at the time of the trade. He may revert again, it's hard to predict. My big problem with the trade was that we got nothing out of it. Griff had an empty tank and a broken axle. He contributed nothing to the team that even Jerry Owens (gulp) couldn't have.

I wonder where Danny Richar (also part of the trade) wound up. Hopefully he has learned a trade along the way. Just remembered that Danny cost us Aaron Cunningham. No loss there except that's Aaron's in MLB and Danny isn't.

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

I disagree. Learn to communicate properly!

PaleHoser
06-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Not saying I disagree, but let's play devil's advocate for a moment:

1. He's pitching in the National League.
2. Did you forsee him performing this well for the Sox? Would he be capable of putting up these numbers pitching here?

I'm not saying he wasn't a good pitcher here, but he was more of a spare part, innings eater than a key component of the pitching staff.

I'm glad to see he's excelling in Cincinnati, but can't say that I miss him.

oeo
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM

I wasn't a big fan of the trade either really, except for the nostalgia and it's cool to say Griffey played for us.

Masset had flashes of good for us, too.

We were going to lose him, anyway. He was pitching so poorly, we had to do something with him and he was out of options.

Dick Allen
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
The Sox play Cincy in two weeks. The man could come back to haunt us. And with our hitting, he probably will.

DSpivack
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Meh, relief pitching is our only strength.

DumpJerry
06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
First there was Aaron Rowand to make WSIers giggle.

Then we were graced by Brian Anderson and WSIers swooned.

Now, the latest is Nick Masset to make the hearts of WSI go pitter patter!

Will wonders ever cease?

Nellie_Fox
06-08-2009, 02:17 AM
This is a sports forum. As long as it's not unreadable, I really don't care about grammar. I'm starting to get irritated with the grammar police around here, even if it isn't directed towards me.Too bad. You have no idea how irritated I get with some of the horrible errors that are made on here on a daily basis.

If you can write well, you'll do so everywhere. If you can't, you'll also write poorly everywhere. It's nonsense to pretend that people can write well in one place and poorly in another. Believe me, I read the "formal" college papers, and writing well is nearly a lost art.

As they say in the Army, you fight like you train. You develop habits. I've gotten term papers with "u" instead of "you" and "2" instead of "to."

kittle42
06-08-2009, 04:42 AM
I disagree. Learn to communicate properly!

Amen. Why do people love celebrating their own ignorance?

DumpJerry
06-08-2009, 07:59 AM
As they say in the Army, you fight like you train. You develop habits. I've gotten term papers with "u" instead of "you" and "2" instead of "to."
If I was a teacher or professor, I would stop reading a paper at the first substitution of a letter or number for a word and grade the magnum opus based on the content up to that point. If you're too lazy to write it out, I just might not have the energy to read your crap.

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not a teacher or professor, my car tires would get slashed every day.

Marqhead
06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
So if I understand this thread correctly, and I think I do; we sent Nick Masset and Danny Richar to the Reds for Ken Griffey Junior and more grammar police?

Under the radar KW!

white sox bill
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
IMO there is a fine line between a relatively frivolous spelling error or grammar faux pas such as "I am going to the game to" and "I am goin' to the game 2". Both are incorrect but I can handle the former but not the latter.

I actually enjoy and appreciate anyone who points out some of the mistakes I've made. I want to learn. Maybe I just made another infraction in this very post.

Just my 3 cents....never said I am right.

Hitmen77
06-08-2009, 09:32 AM

:busted:
Yes, it can be limited if people use proper basic grammar.:wink:

Too bad. You have no idea how irritated I get with some of the horrible errors that are made on here on a daily basis.

If you can write well, you'll do so everywhere. If you can't, you'll also write poorly everywhere. It's nonsense to pretend that people can write well in one place and poorly in another. Believe me, I read the "formal" college papers, and writing well is nearly a lost art.

I think the major difference between posts here and some formal written document for school or work is that people should be cut some slack here for typos. That being said, I really haven't seen the WSI "grammar police" coming after typos instead of poor basic grammar. So, I think the misplaced apostrophes and the there/their/they're type of errors are fair game. Perhaps people shouldn't take it so personally. Maybe they should just look at it as a chance for self-improvement.

Hitmen77
06-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Masset had flashes of good for us, too.

We were going to lose him, anyway. He was pitching so poorly, we had to do something with him and he was out of options.

Good point. He was floundering here last year and the Sox were out of options with him.

TheVulture
06-08-2009, 05:33 PM
If I was a teacher or professor, I would stop reading a paper at the first substitution of a letter or number for a word and grade the magnum opus based on the content up to that point. If you're too lazy to write it out, I just might not have the energy to read your crap.

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not a teacher or professor, my car tires would get slashed every day.

What if the number is one hundred and twenty nine million, four hundred and thirty two thousand, six hundred and twenty nine billionths?

TheVulture
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
:busted:
Yes, it can be limited if people use proper basic grammar.:wink:

Shouldn't there be a comma between successive adjectives?

DumpJerry
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
What if the number is one hundred and twenty nine million, four hundred and thirty two thousand, six hundred and twenty nine billionths?
What is your point? You would write them like this:

BleacherBandit
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Too bad. You have no idea how irritated I get with some of the horrible errors that are made on here on a daily basis.

Hey, I'm not an advocate of poor grammar. As you can see, I make relatively few mistakes with my typing. I am just an individual who gets irritated with the grammar police, especially when they jump on those who make minute errors including ones with apostraphes and commas. To me, that diverts attention away from the reason most people come to WSI: discussion about the White Sox.

As for your term papers, I can't imagine students turning papers in with mistakes like that. They might not even be mistakes, because I believe that one would have to consiously change "you" with "u". Maybe it's the students' judgement instead. In that case, it should be even more discouraging.

sunofgold
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Look at this:

3-0
21 IP
7H
2ER
0HR
9BB
0.86ERA
0.76WHIP
.103BBA

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Look at this:

3-0
21 IP
7H
2ER
0HR
9BB
0.86ERA
0.76WHIP
.103BBA

That's nice. Your point?

He's pitching in the weaker NL, and relief pitching is this team's strength. He didn't perform well with the Sox, and was out of options, so the Sox got rid of him.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess the real question is: would Masset have been better than Gobble?

And did Griffey perform well enough last year to justify that difference?

Hitmen77
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Shouldn't there be a comma between successive adjectives?

:doh:

raul12
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM

I think there is a difference between writing well and using shortcuts in an informal setting. To me, it's similar to using contractions. I would never use them in a formal paper or report but have no problem with them in informal writing, such as a message board. Similarly, when I text, I always use shortcuts such as "u", "ur", "2" and "4" because it's informal. It is possible to turn it off and on. I've been complimented by numerous people on how well I write.

Writing poorly on the other hand includes blatant errors such as their/there/they're or my personal favorite, "should of". Huh? It's should've...short for should have. That being said, I don't feel the urge to correct people because this is an informal setting. If someone handed me a report (and this happens to me all the time), I will bleed all over it and will keep bleeding on it until it's written well.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Masset is apparently throwing up to 95 MPH now and a source told me that wasn't lost on some Sox players who were 'giving it' to Cooper last month.

Lip

Huisj
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I think there is a difference between writing well and using shortcuts in an informal setting. To me, it's similar to using contractions. I would never use them in a formal paper or report but have no problem with them in informal writing, such as a message board. Similarly, when I text, I always use shortcuts such as "u", "ur", "2" and "4" because it's informal. It is possible to turn it off and on. I've been complimented by numerous people on how well I write.

Writing poorly on the other hand includes blatant errors such as their/there/they're or my personal favorite, "should of". Huh? It's should've...short for should have. That being said, I don't feel the urge to correct people because this is an informal setting. If someone handed me a report (and this happens to me all the time), I will bleed all over it and will keep bleeding on it until it's written well.

For texting with a phone that is hard to type on, then fine, I can understand the "u", "ur", "2", and whatever else. But when you have a full keyboard on a computer, it seems that if you are a half-way competent typist, it's probably quicker and more natural to type out the whole word, is it not? When you type a lot, the natural flow between thinking words and typing them with your fingers is nearly effortless. It seems like throwing in strange abbreviations would disrupt the natural flow . . . unless of course you always do it for everything you type. And that is probably the case when people turn in papers that have those kinds of mistakes like what Nellie_Fox said. In that sense, it really is a case of playing like you practice.