PDA

View Full Version : David Ortiz aka Big Papi is homerless

sunofgold
05-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Hasn't hit a HR this whole season. That is amazing.

DumpJerry
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I have not, either. But that is not amazing.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Hasn't hit a HR this whole season. That is amazing.

Ask Manny Ramirez why it actually isn't.

DaveFeelsRight
05-12-2009, 11:18 PM
That's what happens when steroids break your body down

Flight #24
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I have not, either. But that is not amazing.

Well played, along the lines of "who are 3 men who have never been in my kitchen".

sunofgold
05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
That's not productive! Even Nix has 2 home runs.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 12:16 AM
As they said on BBTN a week or so ago, "You no Big Papi."

palehozenychicty
05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Ortiz is done.

fusionspill
05-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Well I didnt hear this one on ESPN yet but many other sport websites have articles up. Hmmm....

DumpJerry
05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
That's not productive! Even Nix has 2 home runs.
Not productive? You do realize there are other ways beside a home run for a batter to produce positive results for his team? Even if he is a Designated Hitter? I have not looked up Ortiz's numbers this year to see if he is productive, but using home runs as a gauge is not looking at the big picture.

Average Homeboy
05-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Not productive? You do realize there are other ways beside a home run for a batter to produce positive results for his team? Even if he is a Designated Hitter? I have not looked up Ortiz's numbers this year to see if he is productive, but using home runs as a gauge is not looking at the big picture.

With or without the homeruns, he's sucking.

Batting .224, 11 extra base hits in 116 at-bats.

Manny is gone, so is the juice, and Papi's power...

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-13-2009, 07:23 AM

I stopped watching the show, so forgive me for asking this:

Is there a candle vigil every evening or black armbands being worn by Gammons, Kruk and Ravech until Ortiz finally fences one?

No teal implied.

DumpJerry
05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I stopped watching the show, so forgive me for asking this:

Is there a candle vigil every evening or black armbands being worn by Gammons, Kruk and Ravech until Ortiz finally fences one?

No teal implied.
Kruk went on a hunger strike.

It lasted ten minutes.:tongue:

cws05champ
05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Jim Thome may be available....for Clay Buckholz and Daniel Bard :D:.

asindc
05-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Maybe his cap has fallen off his head.

LoveYourSuit
05-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Surprised Fenway didn't open this thread :?:

Nevermind, it's negative news one of "Boston's finest." :tongue:

Billy Ashley
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
The guy's coming of knee and wrist issues and he has a bad body. Additionally, there's always been speculation surrounding how old he really is. His awful start should have Red Sox worried.

However, Carlos Delgado had a similar stretch last season and was pretty good to end the year. Additionally, Ortiz is still walking a lot and his numbers haven't been that bad over the past 2-3 weeks. As an Ortiz owner in a couple leagues- I'm hoping he rebounds. However, it's more than likely that his days as an elite hitter are over. He could still enjoy several seasons as Paul Konerko but his inability to play in the field really hurts his value.

asindc
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
The guy's coming of knee and wrist issues and he has a bad body. Additionally, there's always been speculation surrounding how old he really is. His awful start should have Red Sox worried.

However, Carlos Delgado had a similar stretch last season and was pretty good to end the year. Additionally, Ortiz is still walking a lot and his numbers haven't been that bad over the past 2-3 weeks. As an Ortiz owner in a couple leagues- I'm hoping he rebounds. However, it's more than likely that his days as an elite hitter are over. He could still enjoy several seasons as Paul Konerko but his inability to play in the field really hurts his value.

I assume you are referring to the oft-injured Konerko of the past two seasons, rather than the healthy Konerko of 2004-2006 and so far this year. If Boston gets the former, they should not be pleased. If they get the latter, it is close to what they got from Ortiz in 2003-2004. I doubt that Ortiz can match that level of production again, though I would like to see him fully healthy again.

Billy Ashley
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I assume you are referring to the oft-injured Konerko of the past two seasons, rather than the healthy Konerko of 2004-2006 and so far this year. If Boston gets the former, they should not be pleased. If they get the latter, it is close to what they got from Ortiz in 2003-2004. I doubt that Ortiz can match that level of production again, though I would like to see him fully healthy again.

Konerko while very good (and underrated) never posted seasons like Ortiz in his prime- he just doesn't get on base enough. I was talking of the 07 (and thus far 09) Konerko. I don't expect Ortiz to post an OPS around .920 like Konerko was capable of a few years back.

asindc
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Konerko while very good (and underrated) never posted seasons like Ortiz in his prime- he just doesn't get on base enough. I was talking of the 07 (and thus far 09) Konerko. I don't expect Ortiz to post an OPS around .920 like Konerko was capable of a few years back.

Close, not comparable. Ortiz in his prime was a signficantly better player than Konerko will ever be, but Konerko's 2004-06 numbers are close to Ortiz's 2003-04 numbers. At any rate, I think Ortiz's wrist injury is lingering. He seems to have trouble catching up to even 89-90 mph fastballs now, whereas before hs could dead pull 95-96 on a regular basis. As a consequence, pitchers are no longer afraid to challenge him.

Billy Ashley
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I tend to believe your correct about the wrist. Wrist injuries have been known to zap offensive numbers for batters. I've argued that one concern the white sox should have going into this season was the status of Quentin's wrist impacting his power (seems I was overly concerned on that front and not enough on the Ortiz front).

In short, it's a tough injury to come back from.

areilly
05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
With or without the homeruns, he's sucking.

Batting .224, 11 extra base hits in 116 at-bats.

Manny is gone, so is the juice, and Papi's power...

I'm not saying I know Ortiz (or anyone) is clean, but do you really think an overweight man whose body is failing him the way aging, obese men's bodies often do is a logical suspect? I'd at least like to hear the line of reasoning.