PDA

View Full Version : Johan Santana

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
It could just be me, but does it seem like nobody is talking about Johan Santana this year? His ERA is 0.78 and he's only given up 4 earned runs this year, but he's 4-2.

How he puts up with that team is beyond me. If they just hit the ball for him, he'd be looking at a historic season.

DSpivack
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Santana dominating but getting no run support just isn't news anymore, I suppose.

oeo
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
He better be able to put up with them after his big trade demands.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM

What are you implying? He's earned every cent of his contract so far.

DSpivack
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM

I will gladly deal with worse than poor run support for $138 million.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I will gladly deal with worse than poor run support for $138 million.

You can't say as a competitor that you'd be satisfied with just earning your paycheck. If you can be winning championships, you want to be winning championships. I'm sure that Johan is plenty pissed. He should be wearing world series rings, and his teams have been monumental letdowns.

DSpivack
05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
You can't say as a competitor that you'd be satisfied with just earning your paycheck. If you can be winning championships, you want to be winning championships. I'm sure that Johan is plenty pissed. He should be wearing world series rings, and his teams have been monumental letdowns.

Pissed or not, he goes out there and pitches well. Can't change that the Mets are good at choking in September.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Pissed or not, he goes out there and pitches well. Can't change that the Mets are good at choking in September.

Well, my point is that it's a sports tragedy that (quite possibly) the best pitcher of my generation is having his talent wasted on a team that won't help him.

DSpivack
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, my point is that it's a sports tragedy that (quite possibly) the best pitcher of my generation is having his talent wasted on a team that won't help him.

A sports tragedy?

Shoeless_Jeff
05-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Calling it a tradgedy is a little much. It is frustrating, though, to be a fan of a team and see wasted quality pitching performances due to lack of run support (John Danks anyone?).

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
A sports tragedy?

I intentionally threw the "sports" part in there because I know that to call poor run support a tragedy is stupid and irresponsible. But it's certainly a shame to see a special talent like that being wasted.

TDog
05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I intentionally threw the "sports" part in there because I know that to call poor run support a tragedy is stupid and irresponsible. But it's certainly a shame to see a special talent like that being wasted.

Strictly speaking, a tragic figure is one who contributes to his own demise. In MacBeth, MacBeth is the tragic figure, but some would consider the story of Duncan sadder. In Hamlet, what happens to Polonius is sad, but Hamlet, his killer, is the tragic figure.

There are sports tragedies out there. And it's even possible that Johan Santana is a tragic figure. I wouldn't be surprised is his pitching has an influence on the lack of offense on the days that he pitches. I have long believed that many pitchers who consistently can't win because they don't get run support when their teammates do influence the lack of offense in some way. In many cases, pitchers lose on days when conditions are bad for hitting, which aids in their pitching lines. And often they give up unearned runs for which they could be held partially responsible. People who only look at stats sometimes forget that earned runs count.

Things will probably even out for Johan Santana. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if he were partially to blame.

doublem23
05-13-2009, 01:05 AM
How he puts up with that team is beyond me. If they just hit the ball for him, he'd be looking at a historic season.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/images/entries/pile%20of%20cash%20or%20money.jpg

Mystery solved.

DSpivack
05-13-2009, 01:19 AM
http://www.abovethelaw.com/images/entries/pile%20of%20cash%20or%20money.jpg

Mystery solved.

Pfft. What is that, in the 5 or 6 figures?

oeo
05-13-2009, 01:30 AM
What are you implying? He's earned every cent of his contract so far.

I wasn't implying anything. I thought I was pretty clear: Johan should not bitch because of his demands before he was dealt. If he wanted to play elsewhere, then he shouldn't have had such big demands.