PDA

View Full Version : Zimmerman: Half way to Dimaggio

BadBobbyJenks
05-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Ryan Zimmerman has a 28 game hitting streak and no one seems to be talking about it. I guess a Washington National without a house hold name isn't sexy. The thing about his streak so far that has impressed me is how often he has extended it in his first at bat.

I have always thought he was going to be a star and possibly even better than David Wright.

How far will his streak go?

Marqhead
05-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Single in the 1st puts Zimmerman at 29.

Shoeless_Jeff
05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I hope he goes all the way. Zimmerman is one of my favorite ball players.

twentywontowin
05-12-2009, 12:25 AM
We can start talking about it seriously when he breaks 40.

It's ridiculous how hard of a record it is to break. I think someone in my lifetime will break it, but talk about an accomplishment.

drewcifer
05-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Single in the 1st puts Zimmerman at 29.

I hope he goes all the way. Zimmerman is one of my favorite ball players.

Good for him - I was asking about this earlier.

We can start talking about it seriously when he breaks 40.

It's ridiculous how hard of a record it is to break. I think someone in my lifetime will break it, but talk about an accomplishment.

We sure can. But, I like how a radio guy put it today - until he's 1/2 way, don't mention it. That line has been reached many times.

He got over it, so it's fun (justified) to talk about him now officially, IMO.

BadBobbyJenks
05-12-2009, 01:44 AM
4-5 with 2 home runs tonight. Sick Nasty.

palehozenychicty
05-12-2009, 02:09 AM
If Zimmerman gets to the 40s, then we will talk.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Ryan Zimmerman has a 28 game hitting streak and no one seems to be talking about it. ...How far will his streak go?And there's the key. If he gets even remotely close, he'll deal with pressure of media coverage unlike anything players of DiMaggio's era could even imagine. ESPN and MLBNet live cut-ins for every at bat. Reporters asking him about it constantly. VERY unlikely.

drewcifer
05-12-2009, 03:14 AM
And there's the key. If he gets even remotely close, he'll deal with pressure of media coverage unlike anything players of DiMaggio's era could even imagine. ESPN and MLBNet live cut-ins for every at bat. Reporters asking him about it constantly. VERY unlikely.

Agreed. DiMaggio had newspapers and radio to deal with. No candle to what Zimmerman will have if he gets close.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
They mentioned on Baseball Tonight that during DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak, he only faced 53 different pitchers. When Zimmerman reached 28 games, he had already faced 65 pitchers. Just another reason that this record may never ever be broken.

asindc
05-12-2009, 02:49 PM
They mentioned on Baseball Tonight that during DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak, he only faced 53 different pitchers. When Zimmerman reached 28 games, he had already faced 65 pitchers. Just another reason that this record may never ever be broken.

That's an amazing stat. It might be the most significant reason why no one has come close to the record.

NDSox12
05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Base hit in the first inning to extend the streak to 30.

johnnyg83
05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Damn. That ain't easy.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
This guy is giving Nats fans a reason to actually watch their games. MLB has got to be happy about that.

BadBobbyJenks
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Base hit in the first inning to extend the streak to 30.

I have been trying to search for how many times he has extended it in the first and I cant find anything. Anyone know a site I could find things like that?

illini81887
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Now at 30

TDog
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I have been trying to search for how many times he has extended it in the first and I cant find anything. Anyone know a site I could find things like that?

I don't know of any site that would tell you that. But you could find the information on your own by going to his game logs on one of the big baseball sites and linking to the box scores. They provide play-by-play so you can see where the first hit came. I'm not sure how significant that statistic is, but the information is out there if anyone wants to compile it and perhaps post it on the Internet. If Zimmerman approaches the National League record (Pete Rose, at 44, tied Wee Willie Keeler in the 1970s and angrily complained when the streak was stopped that they were pitching him like it was the seventh game of the World Series), mlb.com or one of the other baseball sites might post a chart showing how Zimmerman has done in each game and what inning he got his hits.

This discussion reminds me that a couple of days ago, I was listening to San Francisco sports radio in my car and a man called in angry to complain about the Giants' lack of offense, saying the team needs to trade for Zimmerman. Consequently, not unlike one of Pavlov's dogs with the bell and the food, now whenever I hear anyone mention Zimmerman, I will think of stupid baseball fans.

esbrechtel
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM

God that is insane!

EndemicSox
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd love to see Zimm wearing the black and white someday, but it appears as though he is finally realizing his potential, and WASH would be stupid to let him go. I hope he gets to 50, but that is Joe D's record, and it always will be!:gulp:

EnglishChiSox
05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't know of any site that would tell you that. But you could find the information on your own by going to his game logs on one of the big baseball sites and linking to the box scores. They provide play-by-play so you can see where the first hit came. I'm not sure how significant that statistic is, but the information is out there if anyone wants to compile it and perhaps post it on the Internet. If Zimmerman approaches the National League record (Pete Rose, at 44, tied Wee Willie Keeler in the 1970s and angrily complained when the streak was stopped that they were pitching him like it was the seventh game of the World Series), mlb.com or one of the other baseball sites might post a chart showing how Zimmerman has done in each game and what inning he got his hits.

This discussion reminds me that a couple of days ago, I was listening to San Francisco sports radio in my car and a man called in angry to complain about the Giants' lack of offense, saying the team needs to trade for Zimmerman. Consequently, not unlike one of Pavlov's dogs with the bell and the food, now whenever I hear anyone mention Zimmerman, I will think of stupid baseball fans.

14 of the 30 according to Jon Miller on KNBR

Zimmerman made an out in his first PA just now, a GIDP

BadBobbyJenks
05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd love to see Zimm wearing the black and white someday, but it appears as though he is finally realizing his potential, and WASH would be stupid to let him go. I hope he gets to 50, but that is Joe D's record, and it always will be!:gulp:

He just signed an extension with the Nats before this streak got going.

0-2 with a walk so far in the 6th.

Edit: Intentionally walked after a wild pitch in the 7th, maybe he gets one more shot.

TDog
05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
14 of the 30 according to Jon Miller on KNBR

Zimmerman made an out in his first PA just now, a GIDP

KNBR is the sports radio station I referred to in my post. Jon Miller, no doubt, got is information from the notes provided for the media. That would have been something the Nationals' PR staff assembled.

There is nothing to get excited about nationally unless a hitting streak hits 40 games. And even then it could be over in a flash.

I remember when I was a kid, Ken Berry had hit in 10 or 11 straight games for the 1970 White Sox. Jack Drees interviewed him after the game and congratulated him. Berry responded that he didn't believe Joe DiMaggio was worried.

soltrain21
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Hitting streak is over.

asindc
05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Just watched the post-game interview of Zimmerman. He wasn't upset at all, actually seemed to sincerely feel good that they won the game.

Brian26
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Intentionally walked after a wild pitch in the 7th, maybe he gets one more shot.

I wonder if this violates one of Bob Brenly's "unwritten rules of baseball."

Shoeless_Jeff
05-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Congratulations to Ryan Zimmerman. No record breaker, but an impressive streak regardless.

It does in my book. I used to play MLB The Show games when I had a PS2 and would usually issue intentionally walks to hitters who had a chance to hit for the cycle. I always wondered what kind of reaction that would get in real life. I don't recall any instances of that actually happening.

october23sp
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM

If I am him I am borderline upset over that.

Billy Ashley
05-15-2009, 12:48 AM
meh IBBs are a part of the game.

Hitting streaks are so darn fluky- going 30 games obviously requires someone being in the zone, but also requires a ton of luck. I don't think we'll ever see anyone crack Joe D's mark due to a variety of reason (some already having been mentioned).

He's a very good player but has underachieved thus far. Given the track records of the two players involved, I still think David Wright is a better player but I do believe Zimmerman has the ability to close the gap a bit.