PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Richard Moved Up to Start Tuesday

DirtySox
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/white-soxs-clayton-richard-moved-up-to-start-tuesday-night-at-cleveland.html

The extra day of rest for Buerhle strikes again.

BleacherBandit
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, we all kinda knew that would happen.

05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, we all kinda knew that would happen.

I like this move. I think Richard will put in a good 5, 6 IP with 2 or 3 ER that gives us a chance to win this game. For some reason, I like this kid. He was dialing it up in the low the mid 90's (and even hit 97 ) in his first appearance against Texas this past weekend. Granted, he was in mop up duty but his stuff looked good and he looked good retiring the Rangers 123. Even his slider had a little bit to it.

The question is going to be whether he can refine his control and cut down on the walks. During his appearance in the Minnesota series in late July last year, he was cruising into the 5th with a good start when a couple of walks got into his head, shook him up, and spiraled him out of control. Also, if he can get that changeup that we've seen his last two appearances out of him more consistently, Richard won't just be a spot start replacement, but rather he will be taking a place in the rotation for the rest of the year.