PDA

View Full Version : Contreras to Charlotte, Gobble Called Up

DirtySox
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Needed another Lefty out of the pen with Clayton starting.

http://twitter.com/ChrisDeLuca/status/1765374300

As long as Gobble never pitches to righties, I'm fine with it.

kidmccarthy
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Can he still pitch to Pauly late in the game?:D:

WhiteSox5187
05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I really hope that Contreras can string together a few good starts in AAA and get some confidence going.

LoveYourSuit
05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Question:

Could the Sox have sent Contreras to AA if they wanted?

This way he could have gone down there to join Viciendo and figure out *** is going on with that kid.

Just a thought. They both could room together.

Chez
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Question:

This way he could have gone down there to join Viciendo and figure out *** is going on with that kid.

Sox didn't want to derail Birmingham's fast staff by inserting Contreras into the Barons' rotation!

kittle42
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Contreras stinks. Gobble stinks. It's a push.

DeuceUnit
05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
So how many former members of the KC bullpen have we had over the last few years now? Ramirez, MacDougal, Sisco, now Gobble....The previous guys sure turned out well....

voodoochile
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Why didn't Contreras have to go through waivers or did he and no one claimed him? (I could see that being the case.)

eriqjaffe
05-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Why didn't Contreras have to go through waivers or did he and no one claimed him? (I could see that being the case.)He has to clear waivers. Any takers on a guy with an 8.19 ERA who costs $11 million?

Anybody?

johnnyg83
05-11-2009, 03:02 PM
He has to clear waivers. Any takers on a guy with an 8.19 ERA who costs $11 million?

Anybody?

Please! Anybody!

LITTLE NELL
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I can hear it now; Gobble, Gobble what a turkey.

Noneck
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Question:

Just what you need, a head case teaching a kid to be a head case.

Chrisaway
05-11-2009, 03:13 PM
All I know is i better hear some turkey noises whenever Gobble trots outta the pen.

LoveYourSuit
05-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Just what you need, a head case teaching a kid to be a head case.

Contreras a true professional when he has been good or when he has bad.

I would trust Viciendo under his wing for a couple of weeks just to give that kid boost of confidence.

Just my opinion.

Sargeant79
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
My apologies in advance, but I've seen this a few times now...

It's Viciedo. No 'n'.

DSpivack
05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Why didn't Contreras have to go through waivers or did he and no one claimed him? (I could see that being the case.)

DL stint, perhaps.

Noneck
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

I would trust Viciendo under his wing for a couple of weeks just to give that kid boost of confidence.

Just my opinion.

I like your optimism but your philosophy didn't seem to be working with Ramirez this year.

soxinem1
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Just my opinion.

You are right. If Contreras pitches to him his average will go over .400!!

thomas35forever
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Hooray, another ex-Royals pitcher.

southside rocks
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM

He is expected to clear waivers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5373

LoveYourSuit
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
My apologies in advance, but I've seen this a few times now...

It's Viciedo. No 'n'.

"N" is for "No" hitting Viciedo.

doublem23
05-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Just my opinion.

I agree, a while back Jose said he struggled in New York partially from the level of talent he was playing, but also because it was very difficult for him to get acclimated to life in America. Maybe Dayan is just a year away, maybe he's just a giant bust, or maybe he's struggling to adjust to life here. I know its hard to believe, but things we take for granted like ATMs, cell phones, McDonald's, etc. are not part of the daily life everywhere in the world, especially places like dirt-poor Cuba. It's very possible that Dayan's struggles on the field could be reflective of his struggles to find his niche in America. Jose might know exactly what this kid is going through, and he might be able to lend him a hand.

But I'm sure the Sox know what they're doing better than me. :shrug:

Average Homeboy
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
So how many former members of the KC bullpen have we had over the last few years now? Ramirez, MacDougal, Sisco, now Gobble....The previous guys sure turned out well....

Don't forget D.J. Carrasco and Octavio Dotel.

LoveYourSuit
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree, a while back Jose said he struggled in New York partially from the level of talent he was playing, but also because it was very difficult for him to get acclimated to life in America. Maybe Dayan is just a year away, maybe he's just a giant bust, or maybe he's struggling to adjust to life here. I know its hard to believe, but things we take for granted like ATMs, cell phones, McDonald's, etc. are not part of the daily life everywhere in the world, especially places like dirt-poor Cuba. It's very possible that Dayan's struggles on the field could be reflective of his struggles to find his niche in America. Jose might know exactly what this kid is going through, and he might be able to lend him a hand.

But I'm sure the Sox know what they're doing better than me. :shrug:

Exactly my thinking.

Perhaps they are waiting for the Alexei demotion to pair them up.

Contreras just needs to get work in as a SP. AAA or AA talent, doesn't matter. Control and command is his biggest issue right now. Hell he could go throw at Rookie ball camps right now, that would be fine with me.

But I thought it would make some sense to send him to AA sort of to knock two birds with one stone. Contreras gets his rehab work in and also gets to join Viciedo to kind of give the kid a break to be with someone he might trust and feel "home" with.

My fear of Viciedo not making the big club was him getting lost in "America." I think the best thing they did with Alexei was bring him along for the ride last year. Same thing happening to Viciedo right now could have happed to Alexei had he not made the club.

Noneck
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
My fear of Viciedo not making the big club was him getting lost in "America." I think the best thing they did with Alexei was bring him along for the ride last year. Same thing happening to Viciedo right now could have happed to Alexei had he not made the club.

Another solution would be to send Ramirez down to comfort that 19 year old Cuban AA kid that is making more money than Alexei for 3 more years. That might straighten them both out.

Tragg
05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Why does Contreras need work?
He's been pitching for 30 years.
Try him out of the pen.

DSpivack
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Try him out of the pen.

He started pitching when he was 20? :scratch:

doublem23
05-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Try him out of the pen.

He had a serious leg injury last year... Until Spring Training the word was not to expect Jose to be able to throw off the mound until the All-Star Break at earliest. Plus, he lost a lot of weight; I don't care if your Cy Young at his prime, you can't change your body that much and not affect your mechanics.

longtimesoxguy
05-12-2009, 12:17 AM
He had a serious leg injury last year... Until Spring Training the word was not to expect Jose to be able to throw off the mound until the All-Star Break at earliest. Plus, he lost a lot of weight; I don't care if your Cy Young at his prime, you can't change your body that much and not affect your mechanics.
Exactly!!! Jose will work hard on his control and maybe come back and win a couple big games for us.

PeoriaSoxFan
05-12-2009, 11:18 AM
We have had a lot of luck with ex-KC relievers. Wow. All spring long, all we heard is how much talent and depth is now in this organization. Really? Gobble? A revolving door of crappy pitchers, Egbert, et al? The AAA team is resembling an minor league independent team, with a bunch of old castoffs from other teams. My only hope now is that we had an equally crappy record last year a this time.

PatK
05-12-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm one that thinks they pressed too hard for his quick return

Milw
05-12-2009, 05:12 PM
My fear of Viciedo not making the big club was him getting lost in "America."
Good point. Living in Birmingham and playing in the Southern League is a lot of "America" for anyone, let alone a black guy that doesn't speak English...

whitem0nkey
05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Contreras had 6 or 5 scoreless innings, the other day.

Mark Gonzales says 5 innings while Joe Cowley says 6 innings, ......:scratch:........regardless its good to see.

nug0hs
05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Contreras had 6 or 5 scoreless innings, the other day.

Mark Gonzales says 5 innings while Joe Cowley says 6 innings, ......:scratch:........regardless its good to see.

Final line on Jose was:
6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 5 K

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_05_13_chraaa_swbaaa_1&did=t494&sid=t494

Brian26
05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Final line on Jose was:
6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 5 K

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_05_13_chraaa_swbaaa_1&did=t494&sid=t494

He needs to work on that walk total before he's considered for a call up.

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
He needs to work on that walk total before he's considered for a call up.

Couldn't agree more.

Box Scores mean **** down in the minors.

I want to know:

1. Velocity
2. Location
3. Command of all pitches
4. Arm angles

By the look of the 5 BBs, not too good for me.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Box Scores mean **** down in the minors.

I want to know:

1. Velocity
2. Location
3. Command of all pitches
4. Arm angles

By the look of the 5 BBs, not too good for me.
To be fair, his velocity has been there. The problem has been that he walks guys and then gets hit hard and almost exclusively drops down against righties which means he gets hit hard.

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
To be fair, his velocity has been there. The problem has been that he walks guys and then gets hit hard and almost exclusively drops down against righties which means he gets hit hard.

Someone from the media said the other day that his velocity is too inconsistant. 1 night he is 91-93 and then the next he is 88-90.

This is because of all the time off he has had IMO. Just like Bartolo.

I think Contreras should have had an extended Spring Training.

gobears1987
05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Gobble can pitch bp to Paulie. I want some souvenirs.

oeo
05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Couldn't agree more.

What's there not to agree with? Contreras walked 5 guys in 6 innings. That's the same Contreras we've been seeing.

DonnieDarko
05-15-2009, 09:59 AM
...it was only his first start in Charlotte. If he keeps this up, then perhaps we can forget about him. I suppose that I'm not so ready to give up on Contreras. Yet.

LoveYourSuit
05-15-2009, 11:26 AM
What's there not to agree with? Contreras walked 5 guys in 6 innings. That's the same Contreras we've been seeing.

What's your point?

Read my post again, I said "I COULDN'T AGREE MORE."

Where did I say I disagree :scratch:?