PDA

View Full Version : Phil Roger's latest MLB Power Rankings

1908<2005
05-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Alright 1st of all, I don't hate the Cubs like some of you but I found this funny:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-10-rogers-rankings,0,2008723.column

The Cubs are a complete mess this season and Phil has them at #5 on the rankings. Seriously?

central44
05-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Shouldn't the Cubune bias be coming to an end soon? What with the team sold and all. Either way though, ranking a 4th place team from that particular division as the number 5 team in all of baseball shows what a joke these rankings are. It's not even really worth the effort to get angry about them because they're embarrassingly bad.

I can't put stock into anything Phil Rogers and the Cubune have to say about anything. If not for Buehrle this would be a desperate team...whatever. At this point he's probably the most talented and consistent overall pitcher on either side of town.

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Shouldn't the Cubune bias be coming to an end soon?

Old habits die hard. Expect to see pro-Cubs bias for several years.

veeter
05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Shouldn't the Cubune bias be coming to an end soon? What with the team sold and all. Either way though, ranking a 4th place team from that particular division as the number 5 team in all of baseball shows what a joke these rankings are. It's not even really worth the effort to get angry about them because they're embarrassingly bad.

I can't put stock into anything Phil Rogers and the Cubune have to say about anything. If not for Buehrle this would be a desperate team...whatever. At this point he's probably the most talented and consistent overall pitcher on either side of town.Good post. I've always hated that philosophy, "if you take away that ten game winning streak, this team would be bad...", Why would we take away Buehrle? He's part of the team. His wins count. Mindless journalism continues.

Madscout
05-10-2009, 10:12 AM
What's new? The bigger joke could be where the Yankees are. 14-16 says it all.

pearso66
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I think it's funny that the Rangers moved up 10 spaces because "Matt Harrison owns the White Sox"

captainclutch24
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
The White Sox and Tigers need to switch spots.

Sad
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
The White Sox and Tigers need to switch spots.

that's what I was thinking... Detroit #20?

asindc
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
The only rankings I remember getting worked up about were those in 2005 when some had the Sox ranked 3 or 4, even though they were kicking everybody's asses then. No one has explain the logic of that yet. The only "rationale" given was that the other teams were better.

SOXPHILE
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Unless the Cubs take a complete nosedive and fall below .500 by double digits, I won't expect Phil Rogers to rank them anywhere but the top 10 each week. He's got to cover his ass because he, like many in the media, are assuming the 2009 season just to be a matter of formality for the cute lil' blue team, as they bide their time and toy with the rest of the NL on their way to playing the games that really matter in October.

As long as they hover near .500, they'll be "one of the premier teams in the NL".

CHISOXFAN13
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I think it's funny that the Rangers moved up 10 spaces because "Matt Harrison owns the White Sox"

Yet somehow, the Sox are still ahead of the Rangers, a first place team, despite losing four of six?

Pure silliness from 5 down.

doublem23
05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Guys, Rogers is auditioning for a job with the Onion or something for after the Tribune shuts down.

pearso66
05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Yet somehow, the Sox are still ahead of the Rangers, a first place team, despite losing four of six?

Pure silliness from 5 down.

I don't have a problem with the Rangers moving up, but his reasoning is horrible.

Average Homeboy
05-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't read the Tribune on paper or online, but this should say it all about the bias.

12. Royals (17): Won their last four meetings with the White Sox.

Eddo144
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't read the Tribune on paper or online, but this should say it all about the bias.
Totally. Rogers couldn't even write an entry on the Royals without mentioning the Sox! The Trib is biased in favor of the Sox!

CHISOXFAN13
05-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't have a problem with the Rangers moving up, but his reasoning is horrible.

I don't either. My issue is that the Sox are ahead of the Rangers. Makes no sense.