PDA

View Full Version : Austin Kearns Throw/Force-Out @ Home Plate from RF

Brian26
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Washington/D-Backs game just now.

D-Backs had the bases loaded, base-hit to RF, Kearns fires the ball in and Washington gets a force-out at homeplate. I've never seen that before.

DSpivack
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Who was running that slow, or just a bad tag-up?

Brian26
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Bad tag-up. Felipe Lopez for the D-Backs. Didn't go halfway...he went back to tag, but it was a line-shot that he never would have been able to score on anyway.

I've seen guys thrown out at first on balls hit to the outfield, but never a force-out at homeplate.

EMachine10
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Bad tag-up. Felipe Lopez for the D-Backs. Didn't go halfway...he went back to tag, but it was a line-shot that he never would have been able to score on anyway.

I've seen guys thrown out at first on balls hit to the outfield, but never a force-out at homeplate.
Yes, the Sox threw Sean Casey out at first from the outfield.

TDog
05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
I've never seen a forceout at home from the outfield either, but when I was a kid, Jack Brickhouse during a televised Cubs game (probaby during a rain delay) talked about a Sox game he was covering where the first hitter back from a rain delay in Old Comiskey lined a ball on one hop to the leftfielder who threw a bullet home to get the forceout. I think the Sox were victimized on the play, but I was young and didn't recognize any of the names he was throwing out.

Of course, if there was a forceout at home, the hitter didn't get credit for a hit. Looks like a weak ground out in the box score.

InKennyWeTrust
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I've never seen a forceout at home from the outfield either, but when I was a kid, Jack Brickhouse during a televised Cubs game (probaby during a rain delay) talked about a Sox game he was covering where the first hitter back from a rain delay in Old Comiskey lined a ball on one hop to the leftfielder who threw a bullet home to get the forceout. I think the Sox were victimized on the play, but I was young and didn't recognize any of the names he was throwing out.

Of course, if there was a forceout at home, the hitter didn't get credit for a hit. Looks like a weak ground out in the box score.
"Player reaches on a sharp ground out, right field to catcher. Runner forced out at home."

As for Casey, I think the poster was refering to the similar "sharp line drive to the right fielder, throw to first still beats him."

Actually, this reminds me of another odd play. I wanna say Tigers @ Angels. The batter singles to right. The fielder holds the ball, and while the batter slowly rounded first, the fielder threw a laser back to first (was actually registered around 100MPH) and the runner was tagged out.

Brian26
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
As for Casey, I think the poster was refering to the similar "sharp line drive to the right fielder, throw to first still beats him."

That Casey play was actually a throw-out from LF to first. I can't remember the circumstances...it was either 2006 or 2007. Luis Terrero or Pablo Ozuna may have made the throw.

SoxGirl4Life
05-10-2009, 10:51 PM
That Casey play was actually a throw-out from LF to first. I can't remember the circumstances...it was either 2006 or 2007. Luis Terrero or Pablo Ozuna may have made the throw.

I know it was Ozuna. I have no fond memories of Luis Terrero.

asindc
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I didn't see the play, but Kearns does have a rocket arm, one of the best in the majors. Lopez should have known better, since he played 2b for the Nats last year.

salty99
05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Washington/D-Backs game just now.

D-Backs had the bases loaded, base-hit to RF, Kearns fires the ball in and Washington gets a force-out at homeplate. I've never seen that before.

I'm more shocked that someone would voluntarily watch a Nationals game!!!

Oblong
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, the Sox threw Sean Casey out at first from the outfield.

From left field, no less. But in Sean's defense he thought Crede had caught it so he stopped running. Yes he ran like a pregnant deer but if he didn't stop running then I doubt the play is made like that.

I've seen it happen quite a bit where a hard liner to RF will get the runner out at 1B.

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

It looked like there was a decent chance the ball would be caught, so the runner stayed at third base.Then right at the last second, the ball bounced (short hop) right on front of the OF and he came up and fired the ball to the plate.

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm more shocked that someone would voluntarily watch a Nationals game!!!

Spot on. Unfortunately, the family and I made the poor decision to take in the D-back/Nats game yesterday. An 8.5 inning game and it lasted almost 4 hours. It was brutal. I guess that's what you get for going to watch two bad teams play each other.