PDA

View Full Version : Do the Sox have a rep, or what?

Boondock Saint
05-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I can't help but think that umps have it out for the Sox. This season so far, the Sox have been hit by 16 pitches, while hitting five opposing hitters. Today, 2 Sox batters were hit, and two more were almost hit (that I can remember) with no warning. Then, in the 9th inning with a 1 run lead, Bobby threw one behind Kinsler and immediately got a warning.

What I want to know is, how is it that we always get the warnings when we're seemingly the only guys getting hit?

DSpivack
05-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I would almost not include TCQ in any HBP tallies, since he's practically on top of the plate and doesn't seem to really mind getting hit.

Craig Grebeck
05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
The warning was warranted.

Boondock Saint
05-09-2009, 09:14 PM

How so? Do you think Jenks was trying to throw a purpose pitch at Ian Kinsler with a 1 run lead in the 9th?

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
How so? Do you think Jenks was trying to throw a purpose pitch at Ian Kinsler with a 1 run lead in the 9th?

That's ridiculous. The warning was bogus.

soxfanatlanta
05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Can't wait to see what Padilla does tomorrow.

JohnTucker0814
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
That's ridiculous. The warning was bogus.

Here's the difference between our guys getting hit and Jenks pitch in the 9th... our guys got hit on an inside pitch... Jenks threw BEHIND the hitter! If you miss the guy you're throwing at behind him, it's going make the umpire think it was on pupose... after all these are major league hitters and if you miss the plate by 2 feet because you were just "letting" it loose... then you don't belong here!

JMO

WhiteSox5187
05-09-2009, 09:28 PM

That was without a doubt the dumbest warning I've ever seen. If we threw behind someone in the 6th-8th MAYBE a warning would be warranted, but when you have a one run lead in the ninth are you really going to put the tying run on base just to send a message? Nope.

Having said that, I don't like issuing warnings before the other team can retaliate. For example if Padilla hits one of our guys tomorrow and a warning is issued, while I see the logic in that, I think it would be best to wait until the Sox at least had a chance to retaliate and then issue the warning. Other wise the Rangers really come off scot free.

pearso66
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Padilla always gets off scott free. He seems to hit at least 2 Sox hitters a game, and those 2 usually end up being AJ. Before the Sox can retaliate, they are warned. Wasn't it Tracy a couple of years ago that got basically kicked off the team because he didn't retaliate when Padilla hit a couple of guys?

05-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Why do you people continue to fuel this idiot's fire? He's looking to get a rise out of anyone he possibly can and you're all buying into it.

LoveYourSuit
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Here's the difference between our guys getting hit and Jenks pitch in the 9th... our guys got hit on an inside pitch... Jenks threw BEHIND the hitter! If you miss the guy you're throwing at behind him, it's going make the umpire think it was on pupose... after all these are major league hitters and if you miss the plate by 2 feet because you were just "letting" it loose... then you don't belong here!

JMO

Jenks had his best control I have seen all year. It was 100% a purpose pitch, and kudos to him for steeping up.

And yes the warning was warranted, because once again it was a purpose pitch.

Craig Grebeck
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I have no doubt that Jenks intended to hit Kinsler. LYS is right.

The Immigrant
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I have no doubt that Jenks intended to hit Kinsler. LYS is right.

Jenks had pinpoint control tonight. He threw behind Kinsler to send a message, and it was the perfect way to do it.

Craig Grebeck
05-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Why do you people continue to fuel this idiot's fire? He's looking to get a rise out of anyone he possibly can and you're all buying into it.
Tell me, should we not have received a warning for throwing behind a player? It was well deserved.

DirtySox
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Gonna have to agree with Craig and others. Jenks meant to throw behind Kinsler, meant to send a message, and received what he should. Nothing to get upset about really. In fact I'm pleased he did it.

HomeFish
05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not complaining about the other team giving us free baserunners. We need all the help we can get. I hope everybody drills us.

Huisj
05-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Getting the warning issued for that pitch was fine. That's the way it should work. They hit us, we retaliate, warnings are issued, and that's that. It's when warnings get issued before a retaliation chance or before a game ever starts that the umps screw things up. Or when they just toss guys with no warning like the infamous Buehrle curveball incident against Baltimore a few years ago that broke is 6 innings/start streak.

southside rocks
05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Jenks had pinpoint control tonight. He threw behind Kinsler to send a message, and it was the perfect way to do it.

I agree. Farmio was pretty explicit about it, too, saying the same thing.

southside rocks
05-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm not complaining about the other team giving us free baserunners. We need all the help we can get. I hope everybody drills us.

Free baserunners -- those would be the pinch-runners sent in when the HBP batter has to be lifted, and heads to the DL.

But hey, what are a few broken bones compared to the free baserunner!

skobabe8
05-10-2009, 09:35 AM
It was more than likely a purpose pitch, but that doesnt mean the warning was warranted.

pearso66
05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen many serious injuries come out of getting hit by pitches. Can it happen? Yes, but I have also seen players get hurt rounding first base, sliding into a base, diving for a ball, jumping for a ball, sneezing, etc. Yes Dye and Fields got hurt by getting hit in the hand, but they were out only a day or two.

I have no problems with pitchers pitching inside, and hitting people on occasion, and I wish more Sox pitchers would do it. It seems a lot of pitchers get scared to pitch inside because they might get thrown out of a game for hitting a guy. Hitters being hit is part of the game, especially when they stand on top of the plate like Quentin does. Heck doesn't Biggio have the record for most HBP's? and how much time did he miss because of it?

pearso66
05-10-2009, 09:40 AM
It was more than likely a purpose pitch, but that doesnt mean the warning was warranted.

I saw the replay of the pitch, and I can see why they would call a warning on that, but being at the end of the game I could see your point too.