PDA

View Full Version : Sox Players on Twitter

One_Dog
05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I recently joined twitter, mostly to see what all the hoopla is about. One of the things I quickly noticed was that many professional athletes were on there and a few of them were pretty active (mostly nba guys: shaq, dwight howard, charlie Villanueva, baron davis etc..). It was a pleasant surprise to see these guys post thoughts and replies to fans inquires. Some of them took it to another level and gave away prizes, such as tickets or autographs to lucky winners. For example, one night at a Brewers/scrubs game, Charlie V. posted that he was sitting in section XYZ, first person to find him gets tix to tomorrow nights game. You can't help but root for a guy that is down to earth and connects to fans at this level; although, I'm a bulls fan, I coudn't help but root for him from now on. I've been lucky to get a personal response from him, dwight howard and a couple of other athletes (and i haven't bombarded them either).

As a chicago Fan, the only player I've noticed on twitter is Tyrus Thomas, he's not the most elaborate or consistant poster, but its great just seeing a Chicago athlete take the time to throw a message here and there. Ben Gordon has a myspace page, but I'm sure his publisist does a lot of the updates and stuff, but he does blog once in a while.

From my perspective, what separates twitter from other social networking tools (like personal websites, or myspace pages) is that it's very informal. The tweeting athlete can use it as they wish: from throwing a quick note like tyrus does once in a while, to spending an hour to reply to fans direct messages; there are no expectations, fans get what the players wants to give and there are generally no let downs.

What do you guys think, would you like to see some sox players twit? Former player, Nick Swisher, is online twitting for his fans now, I'd love to see a current White sox player give us a sneek peek into their thoughts or teammates antics. Imagine getting Buerhle's thoughts every now and then, or hearing about what is going on on off days.

I nominate this for next weeks question of the week:

Which Sox employee would you love to have on twitter:
1. Mark
2. AJ
3. Paulie
4. Ozzie
5. What the heck is Twitter?

Shoeless
05-09-2009, 01:51 AM
I feel like AJ and Ozzie would have the best things to say, but I'd like to see the younger players like Fields on twitter.

ohthosechisox
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Chris Getz has a twitter:
https://twitter.com/ChrisGetz

:smile:

Chez
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I think Twitter is silly. But to each his own.

GoGoCrede
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
AJ without a doubt. He's always got something interesting to say. I bet he'd get a ton of followers just waiting for him to piss someone off.

Adding Getz now! Awesome.

EMachine10
05-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm not a twitter fan but I think AJ would have some fun with it.

oeo
05-09-2009, 11:16 AM

I always thought the concept was silly, but it's actually a really good idea. I just wonder why it's really taken off in the last couple months. :scratch:

soltrain21
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Chris Getz has one and also has a facebook. I'm his friend on it. Danks deleted his.

Milw
05-09-2009, 03:36 PM
The expression "don't knock it til you try it" is perfect for Twitter. I thought it was a ridiculous concept. Then I gave it a chance. Now I check it more often than my e-mail.

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd love it if Paulie had a page up. I tend to listen to what he has to say above anyone else. But, then again, I guess that is partial bias, as Paulie is my favorite baseball player.

sunofgold
05-09-2009, 06:57 PM
http://twitter.com/oswaldoguillen

Brian26
05-09-2009, 09:24 PM

That cannot really be Ozzie.

pearso66
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM

I saw that too, and I don't think it is. It seems to be WAY over the top.

chisoxfan4life
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Being a huge IU basketball fan, I think it's awesome that Tom Crean is an avid tweeter. I would love for some people in the Sox organization to jump on the bandwagon because it makes you realize these people we look up to are really just ordinary people like us.

One_Dog
05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
There is a fake Hawk Harrelson on twitter: @hawkharrelson

Frankfan4life
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM

There is a fake Hawk Harrelson on twitter: @hawkharrelson

This begs the question. How can you tell who's fake and who isn't?

One_Dog
05-10-2009, 03:05 AM
well if their celebrities or athletes and have a big following (over 500 people), usually it gets brought up once or twice in that persons interviews and they confirm or deny it. Shaq confirmed it, Charlie Villuenueva made ESPN news for twittering during a game, etc... so usually they get wind of it. Steve Buscemi fraud pulled a big scam recently twittering with his name and Kristy Alley called him out and got it addressed.

John Barrett
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Follow Kenny Powers!

skobabe8
05-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Being a huge IU basketball fan, I think it's awesome that Tom Crean is an avid tweeter. I would love for some people in the Sox organization to jump on the bandwagon because it makes you realize these people we look up to are really just ordinary people like us.

Me too. Crean blows up my phone more than everyone else combined.

BigP50
05-10-2009, 03:30 PM
AJ would probably get fined for bashing umps:bandance:

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I like how Getz ripped on Tampa having a dome on his page.

fusionspill
05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Ozzie would be just hystarical on it. Considering that every possible media source who always try to destroy ozzie every which way would be following. just imagine his updates

"10 game winning streak and have yet to change my underwear and I just **** my pants, I hope the northside dont mind the southern winds.