PDA

View Full Version : So who steps into the starting rotation?

tm1119
05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Someone had to start it.

-Clayton Richard would probably be the obvious choice but he hasnt exactly been great so far out of the pen.
-Carlos Torres has been crazy good in AAA, but I've honestly never even heard of the guy. .96 ERA with 28K's in 28IP at Charlotte.
-Poreda would most likely be the next choice since he is supposed to be the future and has been doing well in AA. But is he polished enough? And what would a failed attempt at the bigs do to him at this point in his career?
- After that?- Broadway, Egbert?- No thanks from me. Both are career minor leaguers in my opinion. Kyle McCulloch, John Ely?- Again just not much talent there.

Any other options I'm missing? And I'm not counting Pedro because I just really dont think its gonna happen.

Scottiehaswheels
05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Guess it really doesn't matter when your offense gets shut out seemingly every other ****ing night.

WhiteSox1989
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Someone outside of the organization. I, personally, don't think anyone in the organization is capable at this point.

sunofgold
05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Carrasco is an option. He has started in the past.

Personally, maybe give Torres a chance. They aren't going to rush Poreda, so probably not yet for him.

russ99
05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I'd assume Richard, if Ozzie has any confidence in him.

If not, Wes Whistler's have a very good season at AAA.

DirtySox
05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Torres called up to see what he can do. Evidently he has 3 average pitches, but no out pitch. He is also a flyball pitcher.

I don't want to see Poreda. Still needs work.

Red Barchetta
05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Guess it really doesn't matter when your offense gets shut out seemingly every other ****ing night.

I agree! This team has been very frustrating to watch this season so far. If they were scoring 5 runs and losing, it's another story. :angry:

scarsofthumper
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Pedro

sunofgold
05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Byrd? Not Marlon, that other guy Paul. Is he still available? The bible thumping HGH user. That dude.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Byrd? Not Marlon, that other guy Paul. Is he still available? The bible thumping HGH user. That dude.

I'd rather not bring in known roiders. Morals aside, they have this tendency of bottoming out once they're off the juice, and Byrd wasn't even that good to begin with.

Can we just forfeit every fifth game? It'd be a hell of a lot less frustrating.

tm1119
05-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Seems kinda pointless to me though. Lets be realistic here, we're not winning a world series this year. Why not try out a bunch of young kids to see if just maybe one of them sticks? Doubt Byrd would even come out of retirement to come here right now to be honest with you.

sox1970
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd start Carrasco next Wednesday, and see how far he can go. Then let Richard relieve in the middle innings, and see what happens. I don't think they're ready rotation-wise to bring up anyone for next Wednesday. Maybe Whisler, but who knows...

kevingrt
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd start Carrasco next Wednesday, and see how far he can go. Then let Richard relieve in the middle innings, and see what happens. I don't think they're ready rotation-wise to bring up anyone for next Wednesday. Maybe Whisler, but who knows...

I would go Richard just because Carrasco has been so valuable in that middle relief/mop-up role. Plus, Richard started more than Carrasco last season, and he has a bigger future as a starter.

sunofgold
05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
The AL Central is wide open. I would go for it. Vote for Pedro. Our bullpen is decent enough. Solidify the starting rotation and we are in great shape.

MrT27
05-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd like to see Pedro in our rotation

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I would go Richard just because Carrasco has been so valuable in that middle relief/mop-up role. Plus, Richard started more than Carrasco last season, and he has a bigger future as a starter.

Agree. Carrasco is fine where he is at. You need a guy like this on every roster and he is pretty damn good at what he does.

I wish there was another option instead of Richard for SP.

thedudeabides
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM

This is probably the most likely scenario. I wouldn't mind giving it a look.

Does Jose go on the DL? Bullpen?

sox1970
05-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I'd vote for Torres, but he's scheduled to pitch tomorrow I think. If he has a good outing, I could see him coming up, but they'd probably need Carrasco or Richard to do the spot start on Wednesday.

sunofgold
05-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Cannot rule that out. Don't know who we could trade though? haha! We do have extra shortstops though.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Cannot rule that out. Don't know who we could trade though? haha! We do have extra shortstops though.

Unless you can figure out a way to do that without adding payroll, I think you can.

JB98
05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I think they should give Richard a shot. He was the "No. 6 starter" coming out of camp. I haven't seen anything that convinces me that Broadway is a better option, and Marquez is now hurt down on the farm.

I agree with other posters who have noted that Carrasco is too valuable out of the bullpen to be moved into the rotation.

Dan H
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
How about Hawkeroo to start? Then we won't have listen to his excuse making in the booth every fifth day. Not to mention to him saying "stretch" every time a Sox player hits a ball to the warning track.

Otherwise, give a young guy a chance. This is a rebuilding year anyway.

palehozenychicty
05-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Vote for Pedro. He's old enough to play for us now. :redneck

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2009, 02:16 AM
How about Hawkeroo to start? Then we won't have listen to his excuse making in the booth every fifth day. Not to mention to him saying "stretch" every time a Sox player hits a ball to the warning track.

Otherwise, give a young guy a chance. This is a rebuilding year anyway.If this is a rebuilding year, they are going about it all wrong. You don't start Konerko, Thome, Dye and Pierzynski on a rebuilding team.

guillen4life13
05-09-2009, 02:30 AM
I think it is a little early to be giving up on the season. The goal should be to make the playoffs. At that point, you can go to a 4 or even 3 man rotation. This team is capable of making the playoffs, and our top 3, when on, are as good as any other top three in the AL or in the whole majors for that matter.

Richard, Poreda, Broadway, Egbert, Torres... one of them will fill in and won't do horribly.

Chicken Dinner
05-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Does Jose go on the DL? Bullpen

It has to be the DL. The bullpen would be even a bigger disaster.

Bucky F. Dent
05-09-2009, 07:04 AM
"Richard, party of one, your space in the rotation is available."

I'd like to see them take a flier on Torres or Whisler, but I doubt they will.

Hope they let Poreda sit in Birmingham and work on his second and third pitches.

You can't start in the majors with nothing but a fastball.

doublem23
05-09-2009, 07:34 AM
So if Richard gets promoted to the rotation, are we really going to go with 1 lefty in the bullpen?

Lillian
05-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I still like Carrasco for the 5th starter. If you take out that one really bad outing, his first appearance of the season, he has only given up 3 earned runs in 18 innings.
I know for a fact that he had wanted to return to the role of starter, which he earned his last year in the Majors before spending one year in Japan.
I met his wife, Autumn, last year in Tucson and we had a couple of conversations in which she told me of his aspirations as a starter. One could argue that he's earned a shot, given his steady work last year. He throws a lot of different pitches, and none of them seem to be very hard on the arm. You would think that he could quickly make the transition from long relief to starting.

That would leave Richard in the pen, which isn't a bad idea because Thornton is the only other lefty reliever on the squad. If Jose is taken off the roster, I don't know who would be brought up to replace him.

DonnieDarko
05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I think that Carrasco has handled himself quite well, too...save for that first outing that I think everyone would rather forget. But I want to see him at least get a shot at the starting role. I originally wanted to say Richard, but he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire...not to mention that would put three LHPs in our rotation.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I would give Broadway the first shot. He has been waiting a long time for this opportunity. My next choice would be Torres.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I still like Carrasco for the 5th starter. If you take out that one really bad outing, his first appearance of the season, he has only given up 3 earned runs in 18 innings.
I know for a fact that he had wanted to return to the role of starter, which he earned his last year in the Majors before spending one year in Japan.
I met his wife, Autumn, last year in Tucson and we had a couple of conversations in which she told me of his aspirations as a starter. One could argue that he's earned a shot, given his steady work last year. He throws a lot of different pitches, and none of them seem to be very hard on the arm. You would think that he could quickly make the transition from long relief to starting.

That would leave Richard in the pen, which isn't a bad idea because Thornton is the only other lefty reliever on the squad. If Jose is taken off the roster, I don't know who would be brought up to replace him.

Good point. If memory serves, Thornton got overused for at one point last year and was hurting for awhile.

balke
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I vote to keep it in the organization, and suffer for a year. Give Richard a shot at first, and wait a few months to see if Jose can produce in a reliever role and perhaps get back to form late in the season.

If anything, see if something pops up at the trade deadline that can help the Sox in the future. Right now, the Sox have a ton of relievers and could probably make a decent trade.

parlaycard
05-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Pedro

Is spending $5 million + on Pedro really going to solve anything?

Berfore the season i would have been all for Pedro.

But the Sox have more holes than swiss cheese.

When you cant score one run off Matt Harrison in 2 games, the problem isnt fixed by bringing in Pedro.

cards press box
05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Carrasco is an option. He has started in the past.

Personally, maybe give Torres a chance. They aren't going to rush Poreda, so probably not yet for him.

Tonight, Carlos Torres starts for Charlotte and Aaron Poreda starts for Birmingham. I hope that the Sox don't rush Poreda.

I've never seen Torres pitch but his numbers certainly look impressive.

Vote for Pedro. He's old enough to play for us now. :redneck

Kudos for the reference to Napoleon Dynamite. Even if the Sox could sign Martinez at a reasonable salary, does he have anything left in the tank? I don't recall how he pitched last year or in the WBC this year.

Does Jose go on the DL? Bullpen?

Great question. I have no clue whether this would help the situation at all. If his command is lacking and he can't throw a breaking ball for a strike, the bullpen doesn't sound like a great option either. As Hawk and Steve Stone say, he is a "one pitch" pitcher right now and everybody is teeing off on him. Perhaps he'll agree to go to Charlotte and get some innings in AAA where he can't hurt the big league club. If he finds his command, then great -- the Sox have another pitcher that they can't count on now. If he can't find his command, then his career with the Sox (and maybe with anyone else) is probably over. If that's it, he had a nice run with the Sox and led them to a World Championship. Not too bad.

I know the Sox want Contreras to work with Don Cooper. Giving up a roster spot seems like a high price to pay, though. You know, maybe the DL makes the most sense, after all.

TomBradley72
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
So in our total organization we basically have 3 decent starting pitchers, followed by Colon and then no one else at the major league level, AAA or AA.

Those Kenny Williams/Chuck Norris threads seem like a hundred years ago.
The wasteland of our minor league system, outside of Beckham and some DH/1B types at Birmingham, is pretty alarming.

BadBobbyJenks
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I would give Broadway the first shot. He has been waiting a long time for this opportunity. My next choice would be Torres.

Give Broadway a shot at what exactly? No where near the Sox rotation I hope.

oeo
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
So if Richard gets promoted to the rotation, are we really going to go with 1 lefty in the bullpen?

Ozzie hasn't used either of them in a lefty role, anyway. Thornton has basically been a set up man when he comes in, and Richard has been a long reliever.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
If I were the Sox, I'd give Whisler, Torres, or Broadway a look. Carrasco is great out of the pen as a long reliever, and Richard has not impressed me. I'm sure by the end of the season, Poreda will be up here.

DirtySox
05-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I will also echo those that don't want Broadway anywhere near the rotation.

I think Clayton will end up starting.

DirtySox
05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
So in our total organization we basically have 3 decent starting pitchers, followed by Colon and then no one else at the major league level, AAA or AA.

Poreda is in AA. But there isn't much else. You might be able to make a case for Ely, but we don't have anyone else in AAA or AA that is knocking on the door climbing into any top prospect lists. The farm system is improved but there is alot more that still needs to be done. We do have some intriguing young arms in A, High-A, and soon to be rookie ball, but those are a ways away. Thankfully the draft is creeping up on us and I'd imagine we use those picks we collected on an abundance of pitching.

ramblinsoxfan11
05-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I've never heard of Torres but his stats are pretty impressive in AAA. I say bring him up as a reliever and give Clayton Richards the 5th starting spot, but throw in Torres after the 5th or 6th inning. Broadway has been pitching pretty awful so far, I do not think he deserves the spot

Domeshot17
05-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Clayton Richard has a career era of 5.63, Richard has a 4.41 ERA this year, Richard over his career has a 1.58 WHIP and an Opponents BA of over .309

Lance Broadway has a career era of 4.45 Broadway has a 4.50 ERA this year Broadway over his career has a 1.62 WHIP and an Opponents BA of .282

So Richard has earned his rotation opportunity, but Broadway hasn't ?

I guess I don't get the love for Richard. The guy is a career loogy. Look at his splits. 2.5 era vs LHB and high 5 vs righties. Righties have a 922 OPS against him. The writing is on the wall.

Broadway, its time to see if he can put it together. He was a former first rounder, we passed up some BIG talent to draft him, its time to give him a real shot, 4-5 starts in a row see how he holds it together.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Give Broadway a shot at what exactly? No where near the Sox rotation I hope.

I'd give Broadway a shot before your choice--oh wait, you did not advance any ideas, original or otherwise.

Last time I checked, Broadway is on the 25-man roster and if they aren't going to use him as a starter they may as well get rid of him. They should find out what they have in him and move on.

soxfan43
05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Wasn't this the role that Marquez was supposed to fill? Sox really need to add some pitching to go with the hitting prospects on the farm.

Jim Shorts
05-09-2009, 03:25 PM
The AL Central is wide open. I would go for it. Vote for Pedro. Our bullpen is decent enough. Solidify the starting rotation and we are in great shape.

I'd like the offense to start clicking on at least half their cyclinders before I would say 'great shape'

DonnieDarko
05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Agreed on the offense. It's maddingly inconsistent. Then again...when the offense seems to fail, the pitching also seems to bomb. Maybe guys are giving up after the pitching staff gives up 4-5 runs or something? Or, well, not giving up, but perhaps feeling so despondent that they can't hit at their best?

PalehosePlanet
05-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Those Kenny Williams/Chuck Norris threads seem like a hundred years ago.
The wasteland of our minor league system, outside of Beckham and some DH/1B types at Birmingham, is pretty alarming.

Our BA ranking came up this year from 28th to 16th. The system is getting stronger, Rome wasn't built in a day, so have a little patience.

We do have some possible starters in A ball (Hudson and Carter) that could have a bright future. Unfortunately there is nothing that can make an immediate impact on the mound, but to say that other than Beckham and a couple of DH/1b types is the only thing we have is wrong.

I also, like some other posters have mentioned, would leave DJ where he is. He is doing a great job there and as of right now our bullpen is the strength of the team, so don't mess with it.

For now: I'd be willing to give anyone but Broadway a shot.

DonnieDarko
05-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Those prospects that people seem so high on in A and AA...how old are they? How far away from the majors are they?

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Late to the thread, but I'll still chime in...

I understand that will make it a bit more difficult managing the bullpen, as there would only be one southpaw in the staff; but, I'd want Richard to get the opportunity since he seems to have the calmest composure of the possible options.

DirtySox
05-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Poreda and Torres both pitching tonight so it probably won't be them. I'm gonna guess its Broadway taking into consideration the Indians lineup.

slavko
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I'd give Broadway a shot before your choice--oh wait, you did not advance any ideas, original or otherwise.

Last time I checked, Broadway is on the 25-man roster and if they aren't going to use him as a starter they may as well get rid of him. They should find out what they have in him and move on.

I've reacted to what my eyeballs tell me about Lance by jumping to the conclusion that he's never, ever, going to be any good. Teach him another pitch, forkball, palmball, splitter, etc and I might change my mind. He isn't a power arm, for certain.

DirtySox
05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Sox would rather send Contreras to the minors than the bullpen. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-10-white-sox-brite-chicago-may10,0,6398581.story)

chisox77
05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Lance Broadway

DonnieDarko
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Sox would rather send Contreras to the minors than the bullpen. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-10-white-sox-brite-chicago-may10,0,6398581.story)

Richard, Ozzie is thinking of? Hmmm...

chisoxfan4life
05-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Colon and Pedro in the same rotation?! If only it was 7 years ago. Add Thome into the mix, bring back Griffey and Conseco, and you can field half a late 90s All-Star team.

SoxGirl4Life
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Coop says Contreras is going down to Triple-A on the pre-game show. Levine also reporting it, albeit the same source.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

DrCrawdad
05-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Clayton Richard has a career era of 5.63, Richard has a 4.41 ERA this year, Richard over his career has a 1.58 WHIP and an Opponents BA of over .309

Lance Broadway has a career era of 4.45 Broadway has a 4.50 ERA this year Broadway over his career has a 1.62 WHIP and an Opponents BA of .282

So Richard has earned his rotation opportunity, but Broadway hasn't ?

I guess I don't get the love for Richard. The guy is a career loogy. Look at his splits. 2.5 era vs LHB and high 5 vs righties. Righties have a 922 OPS against him. The writing is on the wall.

Broadway, its time to see if he can put it together. He was a former first rounder, we passed up some BIG talent to draft him, its time to give him a real shot, 4-5 starts in a row see how he holds it together.

I imagine IF they give Broadway a shot it will be one or two starts. Anything less that a "quality start" and he'll be sent away.

35th and Shields
05-11-2009, 01:48 AM
I imagine IF they give Broadway a shot it will be one or two starts. Anything less that a "quality start" and he'll be sent away.

Unfortunately very true. I can understand Ozzie not trusting young guys and the like but if he could instill in the young guys the confidence that he does with washed-up veterans maybe some these guys could relax a little bit and not look to the dugout after every hit they give up or worry about one bad outing.