PDA

View Full Version : Harrelson and Stone Whining About the Schedule

Brian26
05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Did I hear this correctly?

:hawk
"Yessir, I'm glad that game got cancelled yesterday after such a late flight coming out of Kansas City."

What? The game yesterday was scheduled to start at 7:11pm. I don't care if the flight took four hours from KC and they didn't touch down until 6am. You're telling me that doesn't give the team enough time to get home and still get ten hours of sleep comfortably before a night game? It's not like it was a noon start time.

And then Stone mentioned that the schedule is set up for that to happen seven times this year, but obviously Stone was talking about a day game after a night game...not a night game after a night game.

Hawk = :kukoo:

Marqhead
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm hoping Hawk is allowed to drift into his senile state while remaining on the air. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Bobby Thigpen
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm hoping Hawk is allowed to drift into his senile state while remaining on the air. It just seems like the right thing to do.
He will officially be the new Harry Carray then.

canOcorn
05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Did I hear this correctly?

"Yessir, I'm glad that game got cancelled yesterday after such a late flight coming out of Kansas City."

What? The game yesterday was scheduled to start at 7:11pm. I don't care if the flight took four hours from KC and they didn't touch down until 6am. You're telling me that doesn't give the team enough time to get home and still get ten hours of sleep comfortably before a night game? It's not like it was a noon start time.

And then Stone mentioned that the schedule is set up for that to happen seven times this year, but obviously Stone was talking about a day game after a night game...not a night game after a night game.

You heard correct. Hawk has become a tool of the team. It's embarrassing to hear him speak.

hi im skot
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
In Hawk's defense, it was a pretty long, exhausting game.

The Sox are struggling right now. I don't think anyone on the team will complain about an extra day of rest.

:shrug:

doublem23
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm sure even in Hawk's day that travel like that probably did take it's toll on athletes, but come on... These guys travel in total luxury nowadays. It's not like they're flying coach into Midway.

90-minute flight, no time zone changes. Didn't seem to phase Buehrle one bit. :cool:

GlassSox
05-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm sure even in Hawk's day that travel like that probably did take it's toll on athletes, but come on... These guys travel in total luxury nowadays. It's not like they're flying coach into Midway.

90-minute flight, no time zone changes. Didn't seem to phase Buehrle one bit. :cool:

Yea flying with Wright brothers was not the lap of luxury. :cool:

Ranger
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM

10 hours? No. I didn't hear this conversation, but if a plane gets in at 6am, they are probably not getting to their homes 'til 7 or 7:30. And for a 7pm game, they get there at 2 or 3...some guys get there by 1pm depending on the kind of pregame work they do. They aren't strolling in at 5pm like some think.

Not telling you to feel sorry for them, just telling you that they aren't getting close to 10 hours of sleep.

LoveYourSuit
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
10 hours? No. I didn't hear this conversation, but if a plane gets in at 6am, they are probably not getting to their homes 'til 7 or 7:30. And for a 7pm game, they get there at 2 or 3...some guys get there by 1pm depending on the kind of pregame work they do. They aren't strolling in at 5pm like some think.

Not telling you to feel sorry for them, just telling you that they aren't getting close to 10 hours of sleep.

5 hours of sleep to play a damn baseball game? Ask a factory worker making the minimum how many hours they sleep and for ****ty pay.

Professional athletes bitching (assuming they were bitching) about travel and sleep sicken me. In this case, maybe it's just Hawk acting like the company mouthpiece once again. Maybe he couldn't get his 18 holes in at Bolingbrook.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
In this case, maybe it's just Hawk acting like the company mouthpiece once again. Maybe he couldn't get his 18 holes in at Bolingbrook.

Or you know us old farts, if its not our health, food prices or the weather, its how we didn't sleep well. Complaining is our way of life.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
5 hours of sleep to play a damn baseball game? Ask a factory worker making the minimum how many hours they sleep and for ****ty pay.

Professional athletes bitching (assuming they were bitching) about travel and sleep sicken me. In this case, maybe it's just Hawk acting like the company mouthpiece once again. Maybe he couldn't get his 18 holes in at Bolingbrook.Those factory workers aren't competing against another group of factory workers who have had enough sleep. There's no question it would have been a disadvantage.

Ranger
05-08-2009, 12:50 AM

Professional athletes bitching (assuming they were bitching) about travel and sleep sicken me. In this case, maybe it's just Hawk acting like the company mouthpiece once again. Maybe he couldn't get his 18 holes in at Bolingbrook.

As I said before, in what I believe to be a coherent and clearly-worded statement, nobody is asking you to feel sorry for them. I have sympathy for those that work hazardous jobs for low pay, as my father did.

But Nellie pretty much made the point: when you are in competition against a group of people that is well-rested and intent on preventing you from succeeding, having a little less sleep can be a disadvantage. Tired people tend to "go through the motions" when they're at work...whatever their job is. Going through the motions in sports will probably cost you a game.

In the overall picture of life, it's not a big deal to lose a few hours of sleep and have to go to work the next day when your job is playing a baseball game. Nobody here is too dumb to understand that. Relax, Suit.

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2009, 01:05 AM
As I said before, in what I believe to be a coherent and clearly-worded statement, nobody is asking you to feel sorry for them. I have sympathy for those that work hazardous jobs for low pay, as my father did.

But Nellie pretty much made the point: when you are in competition against a group of people that is well-rested and intent on preventing you from succeeding, having a little less sleep can be a disadvantage. Tired people tend to "go through the motions" when they're at work...whatever their job is. Going through the motions in sports will probably cost you a game.

In the overall picture of life, it's not a big deal to lose a few hours of sleep and have to go to work the next day when your job is playing a baseball game. Nobody here is too dumb to understand that. Relax, Suit.

It just dissapoints me when this topic (regarding travel) is always brought up. It's only one game of 162. If it affects you versus the competition for that one game, then let it be. To me, it shouldn't be used as an excuse. There is a good chance the Sox will face an opponent next week or in two weeks that has a "rough" travel schedule. I have never heard Hawk ever point that out.

Keep in mind too that the only team to have beat the Sox in the '05 play off run was the Angels game 1 of the ALCS. The Angels must of had one of the worst travel schedules I could ever recall for a post season series (vs the Yankees). But they still came in and took care of business that night against us.

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Those factory workers aren't competing against another group of factory workers who have had enough sleep. There's no question it would have been a disadvantage.

They definately have competition every day they punch in at that assembly line. That competition is their manager. They have to perform for him.

MISoxfan
05-08-2009, 02:44 AM
If your boss is competing against you then he's not doing his job.

Ranger
05-08-2009, 03:28 AM
It just dissapoints me when this topic (regarding travel) is always brought up. It's only one game of 162. If it affects you versus the competition for that one game, then let it be. To me, it shouldn't be used as an excuse. There is a good chance the Sox will face an opponent next week or in two weeks that has a "rough" travel schedule. I have never heard Hawk ever point that out.

Keep in mind too that the only team to have beat the Sox in the '05 play off run was the Angels game 1 of the ALCS. The Angels must of had one of the worst travel schedules I could ever recall for a post season series (vs the Yankees). But they still came in and took care of business that night against us.

Yes, the Angels did have a disadvantage. For the entire series. They likely got by in game one on adrenaline alone. I'm sure it caught up to them by game 3.

Ranger
05-08-2009, 03:29 AM
They definately have competition every day they punch in at that assembly line. That competition is their manager. They have to perform for him.

That is one hell of a stretch.

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I have always felt that no team should play a night game on get-away day. Someone said that the Sox probably got in at 6am and would get 10 hours sleep. From my experience back in the day in the USAF I worked the midnight shift and never got the proper sleep during the day.
What if a team runs into a weather delay on the way home, and gets in at say noon on game day, that team is not going to perform at the best they can and the fans get cheated.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM

I'm not sure if your familiar with modern labor laws, but I can assure you that things are a little better than they were in the '20s.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
If your boss is competing against you then he's not doing his job.

Bingo. The "us vs. them" mentality went out a LONG time ago.

Jpgr91
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Bingo. The "us vs. them" mentality went out a LONG time ago.

I would disagree. There are a lot of businesses that are subject to a CBA where the "us vs. them mentality" is still very previlent. Look at the relationship between the MLBPA and MLB as an example.

ChiSoxFan81
05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Ugh. It sounds like when the Scrubs complain about all their day games. If there is concern about guys being sapped, let the manager rest some guys. It's not like every other team doens't have these situations.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I would disagree. There are a lot of businesses that are subject to a CBA where the "us vs. them mentality" is still very previlent. Look at the relationship between the MLBPA and MLB as an example.

Millionaires arguing with billionaires never makes my radar screen. I'm talking about the day to day work environment.

asindc
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Their manager is on the same team with them. Bad analogy.

If you expect guys to perform (no matter the profession) just as well as with 5 hours sleep as they would with their normal 7-9 hours sleep, then your expectations are unrealistic. By the way, have you ever heard any players complain about this?

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Their manager is on the same team with them. Bad analogy.

If you expect guys to perform (no matter the profession) just as well as with 5 hours sleep as they would with their normal 7-9 hours sleep, then your expectations are unrealistic. By the way, have you ever heard any players complain about this?

No.

That's why I'm thinking Hawk was just being a company mouthpiece once again.

kobo
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Or it's just Hawk being Hawk.

ChiSoxFan81
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Or it's just Hawk being Hawk.

"Dadgum right this schedule's gonna be played under protest!"

Jpgr91
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Millionaires arguing with billionaires never makes my radar screen. I'm talking about the day to day work environment.

It does exist in the day to day work environment. I have worked in situations where union reps have pressured employees to find reasons to file grievances because the employees in that particular unit of the business had the lowest amount of grievances in the business. You can find examples of acrimonious labor situations everywhere, from the FOP's dispute with the City of Chicago, to the recent plant closure of Republic Windows, to constant finger pointing going on with the situation going on with the automakers.

AZChiSoxFan
05-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Did someone actually say the flight got in at 6 AM? Just doing the math, I don't see how it could have been that late. The game ended at around 11:45, right? Leave the stadium by 12:45, at the airport at 1:30, flight leaves at 2 or 2:30, into Chicago at 4 AM. What did I miss?

Cry me a river for these guys.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Did someone actually say the flight got in at 6 AM? Just doing the math, I don't see how it could have been that late. The game ended at around 11:45, right? Leave the stadium by 12:45, at the airport at 1:30, flight leaves at 2 or 2:30, into Chicago at 4 AM. What did I miss?

I have no idea what Hawk is babbling about, the Sox charter flight got into Midway at 2:20 AM Wednesday morning.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9904

It's just Hawk being Hawk.

TealTank
05-08-2009, 11:31 AM

You really don't what players have to do after the game. There is no way a team leaves leaves the ballpark, an hour after the game.

The players need to do interviews, yes, not all players are interviewed but if one or two players have long interviews, the bus isn't going to go without them.

Of course get showered and dressed.

Teams leaves at least 1 1/2 hours.

Plus you didn't factor in possible weather issues that may have delayed the flight.

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
a three page thread on this?

doublem23
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
a three page thread on this?

Can you think of anything else to complain about after yesterday's game?

eriqjaffe
05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Can you think of anything else to complain about after yesterday's game?Fields and Quentin went a combined 0-8 and stranded 6 runners?

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Can you think of anything else to complain about after yesterday's game?

Silly me, thinking we could just enjoy yesterday's game :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
No, I don't have a lot of sympathy, and Hawk is whining and it's not cool.

But that doesn't mean MLB schedule-maker are blameless. In fact, I think they are incredibly stupid.

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I have no idea what Hawk is babbling about, the Sox charter flight got into Midway at 2:20 AM Wednesday morning.

That's a cool find. How did you know about this site and how did you know about the White Sox flight number?

It's Dankerific
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
But that doesn't mean MLB schedule-maker are blameless. In fact, I think they are incredibly stupid.

Its a computer. It can't be incredibly stupid.

The problems started when they went from real life couple to computer.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
That's a cool find. How did you know about this site and how did you know about the White Sox flight number?

Somebody posted that link in a thread here earlier this year. It's very cool. Though I'm not 100% sure that's the Sox's charter, if it's not then that plane follows them around quite a bit.

lukeman89
05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
people can sleep while traveling. i doubt the white sox get coach plane tickets

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Its a computer. It can't be incredibly stupid.

The problems started when they went from real life couple to computer.

The computer still has to be programmed. And its programmers are commanded by MLB to schedule all interleague play into June (sometimes late May), and lots of intra-division games in April. Royals-Pirates isn't going to draw well no matter when it's played. So why waste that kind of series on a weekend in June in Pittsburgh when the weather is nice and the kids are out of school? Why not have Pittsburgh utilize that weekend to play a big NL Central rival who will draw more fans, like the Cards or Cubs?

It's fine to have the A's and Angels playing one another in early April. But it's pretty stupid to have the Sox, Tigers and Indians - all cold weather outdoor teams - playing one another that early. It's a recipe for rainouts and weather-driven low attendance. And why have the Twins and Blue Jays visit the Sox in April? Stupid.

For the cold weather teams that train in Arizona, why not let them frequently open the season on the road against West divison teams, regardless of league? For the cold weather teams that train in Florida, why not let them frequently open on the road against warm-weather East division teams, regardless of league? This ought to save some travel costs, too.

Be smarter about road trips in general: How about longer but fewer West coast road trips for East Coast/Midwest teams, and thus longer but fewer East Coast/Midwest trips for West Coast teams? Let teams that are scheduled to play the other league's Western division in interleague combine their annual trips out west with their interleague trip. (For instance, in such years the Sox would make just two West Coast trips, something like this: TEX-LAA-LAD-OAK and ARIZ-OAK-SEA?). When teams are scheduled to visit both teams in a two-team market (Chicago, NY, WAS-BAL, SF-OAK, LA) in a season, why not let them spend a week in that city instead of two separate visits? MLB already does something like this when they schedule a team to visit both the Yankees and Red Sox on one trip. So why not have that team also visit the Mets during the same trip (if they are scheduled to visit the Mets that year)? Or have a team visit both the Rangers and Astros, or Marlins and Rays, in one fell swoop.

MLB officials are stupid. They give stupid instructions to the programmers, who put those instructions into the schedule-making computer programs.

Just by being a little more flexible with interleague play, and more creative with scheduling, MLB could generate a 5-10% attendance boost and save travel costs.

thedudeabides
05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
It really shouldn't be that big of a deal and Hawk was probably complaining because he was going to get to bed late. He's getting up there.

I think the basis of his complaint is that teams used to play a lot of day games on getaway day. And if there is unforeseen issues like a long extra inning game, or weather delays while traveling it can wear on players. Teams don't like midweek day games this time of year because of unpredictable weather and kids still being in school. This causes lower attendance. As the summer moves on, you'll see more day games on getaway day.

And someone said to blame it on the schedule makers, but that is not really their fault.(Albeit it is a computer) Kansas City could have made it a day game, but probably decided against it for said attendance reasons. All teams have their choice of game times, with some exceptions. Like the Cubs having restrictions on number of night games.

shingo10
05-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Hawk could say that it's a beautiful day out and there would be a 10 page thread complaining about him having the nerve to say such a thing. Those who have a problem should stick to the radio.

As far as the schedule goes, I don't think anyone on the Sox is or will be using it as an excuse.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
people can sleep while traveling.I can't. I once had a 22 hour flight; I didn't sleep a wink. Can't sleep on a plane. I'm not nervous or scared, just can't do it for some reason.

thepaulbowski
05-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I can't. I once had a 22 hour flight; I didn't sleep a wink. Can't sleep on a plane. I'm not nervous or scared, just can't do it for some reason.

Ditto. I can't sleep in anything that is moving for some reason. It is acutally quite annoying.

Konerko05
05-08-2009, 03:36 PM
For me, riding in a plane is second to sitting in a dentist chair in terms of uncomfortablness.

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
For me, riding in a plane is second to sitting in a dentist chair in terms of uncomfortablness.
You got that right!

asindc
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
people can sleep while traveling. i doubt the white sox get coach plane tickets

Traveling frequently for business can be a mental and physical strain, especially when your schedule is thrown off. It's not as simple as lying back in a first class seat and going nighty-night. After all, it's home sweet home for a reason.

SOXSINCE'70
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
He will officially be the new Harry Caray then.

Had to fix it for you.One too many "R's" in Caray.

Hawk could be Harry minus the Falstaff (or was it Stroh's).:gulp:

Brian26
05-08-2009, 08:51 PM
This was bugging me after I wrote it yesterday, so I just went through the schedule to check what Stone said regarding the get-away days.

I was incorrect in assuming he was talking about day games after a night game. He was indeed talikng about night games on get-away day before another night game. There are seven on the schedule, just as he said.

So, props to Stone-

1- @ Balt April 23 night/vs. Tor April 24 night
2- @ Tex May 3 night/@ KC May 4 night
3- @ KC May 5 night/vs. Det May 6 night
4- @ Clev July 1 night/@ KC July 2 night
5- @ Minn July 29 night/vs NYY July 30 night
6- @ Bos Aug 27 night/@ NYY Aug 28 night
7- @ Sea Sept 17 night (5:40 CT)/vs. KC Sept 18 night

However, with that said, the longest flight of those seven is the last one (Seattle to KC), and that might be the reason for the 5:40 start.

KingXerxes
05-08-2009, 09:17 PM

"Mercy..........well I don't know about all the players, but I had to catch the Ol' 2:18 Delaware Lackawanna and Western Express in Kansas City, switch to the Ol' Baltimore and Ohio Eastern Zephyr in Joplin, had a layover in Keokuck, and then boarded the Ol' Burlington & Quincy which broke down in Dixon, caught the New York Central into Dearborn Street Station after that, and then had to catch a cab to the game............I got there when they were singing the National Anthem - and I was goll durned tired."

oldcomiskey
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
they have 7 day games after a get away day with no day off. Thats reason to complain oif you ask me. And historically the Sox have had some "wonderous" schedules over the years. So much so that Larry Himes used to complain about it too

tick53
05-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I'll gladly change jobs with either one of them.