PDA

View Full Version : Management Approval Ratings: Don Cooper

doublem23
05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Simple yes or no question, do you approve of the job that Don Cooper is doing as pitching coach of the White Sox?

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, although I think he takes a lot less heat when the pitching goes south then Walker does with the hitting.

We have seen him take guys like Danks further in their careers. I wish he could help guys like Contreras, and I am worried about Floyd, but we'll see.

Again i like Grades better the pass fail, I would give Coop a B- this year and a B since 2006

voodoochile
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm waiting for the crappy excuses for voting no on this one...

oeo
05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes, although I think he takes a lot less heat when the pitching goes south then Walker does with the hitting.

That's because Coop has a history of successful reclamation projects. What has Walker done? His approach to coaching is to just sit back and see what happens. If he can get Lillibridge to shorten up his swing and get him to do what he's capable of, I will give him some credit. I doubt that happens...we'll just see the same 'ole crap all year.

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
That's because Coop has a history of successful reclamation projects. What has Walker done? His approach to coaching is to just sit back and see what happens. If he can get Lillibridge to shorten up his swing and get him to do what he's capable of, I will give him some credit. I doubt that happens...we'll just see the same 'ole crap all year.

I don't disagree, but I also notice that most of Coops "reclamation projects" are 1 year Wonders. Garland had 1 good year, Floyd is looking that way, Loaiza, even Jose has only had about 1.5 good years under Coop.

I mean I agree, Coop has earned much more benefit of the doubt, but in theory we should just be signing pitchers to 1 year deals.

oeo
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't disagree, but I also notice that most of Coops "reclamation projects" are 1 year Wonders. Garland had 1 good year, Floyd is looking that way, Loaiza, even Jose has only had about 1.5 good years under Coop.

Floyd is looking that way after a month? I know the stat heads "predicted" this (not really, just said he would have a drop off), but count me as someone that thinks he will bounce back.

As for guys like Garland and Loaiza, they don't have the talent to sustain success. Without some key injuries, and the age problem, Contreras would have had more success.

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Floyd is looking that way after a month? I know the stat heads "predicted" this (not really, just said he would have a drop off), but count me as someone that thinks he will bounce back.

As for guys like Garland and Loaiza, they don't have the talent to sustain success. Without some key injuries, and the age problem, Contreras would have had more success.

Thus far, yes. Floyd is not commanding the zone at all. He is missing both in and out of the zone. I have not given up on him, but this was a big concern before the year.

and Contreras, maybe the Age, but Age hasn't taken anything off his pitches. And he wasn't hurt when he went from his great run to his terrible losing streak. It is just the way things worked out.

I guess that is what Im waiting to see from Coop. He can make a great adjustment to a guy, but when the league readjusts, how he handles that 2nd adjustment, especially with kids, is what we will show how elite he is.

oeo
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
and Contreras, maybe the Age, but Age hasn't taken anything off his pitches. And he wasn't hurt when he went from his great run to his terrible losing streak. It is just the way things worked out.

First, yes, age has taken some mph off his fastball. Secondly, he did have injury problems. After carrying on his success from the end of 2005, he went on the DL in early May of 2006. He wasn't really the same again until early 2008, where afterwards he again had injury problems.

I guess that is what Im waiting to see from Coop. He can make a great adjustment to a guy, but when the league readjusts, how he handles that 2nd adjustment, especially with kids, is what we will show how elite he is.Who's to say they have the talent to get through a '2nd adjustment'? Garland and Loaiza did not have that type of talent, and their careers to that point showed it.

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
First, yes, age has taken some mph off his fastball. Secondly, he did have injury problems. After carrying on his success from the end of 2005, he went on the DL in early May of 2006. He wasn't really the same again until early 2008, where afterwards he again had injury problems.

Who's to say they have the talent to get through a '2nd adjustment'? Garland and Loaiza did not have that type of talent, and their careers to that point showed it.

What was he sitting before the injury? I remember him sitting 94-96 during the losing streak. I did forget about the trip the dl, what was it again, oblique? I cant remember

And I agree on Loaiza and Garland just not being good enough to readjust, he got the max out of them. It is Danks and Floyd I am more curious with.
Danks is the first Sox pitcher since Freddy Garcia with the capability to be a true number 1 SP. If Coop can get him there, it will be great for all.

asindc
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM

I agree with this. If any pitcher that left the Sox in the past few years (heck, going back to the early 90s, for that matter) had more success with their new teams, then maybe I would buy the "one-year wonder" argument. As it stands, though, Coop seems to get the max out of many guys that other teams don't.

Paulwny
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
The only problem I have with Coop's teaching ability, with the exception of JD and MB none of our pitchers know how to hold a runner on.
Stolen bases against the sox are embarrassing.

SoxGirl4Life
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Really, who has anything bad to say about Coop?

wilburaga
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Coop's great. When I think of the pantheon of all time White Sox pitching coaches, I think of Ray Berres, Johnny Sain, and yes, Coop.

W

nasox
05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
No votes! Explain thyself.

ramblinsoxfan11
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Coopers done a great job with the Sox since he's been here, although the pitching lately has been sub-par I would not place the blame on him. Besides, it's still early in the season. Plenty of time for Floyd and Danks to calm down and throw the heat. I'm not sure if there's anything Coop can do about Contreras though...

HomeFish
05-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Coop is so useless! He only performs miracles SOME of the time!.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2009, 01:47 AM
I can't wait for the day when they give Coop a pitcher that he doesn't have to make into chicken salad.

BringBackBlkJack
05-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Coop is amazing. The only pitching coach that I can think of that comes close to being as good is Leo Mazzone in the Braves' heyday. I really think we take him for granted sometimes.

Also, Coop is awesome with the fans. I met him and got his autograph, along with Scotty Pods....... and Alex Cintron (anyone know how to remove Sharpie from a baseball? :redneck)

KMcMahon817
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM

What about Carlos? AZ basically gave him away, I doubt they thought he was going to put 36 in the bleachers in 08. Maybe Walker had something to do with that? Maybe not..

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Throughout his tenure, Sox pitchers have performed well, especially considering just how easy it is to hit the ball out of the park at the Cell.

soxinem1
05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Should Coop get a statue??

FielderJones
05-09-2009, 12:45 AM
What about Carlos? AZ basically gave him away, I doubt they thought he was going to put 36 in the bleachers in 08. Maybe Walker had something to do with that? Maybe not..

That's heresy! When a player has good at bats it is due to his own work. Bad at bats are all Walker's fault.

oeo
05-09-2009, 12:47 AM

You think he made big changes to Carlos in a couple of weeks?

That's heresy! When a player has good at bats it is due to his own work. Bad at bats are all Walker's fault.

Walker says it himself...he just sits back and let's the player work through it. AFTER 2006, he comes out and talks about Anderson's problems; no need to fix them during the season, right? And yet, Anderson still has some of the same issues he had three years ago. Said he was going to wait back on Alexei, but Alexei made the adjustments on his own.

You can't argue with the inconsistencies of this offense for the past 5+ seasons. These are not bad hitters. We have power hitters, but it's not like they're all or nothing types, other than Thome. Why can't this offense ever have a level of consistency? We'll rip off a couple of weeks of tearing the cover off the ball and follow it up with a few weeks of corpseball. Isn't it the hitting coach's job to have his guys ready for the particular pitcher that night? To get them to keep it simple instead of getting into the habit of swinging for the fences? If not, what the hell is he for?

dickallen15
05-09-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm waiting for the crappy excuses for voting no on this one...

The starting rotation, minus Buerhle has a collective ERA near 6.50. If its Walker's fault Brent Lillibridge can't hit, or a team that had Dewayne Wise leading off opening day, can't score runs, shouldn't it be Cooper's fault if Gavin Floyd leads the league in walks? If its Walker's fault a guy hits with nobody on base but can't hit sour apples with RISP, isn't it Cooper's fault if a pitcher can't pitch with men on base, or pitch over errors or hold a guy on base?

Personally, I don't have a problem with either coach, but I find it laughable Cooper has an over 90% "approval rating" and Walker should be shown the door according to this board. If the White Sox lose a game 12-0, its all on Walker but "Coop with fix him".

Everyone knows the White Sox have been shutout 5 times and blame Walker. What about the 6 games they gave up 8 or more runs? Shouldn't that fall on Cooper?