PDA

View Full Version : Will we be buyers or sellers at the break?

soxyess
05-07-2009, 08:39 AM
If you would have asked me a week ago I would definately said that we will be buyers at the All Star Break. Lately, however, Ive become less confident. With Gavin and Jose's pitching woes, and Danks suddenly starting to struggle, Im more concerned with our starting pitching than our inconsistant hitting. The team with the best pitching will win the Central. Our lineup, even with its short commings, can compete with the rest of the division. The starting pitching scares me. I still think we will be buyers, but im less confident.

Huisj
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Danks has had 2 lousy starts in a row. Before that, his ERA was under 1 through his first 3 starts. You're going to chuck the whole season for him because he had two rough starts one month in and 3 dominant ones?

This is almost as silly as the person in the game thread the other day stating that it's clear that Quentin is a bust because he BA had dropped to .233.

voodoochile
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
It's...

May...

7th...

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Sellers, but not because of Danks. Danks and Burls I trust, but Floyd looks terrible, and it is exactly what a lot of us had concerns about with him last year. Guys who rely on the hook as much as he does generally do not have consistently good and steady years. His control is off, and he misses in the zone a lot, which is not good. He leads the team in Ks but his K:BB isn't good. Contreras ERA is almost as big as Colon, and Colon has been hit or miss. You can live with a 4 era and a 500 record out of the 5th slot, its fine actually, but 2-6 with an ERA nearly 8 for Floyd and Contreras combined, with absolutely no one to plug into rotation besides them, puts us in a world of trouble.

Hopefully we can turn it around, but if you had to guess, all signs point to selling unless we somehow Gel together

cws05champ
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I just have a bad feeling that we'll be sellers. I predicted before the season we would be around a .500 team, and nothing I have seen so far would make me waver from that. I always got the feeling KW was playing for 2010 instead of this year.

If Ortiz continues his struggles in Boston I can see Thome or Dye going there. Dotel, Colon would probably be dealt somewhere and Konerko would at least be explored if there was interest.

Metalthrasher442
05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I would like to see one of our slower power hitters going to a team for a pitcher.

dickallen15
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
They certainly aren't going to take on any payroll, but should be in contention, so I don't think they will be selling. Its not like teams will want to pick up high priced guys for good prospects any more, and the cheaper guys the White Sox want to hold on to. So my prediction is no major additions or subtractions.

ChiSoxFan81
05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Can we suspend this thread until July 1st?

kittle42
05-07-2009, 10:04 AM
It's impossible to be buyers when the products cost a dollar and you only have 50 cents.

Domeshot17
05-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I would like to see one of our slower power hitters going to a team for a pitcher.

I don't mind dealing a Thome or a Dye, but I hate this line of thought. Find me many good teams with speed 3-4-5. Most sluggers are not fast. You can live with no speed 3-6. Its not having speed 1-2-7-8-9 that will hurt you more.

Metalthrasher442
05-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't mind dealing a Thome or a Dye, but I hate this line of thought. Find me many good teams with speed 3-4-5. Most sluggers are not fast. You can live with no speed 3-6. Its not having speed 1-2-7-8-9 that will hurt you more.

Yeah we are slow 3-7. We could more decent speed.

oeo
05-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Don't you know that we should have 5-tool players at every position? Why don't we have a BJ Upton??

russ99
05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Who would we sell?

I don't see teams trading anything of value for Thome's $15M salary even if he steps it up and performs at his usual level, and assuming Thome leaves this offseason, Dye becomes DH, and the Sox either exercise his $12M option or sign him to an extension for a little less for 2-3 years.

Contreras, Colon, Dotel and Miller, are our FA's at the end of the season. Dotel may have trade value, but the others won't. If we're contending then Dotel has more value to us than anyone we'd get back.

If we're contending at the deadline I see Kenny buying, especially if the economy shows real signs of improvement. Most likely he'll be shopping for a top-2 starter for the long-term (Oswalt, Peavy, Halliday?) and also maybe a CF, depending on how the in-house options are doing.

jdm2662
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Um, can we at least wait until the end of June before making such post? Seriously, I didn't see anyone complaining after the Tampa series when they were one pitch away from sweeping a four game series. Why don't we post this when they go on a three game winning streak? Might as well since the boat gets rocked back and forth often.

Procol Harum
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
This team's about where I thought it would be--.500-ish. If anything, we'll probably be inclined to the sellers category by default at the very tail-end of the trading deadline. But I don't know exactly what--unless we just gave our future away--we have that would be very helpful for many teams at a suitable price.

fusionspill
05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Give it time, ozzie is building the team into something that will help a ton in the upcoming months left in the season. That I see no other team do much of when things go bad the last second.

russ99
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
This team's about where I thought it would be--.500-ish. If anything, we'll probably be inclined to the sellers category by default at the very tail-end of the trading deadline. But I don't know exactly what--unless we just gave our future away--we have that would be very helpful for many teams at a suitable price.

As always, the Sox are strong in low-to mid level pitching prospects. We don't have to move Poreda, Beckham, Flowers, Danks or Allen to get a good player in return. I'm sure that's who other teams will be asking for, but Kenny would be a fool to part with any of them.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The selling began this winter with Vazquez and Swisher. So why wouldn't it continue?

russ99
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
The selling began this winter with Vazquez and Swisher. So why wouldn't it continue?

Well, we're pretty much sold down. Other than Dye and Thome's future with the team being in the air (see other post) I can't see who we'd sell.

Konerko and Buehrle have NTC's, we have no ready replacement for A.J. and I really doubt we sell any of the younger players.

Huisj
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Don't you know that we should have 5-tool players at every position? Why don't we have a BJ Upton??

Haven't you heard? He's done. He's hitting .159 with no homers. Clearly overrated and washed up. A total bust.

Oh wait, he's not on the Sox you say? Well in that case, he's just off to a slow start.

oeo
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
To those that want to trade Dye: keep in mind that he will probably be a Type A free agent, which will likely get more value than in a trade at the deadline. Of course he could accept arbitration considering the way the market hit a cliff this year.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, we're pretty much sold down. Other than Dye and Thome's future with the team being in the air (see other post) I can't see who we'd sell.

Konerko and Buehrle have NTC's, we have no ready replacement for A.J. and I really doubt we sell any of the younger players.

Yes, with Dye and Thome in FA year, they wouldn't get much in return. Maybe Konerko or Buehrle will give up their NTC's for the right team.

Jenks may be a interesting candidate to sell tho.

asindc
05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
This thread was started at least a month too soon.

voodoochile
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
To those that want to trade Dye: keep in mind that he will probably be a Type A free agent, which will likely get more value than in a trade at the deadline. Of course he could accept arbitration considering the way the market hit a cliff this year.

There would be no point in offering/accepting arbitration instead of just agreeing to the mutual option for 2010.

oeo
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
There would be no point in offering/accepting arbitration instead of just agreeing to the mutual option for 2010.

I didn't even know the option existed.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
This thread was started at least a month too soon.

Or maybe about 4 months too late. After the Vazquez and Swisher trades a thread could have been started about when will the selling presume.

oeo
05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Or maybe about 4 months too late. After the Vazquez and Swisher trades a thread could have been started about when will the selling presume.

Or maybe you're way off?

asindc
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM

You might have said that about Iguchi and Garland before the 2008 season. As I recall, many folks saw the trading of Garland as the beginning of the downfall of the republic.

PalehosePlanet
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
The team loses four consecutive games and of course a thread like this pops up. How shocking!?

Can everyone please be patient? We were 18-20 last year before getting it together (and on a 10 game west coast trip no less!)

On the bright side: I see every team in our division, and in the AL in general, having signinficant bullpen issues. I think our top four of Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton is shaping up to be the best in the league. Also DJ is a solid swing man, and Clayton can also be a good one (though inconsistent thus far.)

As others have said, this thread should be revisited in six weeks or so.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
You might have said that about Iguchi and Garland before the 2008 season. As I recall, many folks saw the trading of Garland as the beginning of the downfall of the republic.

Iguchi was done. Garland wasn't a sell off because they received someone that could help the team immediately and didn't put money in the piggy bank as a result.

soxyess
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I dont think its too soon to examine this issue. There are some uncomfortable patterns developing on this team. I dont see Contreras turning things around, and he gets sent to the pen who takes his place? This wouldnt be that big of a problem if your top three pitchers were more consistant, but with Floyd looking like Floyd 2007, and Danks up and Down that leaves Buhrle as your most consistant starter, and you know that he will have his yearly slump as well. We do have some players that can probably bring back some solid returns. I can see the Yankees taking some of our pitching, and Williams will revisit the Konerko to the Angels trade.

soxyess
05-07-2009, 10:59 AM
The team loses four consecutive games and of course a thread like this pops up. How shocking!?

Can everyone please be patient? We were 18-20 last year before getting it together (and on a 10 game west coast trip no less!)

On the bright side: I see every team in our division, and in the AL in general, having signinficant bullpen issues. I think our top four of Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton is shaping up to be the best in the league. Also DJ is a solid swing man, and Clayton can also be a good one (though inconsistent thus far.)

Wasnt our biggest problem at this time last year pretty much limited to terrible hitting? Our pitching was much more consistant at this time last year.

Noneck
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Or maybe you're way off?
Maybe but we will see.

esbrechtel
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree that it is way too early for this talk....

Lets let things shake out a bit, could be worse we could be the Yanks right now who spent more money than god on pitching and are still getting shelled....

ChiWavDave
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure the answer to the question, if we will be buyers or sellers. But for those that say its too soon to talk about it. My thought would be if Kenny is having this conversation with his staff and in his mind (and you know that he is). Then whats wrong with us doing the same thing. I think its a fair question to ask of every team in baseball now that isn't on top of the division or in the cellar.

SCCWS
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I think our top four of Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton is shaping up to be the best in the league. Also DJ is a solid swing man, and Clayton can also be a good one (though inconsistent thus far.)

Our top 4 are not even close to Boston's top 4.

PalehosePlanet
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Our top 4 are not even close to Boston's top 4.

Really? Besides Papelbon you would take one of Okajima, Lopez, Delcarmen, Ramirez or Saito or over Thornton, Dotel or Linebrink?

Papelbon is better than Jenks, but that's about it. Look at the BoSox guys numbers this year and their career numbers and they are not even close.

Boy, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side huh?

palehozenychicty
05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
It's impossible to be buyers when the products cost a dollar and you only have 50 cents.

This is my favorite Kenny quote of all time. :tongue:

kittle42
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
This is my favorite Kenny quote of all time. :tongue:

It's the franchise motto - I believe they considered it before deciding on "FUNDAMENTALS" on top of that deck area.

PalehosePlanet
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
It's the franchise motto - I believe they considered it before deciding on "FUNDAMENTALS" on top of that deck area.

LOL!!

Hey didn't he go up to having 75 cents to spend for a while?