PDA

View Full Version : I suggest moving the Metrodome to Chicago.

FloridaTigers
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey, it'll be avaliable after this year. All these Tigers games are always rained out in Chicago. You guys are the Seattle of the mid-west. I propose moving Metrodome (or even Tropicana?) to Chicago. Hey, why not? No rain delays and you get the good home field advantage. :D:

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
:threadsucks

chisoxfanatic
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Did Timberwolf hack into his account?

JB98
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I suggest moving the Metrodome to North Aurora. Once it is here, I will burn it down and dance on the rubble.

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I suggest moving the Metrodome over one place, to the eighth circle of hell. BTW, I think the Vikings still need somewhere to play.

Or maybe we just move the Sox to Tampa.

soxnut1018
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey, it'll be avaliable after this year. All these Tigers games are always rained out in Chicago. You guys are the Seattle of the mid-west. I propose moving Metrodome (or even Tropicana?) to Chicago. Hey, why not? No rain delays and you get the good home field advantage. :D:

Yes because this team plays great in domes.

thomas35forever
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh boy. Someone's had too much to drink.

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes because this team plays great in domes.

Hey, we're 3-1 this year!

ChiSoxGirl
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I suggest moving the Metrodome to North Aurora. Once it is here, I will burn it down and dance on the rubble.

And I'll drive all the way out there from the northwest suburbs to join you!

Joosh
05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Now now, this Tigers fan seems rather harmless, if not nice.

He doesn't understand the fear a dome instills in the Chicago White Sox. :redneck

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I suggest moving the Metrodome over one place, to the eighth circle of hell. BTW, I think the Vikings still need somewhere to play.

The University of Minnesota is building themselves a shiny new stadium, they can play there.

FloridaTigers
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Now now, this Tigers fan seems rather harmless, if not nice.

He doesn't understand the fear a dome instills in the Chicago White Sox. :redneck

It benefits you guys. Tigers are horrible in the dome. Minnesota is out of the dome, and Chicago gets homefield advantage that other teams fear. Its a win-win, really.

;)

JB98
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
And I'll drive all the way out there from the northwest suburbs to join you!

However, I am afraid that I will have to charge admission for the ceremonial burning and rubble dance.

There are numerous people that would love to see the Metrodome meet its demise, and I intend to profit off this display.

We will be chanting, "The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers," during the ceremony.

chisoxfanatic
05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
We will be chanting, "The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers," during the ceremony.
Did you end up copyrighting that slogan yet?

JB98
05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Did you end up copyrighting that slogan yet?

Not yet. I should get around to doing that.

chisoxfanatic
05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Not yet. I should get around to doing that.
You could make a killing. :)

DaveFeelsRight
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
but seriously, it's nights like these i sometimes wish the sox had a retractable roof.

asindc
05-06-2009, 10:31 PM

I mean no offense, but what is wrong with you?:tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
but seriously, it's nights like these i sometimes wish the sox had a retractable roof.

I said the same thing when I tuned in and found out we were going to sit through yet another rain delay. Milwaukee did it right in building a ballpark with a retractable roof. How Minnesota is going to play in an open-air stadium come next year is beyond me.

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I think the OP means well. Might be crazy as hell, tho

However, I'd love to personally take a sledgehammer to the Deathdome. Take out every ounce of frustration from every twinkie bounce-off-the-plate-triple I've had to ever watch in that God forsaken place.

I second the thought of the retractable roof, tho. But we won't be in the market for a new stadium for another 60-80 years or so, and by then I'll be long gone.

Woofer
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Maybe the Tigers could use the Metrodome, since we just had a game rained out in Detroit!

FloridaTigers
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe the Tigers could use the Metrodome, since we just had a game rained out in Detroit!

Our ballpark is more recent. Besides, these PPD's happen more in Chicago tahn Detroit.

DumpJerry
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM

The University of Minnesota is building themselves a shiny new stadium, they can play there.
The Vikes are still in The Humpdome. The Vikes can't use the new U of Minn stadium because it will seat only about 45,000 fans-too small for NFL standards. Football is not the major sport at the U of Minn like it is at most of the other Big 10 schools. Hockey is king up there. That is why the new stadium is so small.

JB98
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I think the OP means well. Might be crazy as hell, tho

However, I'd love to personally take a sledgehammer to the Deathdome. Take out every ounce of frustration from every twinkie bounce-off-the-plate-triple I've had to ever watch in that God forsaken place.

I second the thought of the retractable roof, tho. But we won't be in the market for a new stadium for another 60-80 years or so, and by then I'll be long gone.

Ron Karkovice hit an inside-the-park grand slam at the Metrodome. If that doesn't prove that building is a farce, I don't know what does.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
The Vikes are still in The Humpdome. The Vikes can't use the new U of Minn stadium because it will seat only about 45,000 fans-too small for NFL standards. Football is not the major sport at the U of Minn like it is at most of the other Big 10 schools. Hockey is king up there. That is why the new stadium is so small.

Initial capacity will be ~50,000, with future expansion up to 80,000 possible. Not sure if there are enough luxury suites, however. Then there's the whole alcohol issue.

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
You know, I'll take the Dump Dome if Minnesota will take Wrigley off our hands.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
You know, I'll take the Dump Dome if Minnesota will take Wrigley off our hands.

1. Put Wrigley in the Dump Dome.
2. Blow up the Dome.
3. Rejoice

Alexei4president
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
i suggest we move it to the bottom of the ocean that place is trash :scratch:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/nicole10112/office-space-02_l.jpg
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life."

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/samir/samir3.jpg
"Yes, this is horrible, this idea."

DumpJerry
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Initial capacity will be ~50,000, with future expansion up to 80,000 possible. Not sure if there are enough luxury suites, however. Then there's the whole alcohol issue.
The alcohol issue is easy to address. Alcohol is not allowed on Chicago Park District property. They passed a law making an exception for Soldier Field during Bears' games.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
The alcohol issue is easy to address. Alcohol is not allowed on Chicago Park District property. They passed a law making an exception for Soldier Field during Bears' games.

Well, apparently they will sell during Minnesota football, just only to the season ticket/club sections. I just thought the NCAA would have some issues with selling alcohol to the whole stadium.

DumpJerry
05-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Well, apparently they will sell during Minnesota football, just only to the season ticket/club sections. I just thought the NCAA would have some issues with selling alcohol to the whole stadium.
Not having personally experienced Div. I sports, I don't know what the NCAA rules are for alcohol, but can the NCAA dictate an alcohol policy for non-NCAA events? If they expand the capacity to 80,000, the U of M stands to make some sweet $$$ on the lease.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Not having personally experienced Div. I sports, I don't know what the NCAA rules are for alcohol, but can the NCAA dictate an alcohol policy for non-NCAA events? If they expand the capacity to 80,000, the U of M stands to make some sweet $$$ on the lease.

If the facility is owned by the university, I don't see why not. Although true, if there's a substantial amount of money involved, they'll find a way.

While there were never serious discussions about it, when Soldier Field was being renovated Ryan Field was mentioned as a possible site for the Bears; Evanston dry laws regarding the stadium put the kibosh on that [not that toney north Evanston folks would have had it, anyway].

Regarding the Vikings, the only serious discussions I've seen regarding TCF Bank Stadium are as as temporary venue if they build a stadium on the site of the Metrodome. However, the Minnesota state legislature has thus far not been in favor of any stadium deals.

DumpJerry
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
If the facility is owned by the university, I don't see why not. Although true, if there's a substantial amount of money involved, they'll find a way.

While there were never serious discussions about it, when Soldier Field was being renovated Ryan Field was mentioned as a possible site for the Bears; Evanston dry laws regarding the stadium put the kibosh on that [not that toney north Evanston folks would have had it, anyway].

Regarding the Vikings, the only serious discussions I've seen regarding TCF Bank Stadium are as as temporary venue if they build a stadium on the site of the Metrodome. However, the Minnesota state legislature has thus far not been in favor of any stadium deals.
I thought Ryan Field's small seating capacity was why the Bears did not play there. Evanston is no longer dry. You have to have a food license to get a liquor license-not a problem for a sports venue.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I thought Ryan Field's small seating capacity was why the Bears did not play there. Evanston is no longer dry. You have to have a food license to get a liquor license-not a problem for a sports venue.

Evanston hasn't been dry for decades now, but I'm pretty sure city ordinances still require Ryan Field to be. The seating capacity is only 47,000, though.

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2009, 12:53 AM
The University of Minnesota is building themselves a shiny new stadium, they can play there.No they can't. For one thing, there's going to be a parking problem around there for college games. There is no way they can expand the seating to NFL standards and handle the traffic.

I said the same thing when I tuned in and found out we were going to sit through yet another rain delay. Milwaukee did it right in building a ballpark with a retractable roof. How Minnesota is going to play in an open-air stadium come next year is beyond me.The same way they did before the Metrodome was built.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press has been running a daily update (when the Twins are home) on how many games would have been lost to weather this year if they had been in the new park. Number to date: 0

When the Twins played at USCF last month, and the temperatures were in the 40's, it was in the 60's in Minneapolis. We've had very little rain this year.

oeo
05-07-2009, 01:12 AM

A better solution would be for the Tigers to stop bringing rain. :dunno:

cnw8052
05-07-2009, 03:23 AM
I think Chicago's "problem" is it's proximity to Lake Michigan. Here in Sterling/Rock Falls, it can be in the 60s or 70s, and Chicago is in the 40s. That's quite a contrast in weather for less than 100 miles distance.

The same way they did before the Metrodome was built.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press has been running a daily update (when the Twins are home) on how many games would have been lost to weather this year if they had been in the new park. Number to date: 0

When the Twins played at USCF last month, and the temperatures were in the 40's, it was in the 60's in Minneapolis. We've had very little rain this year.[/QUOTE]

slavko
05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Ron Karkovice hit an inside-the-park grand slam at the Metrodome. If that doesn't prove that building is a farce, I don't know what does.

That play is worth recalling. I wish someone would post a link to a video of it. I think it broke a 5 game losing streak. Line drive over the SS head into the gap, CF and LF converge on ball near wall, CF goes to field it and falls flat on his back, LF turns to infield to watch Sox circle the bases as CF can't get up.

doublem23
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
People need to get it out of their heads that domes are the way to go for baseball. Retractable roofs suck.

roylestillman
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Seriously, within the next ten years we will hear whining by whoever owns the Sox that we need a retractable dome park to compete. Losing a home date is a $1-2 milion deal now, Questionable April/May weather probably knocks 200,000 off potential attendance or $10-15 million. I'm not saying I like the idea, but you can see it coming.

ChiSoxFan81
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
People need to get it out of their heads that domes are the way to go for baseball. Retractable roofs suck.

:tealpolice:

doublem23
05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
:tealpolice:

Basketball and hockey are indoor sports. Domes are ****ty.

http://www.mises.org/images4/TwoCents.gif

crashwave
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Amen to that. Watching a game with the roof open is not the same as a game at a traditional open-air ballpark. It's like comparing a ride with the sun-roof open to riding in a convertible.

The whining has already begun up here about having to deal with the elements next year. I believe 27 years of the Metrodome has softened people's brains.

downstairs
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Well, I can tell you this much, though un-related:

I saw Pearl Jam in Champaign, IL years ago, and there was indeed zero alcohol being sold.

crashwave
05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
No they can't. For one thing, there's going to be a parking problem around there for college games. There is no way they can expand the seating to NFL standards and handle the traffic.

I'm not so sure. Approximately 80K people come to campus on a typical weekday during the school year as it is.

oeo
05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not so sure. Approximately 80K people come to campus on a typical weekday during the school year as it is.

I was going to say something similar. I would think there would be more people and traffic for a college game than an NFL game. Most college stadiums have larger capacities than professional ones.

BadBobbyJenks
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Was this a joke or something:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm not so sure. Approximately 80K people come to campus on a typical weekday during the school year as it is.And I've been told that the parking lots that have been eliminated to make room for the new stadium has made parking a nightmare. I don't know, I've never been there. It's just what I've been told by another prof who is a UMTC grad.

However, the new TCF Bank Stadium will apparently seat 50,000, so that should be enough for pro ball if they wanted to allow it. It's not artificial turf though, so two games on a weekend would really chew up the field.

oeo
05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
And I've been told that the parking lots that have been eliminated to make room for the new stadium has made parking a nightmare. I don't know, I've never been there. It's just what I've been told by another prof who is a UMTC grad.

Are there open fields? There's your parking lots.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Are there open fields? There's your parking lots.In downtown Minneapolis? No, there are no open fields.

white sox bill
05-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Move the Humpty Dome to Chicago?? Is I-90/94 wide enough??

ChiSoxFan81
05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Basketball and hockey are indoor sports. Domes are ****ty.

http://www.mises.org/images4/TwoCents.gif

Sorry, the Teal Police tag doesn't come in teal. Domes do suck ass for baseball. It doesn't even feel like baseball. However, I think retractable roofs are convenient. You never have to worry about losing a gate, and the fans never have to worry about sitting in crappy April weather or dealing with going down to the park only to have the game postponed. But the roof should only be closed if its raining or below 45 degrees.

crashwave
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
And I've been told that the parking lots that have been eliminated to make room for the new stadium has made parking a nightmare. I don't know, I've never been there. It's just what I've been told by another prof who is a UMTC grad.

You're right, they have eliminated some parking lots, some of which will be available again after the construction ends. And it is a bit of a nightmare currently, but I don't really see game days being that much worse. They will run shuttles from the stadium to all the various ramps spread throughout campus. In a couple years there will be a light-rail line going right by the stadium.

Methinks the administration is feeding the parking paranoia to make some money; if you want a parking pass in the innermost ramps or lots you must first make a $2500 donation per year. Utterly insane.

Risk
05-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Didn't Konerko also hit an inside-the-park homer there too?

Risk

doublem23
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Didn't Konerko also hit an inside-the-park homer there too?

Risk

Konerko his his inside the park HR at the Trop in Tampa.

Hitmen77
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I said the same thing when I tuned in and found out we were going to sit through yet another rain delay. Milwaukee did it right in building a ballpark with a retractable roof. How Minnesota is going to play in an open-air stadium come next year is beyond me.

I only care to the extent that the Sox have any early season games in Minnesota when the weather is still cold and rainy and how it affects the Sox scheduling. At least i'll take our chances with that over the Sox having to play in the Hump Dome anymore.

Otherwise, if the Twins and their fans have to sit out and freeze their asses off every year in April and early May in an open air stadium, I don't give a ****.

ChiSoxGirl
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I only care to the extent that the Sox have any early season games in Minnesota when the weather is still cold and rainy and how it affects the Sox scheduling. At least i'll take our chances with that over the Sox having to play in the Hump Dome anymore.

Otherwise, if the Twins and their fans have to sit out and freeze their asses off every year in April and early May in an open air stadium, I don't give a ****.

Me neither!!!