PDA

View Full Version : We haven't had a good Chris Young thread in a long time....

jabrch
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Would CY be the starter on this team today?

.177/.233/.333
3 HR, 3 SB, 2CS

asindc
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM

.177/.233/.333
3 HR, 3 SB, 2CS

You're doing this on purpose, right? Forcing some posters here to have some perspective. Shame on you.

jabrch
05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
You're doing this on purpose, right? Forcing some posters here to have some perspective. Shame on you.

You know that's not possible. (not teal)

Huisj
05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Before reading this post, I thought that the only players who ever underachieved/got off to slow starts were on the White Sox. Now I have been educated that inconsistency is a league-wide phenomenon.

slavko
05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Too lazy to look it up, but isn't he like .230 BA lifetime?

jabrch
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Before reading this post, I thought that the only players who ever underachieved/got off to slow starts were on the White Sox. Now I have been educated that inconsistency is a league-wide phenomenon.

Chris Young is not necesarily off to a slow start. He may just be bad.

His career numbers are .238/.301/.443 after 1360 major league at bats.

Where are the folks now who were absolutely 100% sure that Young was going to be a star? Still out there?

Before last season, Chris signed a deal guaranteeing him at least 30mm through 2013. OUCH.

voodoochile
05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Too lazy to look it up, but isn't he like .230 BA lifetime?

Yeah, he'd be a starter on the Sox but only because the other guys have sucked so bad over the last few years. His OPS is low-mid .700's and his OBP is horrible. He also strikes out a ton. His power numbers dropped off last year too.

asindc
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I didn't know he was making that kind of scratch. Ouch, indeed.

Some of those west coast teams seem to have a habit of grossly overpaying CFs.

Young for AZ
Pierre for LAD
Matthews for LAAAAAA
Hunter for LAAAAAA
Rowand for SF

Brian26
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM

.177/.233/.333
3 HR, 3 SB, 2CS

No, but if El Duque was still on the team as Contreras' personal pitching coach, then Jose's woes would not be present today, and Viz could be holding down the garbage-time bullpen duties instead of Carrasco. The world would be a better place.

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 12:32 PM

.177/.233/.333
3 HR, 3 SB, 2CS

No, but Aaron Roward would be......

getonbckthr
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
No, but Aaron Roward would be......
No he wouldn't. Even if we never traded him for Thome there was no way KW was giving him 5 yrs at 12 per or whatever he signed for.

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
No he wouldn't. Even if we never traded him for Thome there was no way KW was giving him 5 yrs at 12 per or whatever he signed for.

I didn't say he'd still be on the team. I just said that he'd be the starter if he was.

Huisj
05-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Chris Young is not necesarily off to a slow start. He may just be bad.

His career numbers are .238/.301/.443 after 1360 major league at bats.

Where are the folks now who were absolutely 100% sure that Young was going to be a star? Still out there?

Before last season, Chris signed a deal guaranteeing him at least 30mm through 2013. OUCH.

.238/.301/.443
.177/.233/.333

Even if he is bad, that still looks like a slow start, right?

oeo
05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I didn't know he was making that kind of scratch. Ouch, indeed.

Some of those west coast teams seem to have a habit of grossly overpaying CFs.

Young for AZ
Pierre for LAD
Matthews for LAAAAAA
Hunter for LAAAAAA
Rowand for SF

Well, at least all the rest of those guys earned their deals (to a point). Young got his by batting .230 and hitting 30 homeruns.

soxinem1
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM

.177/.233/.333
3 HR, 3 SB, 2CS

We really do not have any over-paid, unproductive K machines on the team, believe it or not.

So why do we need one now?

Maybe Young is just playing like **** to get traded back here! He misses the organization!!!!

LoveYourSuit
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, Vazquez is no longer here. So CY struggling should make everyone feel a bit better.

Unless Flowers becomes something special, then we have the upper hand.

OT:
Vazquez has 50ks in 38 IP this year :o: That's pretty damn good. Too bad he only has 2 wins to show for it.

PalehosePlanet
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Here is an article talking about Willie Mays trying to help Rowand become a better CF'er. By all accounts he was downright dreadful defensively last year.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/15/SPKA16FNQQ.DTL

oeo
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
OT:
Vazquez has 50ks in 38 IP this year :o: That's pretty damn good. Too bad he only has 2 wins to show for it.

And that he's still blowing up in the 6th inning.

SOXPHILE
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2008-07/7622751-16123243.jpg "Kinda makes me look like quite the baseball idiot (again), for bemoaning that the Sox traded him, and ripping on them for doing so, huh ?"

asindc
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2008-07/7622751-16123243.jpg "Kinda makes me look like quite the baseball idiot (again), for bemoaning that the Sox traded him, and ripping on them for doing so, huh ?"

Don't be so hard on yourself.

seventyseven
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Chris Young is Jacque Jones from the other side of the plate.

jabrch
05-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Chris Young is Jacque Jones from the other side of the plate.

Was Jaque ever this bad?

Young is hitting (if you call it that) .171. His OBP is below .225 and his SLG is under .315.

Chris Young is amongst the least productive every day players in the game.

peelwonder
05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Well...2 weeks ago you chastised me and said Josh would be fine. I guess if we accept sub par performance from our 3rd baseman then we are fine.

palehozenychicty
05-21-2009, 01:04 AM
People will get on Sox management, but they've rarely let a player go in my lifetime that has burned them. Maybe Bartolo since he won the Cy Young with the Angels, but apart from that....Anyone else over the last thirty years?

jabrch
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Well...2 weeks ago you chastised me and said Josh would be fine. I guess if we accept sub par performance from our 3rd baseman then we are fine.

If I recall correctly, you were the one who said that we should take Josh's performance in perspective and compare his Ks to NELLIE FOX.

I don't recall any discusison of Fields being fine or not - that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I believe I said he was fielding better than he had before, and his OBP was OK as well. He hasn't hit well - but that was not at all the point in my post to you. What I do recall is discussing the complete lack of perspective you chose to call perspective.

It has nothing to do with what we accept from Josh or not. If you are evaluating Josh Fields ability to make contact, in "perspective" of Nellie Fox, that's your choice. Your are entitled to an opinion, no matter how much it lacks foundation in reality, or perspective. I didn't say he was good, acceptable, or anything else - just better than he had been in the past. You used Nellie Fox as perspective to evaluate Josh Fields....I'm repeating that just to illustrate the lunacy and lack of perspective.

wilburaga
05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Was Jaque ever this bad?

Young is hitting (if you call it that) .171. His OBP is below .225 and his SLG is under .315.

Chris Young is amongst the least productive every day players in the game.

Last night, 5 ABs, 5 Ks. The wheels have come off for this kid.

W

Marqhead
05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

W

The platinum sombrero! Wow.

Britt Burns
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM

W

Ouch. They need to send him to Tucson for a few weeks to work out his swing...or something.

AZChiSoxFan
05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Ouch. They need to send him to Tucson for a few weeks to work out his swing...or something.

D-backs AAA team is now in Reno.

Despite that fact, your idea of sending him to Tucson still might be a great suggestion. :cool:

Medford Bobby
05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
D-backs AAA team is now in Reno.

Despite that fact, your idea of sending him to Tucson still might be a great suggestion. :cool:
Yea the Golden Baseball League opens here tonight. CY is one of those players that has the big jack in the pocket and will no longer listen to any, ANY coaching.

Jpgr91
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Let's hope he turns it around, I just picked him up in my fantasy league that does not score average... Seriously though, I do not think any one has ever accused CY of being a contact hitter, his job is to hit HR's and steal bases when he manages to get on base. A lot of power hitters are notoriously streaky, its too early to make a judgment on his season no less his career.

cards press box
05-22-2009, 09:21 AM
People will get on Sox management, but they've rarely let a player go in my lifetime that has burned them. Maybe Bartolo since he won the Cy Young with the Angels, but apart from that....Anyone else over the last thirty years?

I wouldn't say that the Sox let Bartolo Colon go after the 2003 season. The Sox made a substantial, multi-year offer to Colon but he chose to sign with the Angels.

As to the larger point, I agree that KW has been a bold, aggressive general manager whose tenure has inured to the benefit of Sox fans everywhere. Some may point to the near Peavy deal as an example of this aggressive approach. That is true but I prefer to focus on the change in philosophy for drafting players in the last two years. Looking at the 2009 Birmingham Barons, I am confident that the Sox' future is bright. And the credit for this should go to KW.

One more thing: I agree with Joe Cowley's point in his interview with Lip that Cubs' GM Jim Hendry is overrated and does not measure up to KW. Seriously, what does Hendry do so well, anyway? Sign overpriced one dimensional players like Alfonso Soriano? Go to financially distressed teams and offer to take good players in salary dumps? In 2002, the Cubs made such a "salary dump" deal when they acquired Matt Clement and Antonio Alfonseca from Florida. Remember that? Hendry messed up that deal, though, because the Cubs threw in then Single A pitcher Dontrelle Willis in the deal. Willis has struggled in the last couple of years but, in 2004, Willis helped make the Marlins world champs.

AZChiSoxFan
05-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Yea the Golden Baseball League opens here tonight. CY is one of those players that has the big jack in the pocket and will no longer listen to any, ANY coaching.

Wow, I thought that league had folded after a year or two. They actually had a team or two here in the Phx area for one year.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Should we be surprised that a former Sox prospect is struggling?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single Sox prospect from the last 7-8 years that is currently successful in the majors. The last time we had any good guys come through the system was the Maggs/C. Lee/Crede group.

doublem23
05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Should we be surprised that a former Sox prospect is struggling?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single Sox prospect from the last 7-8 years that is currently successful in the majors. The last time we had any good guys come through the system was the Maggs/C. Lee/Crede group.

Crede & Rowand; Buehrle falls just outside that timeline.

Jon Rauch had a nice little run as a bullpen guy, but that's still disappointing considering the praises he received as a minor league player.

soltrain21
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Crede & Rowand; Buehrle falls just outside that timeline.

Jon Rauch had a nice little run as a bullpen guy, but that's still disappointing considering the praises he received as a minor league player.

And Ryan Sweeney isn't looking terrible.

thedudeabides
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
And Ryan Sweeney isn't looking terrible.

He really isn't looking very good as a full time option.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/S/Ryan-Sweeney.shtml

jabrch
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Sent down to AAA... How the mighty have sucked.

kba
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
... after hitting .194 with the D-backs.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090810&content_id=6356032&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Phil Rogers might want to re-consider his assessment of the Young for Vazquez trade.

balke
08-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Gio Gonzalez is doing pretty good lately. Had a quality start last night. Oakland is a good place to be a pitcher though. I hope he does well.

Zisk77
08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

W

Good, maybe they'll call up Evan Frey!:D: