PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi Watch

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
The Yankees are struggling at 13-13 and now 4 games behind Toronto. They are 0-5 against archrival Boston. And keep in mind that the Yankees play in New York, the last place in America a team picked to win it all by some should stumble out of the gate. In last night's loss to the Red Sox, fans chanted "WE WANT TORRE!" at manager Joe Girardi. So is Girardi on the hot seat? Considering that this is New York, I would say he is.

oeo
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't think Girardi can handle that clubhouse (all the mega-egos), and Torre was pretty damn good at it.

thedudeabides
05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
The Yankees are struggling at 13-13 and now 4 games behind Toronto. They are 0-5 against archrival Boston. And keep in mind that the Yankees play in New York, the last place in America a team picked to win it all by some should stumble out of the gate. In last night's loss to the Red Sox, fans chanted "WE WANT TORRE!" at manager Joe Girardi. So is Girardi on the hot seat? Considering that this is New York, I would say he is.

I think any Yankee manager is permanently on the hot seat. It's a tough job and Girardi is in the middle of a giant ****storm that the whole organization has created.

khan
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I think that any manager that is given hundreds of millions in talent [some probably still steroid cheaters] should be highly-successful. I have no pity, and give no credit to Girardi, nor to Torre. [Especially given that Torre had as many, if not more steroid cheaters in his yankees teams.]

Girardi is racing a 700 HP Porsche against 250 HP chrystlers and fords. He SHOULD win, and humiliate his opposition with regularity.

After all, being the manager of the team with the most money and the most talent isn't exactly as hard as being a 22 or 23 year old Marine platoon lieutenant searching for Bin Laden in Tora Bora.

getonbckthr
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I think that any manager that is given hundreds of millions in talent [some probably still steroid cheaters] should be highly-successful. I have no pity, and give no credit to Girardi, nor to Torre. [Especially given that Torre had as many, if not more steroid cheaters in his yankees teams.]

Girardi is racing a 700 HP Porsche against 250 HP chrystlers and fords. He SHOULD win, and humiliate his opposition with regularity.

After all, being the manager of the team with the most money and the most talent isn't exactly as hard as being a 22 or 23 year old Marine platoon lieutenant searching for Bin Laden in Tora Bora.
And this comment was needed why?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I feel bad for Girardi only because he seems like a likeable guy and can be a player's coach/manager.

That said, **** New York. I hope they go down in flames.

oeo
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

If managing were only that easy, then anyone could do it.

HomeFish
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
The Yankees always suck in April and May. Even Torre struggled.

doublem23
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM

I would think most people could guide the Yankees to at least 85 wins.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

I wish we were 13-13. :whiner:

A. Cavatica
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
In my mind Girardi is that team's biggest weakness. I hope they keep him.

palehozenychicty
05-06-2009, 11:58 PM
He's on the hot seat, not because of him, but because of their insane contract structure. They're still an old and slow team that isn't built to last. Even if they somehow get in, they don't play a style of ball that wins a World Series anymore. Those Yankee teams of the 90s were as fundamentally sound as could be, without all the star wattage and power.

asindc
05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
He's on the hot seat, not because of him, but because of their insane contract structure. They're still an old and slow team that isn't built to last. Even if they somehow get in, they don't play a style of ball that wins a World Series anymore. Those Yankee teams of the 90s were as fundamentally sound as could be, without all the star wattage and power.

I've gotten the impression the past few years that Yanks FO and fans still think of guys like Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera as still being in their 90s prime, and all that is needed is to put a few high-priced FAs around them to get back that magic. They don't focus on building a "team" as much as collecting players, cobbling them together, and expecting them to jell by sheer force of talent.

I think Torre might have gotten them into the playoffs last year, but another 1st round exit was likely. This year, I'm not sure that he would make a difference at this point. The team is aging, and Torre was made the scapegoat for that.

EnglishChiSox
05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

And they have (apart from Mariano) no reliable consistent bullpen whatsoever, was silly spending all that money on the starters and doing nothing for the 'pen. CC and Burnett will more than likely go deep most starts but then there are the other 3 days. It's Cashman who is at fault as much as Girardi.

palehozenychicty
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I've gotten the impression the past few years that Yanks FO and fans still think of guys like Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera as still being in their 90s prime, and all that is needed is to put a few high-priced FAs around them to get back that magic. They don't focus on building a "team" as much as collecting players, cobbling them together, and expecting them to jell by sheer force of talent.

I think Torre might have gotten them into the playoffs last year, but another 1st round exit was likely. This year, I'm not sure that he would make a difference at this point. The team is aging, and Torre was made the scapegoat for that.

You have hit the nail on the head. Mariano, though, is still as good as they come. He had a nasty ERA last year. I'd put him in the bullpen tomorrow if he was available.

doublem23
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM

That's a great description of what they've become. If you look at those dominant teams from the late 90s, they didn't always have the greatest players (though, Jeter, Posada, and Bernie in their primes is an elite core to build around), but the rest of that team were just above average players that fit in their roles real well; Tino Martinez, Chuck Knoblauch, Scott Brosius, Chad Curtis were all regulars on that 1998 team that won 114 games.

What they did have, though, was great pitching. That 1998 staff was outstanding; Petitte had the high ERA for starters at 4.24. They may not have been the biggest names, but they were all durable and showed up for work every 5th day. Their top 5 starters in 1998 made every started every game except for 20.

khan
05-08-2009, 10:40 AM

If managing were so hard, then a mensa member like Terry Bevington never would have gotten a chance.

If managing were so hard, then a genius like Hal McRae never would have gotten a chance.

If managing were so hard, then a brilliant mind like Alan Trammell would've been able to instill winning into the craptactular teams he managed.

We're all baseball fans, and we all like the game. But let's not make it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Managing isn't as hard as so many other endeavors in the human experience. It just isn't, particularly when you have the resources that the yankees have at their disposal.

But to the topic of this thread:

I agree that the yankees haven't put together cohesive teams as they did a decade ago. But they have so much money and talent that they shouldn't ever sniff .500 or below.