PDA

View Full Version : *Official*Sox blow lead lose 4th in a row, so out on the ledge we go post game thread

Sockinchisox
05-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Gavin sucked today.

JB98
05-06-2009, 12:44 AM
You walk Mitch Maier on four pitches, you lose.

4-for-19 with RISP? Typical White Sox.

This team is miserable right now.

thomas35forever
Gavin sucked. Alexei sucked. Hell, our entire situational hitting sucked. Why did I waste my time watching this?:angry::angry::angry:

GoGoCrede
I can get some sleep now.

Carrasco looked good, Fields with a great catch. AJ on fire.

LoveYourSuit
Get em tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
Yikes. Hopefully some home cooking will help this team out starting tomorrow night.

kevingrt
05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Terrible timely hitting too.

Question: Why did Bobby not pitch today? He has not pitched since April 29 vs. Seattle. Does Ozzie really not want him pitching in tie games?

Thatguyoverthere
:(:

Soxman219
Well we deserved to lose this game.

Foulke You
I watched all 4 hours and 36 minutes of this masterpiece of a ballgame. What a wonderful way to waste an evening.:angry: I'm speechless. We finally get some offense early and Gavin was terrible.

guillensdisciple
Back to "rescue me" I go.

Um- when the White Sox hit, Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras decide to pitch.

When the White Sox pitch, Lillibridge, Nix, Alexei, Pods, and Thome forget how to hit.

Formula= success.

DirtySox
http://sadtrombone.com/

hi im skot
05-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Your 2009 Chicago White Sox:

https://www.dinntrophy.com/Images/Product/md/rro2Hmedium.jpg

oeo
You walk Mitch Maier on four pitches, you lose.

Your bullpen walks 9 guys, you lose. We were lucky, to say the least, that this one wasn't over in 9. The walks finally caught up to us.

Frankfan4life
I would have probably called this one of the best games of the year if we had pulled this one out. The Sox stink!

I'll be at the game tomorrow but mustering up any enthusiasm will be hard.

amsteel
I hate to be negative and look ahead, but I smell 4 losses north of the border next week.

ChiSoxFan81
They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Well,

:chunks

kevingrt
This team is miserable right now.

Completely agree. Right now they are absolutely horrid to watch. I can see them turning it around but it is ugly right now.

soxfanreggie
Hopefully we can find us something to break out of this funk. 16 hits and 7 runs are good, but it doesn't matter if you score 20 runs if they score 31.

kittle42
Great night of sports. Waste my time with the Hawks. Waste my time with the Sox.

At least I'll be working tomorrow night and at the hawks game Thursday, so I can be spared watching the Sox until Friday.

DirtySox
05-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Your 2009 Chicago White Sox:

https://www.dinntrophy.com/Images/Product/md/rro2Hmedium.jpg

potw

LoveYourSuit
your 2009 chicago white sox:

https://www.dinntrophy.com/images/product/md/rro2hmedium.jpg

very nice !

Shoeless_Jeff
I stayed in on such a beautiful evening for this?

I should have known. I no longer look forward to watching White Sox games.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2009, 12:48 AM
After the fifth inning, the Sox went 6 innings without a run. In 4 of those innings we had at least 1 runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs. If one of those runs comes across, they win. Someone has to take the blame for the offense crapping the bed in these situations.

You should never lose after scoring seven runs. The pitching, outside of Carrasco, was garbage.

That was just horse****.

:angry:

Thatguyoverthere
Well, this past week has lowered my expectations significantly. Same old problems as in years past, but this time with new ones added on.

kevingrt
I hate to be negative and look ahead, but I smell 4 losses north of the border next week.

That's like three series ahead. A bit much?

Noneck
This is not a good team. Please don't think warm weather, finger crossing or prayers are going to change things.

kittle42
I would have probably called this one of the best games of the year if we had pulled this one out. The Sox stink!

I'll be at the game tomorrow but mustering up any enthusiasm will be hard.

This makes no sense. This was one of those games where bitching was well-deserved even if the Sox did win in extras. Too many flaws shown in this one, win or lose.

ChiSoxFan81
potw

:chickenlittle

kevingrt
After the fifth inning, the Sox went 6 innings without a run. In 4 of those innings we had at least 1 runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs. If oneof those runs comes across, they win. Someone has to take the blame for the offense crapping the bed in these situations.

You should never lose after scoring seven runs. The pitching, outside of Carrasco, was garbage.

That was just horse****.

Couldn't ask much more from Linebrink. He was fine. People just hate him for some reason.

Foulke You
05-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Hell, our entire situational hitting sucked.
It looked ok early on but late in the game it was brutal. We ended up being 4 for 19 with RISP tonight. 7 runs on 16 hits just isn't going to get it done. Still, the biggest problem tonight was the pitching. Too many base on balls in key situations. However, I will say that Jerry Crawford called a very tight zone tonight which made for a very ugly and long ballgame. It seemed that every time Coco Crisp came to the plate, our pitchers threw 5 strikes and he still got a walk because Crawford wouldn't call anything. It went both ways though.

BleacherBandit
Carlos seems to be getting onto the right track hitting-wise. However, he isn't situationally.

I'm ever so pissed after this one.

Frankfan4life
http://sadtrombone.com/I think that's the sound they played when you missed a bucket on the Bozo Show. Very appropriate.

kevingrt
This is not a good team. Please don't think warm weather, finger crossing or prayers are going to change things.

People said that after the Minnesota series last year with three games left. We have over 100 games left calm down buddy.

WhiteSox5187
Well right now, we can't hit, we can't field and our fielding has been shaky. Other than that, we've been pretty good.

chisoxfanatic
I wouldn't be surprised if they get swept in Toronto either. I'll be in Toronto for pretty much that entire weekend, but I'm not making it to Sky Dome while there.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2009, 12:50 AM

I am not on drugs, and I refuse to say that this team will not make the playoffs until game 140 or so.

I have said this before, but the White Sox have the tools to be a top tier team, they just have to start clicking.

Ozzie will explode sooner or later, and the youngins will understand this is not a game.

LoveYourSuit
After the fifth inning, the Sox went 6 innings without a run. In 4 of those innings we had at least 1 runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs. If oneof those runs comes across, they win. Someone has to take the blame for the offense crapping the bed in these situations.

That was just horse****.

You just won Brown's Chicken caller of the show. The Box score is once again going to lie by showing 7 runs on 16 hits.

BA w/RISP has to be an alltime low for this club.

kevingrt
Carlos seems to be getting onto the right track hitting-wise. However, he isn't situationally.

I'm ever so pissed after this one.

You know Carlos is seeing the ball well and confident when you hear a f-bomb after every bad swing.

ChiSoxFan81
I think that's the sound they played when you missed a bucket on the Bozo Show. Very appropriate.

I was hoping for the sound clip they play on Boers & Berstein. At least that's good for a laugh.

JB98
05-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Completely agree. Right now they are absolutely horrid to watch. I can see them turning it around but it is ugly right now.

Sure, they could turn it around. You never know. But what a rotten night. I return home from the Blackhawks suckfest, only to learn that Floyd blew chunks and the Sox bullpen walked everyone except my dead grandma.

Boondock Saint
Couldn't ask much more from Linebrink. He was fine. People just hate him for some reason.

I forgot he even pitched...he got the job done.

ChiSoxFan81
I wouldn't be surprised if they get swept in Toronto either. I'll be in Toronto for pretty much that entire weekend, but I'm not making it to Sky Dome while there.

No way they get swept. If they lose the opener, it's time to bust out the blow-up dolls.

Frankfan4life
05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Why did I waste my time watching this?:angry::angry::angry:Those were my feelings in October of 2007. Please Kenny do not let this season become another 2007.

Soxaredabest
05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
This makes no sense. This was one of those games where bitching was well-deserved even if the Sox did win in extras. Too many flaws shown in this one, win or lose.

agreed, 16 hits should get you a win, without a doubt.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 12:54 AM
My question is, What now with Alexei?

Noneck
05-06-2009, 12:54 AM
People said that after the Minnesota series last year with three games left. We have over 100 games left calm down buddy.

I am very calm and also very realistic. No comparison between saying that at the end of September and now.

JB98
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM

I'd keep playing him. I know that's an unpopular opinion here.

guillensdisciple
05-06-2009, 12:56 AM

ditto.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM

Do you perhaps do something radical with him and have him lead off?

He can only hit a fastball right now, 1 hole is where he can find them.

It appears that every key AB with RISP comes down to him.

guillensdisciple

Questions like this can go both ways as you can just ask what now with Floyd?

It is not reasonable to get rid of people who have produced this early.

BleacherBandit
Surprised nobody brought up Dye and Fields homering their first day back. That seemed to be the only redeeming part of the game. Oh, and AJ.

The thing with this team is:

Whenever one part starts clicking, another part starts ****ing itself.

Whether it pitching, relief or offense. Smells like mid-last year.

Foulke You
05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I'd stick with him too. He is pressing right now for sure but I'm confident he'll eventually snap out of it. However, I think tomorrow night might be a good game for Ozzie to give Alexei one night off and start Nix at SS. Alexei is pressing and sometimes players need to take that one game off to snap out of a funk.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2009, 12:59 AM

To be fair this time last year he was hitting .125 with a .146 OBP all be it with far less plate appearances.

LoveYourSuit
Surprised nobody brought up Dye and Fields homering their first day back. That seemed to be the only redeeming part of the game. Oh, and AJ.

The thing with this team is:

Whenever one part starts clicking, another part starts ****ing itself.

Whether it pitching, relief or offense. Smells like mid-last year.

It almost felt like it happed last week with how long this one took.

Noneck
I am not on drugs, and I refuse to say that this team will not make the playoffs until game 140 or so.

All I ever wanted is interest till Labor Day, now I am hoping for 4th of July and then looking at the kids the Sox get from when they back up the truck.

BadBobbyJenks
05-06-2009, 01:01 AM
I just dont see how you can pin this on the bullpen. Floyd was spotted 6 runs and couldnt get the job done.

Back to back innings I believe with first AJ on third with one out then Fields on 2nd with one out and nothing. Awful.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 01:01 AM
To be fair this time last year he was hitting .125 with a .146 OBP all be it with far less plate appearances.

Right, so this makes his current slump looking even that more awful.

He did not become a full time player until about May 15 when Uribe got hurt. Interleague had already started.

So his slump last season pales in comparison to this one.

And the weather is a bad excuse because it has been a pretty warm spring so far for the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Also, if it's any consolation to anyone, we were three games under this time last year too

Frankfan4life
This makes no sense. This was one of those games where bitching was well-deserved even if the Sox did win in extras. Too many flaws shown in this one, win or lose.You think Im not making sense? You mean to tell me you wouldn't have been happy if the Sox had won this game? I don't know about you but I'm "dying" for any kind of a win, ugly or otherwise. Putting one in the win column is what this game is all about.

JB98
Do you perhaps do something radical with him and have him lead off?

He can only hit a fastball right now, 1 hole is where he can find them.

It appears that every key AB with RISP comes down to him.

To be honest with you, I don't think he can hit a fastball right now either. Cruz blew one right by him for the second strike during his last AB tonight. Then, Cruz struck him out with a breaking ball that Alexei couldn't have hit with an oar.

No, I would not tinker with the leadoff spot. I would give Getz every opportunity to make that spot his own. He's earned that right with his play to this point in the season.

I was driving home from the hockey game when Alexei was up with AJ at third in the ninth. I was thinking squeeze. Once it got to two strikes, I thought, "He's going to strike out." Sadly, I was right. What I would do with Alexei is hit-and-run with him, maybe squeeze in situations like the one in the ninth. Put some responsibility on him to do something other than swing for the pull field. Alexei has forgotten that right field exists this year.

oeo
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I just dont see how you can pin this on the bullpen. Floyd was spotted 6 runs and couldnt get the job done.

It's not just the bullpen, but if anything, they were extremely lucky tonight. I mean, for all the crap the Sox offense is getting, the Royals were blowing chances left and right, as well. Nine walks is both unacceptable and embarrassing. Fortunately, we fought them off, but a big one eventually came around to score the winning run.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Blame game:

1. Gavin
2. Offense - situational hitting
3. Bullpen

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2009, 01:06 AM
It's not just the bullpen, but if anything, they were extremely lucky tonight. I mean, for all the crap the Sox offense is getting, the Royals were blowing chances left and right, as well. Nine walks is both unacceptable and embarrassing. Fortunately, we fought them off, but a big one eventually came around to score the winning run.

The bullpen was bad tonight, but of late they've been OK (but the best time to judge a bullpen is in September). The problems so far have been hitting, starting pitching and to a lesser extent, fielding.

BleacherBandit
05-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Blame game:

1. Gavin
2. Offense - situational hitting
3. Bullpen

That covers everyone doesn't it? Who aren't you blaming? :redneck

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 01:18 AM
That covers everyone doesn't it? Who aren't you blaming? :redneck

I meant in order of fault for hte loss. Gavin being the biggest one today.

hawkjt
05-06-2009, 01:21 AM
The Good...
AJ- hitter of the game.
JD- he is back
Pods- clutch two out hitting and continues to be solid at the plate.
Carlos- ropes again.

The Bad
Alexi- no clue right now
Thome- just killing us

Ok- PK,Getz Josh

Gavin is just not locating like last year..it is weird for him to just lose it...but find it again,fast,please.
Matt thornton really killed us by walking back to back guys to force in a run.
Giving the Royals all those walks just killed us. The Sox are not getting those walks themselves so far this year either.

Bottom line...Royals are in a zone of having their fecal matter not stink no matter what they do....the worm will turn. Hopefully soon.

Gavin
05-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Floyd was so very bad tonight, but I want to forgive him because he had two--TWO--near no-hitters last year. C'mon you guys.

soltrain21
05-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Floyd was so very bad tonight, but I want to forgive him because he had two--TWO--near no-hitters last year. C'mon you guys.

You really shouldn't post under your own name. It's too obvious.

Sox
05-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Things that I really didn't like about tonight's game. 1) having to listen to the Royals announcers at work....enuff said there. 2) Getz 0 for 8 this series. Why is he still in the lineup? Is there no one else that could have played besides Getz?

KMcMahon817
05-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Things that I really didn't like about tonight's game. 1) having to listen to the Royals announcers at work....enuff said there. 2) Getz 0 for 8 this series. Why is he still in the lineup? Is there no one else that could have played besides Getz?

Despite going 0-5 tonight, he is still hitting .288 I believe. Give the kid a chance, he's been very solid at the lead off spot up to this point.

Average Homeboy
05-06-2009, 03:52 AM

Denny has lost his passion, it seems. Bob Davis blows.

WhiteSox1989
05-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Pathetic. I can't believe the Sox lost this one.

And I just got into a huge debate last week with my Cub fan boss about why the Sox will be contending..then they go on a four game loosing streak. Cool.

oeo
05-06-2009, 04:30 AM

Please tell me you're joking...

WhiteSox1989
05-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Please tell me you're joking...

Sadly, I don't think he is..

TomBradley72
05-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Sadly, from the moment it was 7-5, there wasn't a single moment where I believed the White Sox would win this game...the smell of "bad team" is building with the 2009 version of the White Sox.

Walks, lack of situational hitting and the ability to make contact at the top of the list. Alexei is up with AJ on 3rd and one out/infield in...just making contact or lifting a fly ball gives us the lead...and he's swinging from the heels and taking his head off the ball...eventually striking out.
Out $10M DH is hitting .214.

For all the "Walkerball" guys, I assume a 10 walk night can be labeled "Cooperball"?

WhiteSox1989
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
You know, Joe Cowley's twitter just pissed me off even more.

Marqhead
05-06-2009, 08:02 AM

That's your fault for reading Joe Cowley's twitter in the first place.

This game was frustrating, but had a few positives. While not perfect the situational hitting certainly was better. The bullpen was overall above average despite the doings of Matt Thornton and the eventual loss.

Gavin takes the brunt of the blame for me on this one.

We've got our one bright spot of the year going tonight, one Mark Buerhle. Let's hope he can turn this thing around.

dickallen15
05-06-2009, 08:10 AM
7 runs should be enough to win. This game is on Floyd although he had no help from Thornton or Dotel, still he shouldn't have been in position to let those 2 piss away a big lead.

WhiteSox1989
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM
That's your fault for reading Joe Cowley's twitter in the first place.

This game was frustrating, but had a few positives. While not perfect the situational hitting certainly was better. The bullpen was overall above average despite the doings of Matt Thornton and the eventual loss.

Gavin takes the brunt of the blame for me on this one.

We've got our one bright spot of the year going tonight, one Mark Buerhle. Let's hope he can turn this thing around.

I figured the updates are free, so why not? I turned them off this morning though..

Hartman
05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
For all the "Walkerball" guys, I assume a 10 walk night can be labeled "Cooperball"?

I have no choice but to label it "Ozzieball", and I don't mean the positive version. This team is just bad right now.

soxfan21
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Hopefullly Ozzie blows up soon and we start playing baseball again, if we keep this **** up I can see 2007 happening all over again, sadly.

Law11
05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Hopefullly Ozzie blows up soon and we start playing baseball again, if we keep this **** up I can see 2007 happening all over again, sadly.

You got your wish..
Not stellar ozzie rant but his postgame was full of bleeps.

FielderJones
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Terrible timely hitting too.

Question: Why did Bobby not pitch today? He has not pitched since April 29 vs. Seattle. Does Ozzie really not want him pitching in tie games?

Bobby has a history of pitching poorly in tie games. I fully support bringing him in ONLY in save situations.

ode to veeck
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Sox playing lately is bad enough, why make it worse by reading crap?!

VeeckAsInWreck
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
The Good...
AJ- hitter of the game.
JD- he is back
Pods- clutch two out hitting and continues to be solid at the plate.
Carlos- ropes again.

The Bad
Alexi- no clue right now
Thome- just killing us

Ok- PK,Getz Josh

Gavin is just not locating like last year..it is weird for him to just lose it...but find it again,fast,please.
Matt thornton really killed us by walking back to back guys to force in a run.
Giving the Royals all those walks just killed us. The Sox are not getting those walks themselves so far this year either.

Bottom line...Royals are in a zone of having their fecal matter not stink no matter what they do....the worm will turn. Hopefully soon.

I suppose THE UGLY was Gavin's performance last night.

This team is in a funk but thankfully there is plenty of baseball left and no one is running away with the division right now.

soxinem1
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I would have titled the thread 'The neon lights are NOT bright on Broadway'.

While it is true that the hitting was subpar tonight, Floyd, Dotel, and Thornton were given plenty to work with, couldn't find the strike zone, and paid.

05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
On this date one year ago, we were one game under .500. So let's pump the brakes on the "this team is going down the drain" talk. A lot of baseball left

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Despite going 0-5 tonight, he is still hitting .288 I believe. Give the kid a chance, he's been very solid at the lead off spot up to this point.

Well, maybe he's not as good as his hot April led us all to believe. But he still is the right and only guy for the job to lead off right now.

It's funny I say that when it's further proof of how full of **** this management team is when all Spring they were sticking to their guns that no way in hell Getz would lead off this year.

That's as bad as Coop singing praises for MacDougal and sticking up for him and trying to sell to us that he was won of the best 12 men to break camp with this team.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
On this date one year ago, we were one game under .500. So let's pump the brakes on the "this team is going down the drain" talk. A lot of baseball left

Last year at this time we had one of the best starting staffs and bullpens in the league. I believe we led the league in pitching April and May.

Bullpen is fine IMO, the starting pitching right now is no where close to what we had April and May last season.

And the offense has gotten worse.

Kind of hard to be optimistic.

We need to start playing American League baseball and start beating the crap out of every team with the stix. With the front end of the rotation and the back end of the bullpen, we can win play off series or two. That's all you need. But we need to start hitting the damn ball.

05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Last year at this time we had one of the best starting staffs and bullpens in the league. I believe we led the league in pitching April and May.

Bullpen is fine IMO, the starting pitching right now is no where close to what we had April and May last season.

And the offense has gotten worse.

Kind of hard to be optimistic.

We need to start playing American League baseball and start beating the crap out of every team with the stix. With the front end of the rotation and the back end of the bullpen, we can win play off series or two. That's all you need. But we need to start hitting the damn ball.

Not really, we have nowhere to go but up in terms of hitting with RISP, and we will get BA back so that will help our ballclub as well. The thing to remember is that there is plenty of time left and plenty of things can happen between now and September. We have interleague play which should help. If all it is going to take to win the division is 83-88 wins, then we shouldn't be that worried because that is doable. And maybe this is one of those teams that turns it on in mid July and August, who knows?

khan
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I honestly expected Floyd to regress somewhat this year. However, the more I watch him, the more I suspect that 2008 was Floyd's lucky/career year. Maybe in 2008, the AL didn't hit him too well because many AL hitters [to coin a phrase] "hadn't seen him before."

He's got to turn it around, and QUICKLY. His hits/IP suck ass. His K/BB ratio sucks a HORSE'S ass. He simply does not look very good right now, and as a fan of the SOX, I hate that.

Otherwise, he's an innings-eating #4 or #5 starter in the making...

Brian26
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but last year we had Swisher to save us.

Ranger
05-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, maybe he's not as good as his hot April led us all to believe. But he still is the right and only guy for the job to lead off right now.

It's funny I say that when it's further proof of how full of **** this management team is when all Spring they were sticking to their guns that no way in hell Getz would lead off this year.

That's as bad as Coop singing praises for MacDougal and sticking up for him and trying to sell to us that he was won of the best 12 men to break camp with this team.

I think it's fairly obvious their idea was to not have Getz start the season as the leadoff hitter. They never said they would NEVER bat leadoff. The situation was fluid from the start and his play and the play of Wise/Owens/BA etc. were going to dictate how things changed over the course of the first month. Just like with every baseball team in the league that has their own situations to deal with.

To our dismay, MacDougal did actually throw as well as anyone during the spring. The contract and the ability were the other two reasons he broke camp with the club. Besides, what do you want Cooper to say? "We're not real happy about it, but MacDougal is gonna make the team this year."

DaveFeelsRight
05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
teams go through tough losses like this all the time. just becasue it happened to the white sox everyone here is ready to brand this team with 100 losses.

Frankfan4life
05-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd like the see the Sox start stealing more bases especially in the late innings when the pitchers are and should be concentrating on getting the man out at the plate. The Sox have been hitting into a bunch of rally-killing DP's. Last night KC didn't hesitate to steal to stay out of the DP and it paid off.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2009, 02:56 PM
To our dismay, MacDougal did actually throw as well as anyone during the spring. The contract and the ability were the other two reasons he broke camp with the club. Besides, what do you want Cooper to say? "We're not real happy about it, but MacDougal is gonna make the team this year."

Ranger, Coop was with you on the air at the Cork before opening day when in his typical arrogant ass style of speaking he even sounded bothered that you were sort of questioning why they picked MacDougal to break camp with the time.

I don't want Coop to say something stupid like "we're not real happy about it." I just don't want him to continue being this arrogant ass jerk anytime someone in the media or the fans questions anything about the team. Especially when backing up a piece of crap pitcher like MacDougal. Quit selling us this crap Coop, we are not children.

Ranger
05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Ranger, Coop was with you on the air at the Cork before opening day when in his typical arrogant ass style of speaking he even sounded bothered that you were sort of questioning why they picked MacDougal to break camp with the time.

I don't want Coop to say something stupid like "we're not real happy about it." I just don't want him to continue being this arrogant ass jerk anytime someone in the media or the fans questions anything about the team. Especially when backing up a piece of crap pitcher like MacDougal. Quit selling us this crap Coop, we are not children.

Coaches protect their players publicly. Until it's time not to protect their players publicly. Most guys like it when they're defended and given votes of confidence. Coaches don't always believe what they say publicly, but they know what their number one job is: get the most from their players....not appease the fans by telling them what they want to hear.

kobo
05-06-2009, 06:06 PM

I don't think they were full of ****. I think they didn't want to put additional pressure on Getz by annointing him the leadoff hitter in ST. Now that Wise failed and they really have no other alternative, Getz became the most logical guy to put in that spot.

I also think Coop was telling the truth about MacDougal. Some guys just perform better when there is no pressure. Mac looked really good in ST, but once the games started to count, he became the MacDougal of old. It's all mental for some guys. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you can't handle the pressure you won't perform.

I hope I didn't come off sounding like an arrogant ass jerk.

Tragg
05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I think it's fairly obvious their idea was to not have Getz start the season as the leadoff hitter. They never said they would NEVER bat leadoff. The situation was fluid from the start and his play and the play of Wise/Owens/BA etc. were going to dictate how things changed over the course of the first month. They seriouisly expected a 32 year old with a sub 260 career obp or jerry owens or anderson to provide capable leadoff hitting? If so, the talent evaluators on this team need a new prescription, to say the least.
And the near-complete mis-evaluation of CF talent over the last several years by the braintrust has been costly.

They should have tried to trade him, picking up 90% of the salary. Someone would have bitten on his "Stuff" at a low salary.

Ranger
05-07-2009, 02:49 AM
They should have tried to trade [MacDougal], picking up 90% of the salary. Someone would have bitten on his "Stuff" at a low salary.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, this was possible...the point of this idea would be? To save $200,000? Do you really think they would have gotten anything for him to make it worth a deal? That is, of course, provided any team would actually be interested in doing that. Even if you were able to pull this off, knowing you would be out $2.4 million regardless, wouldn't the potential (though unlikely) payoff of MacDougal figuring it out be greater than what you would get back in a trade like this? So your options would be 1) keep MacDougal, pay him $2.6, and hope that he finally figures out how to use his electric arm, or 2) trade MacDougal, pay him $2.4, and get a player in return that will never see a major league field. The only possible benefit comes from option 1.

A lot of people around here with a lot of trade ideas not based on real-world variables.

DonnieDarko
05-07-2009, 02:59 AM
A lot of people around here with a lot of trade ideas not based on real-world variables.

Exactly what I was thinking. Had me :scratch:ing a little.

asindc
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Let's say, for the sake of argument, this was possible...the point of this idea would be? To save $200,000? Do you really think they would have gotten anything for him to make it worth a deal? That is, of course, provided any team would actually be interested in doing that. Even if you were able to pull this off, knowing you would be out $2.4 million regardless, wouldn't the potential (though unlikely) payoff of MacDougal figuring it out be greater than what you would get back in a trade like this? So your options would be 1) keep MacDougal, pay him $2.6, and hope that he finally figures out how to use his electric arm, or 2) trade MacDougal, pay him $2.4, and get a player in return that will never see a major league field. The only possible benefit comes from option 1.

I blame talk radio.

Seriously, though, I think the idea that someone would trade the Sox a valuable asset for a player they would clearly be just trying to get rid of is, well, fantasy.

Sox
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM

You'll have to forgive me. It was frustrating listening to the Sox struggle against KC and when the KC announcers made the comment that Getz was 0 for 8 for the series it was just another stick in the fire of an already slugish evening for the Sox. My disappointment comes from the fact that several times the Sox had a lead and allowed KC to come back and tie the game and then win it in extra innings. Making a point of the fact that Getz was 0 for 8 didin't help mattters any and I thought that the few who were hitting and getting on like AJ and then couldn't get the much needed run to win the game was frustrating to say the least.

I think that Getz will do fine. My problem is I don't have the advantage of listening to the Sox when they play here unless I listen to the Royals feed while at work or the times I watch them when they show the Sox on WGN on cable. I guess I really don't get to follow the Sox enough to know batting averages and most of my posting observations come from the times I do get to follow White Sox baseball. Which is not often. So when It comes right down to it I erred when I spoke and I apologize.