PDA

View Full Version : Near riot at Yankee Stadium

Fenway
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Boston papers say up to 1,000 fans were at gate 6 screaming to get back in after being told to go home...

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3226:near-riot-breaks-out-at-yankee-stadium-when-rainout-isnt-a-rainout&cati

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/images/Gate6_YankeeStadium.jpg

palehozenychicty
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I heard about this in the Daily News today. Their security practices really blow. I really hope that they lose 90+ games this year. They just don't get it at all.

DSpivack
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Apparently they also PO'd local media, visiting announcers [Fens, know anything about that?] and even Paul O'Neill.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/05/04/2009-05-04_yankees_put_squeeze_play_on_media_at_the_new_st adium.html

DumpJerry
05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Boston papers say up to 1,000 fans were at gate 6 screaming to get back in after being told to go home...

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3226:near-riot-breaks-out-at-yankee-stadium-when-rainout-isnt-a-rainout&cati

Apparently they also PO'd local media, visiting announcers [Fens, know anything about that?] and even Paul O'Neill.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/05/04/2009-05-04_yankees_put_squeeze_play_on_media_at_the_new_st adium.html
Wow. Just wow. The Yankees are off to a horrendous PR year this year. Empty seats. Kicking out fans who leave their seats during "God Bless America" and now this.

Go Mets!

russ99
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow. Just wow. The Yankees are off to a horrendous PR year this year. Empty seats. Kicking out fans who leave their seats during "God Bless America" and now this.

Something tells me the Yanks bit off a little more that they can chew with the cold sterile new park that no one can afford...

I knew they were all about the money years ago, but now they're taking it to "Nero fiddling" levels.

Red Barchetta
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I think it's going to be a rough ride in NY for awhile. The Yankees still have holes, the new ballpark is pretty ugly IMO and if they continue with these PR blunders and lack of communication, it will get ugly fast.

Honestly, the inside looks like Comiskey II did when it first opened, however with more advertising. I forgot how bad that exposed (non-stained) concrete with contrasting blue seats looked until I saw the pictures and live coverage from the new Yankees stadium. All the money must have been spent on the areas not seen on TV.

TomC727
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I was there Saturday and I think the park is beautiful. The only thing I wish they did was keep monument park in left field.

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
They lost to the Red Sox last night, for the fifth time in five games. And Jorge Posada is now on the 15-day DL. And the back page headline of the New York Daily News today? "WE WANT TORRE!" It was what the fans were chanting last night.

VenturaFan23
05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
And the back page headline of the New York Daily News today? "WE WANT TORRE!" It was what the fans were chanting last night.

But Torre was the main reason they haven't won since 2000. Why on earth would they want him back? :rolleyes:

soxinem1
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
They lost to the Red Sox last night, for the fifth time in five games. And Jorge Posada is now on the 15-day DL. And the back page headline of the New York Daily News today? "WE WANT TORRE!" It was what the fans were chanting last night.

They can chant all they want, he is not coming back.

kaufsox
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Is it wrong of me to be enjoying all of this? :devil:

Railsplitter
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM

No.

From what RedBarchetta is saying, my suspicions that the $1 Billion didn't all go into the stadium are getting deeper.

thedudeabides
05-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Not at all. After the media and fans declaring them the champs again after yet another moster spending spree, I'm rather enjoying this. I think it turns out that playing for the Yankees is just rather difficult. That or there is something to buliding a team that doesn't involve throwing money around. :D:

Who knows though, once they get A-Rod back and the new guys settle in a little, they could turn it around really fast. But, I am enjoying this right now.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Wrong or not, you are not alone.

Domeshot17
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
The only thing better than this is knowing it will be the Red Sox in 2 years

asindc
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Count me in as well. Though I don't hate the Yanks as much as some do, **** 'em. They brought all this on themselves.

doublem23
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM

New stadium or crumbling from an aging mxiture of veterans with no real baseball-oriented goals in mind when they're signed?

Say what you will about the Red Sox, but they operate a tight ship. Don't they still have some pretty solid prospects making their way to Boston? And the one thing they seem to be able to do on a whim is develop pitchers; Lester, Masterson, Buccholz in the past few years. They don't seem to have the same front office ego that has paralyzed the Yankees for most of their past decade.

russ99
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
New stadium or crumbling from an aging mxiture of veterans with no real baseball-oriented goals in mind when they're signed?

Say what you will about the Red Sox, but they operate a tight ship. Don't they still have some pretty solid prospects making their way to Boston? And the one thing they seem to be able to do on a whim is develop pitchers; Lester, Masterson, Buccholz in the past few years. They don't seem to have the same front office ego that has paralyzed the Yankees for most of their past decade.

Yeah, but giving up on Manny could turn out to be a huge mistake.

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but giving up on Manny could turn out to be a huge mistake.

I rarely can stand watching BBTN, but I thought they had a good joke the other day. They were showing Red Sox highlights, of course, and discussing Ortiz's struggles on the plate. Showed him striking out a few times, saying, "You no Big Papi."

grv1974
05-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Are they getting a new stadium? God, I hope so!

Woofer
05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Since these people were told by Yankees employees that the game was cancelled, they should have been allowed to re-enter the park. There was no reason that they shouldn't have been allowed back in, so long that they were the proper ticket holder and willing to go through a security check. I agree, it's interesting to watch the Bankees shoot themselves in the foot.

Gremlin3
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Since these people were told by Yankees employees that the game was cancelled, they should have been allowed to re-enter the park. There was no reason that they shouldn't have been allowed back in, so long that they were the proper ticket holder and willing to go through a security check. I agree, it's interesting to watch the Bankees shoot themselves in the foot.

I agree completely

ChiSoxGirl
05-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Not at all! I am right there with you, my friend, as are a lot of other people I know.

Not at all. After the media and fans declaring them the champs again after yet another moster spending spree, I'm rather enjoying this. I think it turns out that playing for the Yankees is just rather difficult. That or there is something to buliding a team that doesn't involve throwing money around. :D:

Who knows though, once they get A-Rod back and the new guys settle in a little, they could turn it around really fast. But, I am enjoying this right now.

Count me in as well. Though I don't hate the Yanks as much as some do, **** 'em. They brought all this on themselves.

I agree with everything said above. There's nothing better than knowing the Yankees can no longer buy their Championships, and watching them fail with a payroll of a quarter of a billion dollars. :roflmao:

nasox
05-07-2009, 12:10 AM
FYI, the Red Sox either last year or the year before that announced that they were committed to staying in Fenway Park long term. Good for them IMO, because there is simply something special about seeing baseball in a park built nearly a century ago.

And the Yankees can go to hell. They really have dug themselves into a hole yet they seem to think instead of dirt, they'll strike gold. **** em.

Red Barchetta
05-07-2009, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=nasox;2222398]FYI, the Red Sox either last year or the year before that announced that they were committed to staying in Fenway Park long term. Good for them IMO, because there is simply something special about seeing baseball in a park built nearly a century ago.

I think it's cool that both the Al (Red Sox) and NL (Cubs) have these older ballparks, it's just that I'm tired of the propaganda associated with them. Hell, we all know the Cubs promote the ballpark more than their team.

Although they have both renovated the field playing surfaces, etc., I think both Fenway and Wrigley need to have their grandstands and concourse sections renovated and modernized. If they could figure out a way to do that economically and without destroying the existing character of the ballpark(s), they might be around for a long time....

tebman
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Although they have both renovated the field playing surfaces, etc., I think both Fenway and Wrigley need to have their grandstands and concourse sections renovated and modernized. If they could figure out a way to do that economically and without destroying the existing character of the ballpark(s), they might be around for a long time....

I don't know about Fenway Park, but whoever buys the Cubs isn't going to have a choice about Wrigley's grandstand. That's a 95 year-old structure that's needs to be rebuilt or demolished. The falling concrete makes that pretty obvious.

We all know the Tribune bought and operated the Cubs only so they could be assured of lucrative programming on WGN radio and WGN-TV. Management of the ballclub or long-term maintenance of the property was further down on their list. There's a great interview (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?page_id=2317&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3af5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost%3a43ca485f-bb73-496f-b132-1af27303a198&sid=sitelife.chicagobusiness.com&seenIt=1) with Steve Stone where he talks about that.

When people get hurt after something bigger than a piece of concrete breaks away from that grandstand, the debate will be much bigger than the amenities on the concourse.

Red Barchetta
05-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't know about Fenway Park, but whoever buys the Cubs isn't going to have a choice about Wrigley's grandstand. That's a 95 year-old structure that's needs to be rebuilt or demolished. The falling concrete makes that pretty obvious.

We all know the Tribune bought and operated the Cubs only so they could be assured of lucrative programming on WGN radio and WGN-TV. Management of the ballclub or long-term maintenance of the property was further down on their list. There's a great interview (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?page_id=2317&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3af5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost%3a43ca485f-bb73-496f-b132-1af27303a198&sid=sitelife.chicagobusiness.com&seenIt=1) with Steve Stone where he talks about that.

When people get hurt after something bigger than a piece of concrete breaks away from that grandstand, the debate will be much bigger than the amenities on the concourse.

Thanks for the link. That was a great interview. I always said the Stone was too smart for the Cubs. I love the way he lit into the team when they collapsed in 2004. He told it like it was and didn't cherry coat the situation.

TheVulture
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Kicking out fans who leave their seats during "God Bless America" and now this.

Good thing they didn't sign Carlos Delgaldo.

Fenway
05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
They have poured millions into Fenway and improved the concourse 100%

They replaced all the box seats this year and next up is the granstand wooden seats that date back to 1934. They can knock out a couple of rows now with the new seating on the roof. Fenway will be around for a long time now.

[QUOTE=nasox;2222398]FYI, the Red Sox either last year or the year before that announced that they were committed to staying in Fenway Park long term. Good for them IMO, because there is simply something special about seeing baseball in a park built nearly a century ago.

I think it's cool that both the Al (Red Sox) and NL (Cubs) have these older ballparks, it's just that I'm tired of the propaganda associated with them. Hell, we all know the Cubs promote the ballpark more than their team.