PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Family Field Day and Garage Sale

soxpride724
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
This is scheduled this year for Saturday May 16th. I have never attended but will be this year, and was just wondering if any of you here have?
If so, what have you purchased from the garage sale? Do you get good deals on the game used merchandise?

Foulke You
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
It's a lot of fun. I recommend it. There is just something awesome about stepping on to a Major League field and playing catch. Getting to touch the outfield walls, sit in the bullpens, sit in the dugouts, touch the bat racks that the players use. It's well worth the $20 or so that the White Sox charge. Let's face it, this is as close as any of us are going to get to playing the big leagues.:cool:

As far as the garage sale, there is a decent amount of stuff there. It varies from year to year. Sometimes I find cool stuff for a decent price, sometimes I don't. I do know that it is first come, first serve so if you get there earlier, there will be more of a selection. Last year, I bought a great framed photo of Old Comiskey for $20. The pic was huge and used to hang in one of the suites at the ballpark. (I guess they replaced the pictures)

Anyway, hope you have fun if you decide to go. Good luck!

soxpride724
05-05-2009, 08:38 PM
It's a lot of fun. I recommend it. There is just something awesome about stepping on to a Major League field and playing catch. Getting to touch the outfield walls, sit in the bullpens, sit in the dugouts, touch the bat racks that the players use. It's well worth the $20 or so that the White Sox charge. Let's face it, this is as close as any of us are going to get to playing the big leagues.:cool:

As far as the garage sale, there is a decent amount of stuff there. It varies from year to year. Sometimes I find cool stuff for a decent price, sometimes I don't. I do know that it is first come, first serve so if you get there earlier, there will be more of a selection. Last year, I bought a great framed photo of Old Comiskey for $20. The pic was huge and used to hang in one of the suites at the ballpark. (I guess they replaced the pictures)

Anyway, hope you have fun if you decide to go. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I will be attending, and I will be there when they open so we will see what I can get.:cool:

Harry Chappas
05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Is this sold out? I couldn't figure how to buy tickets online so I called the ticket office. They told me there were still tickets and that I had to click on the "community" tab. I did this but I'm still not seeing a "order tickets" button. Any help would be appreciated.

salty99
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I clicked on the community tab and on the right side is the family field day with a Buy Now link. This takes you to page where you have to login.

Harry Chappas
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I clicked on the community tab and on the right side is the family field day with a Buy Now link. This takes you to page where you have to login.

Thanks!

Coolpapa
05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Family Field day is a blast. Last year I picked up an American flag that flew over the stadium for $5, bobbleheads for $10, Official championship hat for $10. have a good time

JorgeFabregas
05-15-2009, 06:23 PM
My wife just told me that they will not be letting folks on the field because of the rain. You can walk the warning track and tour the clubhouse. Ah, well.

soxpride724
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
My wife just told me that they will not be letting folks on the field because of the rain. You can walk the warning track and tour the clubhouse. Ah, well.

Yeah I got the call earlier. They told me that we can now do a clubhouse tour instead.

MeteorsSox4367
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
As for the stuff you can buy, some of it (jerseys, etc.) is way expensive. However, you can get some decent stuff at good prices. I bought a couple of pictures (one of which was taken from the roof of Old Comiskey during a night game) for $20 apiece that are beautiful.

If you're a nerd like me, you can also get AL & NL media guides for $1 apiece.

soxpride724
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
As for the stuff you can buy, some of it (jerseys, etc.) is way expensive. However, you can get some decent stuff at good prices. I bought a couple of pictures (one of which was taken from the roof of Old Comiskey during a night game) for $20 apiece that are beautiful.

If you're a nerd like me, you can also get AL & NL media guides for $1 apiece.

Just curious, but how expensive were the jerseys?

Brian26
05-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Just curious, but how expensive were the jerseys?

The low end stuff is usually around $100 (think Ehren Wassermann or Charlie Haeger jersey). The high end stuff is $500-$600 (Konerko & Buehrle).

No matter what you spend, you know 100% of it goes to White Sox Charities, so it's for a good cause.

hi im skot
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Anybody go today? What'd I miss?

soxfan21
05-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Got some sweet throwback hats for only $10 a piece. Also picked up a game worn Toby Hall jersey for $50. I was going to get one of the flags that flew over The Cell but they were $200 a piece which is crazy. The girlfriend also picked up some t-shirts for a buck a piece.

grenda12
05-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Picked up

Bats - Crede $100
Swisher $50

Line Up Cards $15 ea. - Father's Day (2005)
Mother's Day (2007)
2005 ALCS (Unused)

T-shirt - $1

Balls (2) - $10 ea

Bobble Head - Greg Walker $10

It was crazy. Got there at 9. Had a blast though.

soxpride724
05-17-2009, 09:22 AM
To the poster that picked up the throwback caps for $10, yes that was an awesome deal! Those caps are $30 on the White sox website.

This is my list.

-Game worn autographed Toby Hall jersey.

-Game worn Tim Raines jersey.

-Game used bat Jerry Owens.

-Oct 27th, 2005 copy of Chicago Tribune.

Oh, and everything on the field was amazing, Bill melton was there to sign autographs too.

Good times.

parlaycard
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM

By game used, you mean that Jerry Owens held the bat, right? As im sure if you were able to obtain a bat of his which has any ball marks on it is unbelievable rare.

soxpride724
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM

By game used, you mean that Jerry Owens held the bat, right? As im sure if you were able to obtain a bat of his which has any ball marks on it is unbelievable rare.

The bat was cracked, so I don't know if Jerry threw it or something?:tongue:

dickallen15
05-17-2009, 05:49 PM
The bat was cracked, so I don't know if Jerry threw it or something?:tongue:
Maybe the BP pitcher jammed him.

MeteorsSox4367
05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
The throwback caps were cool, but if you have a larger head (as do I), there was nothing in my size.

I picked up another copy of the Times and Trib from the the day after the Sox won, a couple of copies of the mini ad posters and 17 media guides for $1 apiece.

The larger pictures were interesting, but the $125 price tag wasn't something I could afford.

Spent $30 and that's about what I had budgeted.

Harry Chappas
05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I had my 3-year old with me who was bummed that the garage sale featured only "bats for grown ups." He wanted to know where the little kid bats were. To make up for it, I bought him a Juan Uribe autographed ball and a pack of baseball cards. When I opened the pack, I noticed it had a Dustin Pedrosia rookie card, so I slipped it in my pocket and gave the the rest to my son.

Semi-funny story - we did the clubhouse tour and the rope blocking Ozzie's office was actually taller than my son, so he just casually walked under it and started looking around. I didn't notice until security tapped me on the shoulder and I had to go in and pull him out. They were cool about it and he understood that he had to stay on the inside of the ropes after I explained the rules to him.

soxfanreggie
05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds like everyone had some great pick-ups. I hope to make it up there someday, probably to a couple bats and a couple pictures.

ewokpelts
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Got civil rights game hats for $10(same hat on mlb.com for $35)

also got a phantom alcs game 7 lineup card, as well as a bunch of $1 shirts.