PDA

View Full Version : Kauffman Stadium

Brian26
05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
They completely ruined the place with those outfield seats. The old park had some charm to it with the grassy berms and the waterfalls. Now it looks like a jacked-up minor league park. Looks like the Cougars or Flyers should be playing there.

LoveYourSuit
05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
The waterfall thing lost it's charm 20 years ago. That team needs revenue badly and OF seats have become a huge revenue stream for many teams around baseball.

JohnTucker0814
05-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I was there in April for a Royals vs Indians game and sat in the 2nd row in RF... they were awesome seats and I had a blast! The outfield concourse has been remodeled and is very kid friendly. They have a whiffle ball field, playground and a bunch of stuff for kids to do...even mini golf! I think they've done an excellent job!

LoveYourSuit
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I was there in April for a Royals vs Indians game and sat in the 2nd row in RF... they were awesome seats and I had a blast! The outfield concourse has been remodeled and is very kid friendly. They have a whiffle ball field, playground and a bunch of stuff for kids to do...even mini golf! I think they've done an excellent job!

What other upgrades did they do there, anything new on the main concourse?

Brian26
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
That team needs revenue badly and OF seats have become a huge revenue stream for many teams around baseball.

Maybe they could generate some revenue by putting a decent team on the field for the first time since 1993 (and one half season of baseball in 2003).

SOXfnNlansing
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
We're going to try and make a trip to KC at the end of the month.

CHISOXFAN13
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I think it looks fantastic. I enjoyed my experience there 10 years ago and look forward to seeing the park again with the renovations.

manders_01
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm planning on the Fourth of July series.

oeo
05-04-2009, 10:38 PM
They completely ruined the place with those outfield seats. The old park had some charm to it with the grassy berms and the waterfalls. Now it looks like a jacked-up minor league park. Looks like the Cougars or Flyers should be playing there.

I disagree. I've always thought that place seemed minor league-esque (and the atmosphere matched it...though that probably had a lot to do with the product on the field) with the waterfalls out there. I think the changes look great. The weird thing was that there was actually a crowd there. :o:

Average Homeboy
05-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Before the game the Royals TV guys talked to Ozzie, he said it was always one of his favorite stadiums. After seeing the renovations, he said it is his favorite.

BleacherBandit
05-05-2009, 12:22 AM

I thought the grass and lack of seating in the outfield made it look like a minor-league stadium--or a spring-training stadium. It definitely looks more professional now. Especially with that HUGE jumbotron they have out there in center. That thing is a beauty.

Average Homeboy
05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/KScivic/3433995899_25189e1066_o.jpg

TealTank
05-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Rating ballparks without actually going to a game there is as stupid as buying a house without seeing it.

It is one thing to comment on what a ballpark looks like on TV, quite another thing to judge a park without actually going to the damn thing.

My first game at Comiskey Park was in 1993. After all the BS I read about how terrible the new park was, I was shocked that Comiskey was in fact a nice ballpark to watch a game.

Parrothead
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Kauffman was always my favorite (until I went to Pittsburgh). I loved the water falls and the how clean / well kept the place was and the was back in 1988. It is weird looking at the place. I did not even recognize it. I guess another trip is in order to give it a look.

johnnyg83
05-05-2009, 07:36 AM
There's definitely some country charm lost, but overall it's a much better experience ...

mccoydp
05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I went to a few games there from 2007-2008; I though it was OK. I went during the renovation process, and the whole place was a mess. Nice to see that they finally added the crown top on the jumbotron.

JohnTucker0814
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

I can't remember what the rest of the stadium looked like because it had been about 10 years since I've been to a game down there. But I remember the OF there were a few seats right on the line, if I recall. The other nice thing is you can walk up and get tickets in the 2nd row in the OF... I remember when we used to be able to do that at U.S. Cellular Field. I'm glad we can't anymore!

SoxandtheCityTee
05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
No more baseballs hit into the waters of the fountain -- I always liked those shots. I never made it to the old Kauffman, guess I will have to settle for a trip to the newly remodeled.

Hitmen77
05-05-2009, 08:37 AM

At least on TV, I like how the renovations look. It looks much better than the old OF design. If anything, the old OF had a minor league look.....or, more accurately, a dated 70s look.

Maybe they could generate some revenue by putting a decent team on the field for the first time since 1993 (and one half season of baseball in 2003).

What does that have to do with the renovations? I seem to remember the same argument against the Sox renovating New Comiskey/The Cell.

Just about every MLB stadium is either new or has gone through a significant renovation in the last 20 years. This includes old parks like Fenway, Wrigley (rebuilt bleachers), Angel Stadium, and (coming soon) Dodger Stadium plus new parks for many mediocre teams. Why should the Royals be the only one stuck without upgrades?

Hitmen77
05-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Here is what the Royals website says about the renovations:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/renovations.jsp

WizardsofOzzie
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
We're going to try and make a trip to KC at the end of the month.

I'll be there on the 30th

doublem23
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I would like the renovations if for nothing else but their JumboTron. That thing is impressive.

roylestillman
05-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I was there 5 years ago (for that awful Opener against the Sox) and thought it was pretty tired. I always thought Kauffman was overated. I don't go to Major League parks for "country charm,"and the design looked more like the sixties than the post Camden era. I think the renovations look good on TV, but I agree the only way to tell if they work is in person. Hope to get there during the July series

That said, KC has some of the nicest people I've ever come across in a ballpark both staff and fans.

chisoxfanatic
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
That said, KC has some of the nicest people I've ever come across in a ballpark both staff and fans.
I was there to see a couple of Sox winners a couple years ago, and I couldn't agree with you more. I know they've been bad for ages; but, none of their fans even remotely heckeled me! And, their fans were so helpful in giving us some ideas of what to do that night.

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I would like the renovations if for nothing else but their JumboTron. That thing is impressive.

I see that JumboTron, makes ours look like a black and white TV.

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I was there to see a couple of Sox winners a couple years ago, and I couldn't agree with you more. I know they've been bad for ages; but, none of their fans even remotely heckeled me! And, their fans were so helpful in giving us some ideas of what to do that night.

I agree on that.

Very calm folks indeed.

ohthosechisox
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll be there on the 30th

Same here. My birthday is on May 30th, so we planned a trip down there for the games on the 30th and 31st. I'm quite excited. :smile:

However, I really hope Greinke doesn't pitch on my birthday. lol.

chisoxfanatic
05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree on that.

Very calm folks indeed.
They seemed even calmer than Cardinals fans! They also seemed very knowledgeable about the game. Of course, fans who still attend games when the team's not performing are pretty hardcore for the most part. The treatment I received both while traveling in KC for work, as well as to see those two Sox games, just further solidified my hopes that KC would always finish 2nd in the division with a possible wild card berth.

doublem23
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Very calm folks indeed.

Probably just beaten to submission.

I mean, if you were a Royals fan, would you honestly bother getting all upset about the team? :cool:

Brian26
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe I'm being too much of a traditionalist, but to me this picture makes it look like Oakland Alameda County Coliseum before they built Mt. Davis. Completely generic, minus the scoreboard which I agree is phenomenal and awesome in every way.

KC was the only park that didn't have any seats between the foul poles. Although I wasn't a fan of putting the seats on top of the monster at Fenway and those actually seem pretty cool now.

I like the idea of the concourse around the outfield, but they should have kept the grassy berms under the waterfalls.

doublem23
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I like the idea of the concourse around the outfield, but they should have kept the grassy berms under the waterfalls.

I agree, they could have put some seats in the OF but retained the old look of the park.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm planning on the Fourth of July series.

Same, i have tickets to the july 4th game. Should be fun.

C-Dawg
05-05-2009, 03:31 PM

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb242/css9450/bbb21small.jpg

Not exactly the same camera angle but close.

I agree; the old place had a minor league feel to it, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Very friendly folks and a very casual atmosphere. I liked the picnic area they had beyond the trees in RF.

The old scoreboard was REALLY dated and probably dates back to 1973. Its old school!

FloridaTigers
05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

I liked Kauffman better without all those outfield seats. It looked more unique. Now it looks kinda bland on TV.

Red Barchetta
05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Maybe I'm being too much of a traditionalist, but to me this picture makes it look like Oakland Alameda County Coliseum before they built Mt. Davis. Completely generic, minus the scoreboard which I agree is phenomenal and awesome in every way.

KC was the only park that didn't have any seats between the foul poles. Although I wasn't a fan of putting the seats on top of the monster at Fenway and those actually seem pretty cool now.

I agree. The CF fountain/crown scoreboard was the signature item of the ballpark.

I also agree that they needed to renovate. Perhaps they could have designed the outlfield to maintain the CF fountain and then made the LF/RF outfield double decked to bring in the additional seats. I have never been there, however on TV the OF looks crowded.

Wasn't the original Kaufman Stadium design the one the White Sox used to build off of when they originally designed Comiskey II for Addison?

D. TODD
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I was not that impressed with the old Kaufmann when I went there about 5 years ago for a season ending series vs. the Sox. VERY over rated in my opinion from what I had heard about the park. The renovations look like a huge improvement to me.

Shoeless_Jeff
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
That jumbotron rules so much.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Did they get rid of the fountains? I loved the fountains.

Max Power
05-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Did they get rid of the fountains? I loved the fountains.

I was wondering that too. From the picture that was posted it looks like they're still there, just surrounded by seats now. I wonder if they still have the "fountain shows" between innings and for home runs.

Average Homeboy
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
They still have the fountains, and from what I have seen they still use them the same way.

soxfan2504
05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
From what it looks like, just the fountains in RF remain, the ones in left are long gone. I loved having both of them, but even with only one the stadium still looks great: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauffman_Stadium

Dibbs
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I think they had a good idea, but went overboard with it. I will make my final decision once I get the chance to see the park in person. Can they really fill those seats?

Average Homeboy
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I think they had a good idea, but went overboard with it. I will make my final decision once I get the chance to see the park in person. Can they really fill those seats?

They must think so. They've had 3 sell-outs already, Friday and Saturday are nearing sell-outs as well...

Dibbs
05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
They must think so. They've had 3 sell-outs already, Friday and Saturday are nearing sell-outs as well...

Good for them, but they have finished in the bottom three in attendance every year since 2003. I doubt this year will be much better even if they stay in the race for a while.

anewman35
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM

They ripped out a bunch of seats in the upper deck, so there's not really any more seats (and I think there might even be less).

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I always hated how that stadium had no outfield seats. It just didn't seem like a Major League stadium to me. Now, they fixed that and it looks great.

krispoulin
05-17-2009, 11:26 PM
The waterfall thing lost it's charm 20 years ago. That team needs revenue badly and OF seats have become a huge revenue stream for many teams around baseball.

Whether something has lost its charm is purely subjective. I disagree - I really liked the waterfalls and grassy berm look there better than it looks now. I also don't like sitting in the OF.

That said, I think you're right about why they put in those OF seats.

Average Homeboy
05-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I watched Greinke pitch against the Orioles the other night. They do still have the fountains in right and left field.