PDA

View Full Version : Contreras gets one more shot

Sockinchisox
05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
One more start and if he fails, he's goin to the pen.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/05/kansas_city_mo_-_thursday.html

Marqhead
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Fine by me.

Let's hope he impresses us all.

WhiteSox1989
05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in the pen, really. But I hope he pitches well his next start.

DirtySox
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Meh. The alternatives don't instill me with much more confidence.

thomas35forever
05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow. With those alternatives, the rotation may be in deep ****.

DirtySox
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Carlos Torres went 5.0 IP, 4 Hits, 1 BB, 5 K's tonight in Charlotte. Another potential option.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_05_04_chraaa_dubaaa_1

dwalteroo
05-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Too bad we didn't hang on to Swisher, I hear he pitches now too.

LoveYourSuit
05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Can Jose go thru the depression and anxiety disorder treatment like Greinke or is he too old to qualify?

Hitmen77
05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Too bad we didn't hang on to Swisher, I hear he pitches now too.

...or hang on to Javy?
:cower:

doublem23
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
...or hang on to Javy?
:cower:

Don't you remember, nobody wanted him here because he was crappy in the ALDS?

soltrain21
05-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Can Jose go thru the depression and anxiety disorder treatment like Greinke or is he too old to qualify?

You are so funny!

soulfly
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Don't you remember, nobody wanted him here because he was crappy in the ALDS?

Just the ALDS?? Hahah More like every time at the end of the season the Sox needed him to step up he was awful.

I like that trade, a lot. It's the Swisher trades that are just downright terrible.

WhiteSoxOnly
05-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Carlos Torres went 5.0 IP, 4 Hits, 1 BB, 5 K's tonight in Charlotte. Another potential option.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_05_04_chraaa_dubaaa_1

Carlos Torres come on down !

Soxfest
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Finally!

doublem23
05-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Just the ALDS?? Hahah More like every time at the end of the season the Sox needed him to step up he was awful.

I like that trade, a lot. It's the Swisher trades that are just downright terrible.

Ah ha ha, his ERA was 4.13 on September 13, without Javier we don't get to the play-offs last year. The Swisher trade is fine, there's no where for him to play so I wasn't looking forward to another season of him pouting on the bench when Ozzie wasn't playing him and his .220-ish BA.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2009, 01:10 AM
The last time Josť went to the pen, he came out smokin'. We can hope.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Ah ha ha, his ERA was 4.13 on September 13, without Javier we don't get to the play-offs last year. The Swisher trade is fine, there's no where for him to play so I wasn't looking forward to another season of him pouting on the bench when Ozzie wasn't playing him and his .220-ish BA.

IKD about that. Vazquez was horrible at the end of the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=vazquja01&t=p&year=2008

Not to say I don't miss Vazquez, because I do wish he was still on the Sox, but that trade was pretty good. Flowers looks promising. The Swisher deal was a poor return, but he did need to go.

JB98
05-05-2009, 03:24 AM
If the Sox had kept Vazquez, they probably would not have signed Colon. Contreras would still be in the rotation, and the same issues would exist.

soulfly
05-05-2009, 03:43 AM

Ok, I guess I should have said his last three starts when the Sox really needed him to step up, he didn't.

I also said both Swishers trades, not just the one to the Yankees :tongue:

GoSox2K3
05-05-2009, 08:49 AM

I'll take a .500 Vazquez over the current situation which is pretty much an automatic loss in the 5th starter spot.

If the Sox had kept Vazquez, they probably would not have signed Colon. Contreras would still be in the rotation, and the same issues would exist.

Why is that necessarily so? Colon is only making $1 million this year. If Colon was signed to replace Javy, then the Sox should have known they still needed a 5th starter since at that point Contreras was projected to be out until mid-season.

I also wouldn't have minded a .500, 200 IP Garland back here for his 1 yr/$6 million contract that he signed with the D-Backs. But, that must have been too much over the Sox salary budget.

oeo
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I'll take a .500 Vazquez over the current situation which is pretty much an automatic loss in the 5th starter spot.

Why is that necessarily so? Colon is only making $1 million this year. If Colon was signed to replace Javy, then the Sox should have known they still needed a 5th starter since at that point Contreras was projected to be out until mid-season.

I also wouldn't have minded a .500, 200 IP Garland back here for his 1 yr/$6 million contract that he signed with the D-Backs. But, that must have been too much over the Sox salary budget.

Well, and Garland appears to be on the way down. He didn't even reach 200 innings last year, and his ERA was close to 5. He's not showing much more in the NL Worst.

thedudeabides
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, and Garland appears to be on the way down. He didn't even reach 200 innings last year, and his ERA was close to 5. He's not showing much more in the NL Worst.

Garland hasn't looked too sharp this year, in fact Colon has looked better.

And I agree with the earlier poster that Jose would still be in the fifth spot if Javy was around. Not to mention they would have had to shed payroll elsewhere just to keep Javy around. He's making $12 million this year, and he's still up to his old tricks.

In his last start he was cruising and blew a three run lead in the sixth, giving up four runs. His previous start he did the same exact thing, except this time he gave up four in the fifth inning.

It has to be maddening to manage someone like him. I don't ever remember anyone with his stuff that would consistently meltdown in one inning like him.

hula
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM

He did look good last night. I wish they would have left him in for another inning as both relievers starting giving up runs. Thank god the rain came and the game was called off.

Charlotte won the the game last week with him too 9-1. Check the stats here: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t494&t=g_box&gid=2009_04_29_chraaa_dubaaa_1

beasly213
05-05-2009, 12:56 PM
So what happens if he has a good next start but then the start after that he's garbage again? Does he go to the pen or gets another "one more try"?

southside rocks
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
So what happens if he has a good next start but then the start after that he's garbage again? Does he go to the pen or gets another "one more try"?

:farmer

"He'll be day-to-day, but then, aren't we all."

JB98
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM

The Sox thought Clayton Richard was ready to step into the rotation. It wasn't a money issue. They were never counting on Contreras. When they traded Vazquez, they were visualizing a rotation of Burls, Floyd, Danks, Richard and ?????. They signed Colon, thinking he would be a candidate (along with Marquez) to fill those question marks.

If Javy hadn't been traded, those question marks wouldn't have existed, and Bartolo probably wouldn't be here.

Sockinchisox
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Cowley says Ozzie said he doesn't believe Richard is ready to be a starter so he wouldn't be considered to fill Contreras' rotation spot if he does lose it.

Ozzie also said Pedro's name came up during spring training but they don't consider him an option.

russ99
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
The Sox thought Clayton Richard was ready to step into the rotation. It wasn't a money issue. They were never counting on Contreras. When they traded Vazquez, they were visualizing a rotation of Burls, Floyd, Danks, Richard and ?????. They signed Colon, thinking he would be a candidate (along with Marquez) to fill those question marks.

If Javy hadn't been traded, those question marks wouldn't have existed, and Bartolo probably wouldn't be here.

While they weren't counting on Contreras until July, it was certainly a money issue, with payroll frozen and Contreras due $10M if he played or not.

If it wasn't a money issue, Kenny would have gotten another starter, since that's been the key to his managerial philosophy, and why he acquired Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, etc... Out starting staff has never been as thin in Kenny's tenure as GM as it is this year.

Since payroll was trimmed, he got a bunch of prospects who along with Richard and Broadway were to 'compete' for the 4th and 5th starter jobs. We're lucky that Bartolo has stepped up otherwise we'd be two pitchers short.