PDA

View Full Version : Hbp

SOXfnNlansing
05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I know we've had these discussions in past seasons; Sox always getting hit and the Sox get warned and can't retaliate, etc, etc.

I just looked at the season stats for HBP: Sox have been hit 12 times and hit opponents 4 times in 24 games. Quenten has 6, so if you took 4 away from him because how he stands in the box, that still is 8-4. We've had 3 hit this week on the hands causing 2 possibly 3 (Fields) injuries. I just don't like seeing our guys getting hit all the time. I just have a feeling that Ozzie is slowly steaming about 'his guys' getting hit all the time. I know this is nothing new, but why does this seem to happen every season?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&section1=1&section2=1&section3=1&statSet1=2&statSet2=null&statSet3=null&statType=Overview&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2009&baseballScope=null&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=cha

guillen4life13
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Quentin's stance invites HBP's. I know it can be a very edgy thing for a hitter, but I think TCQ should start putting on some armor. He claims that it doesn't feel right, and I can understand to a certain extent, but he needs to get over it. He could get injured bad and hurt the team as a result (not to mention himself). I know that, as a guitarist, I feel weird if the strings aren't the right gauge and my strap isn't adjusted just right, etc, and I'm sure hitters have similar quirks.

The Sox have faced quite a few younger, not so precise pitchers in the young season.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Quentin's stance invites HBP's. I know it can be a very edgy thing for a hitter, but I think TCQ should start putting on some armor. He claims that it doesn't feel right, and I can understand to a certain extent, but he needs to get over it. He could get injured bad and hurt the team as a result (not to mention himself). I know that, as a guitarist, I feel weird if the strings aren't the right gauge and my strap isn't adjusted just right, etc, and I'm sure hitters have similar quirks.

The Sox have faced quite a few younger, not so precise pitchers in the young season.

I think that's the reason we're seeing a lot of HBPs. In fact, I'm not sure if we've been hit intentionally this year or not.

hawkjt
05-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I think that's the reason we're seeing a lot of HBPs. In fact, I'm not sure if we've been hit intentionally this year or not.
There is no doubt that the word on the Sox is to pitch them inside to keep our power hitters from extending their arms...so I think we will see inside pitches all season.

Eddo144
05-03-2009, 11:27 PM
There is no doubt that the word on the Sox is to pitch them inside to keep our power hitters from extending their arms...so I think we will see inside pitches all season.
Especially to Quentin, if teams have this scouting report (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/05/carlos_and_carl.php) on him. He hits more home runs on low-and-away pitches than a typical power hitter.

drewcifer
05-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Look at ****ing Kinsler! Holy ****; right on top of the plate. Young also.

Our biggest problem is we have big vagina pitchers. Seriously - took out JD, Fields ineffective after 1st AB...they are playing baseball and we look like *******.

And it seems it's always against these times like Texas, Baltimore, KC...

Mod Edit: See ya in a week and when you come back, read the rules of the forum. You've been here long enough, there's NO excuse your you making posts like this.

WhiteSox5187
05-04-2009, 01:48 AM

There is that, but I think that you don't retaliate because a pitch that was supposed to be inside wandered away from the pitcher. Now if it happens all night, then you might have to do something.

Also, maybe I'm an idiot, but I think the Sox actually do better when being pitched in. They can turn on those pitches, when you have a guy living off the outter part of the plate, unless a pitch strays to the middle portion of the plate, we're screwed because we aren't the sort of team that takes the ball the other way.

Foulke You
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM
There is that, but I think that you don't retaliate because a pitch that was supposed to be inside wandered away from the pitcher. Now if it happens all night, then you might have to do something.

Also, maybe I'm an idiot, but I think the Sox actually do better when being pitched in. They can turn on those pitches, when you have a guy living off the outter part of the plate, unless a pitch strays to the middle portion of the plate, we're screwed because we aren't the sort of team that takes the ball the other way.
I was a bit surprised that we didn't retaliate with a ball to the back of Kinsler, Young, or Blalock. The Rangers hit Paulie, Quentin, Dye (badly), and Fields (badly) in this series. I think after Fields got hit, we owed them one. I don't want to see any head hunting but one to the back or thigh would have gotten the message to Texas. The Rangers have a history with us too. Their starter Padilla beaned AJ twice in a game a while back. I was very surprised one of our pitchers didn't nail a Rangers batter in retaliation. Perhaps it will happen when the Rangers come to Chicago?

Huisj
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
If other teams want to pitch inside to the Sox, then fine, that's allowed. But if they do it carelessly enough that they plunk guys over and over, then the Sox pitchers have to do something in return to send the message back that the Sox won't just lay down and take it. If their pitchers are careless and it hurts out hitters, then their hitters need to see something that could hurt too to send a message to their pitchers to knock it off.

russ99
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
If other teams want to pitch inside to the Sox, then fine, that's allowed. But if they do it carelessly enough that they plunk guys over and over, then the Sox pitchers have to do something in return to send the message back that the Sox won't just lay down and take it. If their pitchers are careless and it hurts out hitters, then their hitters need to see something that could hurt too to send a message to their pitchers to knock it off.

My sentiment exactly, and at one point I think Quentin needs to charge the mound. The Sox need to send a signal to stop hitting our players.

Eddo144
05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
My sentiment exactly, and at one point I think Quentin needs to charge the mound. The Sox need to send a signal to stop hitting our players.
Wow, that would be the worst possible retaliatory technique. Have your best hitter charge the mound and get suspended? Seriously?

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of pitchers retaliating, but at least I get the point of it, and I could probably be convinced that a lesser Sox pitcher should plunk an opposing hitter if that team is intentionally going after Sox hitters. But no way would I willingly give up a handful of games from Quentin just to send a message, especially when the outcome of a hit-by-pitch is a good thing for the batter.

Gammons Peter
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Greinke will hit somebody tonight

SoxGirl4Life
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't he have a beef with AJ? And then the Sox will be the big bad mean guys if they retaliate picking on a little ole Royals' player.

Chicken Dinner
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Hopefully we can hit him.

russ99
05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, that would be the worst possible retaliatory technique. Have your best hitter charge the mound and get suspended? Seriously?

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of pitchers retaliating, but at least I get the point of it, and I could probably be convinced that a lesser Sox pitcher should plunk an opposing hitter if that team is intentionally going after Sox hitters. But no way would I willingly give up a handful of games from Quentin just to send a message, especially when the outcome of a hit-by-pitch is a good thing for the batter.

He's obviously being targeted. I don't want him (or one of our pitchers) suspended either, but it needs to stop. And it will only get worse since he doesn't want to wear any kind of hand or arm guard.

At the very least, Ozzie should be pressing the issue with the umps.

As I recall Frank got continually busted inside early in his career. Maybe Carlos needs to adjust and learn to turn on an inside pitch like The Hurt did.

guillen4life13
05-05-2009, 12:04 AM
He's obviously being targeted. I don't want him (or one of our pitchers) suspended either, but it needs to stop. And it will only get worse since he doesn't want to wear any kind of hand or arm guard.

As I recall Frank got continually busted inside early in his career. Maybe Carlos needs to adjust and learn to turn on an inside pitch like The Hurt did.

The dude stands over the plate like he's fixing to sit on it. He doesn't put himself in any type of position to get away from the ball, and frankly, if I were an opposing manager I'd be telling my pitchers to knock him off the plate. TCQ is really lucky he hasn't been hit on the inside of his right knee yet, which is often left exposed. When that happens, I will really feel for him.

Don't get me wrong. I love TCQ. But objectively speaking I have to say that he puts himself in position to get hit a lot.

That said, I haven't really watched any games recently since mlbtv premium has sucked the big ones so far this season.

Eddo144
05-05-2009, 12:57 PM

I don't necessarily agree he's being targeted specifically; any hitter who crowds the plate like Quentin will get hit a lot. And even if he is being targeted, he shouldn't charge the mound. All that will result in is him being suspended for a few games.

The Sox already lost Quentin once due to a heat-of-the-moment decision; there's no excuse for it happening again.

Craig Grebeck
05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Quentin is not being targeted; accusing opposing pitchers of doing so is pretty laughable, given Quentin's track record of being hit at every level.

oeo
05-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Quentin isn't being targeted, he just can't get out of the way. However, Greinke is targeting our guys in general.

If Greinke goes head hunting again, I swear we better see someone charge the mound. Get that ****er out of his comfort zone. I doubt it happens since this team has too many nice guys, though. There's no Carl Everett or Orlando Cabrera here anymore who won't stand for that ****. Ozzie should just charge from the dugout. :lol:

What Greinke is doing is the only reason I hate the DH. Greinke doesn't have to get in the box and fear anything...he can do what he pleases.

DirtySox
05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
KW Calls Out Sox Pitchers (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/ken-williams-calls-out-white-sox-pitchers-for-not-protecting-their-hitters.html)

He thinks they need to protect the hitters better.

SOXfnNlansing
05-10-2009, 09:44 AM
A week later we're playing the Rangers again; same results. More hbp's and then the Sox are villains for throwing behind a batter? This has been the Sox theme for years.