PDA

View Full Version : The Jerry Owens Era is Over

DirtySox
05-02-2009, 08:58 PM
For real this time.

Owens declared for free agency instead of accepting the assignment to Charlotte.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/jerry-owens-white-sox-part-ways.html

LITTLE NELL
05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't see too many offers coming his way.

BleacherBandit
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Is all I can say.

A. Cavatica
05-02-2009, 09:28 PM
The Official Jerry Owens Appreciation Thread is now over as well.

Mods, please lock this thread.

thomas35forever
05-02-2009, 09:38 PM
To him, I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually I feel bad for him and for the Sox.

It would have been great if the Sox could have developed him into a legitimate Pods/Pierre-type leadoff hitter, and then hidden him in left field (after Dye leaves/DHs, and Quentin moves to RF).

Too bad it didn't work out.

Maybe the Bears could try him out at WR?

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe the Bears could try him out at WR?

Don't give them any ideas...

CLR01
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
This is going to huant us for years to come.....

DSpivack
05-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't give them any ideas...

Meh, why not. Was he any good at UCLA?

Maybe Borchard can be backup QB!

WSox597
05-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I have nothing against the man personally, but I'm sure glad he's no longer a member of the White Sox.

Baseball just doesn't appear to be in the cards for Jerry Owens.

Maybe another sport? How is he at basketball?

Soccer, maybe?

Boondock Saint
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
He'll be more help to the Sox on someone elses roster.

oeo
05-02-2009, 10:50 PM
So what's the plan if Pods goes down? Pods was an okay backup plan, now we have nothing.

DirtySox
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Lillibridge?

drewcifer
05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
For real this time.

Owens declared for free agency instead of accepting the assignment to Charlotte.

ok. bye.

oeo
05-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Lillibridge?

That's cool, although I'd say even Owens is a better offensive option, but our backup is? We'll have an infielder with no pop, yet high K's playing CF, and no one to back him up.

It would have been smarter to just keep Owens around until Anderson came back. He's a better defender than Pods, and at least we had that "security blanket" in AAA if we needed it.

drewcifer
05-02-2009, 10:58 PM
That's cool, although I'd say even Owens is a better offensive option, but our backup is? It would have been smarter to just keep Owens around until Anderson came back. He's a better defender than Pods, and at least we had that "security blanket" in AAA if we needed it.

Owens is not a better anything than Pods. Perhaps you didn't notice Pods 2 hits and R last night.

Better than Owens career, right there.

oeo
05-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Owens is not a better anything than Pods. Perhaps you didn't notice Pods 2 hits and R last night.

Yes, he is a better defender. You have no argument.

CLR01
05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
That's cool, although I'd say even Owens is a better offensive option, but our backup is? We'll have an infielder with no pop, yet high K's playing CF, and no one to back him up.

It would have been smarter to just keep Owens around until Anderson came back. He's a better defender than Pods, and at least we had that "security blanket" in AAA if we needed it.

WHo would have been he security blanket in AAA?

drewcifer
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Because you gave some kind of Daver reply?

Owens is not a defensive genius that anyone is aware of. And likely not even worthy of mentioning in the company of Scott Podesednik, either.

Good riddance to trash.

oeo
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
WHo would have been he security blanket in AAA?

Pods, and I put in quotes for a reason. He was at least an option, who's down there now?

oeo
05-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Owens is not a defensive genius that anyone is aware of. And likely not even worthy of mentioning in the company of Scott Podesednik, either.

Good riddance to trash.

Okay...

Let's just hope we don't have to see Pods for too long before he's exposed. And let's hope that marks Anderson's return, and not an injury to Pods.

BleacherBandit
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow...Could you imagine what we would do if Pods got injured?

GlassSox
05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Okay...

Let's just hope we don't have to see Pods for too long before he's exposed. And let's hope that marks Anderson's return, and not an injury to Pods.

I'd like BA back and Pods as a backup, pinch runner, etc.

drewcifer
05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Okay...

Jesus.... I hope they both keep it up. Unlikely... but I hope they do.

Frankfan4life
05-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Good luck Jerry Owens. I hope you find a team that will help you develop into a solid baseball player and that you prove all these naysayers wrong.

A. Cavatica
05-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow...Could you imagine what we would do if Pods got injured?

No need to worry. Pods is an iron man.

voodoochile
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Good riddance to trash.

You know you don't actually have to call the guy trash. He's not good enough to play on the MLB level, okay, but it's not like he had a bad attitude or in any way damaged the team by speaking out of turn.

He tried. He competed. It wasn't enough. Good luck with whatever comes next for you Jerry.

Is that so hard to say?

asindc
05-02-2009, 11:43 PM
You know you don't actually have to call the guy trash. He's not good enough to play on the MLB level, okay, but it's not like he had a bad attitude or in any way damaged the team by speaking out of turn.

He tried. He competed. It wasn't enough. Good luck with whatever comes next for you Jerry.

Is that so hard to say?

For some people, apparently it is.

I'm glad Owens is not with the Sox anymore, as he did not play well enough to be on the Sox roster, but I wish him well. He seems like a classy guy.

GlassSox
05-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Good luck Jerry.

pearso66
05-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't see Owens being picked up by anyone, so if Pods goes down, and he's still a FA, they could just resign him. If he gets picked up, I'm sure there's someone sitting out there that can be had that can do what Jerry could do.

Soxfest
05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Good bye..........No loss

StillMissOzzie
05-03-2009, 01:14 AM
No need to worry. Pods is an iron man.

One of those replies where either teal OR deep pink are a valid option...

SMO
:o:

EuroSox35
05-03-2009, 01:47 AM
So what's the plan if Pods goes down? Pods was an okay backup plan, now we have nothing.

FWIW, I was watching BBTN a week or two ago (before Anderson injury), and Buster Olney said "this might not happen soon, but the White Sox are strongly weighing moving Alexei to CF and bringing up Beckham to play SS", I don't see why he'd pull that out of his ass, and I figure he'd probably be one of the more reputable guys on the network, so I guess that might a possibility

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2009, 01:50 AM
FWIW, I was watching BBTN a week or two ago (before Anderson injury), and Buster Olney said "this might not happen soon, but the White Sox are strongly weighing moving Alexei to CF and bringing up Beckham to play SS", I don't see why he'd pull that out of his ass, and I figure he'd probably be one of the more reputable guys on the network, so I guess that might a possibilityNote that he covered his ass with "this might not happen soon" and "weighing."

I seriously hope they don't rush Beckham. Bring him up when he's ready, and not a moment before.

JB98
05-03-2009, 01:51 AM
FWIW, I was watching BBTN a week or two ago (before Anderson injury), and Buster Olney said "this might not happen soon, but the White Sox are strongly weighing moving Alexei to CF and bringing up Beckham to play SS", I don't see why he'd pull that out of his ass, and I figure he'd probably be one of the more reputable guys on the network, so I guess that might a possibility

I've suggested a few times here at WSI that they should consider the possibility. BUT, not right now. Beckham is not ready yet. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the Sox don't rush that kid.

oeo
05-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Jesus.... I hope they both keep it up. Unlikely... but I hope they do.

Who doesn't? :scratch:

I'm just worried about what we're going to do now if another outfielder goes down.

Average Homeboy
05-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I don't see Pods being the answer. Maybe Lofton, or Edmonds...?

SOXfnNlansing
05-03-2009, 07:48 AM
The Thunderbolts are looking for a 4th outfielder:)

russ99
05-03-2009, 08:19 AM
That was a smart move nby Owens, since there's no way he'd get a chance with the Sox again. I'm glad I got the chance to see his last hit in a Sox uniform.

And despite all the hate around here, I'm sure some team will pick him up on a minor league deal, as a 4th outfielder with speed can certainly help someone, and I still think he'll have a decent career.

Good luck Jerry.

For the Sox, Kenny had better pick someone up quick, since unless Shelby or Danks is suddenly ready, we're extremely thin on outfielders, even when everyone is healthy.

soxfanreggie
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Best wishes somewhere else. I won't say except against the Sox because I don't see him in the majors much, if at all. Maybe he just got sick of Charlotte and wanted to go play AA or AAA in another city.

MeteorsSox4367
05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
If Pods goes down, Luis Terrero and Rob Mackowiak are both still out there. They both have prior outfield experience with the Sox.

As for Jerry Owens, I'm trying to think of my favorite Owens moment, but nothing comes to mind.

tick53
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Like so many others, he gone. Best of luck to you though Jerry. I hope you land on your feet no matter what you do.

Chez
05-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Is that so hard to say?

I couldn't agree more. He seemed like a good guy and I hope another organization gives him a shot. But even if he doesn't get another shot, he's accomplished that which all of us can only dream of -- he played Major League Baseball. Why so much hate directed towards a guy whose biggest sin was not being good enough?

JNS
05-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I have to agree with all the folks who have questioned the totally unnecessary trashing - in really nasty and juvenile ways in a couple of cases - of Owens.

What makes him more of a bum than the hundreds of other marginal players who stage through every team in the Spring, Fall, and when some starter is on the DL?

To me Owens story is just another indication of how difficult a sport baseball is, and how hard it is to be good enough to get to the majors and stay there.

After all, Owens was kept by KW because the was looked at as a guy who could fill the same roll - without the power - of Chris Young, our other hoot OF prospect a couple of years ago. OK, it didn't work out - which teaches another lesson; how difficult and dicey talent evaluation is at this level of baseball. I've had my nasty things to say about KW in the past, but he's generally a pretty astute evaluator of baseball talent. Turned out that Young was the real deal and Owens probably wasn't.

His release (more or less) is also an indice of what it means to be in Ozzie's doghouse, something that Owens was in from at least last year, for various reasons. I like Ozzie and think he's one of the better managers in the game - I'm very glad he's with the Sox. But when you get into his doghouse it's over for you - he'll never let you out. And I'm not sure how smart or productive that trait is. I can't say what really happened, or what went on in the clubhouse, or with Owens' relationship with other players (seems to have been OK) or the coaches, or Ozzie himself, so there may be some very good reasons why Ozzie was no longer willing to give the guy a chance, but it isn't always a good thing to make up ones mind about someone and never look back. Remember that Sean kid, a pitcher who didn't hit someone when Ozzie told him to? Gone almost right away, never to return to the Sox (I think he's elsewhere in MLB - I can't remember his last name).

But that's Ozzie's way and he's successful so it isn't going to make or break him or the team.

There have been a lot of bums, and maybe Owens is one of them, but he didn't hurt the Sox, seems a decent sort who tried, and owned up to his weaknesses and lousy performance this Spring, and doesn't deserve the opprobrium that some are writing here.

balke
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
You know, I had no problem with Owens being on the team, if he just didn't play. He needed to work on base stealing, and just being a team pinch runner for late in games.

As it is though, the Sox need players in the OF. So long Jerry.

balke
05-03-2009, 12:33 PM

That's one option, but I think the Sox are more looking forward to Alexei and Beckham being IFers. Makes more sense to keep Alexei at SS and not mess up his D at that position. Plus, from what we saw last year he wasn't that great in CF.

BleacherBandit
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM
We should try to work something out with the Cardinals. They have like four or five outfielders. Rick Ankiel can play center field.

WSox597
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
If Pods goes down, Luis Terrero and Rob Mackowiak are both still out there. They both have prior outfield experience with the Sox.

As for Jerry Owens, I'm trying to think of my favorite Owens moment, but nothing comes to mind.

Mackowiak is in the Mets organization right now.

TomBradley72
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Good bye to Jerry Owens...the Scott Ruffcorn of outfield prospects.

soxinem1
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't see Pods being the answer. Maybe Lofton, or Edmonds...?

How many washed-up, has-been options do we need to pursue? Let's just wait for BA to recover and let him develop.

soxinem1
05-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Despite the Owens bashing here, at least he hit .260 and had over 30 SB in a season. And he stole the bases in only 90 games.

Ruffcorn did absolutely nothing except suck every time he took the mound.

So I'd say Owens compares more favorably with Brian Keyser. At least he won a couple games.

DirtySox
05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
The Jerry Owens Era begins in Seattle.

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2009/05/03/mariners_sign_jerry_owens_to_minor_leagu

SoxGirl4Life
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2009/05/03/mariners_sign_jerry_owens_to_minor_leagu

That was quick. Good luck Jerry

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM

That was quick. Good luck Jerry

Almost TOO quick. I just knew that Seattle needed a backup OF/pinch runner. KW should have tried to trade him for Ichiro. :angry:

:)

Tragg
05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Ruffcorn was considered to be a top, talented prospect.

Owens - not.

Getting a CF now is buying high. We missed chances to buy low; josh anderson, appreciate Sweeney instead of using him as a throw in and thinking Owens was a better player, etc.

Finally getting something out of Anderson and he gets hurt.
Rough

palehozenychicty
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Is that so hard to say?

Thank you. I wish that the guy had developed into a decent player, but he probably just started playing this game too late in his life.

TomBradley72
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Despite the Owens bashing here, at least he hit .260 and had over 30 SB in a season. And he stole the bases in only 90 games.

Ruffcorn did absolutely nothing except suck every time he took the mound.

So I'd say Owens compares more favorably with Brian Keyser. At least he won a couple games.

OK...good bye Jerry Owens the 2009 version of Nyls Nyman, Leo Sutherland, Kenny Williams or John Cangelosi...take your pick.