PDA

View Full Version : Indians call-up Matt LaPorta

Average Homeboy
05-02-2009, 03:14 PM
With Hafner on the DL, the Indians DFA'd Tony Graffanino and recalled Josh Barfield, LaPorta.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090502&content_id=4526268&vkey=pr_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

jamokes
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Let's see if he is as good as advertised.

Marqhead
05-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Let's see if he is as good as advertised.

Against the 28 other teams of course. :D:

FloridaTigers
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Has any player kind of fallen off the face of the Earth faster than Hafner? He was one of the "premier" hitters, seems to have an off-season, now is getting injured?

Marqhead
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Has any player kind of fallen off the face of the Earth faster than Hafner? He was one of the "premier" hitters, seems to have an off-season, now is getting injured?

No kidding. "Pronk" was the toast of Cleveland 3 years ago, now he's as washed up as they come. As a Sox fan I certainly don't mind, but it's a strange occurance.

DirtySox
05-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Super Two.

SoxNation05
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
No kidding. "Pronk" was the toast of Cleveland 3 years ago, now he's as washed up as they come. As a Sox fan I certainly don't mind, but it's a strange occurance.

Steroids.

pearso66
05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Steroids.

I hate to think it, because i always liked the guy, even though he killed us, but he sure seemed to fall off when the testing began. He was hurt last year, but it sure seems like that could be the answer.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-03-2009, 11:57 AM
After reading an article(written by huntsville GM Buck Rogers) last offseason about how Laporta refused to sign two jerseys for an MS fundraiser saying "what's in it for me", i kinda hope the guy fails real bad.

#5: The Trade

Again many of you wrote in regarding what has come to be known as The Trade. For those that just woke up from a 26-year nap, the Milwaukee Brewers traded away Stars RF Matt LaPorta and three other Minor Leaguers to the Cleveland Indians for CC Sabathia. The Brewers ended up making the playoffs on some of the most amazing pitching by CC and restoring hope to Brewers fans everywhere. LaPorta, whose first at-bat of the season was a grand slam, went to the AA Akron Aeros where he dropped his bags and went to the MLB Futures Game and later the Olympics in China.

LaPorta could hit the long ball but had a reputation for not being fan-friendly with the autograph seekers. Fans in the Eastern League actually found out what some Stars fans had discovered early on: good luck getting something signed.

In the end I think the Brewers got the better end of the deal. You can say what you want about what the future could hold for LaPorta, but a guy with a Terrell Owens attitude isn't going to help you in the long run. Ask Jerry Jones. Clubhouse Manager Marcus Commander asked Matt to sign his jerseys before he left; the same jerseys that were to be auctioned off in our MDA and St Jude's fundraising auctions. "What's in it for me?" was the response. Go figure. Good luck, Cleveland. Karma is a two way street.

You know the champagne that was on ice had we clinched the first half? Some of the players popped the corks and celebrated after the Brewers pulled the trigger on The Trade. Morale improved after that, players smiled more. Must be something in the water here, too.
By the way, those two jerseys were sold without autographs and helped the two fundraisers anyways.

hi im skot
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
After reading an article(written by huntsville GM Buck Rogers) last offseason about how Laporta refused to sign two jerseys for an MS fundraiser saying "what's in it for me", i kinda hope the guy fails real bad.

Sheesh, what a douche.

jabrch
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Cleveland is on the hook for 40mm to Hafner. That's a big nut to eat.

And Matt LaPorta went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and four men left on base in his Major League debut on Sunday

michned
05-03-2009, 07:23 PM

I know you posted it but is there a link to that article? Those feelings must have been pretty strong for Rogers to go public with something like that.

Marqhead
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
0-4 2K in his debut.

EDIT: Didn't see it posted above. I wouldn't mind him struggling like that against us.

Foulke You
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I hate to think it, because i always liked the guy, even though he killed us, but he sure seemed to fall off when the testing began. He was hurt last year, but it sure seems like that could be the answer.
I won't point the steroids finger at him yet. Hafner has had a whole host of injury problems the last couple years especially with that troubled shoulder of his. If you have a messed up shoulder, you aren't likely to generate a lot of power. What should be more of a concern to Indians fans is that Hafner had offseason surgery to repair the shoulder and he is now back on the DL with soreness in the exact same shoulder.

Chrisaway
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
With Hafner on the DL, the Indians DFA'd Tony Graffanino and recalled Josh Barfield, LaPorta.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090502&content_id=4526268&vkey=pr_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle:o:Go get him Kenny!!!!

FloridaTigers
05-04-2009, 01:24 PM
0-4 2K in his debut.

EDIT: Didn't see it posted above. I wouldn't mind him struggling like that against us.

He was an annoyance in his last at-bat. With the bases loaded, Verlander would get his sign, and get ready and just as he'd start, LaPorta called time, probably FOUR times. It got to a point where from the TV you can hear the fans boo. Struck him out looking. Welcome to the big leagues, Matt.

Average Homeboy
05-05-2009, 03:29 AM
He homered last night.