PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and Who last night?

Schmitz33
05-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I only caught bits and pieces of the game last night on TV... Who was doing the color with Hawk?

tsoxman
05-02-2009, 06:54 AM
I only caught bits and pieces of the game last night on TV... Who was doing the color with Hawk?

Former Sox great Mike Huff..and I still can't believe he said what he said!

Schmitz33
05-02-2009, 07:06 AM
What did he say?

Frankfan4life
05-02-2009, 07:18 AM
I think Huff did a great job.

Chez
05-02-2009, 08:10 AM
I've had a chance to meet and talk with Mike several times -- he used to work in my building. Great guy. I believe he went to New Trier East High School.

hawkjt
05-02-2009, 08:32 AM
He lives in the Dallas area, I believe. Does he have some connection to the Rangers?... he seemed very familiar with them.
As a fill-in ,he does an ok job.
When they brought in the lefty to face Big Jim, he said ''lefty or righty, it does not matter to Jim Thome'' I rolled my eyes...saying to my son, yea, right Big Jim has no shot vs most leftys...then ..boom, Big Jim made me eat my words and Huff looked like a genius.

Where is Stoney? I miss him already,altho Huff is decent.

DSpivack
05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
I've had a chance to meet and talk with Mike several times -- he used to work in my building. Great guy. I believe he went to New Trier East High School.

No one's perfect.

Quentin4prez
05-02-2009, 09:30 AM
i thought he did a good job with Hawk

BainesHOF
05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I thought Huff did a good job.

nug0hs
05-02-2009, 09:36 AM
No one's perfect.

Good call...maybe if he were a Glenbrook North alum like me! :D:

tick53
05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Huff did OK but I would not want a steady diet of him in the booth.

HebrewHammer
05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Former Sox great Mike Huff..and I still can't believe he said what he said!

Now what, exactly, did he say that you can't believe???

I thought he was competent. Of the recent fill-ins we've had, I think I'd go 1. Pall, 2. McDowell, 3. Huff, but he was still solid.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM

I thought he was competent. Of the recent fill-ins we've had, I think I'd go 1. Pall, 2. McDowell, 3. Huff, but he was still solid.
No love for Robin Ventura when he filled in during Hawk's eye surgery? My favorite moment was when DJ did his patented reverse-jinx on some opposing batter, and Robin called him on it:

(paraphrasing)
DJ - Now here's a guy with a ton of power, but he hasn't hit a home run in three weeks!

RV - Some people won't like you saying things like that.

DJ - What, like a jinx? I don't believe in that stuff.

(brief pause)

RV - Well I do.

JGarlandrules20
05-02-2009, 10:40 AM
No love for Robin Ventura when he filled in during Hawk's eye surgery? My favorite moment was when DJ did his patented reverse-jinx on some opposing batter, and Robin called him on it:

(paraphrasing)
DJ - Now here's a guy with a ton of power, but he hasn't hit a home run in three weeks!

RV - Some people won't like you saying things like that.

DJ - What, like a jinx? I don't believe in that stuff.

(brief pause)

RV - Well I do.

Haha. I loved Robin in the booth, he was funny. I remember during one of the series, they were listing some of Robin's stats and he was like "Get that out of here, my PTC is up!" :D:

jdm2662
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM

:o:

He was beyond brutal!

chisox117
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I thought Huff was below average. Just like in his playing days. I'm not looking forward to hearing him again tonight.

tsoxman
05-02-2009, 11:07 AM

I am sure it was tongue in cheek but he said something to the effect that Pods runs fast 'for a white guy'. I am anything but PCc but this remark made me a bit uncomfortable.

Juice16
05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I am sure it was tongue in cheek but he said something to the effect that Pods runs fast 'for a white guy'. I am anything but PCc but this remark made me a bit uncomfortable.

sorry.

DonnieDarko
05-02-2009, 11:25 AM

LOL. He CAN run pretty fast for a white dude. :D:

Jurr
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Huff was REALLY eager. I liked his energy. When Pods was running down the line, he was yelling, "Go, go, go!". Is he great or even really good? Nah. Is he competent? Yup.

BleacherBandit
05-02-2009, 11:49 AM
No one's perfect.

Everybody from New Trier is perfect.

Did he play baseball?

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
LOL. He CAN run pretty fast for a white dude. :D:

He can run fast for any dude, period. :tongue:

Zisk77
05-02-2009, 12:45 PM

I too felt uneasy when he said that and Hawk quickly changed the subject. (my guess is the producer probably said something in his ear as well).

Chez
05-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Did he play baseball?

No; he was good enough to play in the major leagues, but not good enough enough to play for his high school team. Of course he played baseball there.

chisox77
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I tuned into last night's game when it was already in progress. At first, it sounded like Donn Pall to me, then the Hawk ID'd him during an exhange. I thought he did a fine job, but Steve Stone is the man.

BleacherBandit
05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
No; he was good enough to play in the major leagues, but not good enough enough to play for his high school team. Of course he played baseball there.

Haha, I was just asking becuase hardly any professional athletes have came from NT. We're not very good in that department.

Rohan
05-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Haha "I'm anything but politically correct" false...
He made a joke about a stereotype. A stereotype that's completely harmless at that. There's something wrong if a comment like that makes you uncomfortable.

HebrewHammer
05-02-2009, 07:54 PM
He made a joke about a stereotype. A stereotype that's completely harmless at that. There's something wrong if a comment like that makes you uncomfortable.

Agreed. Completely. If he had said "Scott runs pretty well when he takes off the white sheet and puts down the noose," then its okay to feel uncomfortable. Until then, relax.

tsoxman
05-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Whatever.

Chez
05-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Haha, I was just asking becuase hardly any professional athletes have came from NT. We're not very good in that department.

Former AL Rookie of the Year, John Castino is an alum and I think former Sox pitcher Ross Baumgarten is too. (FYI -- I'm not!) Not bad at all for an Illinois high school.

soxfan43
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Did he play baseball?

Spoken like a true trevian.

Jim Shorts
05-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought Huff's voice sounded like the brother from Napolean Dynamite.