PDA

View Full Version : AL Central GameThread: May

Average Homeboy
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Mauer back tonight against KC.

Marqhead
05-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm a big fan of the AL Central monthly game thread. Let's keep this thing rollin'!

Two intradivision series:

Toons - Tigers
Twins - Royals

Sox are in Texas. It would be great to get a sweep while these guys beat up on each other. Gotta take it one game at a time though.

october23sp
05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm a big fan of the AL Central monthly game thread. Let's keep this thing rollin'!

Two intradivision series:

Toons - Tigers
Twins - Royals

Sox are in Texas. It would be great to get a sweep while these guys beat up on each other. Gotta take it one game at a time though.

I started it give me some ****ing credit.:tongue::redneck

SoxGirl4Life
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Division is gonna be a dog fight all summer long. Mercy!

oeo
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Do the Twins ever have to play on the road?

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Do the Twins ever have to play on the road?

No, that would be unfair to them. Just ask Timberwolf.

Average Homeboy
05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I started it give me some ****ing credit.:tongue::redneck
I'm a big fan too, which is why I stole your idea... :cool:

DSpivack
05-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Scott Baker has a no-hitter through 5.

And the Twins announcers mentioned it. I thought that was a, uhh, no-no.

EDIT: Through 6. Ugh.

guillensdisciple
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Someone has to take the Central into their hands. I have trouble believing this will be a three or four horse race in September.

Edit: Twinkers are 9 and 7 at the dome and 3-5 on the road. Will anyone make a 60 win season prediction for them next year? I know I will.

DSpivack
05-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Phew, broken up in the 7th.

Of course I recently dropped Scott Baker from my fantasy team.

Marqhead
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
And Baker promptly gives up 5 runs.

What the hell is going on with him?

FloridaTigers
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Someone has to take the Central into their hands. I have trouble believing this will be a three or four horse race in September.

Edit: Twinkers are 9 and 7 at the dome and 3-5 on the road. Will anyone make a 60 win season prediction for them next year? I know I will.

I think only Twins fans will miss the dome.

thedudeabides
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

He's giving up homeruns at an alarming rate. Eight so far this year in only 20 innings. I'd hazard a guess he may be tipping his pitches or opposing hitters are sitting on a particular pitch when he is behind in the count, but I haven't seen him pitch.

jabrch
05-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Possible option - he's overrated? He could be more like the guy who had a 5.25+ ERA in his first 225 IP in the majors and his 2008 season is not going to be repeated?

Average Homeboy
05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Crazy that KC was no hit for the first 6 plus, and still came out with 10 hits in the game...

palehozenychicty
05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Verlander fanned 11 today against the Toons. He had a good outing last week against the Yanks too. If he returns to form, then Detroit may stick around longer.

Average Homeboy
05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Verlander fanned 11 today against the Toons. He had a good outing last week against the Yanks too. If he returns to form, then Detroit may stick around longer.

Zumaya has looked good as well...

drewcifer
05-03-2009, 11:48 PM
And I was shunned for plauding Detroit's pitching....

That Galarraga kid they picked off doesn't suck either.

FloridaTigers
05-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Edwin Jackson has been terrific so far. He starts tonight, so I hope I didn't jinx him. He's got good stuff, but his problem in Tampa was consistency.

crashwave
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Total Road Wins, 2001-2008:

Minnesota - 326
Cleveland - 312
Chicago - 305
Detroit - 263
Kansas City - 244

FloridaTigers
05-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Minnesota - 326
Cleveland - 312
Chicago - 305
Detroit - 263
Kansas City - 244

What the home totals in these years?

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Minnesota - 326
Cleveland - 312
Chicago - 305
Detroit - 263
Kansas City - 244

95% of statistics are bull**** :wink:

DSpivack
05-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Bert Blyleven will eat two live nightcrawlers saturday.

http://twitter.com/fsnorth/status/1712703754

ChiSoxFan81
05-06-2009, 12:54 AM

We need to name one of them Timberwolf.

crashwave
05-06-2009, 01:37 AM
95% of statistics are bull**** :wink:
I see what you did there. :wink:

crashwave
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM

Total Home Wins, 2001-2008

Minnesota - 391
Chicago - 378
Cleveland - 349
Detroit - 301
KC - 286

I posted the road records to dispute the charge that the Twinks will shrivel up and die without the Metrodome to help them, which is something I hear a lot here. No doubt the Dome has been a big advantage, but the gap between their home and road records is almost identical to the Sox. During this decade, the Twins have had more success than anyone else in the division away from home.

Then again, after watching Delmon Young and Alexi Casilla, I'm beginning to wonder if the guy predicting 60 wins might be right...

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Why? is he eating the evil of bad baseball? and if it works, you think Hawk can one-up him?

Average Homeboy
05-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Minnesota losing 4-1 to Baltimore, ran delay in the 6th.

Cleveland beat Boston 9-1, 11-17 on the season.

KC beat Seattle 9-1, have won 5 straight.

DSpivack
05-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Why? is he eating the evil of bad baseball? and if it works, you think Hawk can one-up him?

Hah. I'm surprised they chose a nightcrawler. Maybe Hawk can eat a piranha?

Minnesota losing 4-1 to Baltimore, ran delay in the 6th.

Cleveland beat Boston 9-1, 11-17 on the season.

KC beat Seattle 9-1, have won 5 straight.

I expect that the O's game has gotten called. We're getting drenched.

Average Homeboy
05-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I expect that the O's game has gotten called. We're getting drenched.

Yup, they called it. They got at least 5 innings in, so it's a complete game.

guillensdisciple
05-07-2009, 02:17 AM
I am hoping that Kansas City decides to go back to normal sometime soon, but it does not look like it will be happening.

:whiner:

Marqhead
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM
BoSox throw a 12 spot on the Indians in the 6th. :o:

DSpivack
05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
BoSox throw a 12 spot on the Indians in the 6th. :o:

That Cleveland team is some kind of bad.

Marqhead
05-07-2009, 09:15 PM

I don't know why people picked them to compete.

Zero pitching. Zero.

sunofgold
05-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Good race in AL Central for 1-4. Cleveland looks bad. No pitching, not that great of a lineup. Unless things change for Cleveland, looks like a last place from start to end for them.

Average Homeboy
05-07-2009, 11:26 PM
6 straight for KC...:scratch:

doublem23
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I am hoping that Kansas City decides to go back to normal sometime soon, but it does not look like it will be happening.

:whiner:

I really cannot believe a team that has Kyle Farnsworth as a prominent member of their bullpen won't eventually fade.

Good for them, though, it must be nice for Royal fans to have something to cheer about.

FloridaTigers
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Starting to look more and more like that random AL Central team that has a magical season and dominates. :(:

oeo
05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
The Sox just need to take care of their own business, and they'll catch KC. I'm still not very impressed with their team. I'm impressed with Zach Greinke, but not the Royals.

Average Homeboy
05-07-2009, 11:45 PM
The Sox just need to take care of their own business, and they'll catch KC. I'm still not very impressed with their team. I'm impressed with Zach Greinke, but not the Royals.

It's hard not to be, he only pitches every 5th game...

sunofgold
Playing Angels (while they are down), then last place Oak, then last place Balt, then last place Cleve.

At least for now, KC is going to do well. Hope that I am wrong. It is a long season. But, we are going to have to play better against them.

doublem23

Its shocking to think that just 18 months ago, that team was 1 win away from the World Series.

SBSoxFan
05-08-2009, 12:11 AM

And it seems like the Sox are the only team to come close to beating them during that time. Given that the Sox were playing like crap at the time, I feel good about the Sox' chances.

Average Homeboy
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Take away Greinke's 6 wins, and they still have 12. The Twins and Sox only have 13. So it's not just him getting the job done in KC, their bullpen has been red hot late, and they've been getting a ton of hits. It's hard to believe they are without Gordon, and starting Ponson every 5th day...

sunofgold
05-08-2009, 12:30 AM
We go 6-0 when Buehrle starts. Royals go 6-0 when Greinke starts. However, they are smoking us when the other starters go. We are 0-5 when Contreras starts. That is our biggest downer.

oeo
05-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Take away Greinke's 6 wins, and they still have 12. The Twins and Sox only have 13. So it's not just him getting the job done in KC, their bullpen has been red hot late, and they've been getting a ton of hits. It's hard to believe they are without Gordon, and starting Ponson every 5th day...

I've been contemplating this for the last week...are you a Royals fan?

Average Homeboy
05-08-2009, 03:40 AM
I've been contemplating this for the last week...are you a Royals fan?

I've been following them more than most teams, except the Dodgers. But we don't have an NL West GameThread here. They are the like the Rays were last year, the surprise team or whatever.

Oblong
05-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I'm glad Cleveland's tanking. I'm sure they'll have a good September and everybody will be picking them again next year. Their "fans" are a good bet to be obnoxious when coming into Comerica Park. Don't know what it's like at the Cell. When I say obnoxious I'm referring to the ones who always stand up and applaud whenever their team does something. Have to make themselves known. Bring the flags, blankets, etc. Our row on Friday had a group of 8 who kept getting up, one by one. It's all season ticket holders in our area so one guy finally snapped "Can't you guys all go at once or something? This is annoying". So they started going the other way.

I heard Cowley on the XM feed during Wednesday's rainout talking about how electric Kaufmann stadium is when Greinke pitches. This could be one of thsoe special seasons, at least for an individual, and as a baseball fan I appreciate it.

doublem23
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I'm glad Cleveland's tanking. I'm sure they'll have a good September and everybody will be picking them again next year. Their "fans" are a good bet to be obnoxious when coming into Comerica Park. Don't know what it's like at the Cell. When I say obnoxious I'm referring to the ones who always stand up and applaud whenever their team does something. Have to make themselves known. Bring the flags, blankets, etc. Our row on Friday had a group of 8 who kept getting up, one by one. It's all season ticket holders in our area so one guy finally snapped "Can't you guys all go at once or something? This is annoying". So they started going the other way.

I heard Cowley on the XM feed during Wednesday's rainout talking about how electric Kaufmann stadium is when Greinke pitches. This could be one of thsoe special seasons, at least for an individual, and as a baseball fan I appreciate it.

Aside from Cub, Red Sox, and Yankee fans who are the worst (and honestly, most of the obnoxious fans of these teams are just faux fans, anyway) I have noticed Indian fans are right up there with them. They seem to have this air of self-importance, like it's still 1998 and they're still the best team in baseball and they've sold out 400+ games still.

Oblong
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
They seem to have this air of self-importance, like it's still 1998 and they're still the best team in baseball and they've sold out 400+ games still.

That is signature worthy right there. You nailed it!

Average Homeboy
05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm glad to see Cleveland tanking as well.

jabrch
05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
That team was so flawed from the get-go. I never understood why some people were picking them to win.

oeo
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been following them more than most teams, except the Dodgers. But we don't have an NL West GameThread here. They are the like the Rays were last year, the surprise team or whatever.

Just not as good. :wink:

But seriously, I'm happy for Royals fans. Hopefully they'll have something to cheer about all year and then be disappointed because the Sox won the division. :D:

And who isn't happy about the Indians sucking ass? That's my most hated team. **** the Indians.

thedudeabides
05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
That team was so flawed from the get-go. I never understood why some people were picking them to win.

They were busy in the offseason. To many pundits thats all that matters. They aquired DeRosa for very marginal minor league talent, signed Kerry Wood, signed Pavano, and turned over some guys in their bullpen. That and Gammons and a couple of people at ESPN love them, for some reason, no matter what they do.

They ignored the obvious flaws that the back end of their rotation is hideous, and there had to be some regression from Cliff Lee. They didn't do much to change some of their offensive and defensive flaws, and still didn't have anyone reliable to get the ball to the ninth inning. I don't know how anyone can look at a rotation with Carl Pavano as your #3 and say "That's my pick".

jdm2662
05-08-2009, 04:33 PM
It's a matter if KC's starters hold up outside of Grienke if they are going to be there at the end. You know you will probably get high 3/low 4s ERA with Meche. Brian Bannister has had a great start to the season, but he had one last year. He faltered big time in the end. Kyle Davies hasn't looked too hot, and Ponson is hot garbage. So, we will see. They have as good as a chance as everyone else. No one is goign to run away with this division.

Average Homeboy
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
It's a matter if KC's starters hold up outside of Grienke if they are going to be there at the end. You know you will probably get high 3/low 4s ERA with Meche. Brian Bannister has had a great start to the season, but he had one last year. He faltered big time in the end. Kyle Davies hasn't looked too hot, and Ponson is hot garbage. So, we will see. They have as good as a chance as everyone else. No one is goign to run away with this division.

They have Luke Hochevar dominating in Triple-A and begging to be called-up. I believe they are keeping him down due to his service time.

He's 5-0 in 6 starts, 0.90 ERA, 40 innings, 28 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 10 walks, 30 K's. Those numbers in the Pacific Coast League, pretty impressive.

Hitmen77
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Aside from Cub, Red Sox, and Yankee fans who are the worst (and honestly, most of the obnoxious fans of these teams are just faux fans, anyway) I have noticed Indian fans are right up there with them. They seem to have this air of self-importance, like it's still 1998 and they're still the best team in baseball and they've sold out 400+ games still.

I totally agree. Of our division rivals' fans, the Indians fans are by far the most obnoxious.

Oblong
05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Verlander outpitches Cliff Lee tonight in a 1-0 shutout. 2 hits 11ks for Verlander. The winning run came in the 8th on a routine grounder to 2B where he hesitated slightly on the throw and Clete Thomas beat it out allowing Granderson to score. Just a great game.

But that's not what will be talked about.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3513642489_8b432bc08c_o.jpg

That's Curtis Granderson robbing Grady Sizemore of a game winning 2 run HR.

ESPN's summary with video of the catch. You can hear the Cleveland announcers saying "It's gone! No it's not."

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=4153469&categoryid=2521705

That very well might be the greatest catch I've ever seen considering the circumstances. I'll have to wait for the buzz to wear off.

thedudeabides
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Verlander outpitches Cliff Lee tonight in a 1-0 shutout. 2 hits 11ks for Verlander. The winning run came in the 8th on a routine grounder to 2B where he hesitated slightly on the throw and Clete Thomas beat it out allowing Granderson to score. Just a great game.

But that's not what will be talked about.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3513642489_8b432bc08c_o.jpg

That's Curtis Granderson robbing Grady Sizemore of a game winning 2 run HR.

ESPN's summary with video of the catch. You can hear the Cleveland announcers saying "It's gone! No it's not."

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/clip?id=4153469&categoryid=2521705

That very well might be the greatest catch I've ever seen considering the circumstances. I'll have to wait for the buzz to wear off.

Verlander is really turning it on. Can't say as a Sox fan I'm excited to see him and Cliff Lee pitching so well lately.

Oblong
05-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Apparantly he had a chat with Greinke a few weeks ago and ever since then he's been on fire. He was hitting 99mph in the 9th inning tonight. Cleveland's owned him like the Sox have so it was good test for him. Especially on the road.

Verlander and Lee matched up last Sunday with a similar result.

FloridaTigers
05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Apparantly he had a chat with Greinke a few weeks ago and ever since then he's been on fire. He was hitting 99mph in the 9th inning tonight. Cleveland's owned him like the Sox have so it was good test for him. Especially on the road.

Verlander and Lee matched up last Sunday with a similar result.

Its good to see Verlander finally get over this Cleveland thing he's had since the beginning. Even in '07 he wasn't as dominant as his last couple starts.

DSpivack
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Tough night for Greinke.
8 IP, CG, 1 ER, 5 K's, and a loss. He falls to 6-1.

Nice to see a game with no relievers, though. Joe Saunders got a CG shutout for the Angels.

palehozenychicty
05-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Tough night for Greinke.
8 IP, CG, 1 ER, 5 K's, and a loss. He falls to 6-1.

Nice to see a game with no relievers, though. Joe Saunders got a CG shutout for the Angels.

People here still don't think he's that good. This guy is completing games like Bob Gibson in 1968.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm starting to get worried about the Tigers. Their pitching seems to be coming around.

khan
05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
You know, it doesn't really matter what the rest of the AL Central does. It doesn't matter IF the SOX can't ****ing win 2 games in a row. It doesn't matter if the SOX can't score more than 5 ****ing runs against the craptacular Rangers pitching. It doesn't matter if Gavin Floyd can't stop ****ing walking the entire opposition.
[OK, I'm done. Thanks.]

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm starting to get worried about the Tigers. Their pitching seems to be coming around.

Yeah, I agree. I think Edwin Jackson will probably come back to earth a little, but Porcello looks like he's ready to handle MLB hitters. If Verlander keeps it up, that's a scary rotation.

KC is still looking like the team to beat, though. Bannister is a good #2, and Greinke (though he just can't keep this up all year) is clearly the best pitcher in the league right now. Their bullpen is solid too, unless Soria is out for a long time.

Right now, I don't see the Sox being capable of taking the lead. We only have two real starters, and the aging lineup is full of holes. I don't think we'll fall too far behind, but unless there are some big changes (Floyd figures it out, we get another starter, Alexei remember what a hit is), the Sox don't have enough to separate themselves from the rest of the division.

Average Homeboy
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. I think Edwin Jackson will probably come back to earth a little, but Porcello looks like he's ready to handle MLB hitters. If Verlander keeps it up, that's a scary rotation.

KC is still looking like the team to beat, though. Bannister is a good #2, and Greinke (though he just can't keep this up all year) is clearly the best pitcher in the league right now. Their bullpen is solid too, unless Soria is out for a long time.

Right now, I don't see the Sox being capable of taking the lead. We only have two real starters, and the aging lineup is full of holes. I don't think we'll fall too far behind, but unless there are some big changes (Floyd figures it out, we get another starter, Alexei remember what a hit is), the Sox don't have enough to separate themselves from the rest of the division.

The Tigers are about to get Bonderman back too, for whatever that's worth.

Bannister is no better than a 4 or 5. Meche is their #2, followed by Davies, Luke Hochevar, then Bannister. Greinke will come back down to earth at some point, Meche has struggled, Davies is hit or miss, Hochevar has dominated the PCL this year (makes his debut tonight), and Bannister is likely to look like he did last year, horrible. At least they have Sidney Ponson to fall back on...:redneck

illini81887
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Royals down 9-0 to A's. Real bad west coast road trip for them

thedudeabides
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Royals down 9-0 to A's. Real bad west coast road trip for them

Tough debut for Hochever. 2 IP, 7H, 8ER, 2BB, 1K, 1HR

Average Homeboy
05-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Kansas City gets swept in Oakland.

Crede's grand slam in the 13th takes down Detroit.

Oblong
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
In that MN game, Maggs was called out on strikes and stood there and said something to the umpire. The ump said something back and then gave a gentle push to Maggs to get him out of the box. Leyland came out and I've never seen him so furious. Good for him. If someone even accidentally bumps the ump they get in big trouble and that ump should be suspended for what he did.

sunofgold
05-15-2009, 10:47 PM
against nyy in ny. Was up 4-2 and Twins lose 5-4. Nice to see.

JB98
05-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Minnesota implodes tonight. Cleveland blew a 7-0 lead in Tampa. 7-7 now in the eighth.

This division has bad teams.

sunofgold
05-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Their starter is still in right now. HOping their bullpen blows up as well. Oakland has made four error against Tigers. Only 3 earned runs, rest are gifts. I wish the White Sox receive 6 gift runs. haah

And go Baltimore. Beat KC.

FloridaTigers
05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I hope the Tigs have some runs saved for the rest of the homestand.

Average Homeboy
05-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Greinke gives up 1 run in 7 innings, striking out 6, his ERA is up now to the 0.60.

Royals beat Baltimore 8-1.

sunofgold
05-16-2009, 05:10 PM
ARod goes yard. Very nice. Yankees seem to play well against Twins and Royals. That helps. Only a couple games behind MIN.

SoxGirl4Life
05-16-2009, 07:46 PM
At least Cleveland is keeping pace with us. Lost to TB 4-2.

The battle for the AL Central cellar continues!

Edit: Tigers blow out the A's; KC loses to Baltimore

sunofgold
05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
that would be nice. We get Minnesota next, so keep rolling Yankees. hahah

JB98
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. And they are blowing a golden opportunity to put significant distance between themselves and the White Sox.

DirtySox
05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
So Joe Maddon accidentally penciled in Sonnanstine (today's pitcher) as batting 3rd in the Rays game. He went 1 for 3 with an RBI and 1k. Cleveland is currently losing in the 6th. They don't want to concede that cellar spot it seems.

SoxGirl4Life
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
So Joe Maddon accidentally penciled in Sonnanstine (today's pitcher) as batting 3rd in the Rays game. He went 1 for 3 with an RBI and 1k. Cleveland is currently losing in the 6th. They don't want to concede that cellar spot it seems.

We're the "special" division in baseball this year.

FloridaTigers
05-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I see a pattern here. Tigers sweep Indians. Twins sweep Tigers. Tigers sweep A's.

sunofgold
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Ouch. That has to hurt. And there is one more game in NY for the Twins. Definitely, a beatable Twins team. We play them next at home. We really need to win that series. Twins are 4-11 on the road as well.

JB98
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Carlos Gomez, aka the next Rickey Henderson, is batting .242 with no homers and two RBIs this year. I just noticed that while watching the ninth inning of tonight's Twins-Yankees game.

I'm sure Gomez will go 8-for-12 with three homers against the Sox this week, rekindling Hawk's absurd man love for this mediocre-at-best player.

SoxGirl4Life
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Twins lose.

Battle of two teams that just got swept in a four game series starts tomorrow. We should have a little bit of an edge because we're home.

JB98
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Twins lose.

Battle of two teams that just got swept in a four game series starts tomorrow. We should have a little bit of an edge because we're home.

No surprise there. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Let's make it a 7 game losing streak for them.
The Twins losing always makes my day.

SoxGirl4Life
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
no surprise there. The twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

:smile:

DSpivack
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
No surprise there. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

This should become a soothing chant for White Sox fans, like ohm for Buddhists.

PKalltheway
05-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Twins lose.
With that loss, the Twins are 3-23 in New York since 2002. Ouch.

Let's hope the Sox break out of their skid tomorrow against them.

palehozenychicty
05-19-2009, 12:25 AM
With that loss, the Twins are 3-23 in New York since 2002. Ouch.

Let's hope the Sox break out of their skid tomorrow against them.

The Twins shrivel up when the play the Eastern powers. It's standard for them.

The Sox hopefully see their dorky uniforms tomorrow and get mad. Then even.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I read in the recap of the Min-NYY game that Crede missed two games with back spasms. I wonder how much longer he'll go.

It's kind of sad. Crede was one of my favorite players from the '05 team. I liked his grit and defense. But with the injuries the last two years, I knew it was time for him to go.

Average Homeboy
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
But with the injuries the last two years, I knew it was time for him to go.

Especially since Josh Fields is doing so great!

Marqhead
05-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Dontrelle Willis 1 hitter :?: gives Detroit a win.

That's bad news if he puts it together.

SoxGirl4Life
05-19-2009, 09:51 PM

1 hitter against Texas, no less

SBSoxFan
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM

On the other end of the spectrum, Kerry Wood just gave up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning to blow the game for Cliff Lee at Kansas City. Wood's ERA is now 8.31.

SoxGirl4Life
05-19-2009, 10:54 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, Kerry Wood just gave up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning to blow the game for Cliff Lee at Kansas City. Wood's ERA is now 8.31.

Awful.

DirtySox
05-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Ouch.

SBSoxFan
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Awful.

I must have jinxed him. When I saw the score was 5-2 Cleveland in the 8th, I thought the Sox were going to gain a game tonight on 2 of the 3 teams ahead of them.

johnnyg83
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Great comeback by KC. But 2 HRs, a walk and a shot triple say Wood shares the in their victory.

palehozenychicty
05-19-2009, 11:10 PM

It is the news of the day, undoubtedly. If they get a few wins out of that guy, it could be the difference in this division.

SoxGirl4Life
05-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Great comeback by KC. But 2 HRs, a walk and a shot triple say Wood shares the in their victory.

Cleveland fans are probably ready to chase Wood and Wedge out of town.

TDog
05-20-2009, 12:04 AM

Considering how bad Willis looked against the Twins last week and how long it's been since he pitched a decent game in the major leagues, if this pitching effort had been against the White Sox, there would be a 10-page thread complaining about how the White Sox embarrassed themselves by failing miserably against a pitcher with a 7.71 ERA.

sunofgold
05-20-2009, 01:41 AM
When Willis pitched an one hitter against us for 5 innings. He did have 7 walks. We eventually won that game. I think Willis still has good stuff but has been having horrible control issues.

I would have to see at least one or two more good starts from Willis before declaring him back. Also, he was very injury prone last year.

Oblong
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I was at the Willis game and he looked great. Shocked the hell out of me. I was expecting a massacre and a quick visit to the new sports bar in the OF to watch the Wings/Hawks. He gave up a 2 out 2B in the first and then retired 17 in a row. He only walked 2. His body language is a lot different now.

Still, it's only one start so I don't think too many Tiger fans are getting excited yet. The attitude is more of "This is nice to see since he appears to be a great guy".

ChiSoxGirl
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Apparently I either missed something or am completely out of the loop. When did he rejoin the big club? Last I knew, he was pitching for Lakeland in the Florida State League.... :scratch:

johnnyg83
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
kerry wood loaded bases up 6-5 one out in the ninth

palehozenychicty
05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Tribe hang on for the win.

Average Homeboy
05-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Greinke vs. Carl Pavano tomorrow, should be a duel!

guillensdisciple
05-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Crap, I called this, but the Tigers are playing out of their minds right now.

SoxGirl4Life
05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
First day of interleague in the division:

Win:
Sox
Tigers
Twins

Lose:
Royals
Indians

Damn, that St Louis pitching looks fierce

palehozenychicty
05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Crap, I called this, but the Tigers are playing out of their minds right now.

Their starters are really giving them a lift. The defense has also improved. We all knew that they would hit, but could they stop anyone from scoring? So far, they have.

Average Homeboy
05-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Detroit is doing well. They took 3 from last place Oakland, swept Texas 4-0/5-3/4-3, and took the first of 3 from last place Colorado today.

Before that they were swept by the Twins.

guillensdisciple
05-23-2009, 06:15 PM
On a side note, Nick Swisher blows.

NDSox12
05-23-2009, 09:39 PM
The Tigers seven game winning streak is OVAH! Rockies win 4-3.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Leave it to the Rockies to dismantle the powerful machine that is the Detroit Tigers.

manders_01
05-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Leave it to the Rockies to dismantle the powerful machine that is the Detroit Tigers.

I love it when my other boys come through for my boys! :bandance:

PKalltheway
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Cleveland loses to Cincinnati 4-3 in 11 innings to fall to 17-28. Man, you have to wonder when those vultures will start to circle around the Indians...

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:20 PM
First weekend of interleague:

SOX: 2-1 vs Pirates
DET: 1-2 vs Rockies
KC: 1-2 vs Cardinals
CLE: 1-2 vs Reds
MIN: 2-0 vs Brewers (night game tonight)

PKalltheway
05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
First weekend of interleague:

SOX: 2-1 vs Pirates
DET: 1-2 vs Rockies
KC: 1-2 vs Cardinals
CLE: 0-3 vs Reds
MIN: 2-0 vs Brewers (night game tonight)
Indians won 7-6 on Saturday.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Indians won 7-6 on Saturday.

Oops.. thought I remembered it without looking it up.. Thanks

Whitesoxfan23
05-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Does anybody else STILL cringe when they see Crede in that ugly ass Twins uniform? I sure do.

JB98
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Crede just left the game. He was hit in the hand by a pitch.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Twins are killing the Brewers again. And all their runs from the long ball. Wonder if they're complaining.

luvthetwins
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I would like to thank the White Sox for waking the Twins up and bringing them back to life. :-)

JB98
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Twins are killing the Brewers again. And all their runs from the long ball. Wonder if they're complaining.

It's no surprise the Brewers struggled in the Dome. They are much like the White Sox. They hit for low average and rely on power to score runs. It's difficult to hit home runs in the Metrodome with the air conditioner blowing in.

JB98
05-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I would like to thank the White Sox for waking the Twins up and bringing them back to life. :-)

Returning to the dome is what resuscitated the Twins. They'll be back to sucking next time they go on the road.

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Can't wait till the Twins get out of that trampoline you guys call a baseball stadium. How did that 1 game playoff go for you guys last year? Oh wait... I remember..

SoxGirl4Life
05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Can't wait till the Twins get out of that trampoline you guys call a baseball stadium. How did that 1 game playoff go for you guys last year? Oh wait... I remember..

Oh come on. You know we cheated by winning the coin toss.

luvthetwins
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
You guys need to quit living in the past and get some new lines.

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
You guys need to quit living in the past and get some new lines.

You need to get a life and stop trolling rival teams message boards. :dtroll:

SoxGirl4Life
05-25-2009, 06:18 PM
And this thread was going so well.

Marqhead
05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Tigers kill the Royals, BoSox take out the Twins.

Cleveland is getting rocked by TB.

David Price thew 100 pitches in 3 1/3 and had to leave :o:.

DSpivack
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Tigers kill the Royals, BoSox take out the Twins.

Cleveland is getting rocked by TB.

David Price thew 100 pitches in 3 1/3 and had to leave :o:.

Glad I kept him this long on my fantasy team and started him today [over Volstad, accidentally I could only start one SP today].

DSpivack
05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Indians scored 9 runs in the final two frames to win 11-10. :o:

Oblong
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Did they trade Kerry Wood to TB?

SoxGirl4Life
05-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Did they trade Kerry Wood to TB?

lol.. I just saw that the Indians came back to win that game and I had to look up who was pitching, too. Issy lost it giving up the final two runs, but he had a lot of help from the whole bullpen

TDog
05-26-2009, 12:00 AM
lol.. I just saw that the Indians came back to win that game and I had to look up who was pitching, too. Issy lost it giving up the final two runs, but he had a lot of help from the whole bullpen

That's one way to look at it. He came in with his team up by two and a runner on first with two outs. He walked the first three hitters and gave up a single to Victor Martinez, who had been 0-for-5. Three runs scored when he was in the game, but one was a runner he inherited, with two outs.

Oblong
05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Weather permitting, tonight the Royals and Tigers face off.

Last 3 starts for Edwin Jackson and Zach Greinke...

Jackson: 18 hits, 6 walks, 20 K, 4 ER, 22 IP
Greinke: 18 hits, 4 walks, 19 K, 4 ER, 21 IP

Naturally it'll probably be a 12-8 slugfest.

Iwritecode
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
That's one way to look at it. He came in with his team up by two and a runner on first with two outs. He walked the first three hitters and gave up a single to Victor Martinez, who had been 0-for-5. Three runs scored when he was in the game, but one was a runner he inherited, with two outs.

At one point Carmona threw 19 straight pitches that were not swung at! :o:

Marqhead
05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Greinke pitches another complete game. Best start by a pitcher in over 30 years. 10 starts, and his ERA is still under 1.

Oblong
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The Tigers scored a first inning run so I was hoping that they'd be the first team to get his ERA above 1 for the year but after my calculations it only went up to .94.

This guy's going to have a story book year. The ASG is in St. Louis so it's fitting if he's the starter.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, this guy is simply doing it right now. People thought he'd be a Cy candidate this year, but dag.

Oblong
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Tigers beat the Royals 8-3 to take 2 of 3. I think it's safe to say that outside of Greinke's games, the Royals are very beatable. Rick Porcello finishes up his May with a line of 5-0, 1.50 ERA, 20 K, 10 BB, 30 IP.

doublem23
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Detroit has the best run differential in the American League right now.

:nocomment:

Hitmen77
05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Tigers beat the Royals 8-3 to take 2 of 3. I think it's safe to say that outside of Greinke's games, the Royals are very beatable. Rick Porcello finishes up his May with a line of 5-0, 1.50 ERA, 20 K, 10 BB, 30 IP.

Is this the pitcher the White Sox passed up in the draft in 2007?

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Detroit looks good. Minny's been hot too.

Hopefully, its a dog fight for the division, with the Sox in the middle of it too.

Oblong
05-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Is this the pitcher the White Sox passed up in the draft in 2007?

Like 25 other teams passed up on him. He wanted a ML contract and ended up getting it and over $7 million from the Tigers. Risky move for a HS pitcher but so far he's living up to it. He won't be 21 until December. They are being careful with him.

canOcorn
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Like 25 other teams passed up on him. He wanted a ML contract and ended up getting it and over $7 million from the Tigers. Risky move for a HS pitcher but so far he's living up to it. He won't be 21 until December. They are being careful with him.

You mean like 29 other teams passed on Viciedo, who we signed as a 19 year old, out of Cuba, looks like a DH, to an $11M ML contract? A lot of teams made a mistake (on Porcello), including us. He's living up to the contract and much more.

DSpivack
05-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Matt Wieters making his debut tonight at Camden Yards. The O's are playing the Tigers.

illini81887
05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Very nice everyone in division lost yesterday except the Sox. Way I like it