PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer... He's baaaaaaaack

doublem23
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Twins just activated him, sent some scrub down to the minors

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4122759

Marqhead
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Give it another month and you can make a new thread, Title: : "Joe Mauer... his baaaaaaaaaack (hurts)"

asindc
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Maybe we should start a "Which Twinkee Joe's back will give out first" contest.

oeo
05-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Give it another month and you can make a new thread, Title: : "Joe Mauer... his baaaaaaaaaack (hurts)"

It's got to be rough being a catcher with a back problem.

Did they find out what was causing it? Is it going to be ongoing? If so, as a Sox fan, that's good news, but as a baseball fan, it would suck not seeing a full, healthy career from a guy that will surely go down as one of the game's best catchers of all time.

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Logically, it shouldn't be long before his back on the DL. But over the years it seems as though logic does not really apply to the Twins.

Marqhead
05-01-2009, 03:41 PM
It's got to be rough being a catcher with a back problem.

Did they find out what was causing it? Is it going to be ongoing? If so, as a Sox fan, that's good news, but as a baseball fan, it would suck not seeing a full, healthy career from a guy that will surely go down as one of the game's best catchers of all time.

100% agree. Isn't his back the most recent of his problems? If I recall correctly he has knee surgery a couple years ago?

Still one of the best when he's in there. Happy when he's out as a Sox fan, disappointed as a baseball fan.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2009, 03:57 PM
100% agree. Isn't his back the most recent of his problems? If I recall correctly he has knee surgery a couple years ago?

Still one of the best when he's in there. Happy when he's out as a Sox fan, disappointed as a baseball fan.He's actually been pretty sturdy for a catcher. He came back from the knee injury with no apparent ill effects. From what I read in the Twin Cities papers, they never really figured out why his sacroiliac joint was inflamed, but once they found medication that worked it went away fairly quickly. His biggest threat to longevity behind the plate is his size, IMO. A 6'5" catcher is a rarity.

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
He's actually been pretty sturdy for a catcher. He came back from the knee injury with no apparent ill effects. From what I read in the Twin Cities papers, they never really figured out why his sacroiliac joint was inflamed, but once they found medication that worked it went away fairly quickly. His biggest threat to longevity behind the plate is his size, IMO. A 6'5" catcher is a rarity.

Has there been much talk of him changing positions, or catching less and DH-ing more, as his career progresses?

Soxaredabest
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
We don't face the Twins for 17 more days...what do you guys think, will he be out by then?

MarkZ35
05-02-2009, 12:06 AM
He must be feeling good. He hit a HR the first pitch he saw.

october23sp
05-02-2009, 12:10 AM
We don't face the Twins for 17 more days...what do you guys think, will he be out by then?

Either he'll be injured or in mid-season form.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Has there been much talk of him changing positions, or catching less and DH-ing more, as his career progresses?Not really. Some speculation, but he's such a good catcher, and the Twins don't really have anyone waiting in the wings to take that spot, that they don't talk much about another position. Really, where would they move him? Morneau rules out first base, and I'd hate to see a guy this young and talented relegated to DH too soon. Maybe RF? He certainly has the arm.

TealTank
05-02-2009, 01:53 AM
I know this is going awhile back, but didn't Joe Torre move from catcher to 3rd? I'm sure Mauer could make that move, if the Twins do have somebody to replace him.

And while I don't like seeing Mauer face the White Sox, I prefer to actually play against and beat the best, instead of running away scared.

Madscout
05-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Maybe we should start a "Which Twinkee Joe's back will give out first" contest.
:rolling:

Average Homeboy
05-02-2009, 02:51 PM
It must be tough being a catcher, having knee surgery, back problems, and playing on that ****ty surface every year for half the season.

I bet he's looking forward to the new stadium...

chisox616
05-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I know this is going awhile back, but didn't Joe Torre move from catcher to 3rd? I'm sure Mauer could make that move, if the Twins do have somebody to replace him.

And while I don't like seeing Mauer face the White Sox, I prefer to actually play against and beat the best, instead of running away scared.

Hell even Biggio moved from catcher to second. I know he's a great catcher but I wouldn't rule out him moving positions over time, it's entirely possible.